1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

HT timer discussion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Selquin, May 2, 2019.

1. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    6:52 PM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I definitely agree with this sentiment. After playing Bishop on horntail, other classes feel super easy.

Also I really do think that a lot more bishops would be willing to try out horntail if magic guard wasn't dispelled. As it stands right now, bishops just are not getting rewarded enough for the effort they need to put into horntail.

They could just use less effort and sell leech and end up getting MORE exp and MORE mesos.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    just remember old GMS HT did the same thing :") , dont kill the left arm and it wont mass dispel. its that easy, but people choose to take it out first.

3. Rockler

Rockler Mixed Golem

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    Sweden
    3:52 AM
    Nude
    Night Lord
    Scamure
    Just get 5,6k hp on your bishop and ur fine if dispel happends :geek:
    Kinda easy with all hp items u can get

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Soniii

Soniii Mixed Golem

Apr 10, 2015
    Female
    Chicago, IL
    ImSinXD
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    The good old days oozie. Pepehands

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. FeroxAnima

FeroxAnima Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    4:52 AM
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    Those mentions just made me really happy XD FishyFishy AlyoshaAlyosha :heart:
    I actually *did* start writing a guide but it came out even longer than the ones I wrote to people in Discord DMs and I hated it so I just killed it altogether. XD (Imagine: writing a crapton of text and then closing the tab. SeemsGood)
    I'll try to rewrite it soon and post it here for everyone.

That said, please don't make dispel skip MG. ;-;
    It's true that Bishop is harder but this is also exactly the reason running HT as a Bishop is the one and only gameplay (NOT SOCIAL, friends > all) activity I still truly enjoy in MS. There's just so much to it. It may seem to people like sometimes it's just luck, praying not to get caught in a badly-timed dispel & damage combo, but with the right strategies, you literally take the luck element out of the equation (and if you only follow 90% of them, you reduce that element into being almost insignificant). But it's *hard* to do, requires knowledge and practice, and that's just why I love it.
    I assure you that when I follow my own rules and run using the strategies I've constructed, I do not die in HT. When I rarely do die, it's because I knowingly neglect to follow one rule or another with a kind of "meh, it'll be okay" mindset and then regret it, and therefore I also know exactly why I died (and the fault does not lie with RNGesus; it lies with me).

I'll try to get around to writing that asap, though. Been wanting to for ages ;-;

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    • Friendly x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Informative x 1
  6. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    9:52 PM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Agree with this. I think people want things to be made easier without trying to learn the mechanics that are already in game. With the changes made to animations happening first it makes it possible to react to the boss rather than guessing what's coming. There are only like 4 animations to watch for (prehead sed, arm sed, left arm dispel, mid head dispel) so it's not even asking that much for an end game boss imo. I do think bishops have the hardest job in HT but it isn't so hard that something needs to be changed about it.

As to the original topic I think the timer should be increased to either 3 or 4 hours. As others have said I think 6 man HTs are just the normal run now so a 2 hour timer locks out lower level or weaker attackers which I think is unfair. It really drives a point of being a ranged character with good damage or else you're not welcome which I don't agree with. Increasing the timer length would give more freedom to take a weaker class or a newer player.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Justin Ha

Justin Ha Red Snail

Feb 20, 2019
    Male
    8:52 PM
    Night Lord
  8. FeroxAnima

FeroxAnima Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Dec 29, 2017
    Male
    4:52 AM
    Zelretch/HerSlave
    Bishop
    Horny/Muse
    The changes for animations definitely made it easier, especially when it comes to sed; but bad-luck-dispel-deaths aren't any less likely to happen without employing the proper strategies c; (i.e knowing when dispel's about to happen was never the main issue; it was living through it when the timing is bad enough.)
    Also, watching for animations is just a very small part of it; at least if you wanna make full use of your abilities as a bishop. B)
    But yup ❤ I agree.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  9. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I just really wana solo the dragon, I miss the 12 hour timer.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    I think a 3hr timer would be more acceptable

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Let's push for a 6 hour timer so we can duo it.

12. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Bump

3-4 hour timer would probably be ideal. I don't really want to run 12-mans, it's tough to organize all those people but finding 6 decent people would be nice. You'd just need a good bishop at the core then 5 anybodies.

