1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback thread about owls

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by cakesogood, Nov 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    9:34 AM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    Sup owls are currently op for people who can vote on multiple accounts for nx. They are able to get so many owls and merch and buy off the market with no real cost (Rich OG PLAYERS). Currently, there are a few players abusing the owls and monopolising the market buying all cheap scrolls/equips etc and selling for higher. My suggestion to combat this problem is to change owls to cost real Mesos 1mil each. This way it makes a dent on those who are trying to control the UnFree market with a big cost.

New players will be affected by this as they cant owl for free but they can put in the effort and go to each room to check prices. Just like it was in old Maplestory, where owls cost real-life money. Not to mention scroll prices guides exist even though not completely accurate

This way it is fair for people who are unable to vote on multiple accounts for NX
    Rich players will be unable to buy out the market and control it for free.

Why should changes be made again it aligns with server values of Non-vote to win.
    The power of owls are not to be underestimated, they are broken for Merching and being able to use large quantities of them while others can't is very unfair.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    7:34 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  3. OP
    OP
    cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    What I meant by that is that the rich ogs are able to buy out the market cheap and resale due to their wealth

4. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    7:19 AM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    I don't know enough to say if an intervention is required to prevent people from monopolising the market on particular items.

But what my friend and I do is we boycott them. We never buy from them and wait it out by owling regularly for items priced reasonably. Putting a 1mil fee might be counter-effective as we ourselves use owls to boycott them.

If more people boycotted them, it would dissuade people from trying to monopolise any item.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    1:34 AM
    I can see an argument from the perspective of making the server less vote2win, but I think pricing them at 1mil each and thus reducing their availability for most of the playerbase would only really serve to benefit the people creating monopolies.

Unless we were going to put in a rule against creating monopolies, which would be insanely hard to enforce and insanely subjective, the only real way to fight against them is to just not buy from them.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    9:34 PM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    This seems like more of a bandaid than a real solution. IMO the monopolies are only made because supply is garbage on some scrolls since they are gach exclusive. Get rid of gach exclusive scrolls and the problem likely fixes itself. This can be seen with weapon 30%s dropping from cwk and how every weapon scroll price dropped heavily. My suggestion would be to include the armor 30%s as a drop in neo Tokyo. Gives another incentive to do NT now that weapon drops got nerfed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    6:34 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I agree with president here. Monopolies can only be created on items that have no reliable method of farming (think gachapon exclusive items). Also some of the people who merch (or create monopolies) don't abuse owls to do so - they actually browse FM since they are basically merching so many items it doesn't make sense to owl for all of them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OP
    OP
    cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    some key items are much better to merch then other items
    If someone is going to put in the effort to go through all ccs and rooms to monopolise the market they deserve it as it takes hours.while using owl takes seconds and little effort. Putting 1m cost on each owl deters owl spammer players from using them as there is not always a good merch on the items. 1m is not a lot and does not really reduce the number of owls used for regular players. In fact, there would be more owls used overall for all players as there is an unlimited amount to be used a day without sacrificing Nx

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    They do bro especially when its is free with multiple accounts and takes seconds. There are only so few gacha exclusive items to merch off

10. OP
    OP
    cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    not true if u can use 1mil to do so it isn't a lot especially when you're not trying to merch them and using the owl once

11. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    6:34 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    First off there is no way for you to actually know if they are using owls or not since you do not have access to other peoples cash shop history.

I have actually seen these people BROWSE FM, going through each FM and checking items for sale. This is even easier now that there is an HD client which lets you click on all of the stores from the beginning portal.

Either way, saying that owls are a problem is like saying "having an efficient means of bringing together buyers and sellers in an economy is a problem". I don't know about you, but to me this sounds ridiculous.

There doesn't need to be any change made to owls, if anything, they should be made even cheaper!

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. OP
    OP
    cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    1m or 500k should be fine as long as you dont owl spam every hr on multiple items

13. ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    1m is a lot to an awful lot of players, though, especially with recent surge of newer players to the server. Hell, even at my level where I'm able to earn 8m an hour + whatever I get from drops selling leech, I would be reluctant to spend 1m on an owl. With the current system, owls are effectively free for the majority of players (most players have at least two ips to vote on. It's a very small minority who don't).

