1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Remove "Player has chosen to not lose fame"

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by artificial, Dec 29, 2019.

Should we allow defames?

1. Yes

58 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. artificial

artificial Orange Mushroom

Feb 12, 2018
    7:36 AM
    DirtyDildo
    F/P Wizard
    If this game is going for nostalgia, I should be able to defame someone who is being a lil punk. By having the default being "Player has chosen not to lose fame" I can't defame anyone!!! You know how Youtube wants to remove the dislike button from videos? This is the same thing but in maplestory. I want to be able to dislike someone when I deem it time.

• Agree Agree x 9
  2. Haku

Haku Dark Stone Golem

Nov 29, 2019
    Haku, Avoid
    Night Lord
    Agape
    Harassment is also against the ToS so if you believe they are, you may screenshot it for proof and report the person for abuse.

3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    4:36 PM
    Moderator Post
    We have currently no interest in making this change. Or well, I don't. Pretty much in every server there's petty drama over defames, people using mules to mass defame someone, picking on fights over defames, or overall just causing a bad experience to user(s). Like summoning sacks they bring absolutely nothing positive into the server.

If you want to 'dislike' someone you can do it by simply not talking to that person. Is that person violating a rule that causes you to dislike him, report it.

This feature has been changed since early 2016 and I have never seen anything bad from this change outside of a feedback thread once a year.

The fact the fame can be changed by quests and whatnot anyway makes the 'dislike' means absolutely nothing outside of a negative poke.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Shinohara

Shinohara Headless Horseman

Mar 31, 2017
    Calderock Village
    11:36 PM
    Saratoga / Sogohara / Tsushima
    Bishop
    ☆ Aqours ☆
    In another note, if you're getting annoyed by someone to the point of disliking them in a game like MS.
    You know its time to take a short break to cool off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    I believe I was one (if not one of many) who brought Kimmy to her current decision. Consider the following scenario and then look at the two main arguments below.
    If we were playing with classic GMS rules, I could defame you 30 times if you were just standing in the FM afk. Let's assume you could do that to me, too. Great - now I just fame my own character 24 times per month. You'll have long forgotten about me after a month, and I'm going to continue to make myself look awesome.

1. When I took Kimberly's premise that mass defaming is a form of harassment, then the contrapositive must also be true; mass faming yourself must also be a form of harassment. It wouldn't seem like it on its face, but when you delve into the original purpose of the fame system, it very much is a form of harassment because, like I showed above, I can continue to fame myself into looking like I should be well trusted, but in reality it's all deception and the defames I've accumulated from being a jerk has all been effectively erased - which, in an admittedly convoluted way, allows me to harass others without repercussion from the community. (I do emphasize "community" as I still face repercussions from the administrators).

2. I also looked at Kimberly's premise that mass defaming is a form of harassment and noted one serious problem. If the game allows me to defame, why isn't there something in the programming to prevent me from mass-defaming? It is completely inappropriate to give someone a thing that has a particular function, and then say you're not allowed to use that function without punishment (in this case, being banned). If the game's parameters allows for such functions, then you cannot hold the players responsible for utilizing that function. This is where Kimberly instituted the function that allowed you to choose to gain and/or lose fame at your discretion. Some people want to have an exact amount of fame and do not want it changed, so it is possible to keep your fame static now.

In the end, Neckson thought the fame system would work well in promoting accountability within the community. Sadly, it failed miserably. There are too many complicating factors that make it infeasible to use as a reliable way to keep players' behaviors in check. The best thing to do is just forget them. If they've done something that breaks the ToS, you can report them. And you can always Blacklist them, too, to make sure they can't talk to you unless they're in the same map as you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    4:36 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Main reason I don't like having my defame option on.
    Because we're in 2019 and even when I saw Hej to someone they think I'm being provocative and start shouting at me.

No thanks, keep it this way, I don't like being harassed / mass defamed by 13 yo kids that can't take some sarcasm.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    artificial

artificial Orange Mushroom

Feb 12, 2018
    DirtyDildo
    F/P Wizard
    I can understand how MASS DEFAME can be harassment, but a single defame? Can't really be a big deal. It's like flipping off someone for cutting you off on the freeway, it doesn't actually hurt them, but it shows them what they did was inconsiderate. The fame system has never been to promote accountability, it's just one of those extra pieces of flair you get.

The voting is 22 (For defame)- 6 (Against defame) right now, which is roughly 80/20. That seems to me like a pretty solid majority. I can understand why you would want to prevent mass defame (maybe even make it harrassment), but sometimes you want to defame your friend for the lulz or some kid who is being rude to you, or someone who loots the top plat of your skele map... Defame can be a powerful tool. I don't even know how to turn it on or off to be honest with you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. PrettyLights

PrettyLights Timer

Oct 11, 2017
    Na I don't see any benefit for it. Doesnt add anything fun or interesting to the game, its just something negative and causes a lot of fuss among people. If anything I'd suggest to remove fame entirely.

9. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    10:36 AM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Just because public wants something doesn't mean we will implement them in the server.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Sure, a single defame isn't that big of a deal, but figure how the administrators would then have to investigate claims of mass defame. The individual would have to screenshot all the defames they acquired (assuming they were aware of it and not afk in the FM at the time) and then the admins would have to investigate whether these players are all on the same account. If there are multiple accounts, then they have to investigate whether or not these all stem from the same player (and a simple IP address should reveal that) - but then we hit the same major problem the MapleLegends staff has run into time and time again. What if two players, who live together, choose to defame the same person? It appears as if it's the same person as they may have separate accounts, they do have the same IP address. Should the admins ban the two players under the misunderstanding that they are actually two people who happen to both be playing from the same location? And, again, these single defames are easily erased from simply buying fame from someone.

If the fame system were revamped, then maybe. It would have to be the same type of fame system as done on the forums for a post. Everyone gets exactly one vote, and the vote stays permanent until the player chooses to adjust it. In the case of a mass-defame, people are going to quickly see the same names on the list for "defame" and you can get the idea that either this person has managed to piss off one person or a particular group of people (guild?).

I understand your desire to flip them the bird, but defaming them is no different then telling them to f*** off. It's easier for everyone, especially the admins who we all would prefer spent more time on game development than community behavior management. Oh, and if someone loots your map w/o your permission, take a snapshot after you type in the command @mapowner and file the complaint. The offender will get a warning (unless they already had a previous warning and then they might get banned).

11. Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    According to the Terms of Service, this warrants a ban, not a warning, under 3.3 Harassment. Warning is only if the staff taking action believes it to be a light offense.

12. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    Which they typically do just give a warning - at least that has been my experience.

13. Precel

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    It all depends on the context but I was simply pointing out the misinformation that the offender will receive a warning unless they were already warned. They are subject to a ban right away.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Dvah

Dvah Pac Pinky

Mar 21, 2018
    Male
    Africa I guess
    5:36 PM
    Dvah
    Dark Knight
    UpperLeveL
    Neckson said the same and look at gms now :)

edit why I can’t write n-exon

15. itzjaheezy

itzjaheezy Chronos

Sep 6, 2017
    Male
    Gitsniks
    Paladin
    Hazel
    Wait I want all the defames :^) but honestly people should be so butt hurt over a mechanic that doesn't benefit you in anyway except for wearing "dark" armor kekw

• Agree Agree x 1