Horntail isn't really for casual players anymore. Trying to get in a good number of runs every week can be fairly difficult as a 16x attacker as a lot of the hosts had to become picky with who is accepted in their squads. It's fairly tight to as to what can be done in order to effectively kill Horntail while staying in the 2 hour timer. Understandably it's only the most reliable people that prosper and there becomes a gap. If you're good then you don't have nearly as much reason to run with 2 party HT, it offers less exp and less money overall. Quite a few of the ones left to 2 party HT are those who still haven't discovered they have DC issues, or people that need HB 100%, or don't quite 100% grasp the concepts and abilities. It's even worse when trying to find a good bishop, as when a good one is discovered they're immediately nabbed by almost every 1 party squad who would take them.

Parties being limited to 6 people is a fairly large hindrance to 2 party squads. 8 man runs would probably be a lot of fun and fairly easy within a 2 hour time limit, but which 2 are left out of the main party? Currently people can only choose between running 4-6 mans or 9-12 mans. It's because of this that hosts need to be picky in small teams and the rewards are diminished in large teams, pushing all of the best candidates away and making the fight more difficult overall.

I believe that the 2 hour time limit choked out casual HT runs. It also pushed people towards trying new metas in bringing in more unique mules, and increasing the gap further. People were concerned about DPMs before the timer change, but decreasing it exacerbated reliability and DPM to new levels, as runs now hinged on incredible damage and performance in order to further optimize and lower the number of individuals necessary to kill the dragon.

Honestly I think 3-4 hours would be fair for the Horntail timer. Sometimes I just want to casually kill him, and to do it with 5 random friends/guildmates. SE would be able to die without failing the run. Or we could just bring all melee and not be too concerned about Night Lords and Bowmasters. I wouldn't care half as much if a person was really good or had really good gear, and we could run based on who we enjoy playing the game with over who we need in order to succeed in killing Horntail.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. OP
    OP
    Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    7:52 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I don't really know whether of not we should increase the timer at this point, but it should be pointed out that there are indeed some positive outcomes of reducing to 2 hours. Up until the recent timer changes the prices of all HT books would constantly drop in price, at some point MW20 was down to roughly 180m or so. It got to the point where the combination of paying for pots/atk pots and atrocious book prices made people feel like HT was not worth doing anymore. Having endgame content like HT die out like this is probably not healthy for the game. Nowadays book prices are surprisingly stable, with MW20 sitting at roughly 300m and not falling too much from its initial price spike when kimmy "nerfed" the droprates. We cannot deny that the 2hour timer had a large role in balancing the HT markets.
    If you are somewhat familiar with the current and former HT squads, it should be pretty easy to note that the current regular HT squads are much smaller and composed of higher level people. In particular are a lot more level 200 players on HT runs, and when you do HT as a level 200 you obviously gain no experience. The only incentive lvl 200's have to do HT is to make money, and thus unlike the players in the past who use to blitz through HT using mountains of attack pots for experience and immediately crash the spoils, the current group of HT runners have far more incentive to minimize atk pot usage and maintain high book prices.
    Indeed there are clear benefits from making the timer change, and in retrospect I think it was the right thing to do. We did however have to pay a price for this. Two party runs that are more willing to take in new/low leveled players have almost gone extinct, and as previously mentioned most of the regular HT groups consist of the same handful of tryhards. The timer restriction has caused people to scrutinize dpm to a greater degree and it is a lot harder for weaker/inexperienced players to get into HT. HT has become a lot more elitist in general. Now this isn't necessarily even a bad thing, HT is the current endgame boss and you can argue that it is suppose to be difficult and only doable by the highest caliber of players.
    While the timer change caused some players to become discourage and less willing to run HT, it also pushed some of us to find further optimization to overcome the new barrier. People started to investigate their true effective dpm with @dpm 45, which resulted in us realizing that some classes are a long stronger than they are perceived to be (shadowers, bishops) and some classes are substantially worse than their perception (archers, buccs, corsairs). Bishops became much better at keeping the dispel timer and started attacking regularly along with the other attackers, which was crucial in cutting a good chunk of time. Ranged attackers finally stopped wasting time and attacking the wing when the right head is cancelled and started to use methods to hit the mid head instead. Ideas such as dex buccs and high HP bishops started to come into play to make runs with even less people possible. And of course last but not least, the timer changes led us to the greatest innovation of our time, giving us the true silver bullet solution to all timer related concerns in the form of the Heavens Hammer mule. These days apples are hardly touched by many HT groups, and even 6man runs are considered to be hilariously easy. With many mules soon coming to completion, the current push is towards 3-4man runs, perhaps an even more elitist landscape is soon to come!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I agree strongly with alyosha in terms of the results. However, although the benesits described by selquin are real, I think that they are not going to last forever.