The majority of people who merch to the point of price gouging and monopolising don't use owls extensively for this. It wouldn't make any sense to since they're looking around for so many items. People do obviously use owls for merching, which is a different thing to monopolising, but it would be a drop in the ocean compared to what they're making so I don't see that this would make any difference to them. The people it would make a difference to are the people for whom 1m is a lot of money.

14. OP
    OP
    cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    Well what if 500k? honestly, I rather spend Mesos than sacrifice ap resets as a new player

15. OP
    OP
    cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    Well I do know cuz i actually asked some of the rich people. What do you think they spend nx on multiple accounts that they have then besides owls.

16. ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    Reducing the price would potentially solve the problem of this being detrimental to new players who don't have money to waste, but
    1) it's an arbitrary line to draw at that point
    2) it still wouldn't make it any better of a solution to the perceived problem of merching

The only problem that having it buyable with mesos instead of NX would solve is the vote2win nature of it, which I don't think is something to be understated, but is a very different problem to the one you seem to be focussing on.

17. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    FYI changing owl won't change the monopolized market. The same person has been doing it for a while before voting changes.

Changing owl to be buyable with mesos won't help for the same reasons people mentioned.

It's also not viable because it harms regular players along with the merchants. If we were to impose something like this, it should only affect small number of population.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Jolly_Walker

Jolly_Walker Chronos

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    JollyWalker
    I/L Arch Mage
    Before vote abuse/cash gachapon was removed from server, people were still monopolising stuff.
    And back then you could only vote on 1 account, and theres people who washed during then, not buying pets, pet loot, autopot, owls, smegas etc.

Back then some people sold owl services, smega services for 250k-300k and even then only high level players bought them.

19. moomins

moomins Mixed Golem

Jun 15, 2019
    Male
    2:34 PM
    Moomins
    Bishop
    Potato
    I vote 5 times a day for washing 3 characters and owls/megaphones so I feel guilty about this. I think it's unfair that some people can't vote at all or can't vote on multiple accounts.

Some factors I've considered... (also for the AP reset thread about washing multiple characters)
    • Gtop ranking is important so keeping the incentives for voting (AP resets, owls, megaphones, cosmetics, ...) must stay. Multi-voting people should continue doing so to help the server. Voting must stay
    • Introducing another source of NX will still cause an imbalance between people who can vote on gtop and those who can't. An extra source of nx (such as in-game) is not the solution to this problem
    • If there's an alternative way to get the daily NX (that's not voting), it may switch gtop voters to the alternative method. The alternative method must be worse than gtop voting to not affect voting.
    My suggestion: an alternative way to get your daily NX (can't do both)

suggest.png

The alternative way: my suggestion but can be anything...
    a 10-question multi-choice test (from a pool of questions) on important terms and conditions that staff wish the players understood better

Why?
    It would take time to learn the answers so people would rather do gtop if they can (even if its difficult to do gtop... example: having to reset the internet)

examples:

Is asking your friend if you can login their bishop to leech yourself allowed?
    -yes
    -no

What is the punishment for real world trading?
    -permanent ban: you can never as a person play maplelegends again
    -ban: your account is banned but you can make a new account
    -14d ban if it's your first ban, permanent ban if it's your second ban

Eventually people who cant do GTOP would know the answers without needing to reference the terms and conditions and can get their daily NX a bit faster
    • accomplishes the goal of understanding the terms and conditions better in some of the player population
    • everyone should have access to multi-voting if they care to do the test multiple times a day
    • less likely to affect GTOP voting (it could be done as a trial to see if it affects GTOP voting)
    Might be a big task to set it up I guess. Just a suggestion!

• Creative Creative x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  20. itzptr

itzptr Blue Snail

Apr 28, 2019
    I think this is a great suggestion, too many times GTOP has bugged out or failed altogether. It also lets us move away from the GTOP monopolization of Maple servers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.