1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Leech

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Caenyss, Jan 7, 2020.

1. Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    7:52 AM
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    Hi,

I'm wondering if leeching is considered an issue in ML?
    I've seen a lot of posts about guides, sellers, buyers etc, but I can't find a discussion about leeching as a whole and how it impacts the game.

I'm currently neutral about it, though I would like to know more about other players or staff opinions.

I can see both sides, it's bad because it over-empowers sellers economically and it's an incentive to AFK lvling but, it takes a huge dedication and invested time by the seller to provide a decent service, and then at the same time it helps some players with less free time to be able to enjoy higher lvls, though arguably this is supposed to be an oldschool server where time and dedication is needed.

What am I missing? What are your thoughts about leeching?

• Like Like x 2
  2. moomins

moomins Mixed Golem

Jun 15, 2019
    Male
    8:52 PM
    Moomins
    Bishop
    Potato
    I don't think AFK leveling is quite right. You need to get the mesos from somewhere to buy leech. Once you grind a bit you'll get meso and then decide what to spend it on.

I think the problem is that leech is far too good exp that buying equipment is usually not worth it until you are very high level. For example imagine you're a fresh 120. You can spend a hundred mil getting upgrades for maybe a 10% increase in damage. Or you could spend that all on leech and end up getting a higher level character with cheap gear but still doing more damage because of skills and more base stats.

It's true that buying equipment is almost free because you can sell it to get your meso back. But as a low leveled character your income and exp rate is just too low compared to when you're able to boss (or leech if you're a mage).

This means you skip out on a lot of the maple journey for efficiency and you feel like you're not even playing the game until you're at a higher level. Not everyone plays like this though.

Reducing leech exp a bit might be a solution so that it's not a no-brainer to buy leech. But then newer players might feel it's unfair so I think it's highly likely leech will remain as it is.

One option could be increasing exp if you kill a monster. Currently the exp formula is so that if someone kills a monster, the party members get ~50% of the exp that the killer gets (less if you're below the average party level significantly). If kill exp can be increased by 50% (for example), but the leechers still get the same exp:

before: Killer (10000 exp) party member (5000 exp)
    after: Killer (15000 exp) party member (5000 exp)
    (could be done by increasing base exp for monsters, but decreasing split %exp for party members)

this way leech is not affected but actually playing the game becomes more attractive. But again older players might think it's unfair... (the game becomes so much easier for first characters)

I can't think of any practical changes :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    3:52 PM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    too late to change leech been in game too long will have lots of complains
    training with int is a terrible feeling too

anyways my stance on this is fair trade. seller suffers for money while buyer suffers paying money. Fair Deal

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Caenyss

Caenyss Capt. Latanica

Jan 30, 2018
    Male
    Lisbon
    Caenyss
    Bowmaster
    Ok so, what if there was a level limit on leech, not from the monster but from the other player?

Example: for a lvl 70 player, let's say we put a limit of 30 levels, this means that the lvl 70 player would only be able to leech from other players that are up to lvl 100.

Leech would still be present, just less efficient.

5. Yasushi

Yasushi Slime

Mar 22, 2017
    3:52 AM
    Lizeth
    White Knight
    N/A
    lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    1:52 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    A typical high level non-mage character actually spends very little proportion of their total playtime on leeching. Of course there are a good handful of people who choose to self leech themselves far past 120, but the majority of people stop leeching around the point where they hit 4th job and start gaining experience through area bosses/shaolin parties/bossing. This is true even more so at high levels (say 160+), where practically no one leeches their attackers in this level range and most of the exp is gained from bossing.
    Leeching is only a dominant issue for players whose lifetimes consists mainly of the lvl 65-120 range, for established players hanging on a rope for experience represents a small portion of their total experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    12:52 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Main issue with leech is the old school party exp split.

Current exp split is 80:40 meaning that leechers get half the exp that the attacker does which is obviously way too much.

To properly fix leeching, the split would need to be changed to 90:30. This way leechers only get 1/3 the exp of the attacker and its more inline with party grinding.

8. Vowels

Vowels Slimy

Jan 23, 2019
    4:52 AM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 11
    • Like x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Great Work x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. ShadowRealm

ShadowRealm Chronos

Jun 18, 2018
    Shadower
    Nerfing the exp party members getting leeched for 65-120 would be the best solution. Removing leech would upset newer generation of players since its been out there for a long time.

• Funny Funny x 4
  10. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    3:52 PM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    nerf for what leech isnt op u have to make money to leech and it aint cheap man. Usually people mix leeching and grinding to have an enjoyable experience and not burn out.

11. Dvah

Dvah Pac Pinky

Mar 21, 2018
    Male
    Africa I guess
    9:52 AM
    Dvah
    Dark Knight
    UpperLeveL
    wtf?

12. PrettyLights

PrettyLights Timer

Oct 11, 2017
    It's too late to change but I think it negatively impacts the game. There is almost no party play in maps except for end game bosses or the odd PQ.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Knighthatzi

Knighthatzi Slime

Jun 22, 2019
    Male
    Melbourne, Australia
    6:52 PM
    HatziS
    Bishop
    This is a .62 server, back when it was GMS one of the 1st things they changed was the exp distribution, if the server is set to a particular time stamp then thats what it is. There are a number of things that could be changed about the game but its the way it was, back in GMS though leeching wasnt really a thing because the exp was 1x, only reason leech is viable in this server is due to the XP rate allowing you to get a easy lvl in 1 hour of leech if not if your under 120

14. Orion

Orion Red Snail

Jun 25, 2017
    Male
    United Kingdom
    Riesevelt
    Priest
    WeenieHutJrs
    Anything that encourages AFK behaviour to progress is going to be detrimental to the experience of the players occupying the level ranges where such practice is common.

To be honest, though, leeching has become such a foundational mechanic in the server (both economically and otherwise) that it's arguably unfeasible to remove or adjust. For one, reducing the ability of new players to leech will slow their progression compared to the people who've already had an opportunity to use it, making it a bit unfair on the later generations.

Besides, you need only look at the presence of #leech in the Discord to see that it's a mechanic supported and endorsed by the staff team - and that's, imo, the correct decision.