Skillbook prices dropped in the past with the long HT timer because there was lot of excess supply due to ALOT of parties running horntail. I personally would continue to run horntail even if I never made any actual profit out of the runs until I reach level 200. This is because HT is one of the MOST effective ways to gain exp for end game attackers.

Once enough people get strong enough (and finish their HH mules I guess) and start running HT consistently, skillbook prices will drop again, as supply will go up (Unless staff nerfs the drop rates on the books). These people will keep running horntail, because its fun and very solid exp.

15. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Imagine if there’s no multi client in bossing OnionMuha

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    9:52 AM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    nerf hh i hate playing pally being called a mule

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Starbright

Starbright Slime

Oct 24, 2019
    NightRose
    Priest
    WeenIeHutJr
    This... right here.

I was once in a server that has since run it’s course, but at one point was quite popular which disallowed multi-client in bosses (it was allowed elsewhere). This was done to discourage the use of mules and encourage larger groups and thus community involvement. While it was well-receive there, making a change this big to an established server would no doubt cause uproar and splinter the community. This is not exactly the same as old GMS. Disabling multi-client (even if VMware was disallowed) is also not a perfect solution as it still gives an advantage to players who own multiple PCs.

As far as the time limit goes, I’m a very new player to Legends and don’t have much experience with the community yet. I do look forward to running Horntail someday, but that’s pretty far off. As a bishop main with over 10 years of experience under my belt... I guess I have good prospects once I‘ve gotten strong and involved.

As someone who has organized runs for Zak, HT and a plethora of post-Big Bang bosses I agree that smaller squads of stronger players are easier to organize. Yes we did host 30-man HT runs back in the day. It was chaotic. It was fun. But it was a lot of stress and planning. Getting a single party together is easier than multiple, especially on a private server with a smaller population than old Maple. Throw time zones into the mix and finding a time for people all around the world to get together and HT is challenging. That said, it’s also fun to bring along your friends and see how fast you and your buds can down the baddest boss v62 has to offer without worrying about time or power.

I’m not sure what to say about the two hour timer, other than that in current Maple Chaos HT can be killed by an unfunded player in seconds. If most squads are 6-man groups that can clear the boss with plenty of time remaining then it’s not terribly relevant.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Samyy

Samyy Slime

Jul 18, 2017
    Male
    LolitsSam
    Assassin
    My opinion about this is that the 2 hour timer is just not enough, most ppl wanna be able to just make fun runs and not be picky about what classes to bring to ht. Back in the day in gms i used to do ht with ppl who had 15x chars 16x 18x 20x it all didnt matter that much cause ppl just wanted to have fun and get exp from ht and a lil split. Now with the 2 hour timer ppl only want high lvls exclude certain classes and are only whining about how much dmg you can do to beat the 2 hour timer. What i am saying is give ppl more chances to get in ht by increasing the timer to atleast 4hours which is still lower then the 12 hours oldschool gms. It will bring back the fun and make 6man cleave partys also viable to make it fair and if ppl wanna do 2-3 mans so be it that's their choice. Btw everyone that doesn't support this idea probably brings 2 hh mules to ht and just wants to keep market prices up on books so they can claim it all for themselves.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Breaklimits

Breaklimits King Slime

Feb 10, 2018
    Male
    Breaklimits
    Pirate
    ornhub
    I agree with this the thing is that ppl want the least amount of players involved to get most amount of mesos.
    That for im 165 buccaneer and iv never been to any ht since all they want is 4 nightlords 1 bm a bishop
    I think to solve this issue either raise timer to 4 hours or....
    Ballance classes especialy nightlord.
    Nightlords without se are fine but with is to strong.
    I thought about a fair ballance and the best option i came up with is cap crit dmg to 200%
    That way nightlords only get crit chance from se and still helps them w.o making them op.
    Either that so it wont be maple(nightlord)legends
    But just a fair ballanced maplelegends.
    Also a good idea is to buff cleave for buccaneer but thats dif subject tbh.
    But there has to be done something to make ppl go ht on all classes

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta

You are only level 165. Most of the people in legends who run 1 party horntail are playing level 18x (or higher) optimal DPS classes with very good gears.

In your case, I would suggest trying to join some large guilds that host horntail runs, or perhaps join one of the horntail discords like cross guild bossing discord.

It is defintely possible to get the "experience" of doing horntail at your level in 2 party runs, but you are probably not yet strong enough to carry your own weight in a 1 party run.

If you want to just do optimal 1 party runs for the thick mesos and exp, I think you need to focus on leveling up your character a bit more and then host your own runs. We just have to come to terms with the fact that when people host boss runs they are not going to want to pick suboptimal dps classes.