1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Wipe Characters Past 3-4+ Years

Discussion in 'Rejected' started by Arlo, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Arlo

Arlo Red Snail

Jan 9, 2020
    Male
    4:25 PM
    Hunter
    So I noticed that it is possible to track the ability to see "inactive" names that are currently available to IGN name change to.

My question and/or suggestion is: Why not just delete any characters past the 3+ or 4+ years mark?

It would immediately remove the huge amounts of lag and incredible chunkiness that the current IGN change system has, and would free up probably a lot of names in the long run.

I am not actually sure when a name becomes inactive long enough to become available for name change, but I assumed 1-2 years of inactivity would make them available (would love some clarity on what exactly qualifies them as inactive). After that, I would honestly assume that the person was not coming back anytime soon.

If this isn't done for one reason or another, I completely understand! Just throwing it out there.

• Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    12:25 AM
    Moderator Post
    because some people actually do come back.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    man just come up with another name

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Bruh I want ign Pussy but it was taken, and I can't afford €50 to name change MapleF4

5. OP
    OP
    Arlo

Arlo Red Snail

Jan 9, 2020
    Male
    Hunter
    Deleting old character doesn't stop people from buying a name for their main. It doesn't suddenly diminish the sales of IGN changes.

Has there been an issue for anyone who's come back and had their name taken? And after four years, I don't think the plethora of level 1-20 characters with names are coming back.

I just don't see the point of having character "2328973219" who's level 2 clogging up the sever does anyone any good outside of just making it another reason the IGN name change service is lagging.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    Arlo

Arlo Red Snail

Jan 9, 2020
    Male
    Hunter
    This isn't even about a free name or not.

This is about how currently garbage the IGN Name Change system is due to clogged up names like 11110101 where it takes fifteen minutes just to get through 20 pages, and a search engine that doesn't work.

7. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    7:25 PM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Actually, the speed of search function in IGN change might not even be due to those characters.

The feature just came out and our devs are troubleshooting it.

It's not about this.

You'd be surprised. We occasionally get people saying they're back from 2015~17.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. NatteHond

NatteHond Skelosaurus

Apr 10, 2015
    Male
    I got a bunch of level 20-30 characters to storage my scrolls and equips and such on. You might accidentally delete millions of meso of some player who hasn't played in a while. You wouldn't know if they'd return to play someday

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    A perfect way to remove chars that will surely be never used and don't have a reason to exist.

Delete most chars that are lvl 8/10 or below in Maple Island and haven't leveled in last 365 days, means most useless chars that were created won't occupy good names forever.
    Same thing for campers can be applied by making it a lvl 3 or below in Training area and haven't leveled in last 700+ days (given campers take more to go from lvl 3 and above), means you'll be able to delete most chars that just got autobanned or random play and then quit the game.

And this is just a theory...
    a massive genocide theory

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  10. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    I just came back from 2017 and really do not want my characters deleted, thank you!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. furriezunite

furriezunite Mano

Jul 27, 2018
    1:25 PM
    Beginner
    I also came back from 2017 (thank the pandemic) and I’m also glad my character wasn’t deleted. However, I do agree with a lot of the suggestions asking for removing low level inactives. Interesting names really spice up the community, and unfortunately a lot of them are taken by people that played for a day because nostalgia and never came back after they realized how tedious this game is lol

12. Danny

Danny Slimy

Apr 30, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    1:25 AM
    ZerkMania
    Dark Knight
    Active
    Mootos idea is a nice one but should be handeled carefully... if for some reason people will start losing thier characters for no reason the server will suffer

• Great Work Great Work x 1
  13. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Yeah well, depends.
    Kimmy for sure can see where you are with a char/what level you are/where you leveled and when.
    This all goes to show that finding those chars below 10 in Maple Island that haven't leveled for over a year... yeah hard pass for them to even be islander.
    Like for example my islander took 1 hour to get to lvl 14ish in Island, so it's not like one can come here after a year and say "why u delete my islander lvl 10 I haven't played for a year" because that's some meme BS.

Or the same for a camper, surely they can't be below lvl 3 after an hour of grind lol and that's with 700+ days, but I'd actually want to make that a 365 days too.

14. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Hood/Agape
    If I were to take a very long break, that would mean I would keep my mains, but I would lose practically everything I've harvested in all the years of playing since I store everything on mules.

Nice idea on its face, but a bad. bad. bad. idea.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Mules can't be in Maple Island so...

16. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Hood/Agape
    There have been no suggestions thus far relegating this idea to only characters on Maple Island.

17. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Hood/Agape
  19. Flyinpanda

Flyinpanda Brown Teddy

Mar 17, 2020
    Male
    Ask me in game
    Flyinpandas | Lazypanda
    Shadower
    Konoha
    Dw we can just call you Pussy instead

20. DrJason

DrJason Windraider

May 30, 2018
    Male
    Canada
    DrJason, Zrar, WhyDaggers
    Islander, F/P Arch Mage
    Oddjobs
    I have islander mules full of gear I wouldn't want deleted just because I haven't leveled them (and have no plan to), so I don't agree with the "leveling" requirement of your suggestion