1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wrath of Octopi

Discussion in 'Closed/Resolved' started by MrPresident, Jul 21, 2019.

1. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    12:03 PM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Description of the bug: (optional screenshot/video): With the corsair skill wrath of octopi you should be able to summon multiple octopus as seen in the link below. Currently only 1 can be summoned at a time and summoning another deletes the first. At 1:58 the corsair summons 1 octopus and at 2:20 summons another and both of them are active which is how the skill should function. Using the skill description we should be able to summon 3-4 octopus (I think GMS limited it to 3 summons at max level). They way it should work is that octopus A is summoned at 0 seconds and expires at 40 seconds, octopus B is summoned at 10 seconds and expires at 50 seconds, octopus C is summoned at 20 seconds and expires at 60 seconds, octopus D is summoned at 30 seconds and expires at 70 seconds, by the time octopus E is ready octopus A is expired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcObYpa10_4

upload_2019-7-21_15-20-51.png

What is supposed to happen?: Be able to summon more than 1 octopus at a time
    Where did you find and/or notice this bug?:
    A step-by-step guide to re-producing this bug (optional):
    Extra information (optional):

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    9:03 AM
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    What I find the most offensive about this skill is the name. The plural ending of a word ending in 'us' is turned into an 'i' in Latin. Octopus is Greek and the proper Greek conjugaton is Octopodes. Since everything in here is written in English, the plural form can simply be Octopuses. So while Octopodes and Octopuses are both acceptable, Octopi is just flatly wrong.

[I should post this is the OCD thread]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    1:03 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    [​IMG]

Today I learned... of this incredible debate. Honestly really intrigued by it (no sarcasm). But https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/the-many-plurals-of-octopus-octopi-octopuses-octopodes

If the oldest dated term is "octopi" can we really say its flatly wrong? English is just a really weird language with no real consistency in terms of anything. It just adopts things as it develops, so if the development of octopus in English became "octopi" maybe it's just part of the language at this point. Two examples would be the words "literally" (which now includes 'figuratively' and 'literally' as its definitions) and "decimated" (which originally meant to destroy just 1/10th of something, to now mean absolutely obliterated).

English is super annoying but also super interesting to bitch about xD

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    Historically, people in the 19th century had some very weird misconceptions about how the world should function. Sometimes they were just flat obstinate. When obstinate people make a decision first, I don't think that's enough to entitle them to win the argument. =o)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    1:03 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Definitely agree :p But for languages, its usually first is the winner. We call something 'orange' now because someone arbitrarily thought of a word and called it exactly what the orange fruit was called (interesting fact of the day, orange the fruit came first before orange as a color).

As for how the skill is supposed to operate, that would actually make a lot of sense LOL and make it seem much better

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bertholdt

Bertholdt Slime

Aug 29, 2017
    Male
    Montreal
    Bertholdt
    Corsair
    Honor
    Could the summoning speed for the octopi skill be revised as well? Personally, I feel like it is very slow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Agree on the summoning speed. Its slowness kills its utility to increase dpm.

8. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Btw, apparently you can use ship to cancel the lag of this skill. While on ship, use octopi, then dismount and remount. You can summon it quite a bit faster without dealing with the lag.

With this in mind, I would really like for this bug to be fixed. With the dismount cancels, this skill really adds to corsair gameplay.

9. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    bump LF>update as to whether this is acknowledged as a bug or not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. DioBrando

DioBrando Blue Snail

Apr 1, 2020
    Male
    6:03 PM
    TheWorld
    As a Sair I wonder if it's actually worth skilling Wrath of Octopi since it's pretty much useless because it doesn't work properly. Should I just go for RF or Torpedo instead?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
  12. spencil2

spencil2 Zakum

Dec 17, 2017
    Male
    GetSmoked
    Corsair
    I wouldn't mind just increasing the duration to compensate for not being able to spawn multiple octopi. Would be nice to have it last for a minute to match up with epm/dpm timers

13. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Eternals
    I'm playing my Outlaw right now. For all the quirkiness of the class, this skill is about on average with the rest of the skills - they all have incredibly useful purposes, but are all weak as hell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Pasta

Pasta Game Developer Staff Member Game Developer

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    Pastaland
    6:03 PM
    Moderator Post
    Looks like it is finally time for the crew to expand -

[​IMG]

• Great Work Great Work x 33
  15. Feeed