1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How to Include Monster Carnival in MapleLegends

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Sepio61, Jan 26, 2020.

1. Sepio61

Sepio61 Chronos

Feb 24, 2018
    Male
    United States
    2:06 AM
    Sepio16
    Hero
    Winterfell
    Okay so I know that CPQ currently isn't in MapleLegends because it overpowers LPQ and EPQ in terms of EXP. However, I think I thought of a way for the PQ everyone wants to be included in our favorite private server.

1. What if the monsters killed in the PQ gave no EXP? The purpose of the PQ would simply be for fun. The reward at the end for the winning side could get a small prize such as maybe 1000 mesos per player or something instead of EXP.

2. The Spiegelmann necklace could still be acquired from collecting a certain amount of carnival coins. This would prevent trading wins since carnival coins are only acquired from killing monsters.

With no EXP given from CPQ, the primary spot to level up would still be LPQ and EPQ. At the same time, players that want to do CPQ can still get rewarded by trying to get the Spiegelmann pendent.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Kanade

Kanade Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2018
    8:06 PM
    Mannequinns > 1k meso per PQ

Deputy Star > SpiegelSucclace

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Sepio61

Sepio61 Chronos

Feb 24, 2018
    Male
    United States
    Sepio16
    Hero
    Winterfell
    Mannequins are 70+. CPQ is lvl 30-50.

For new players, they probably don’t have the funds to buy a Deputy Star. So the Spiegelmann necklace could be a placeholder until they get one. Plus the Dep Star isn’t wearable until lvl 50 anyway.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Kanade

Kanade Mixed Golem

Sep 14, 2018
    8:06 PM
    398721769260974111.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    3:06 PM
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    owner likes lpq more then cpq so we wont get cpq...

hope can rotate cpq and lpq every week

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    12:06 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    Including cpq without exp would make it dead content. Why? It is simply NOT worth a new players time to farm for a +1 to 2 all stat item while FORGOING progress in terms of exp.

Not only would you forgo exp progress, but also monetary progress. If I was to grind a character from 30-50 at a decent map during an event, I am certain that by the end of that grind, I would have ENOUGH mesos from gachapon, event etc, npcing equips, etc to purchase a deputy star and have mesos leftover.

• Agree Agree x 10
  7. OP
    OP
    Sepio61

Sepio61 Chronos

Feb 24, 2018
    Male
    United States
    Sepio16
    Hero
    Winterfell
    The inclusion of CPQ is intended for it to be for fun, not to be good. The pendent is simply a bonus for the people that are willing to grind through the PQ while gaining no EXP from it.

This logic could be used for people that want to buy a raccoon mask instead of doing enough LPQs to get Broken Glasses. Or it could be used for people that want to buy decent earrings instead of doing enough EPQs to get Altaire Earrings. Yet this doesn't stop people from doing LPQ or EPQ. At least the Spiegelmann Pendent is low lvl enough that there aren't any low lvl pendents that could replace it until at least lvl 50. Additionally, your scenario is situational since there has to be an event going on in order to get event etc items to drop from monsters.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. isamelon

isamelon Mushmom

Jan 15, 2019
    Female
    3:06 AM
    Isamelon
    Corsair
    DerpFam
    I think no exp wouldn’t work. The game is practically built around getting exp... why would you do it when you could lpq/epq instead? You get a “temporary” equip and you also get levels (compared to your scenario where you just get the temp equip)

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    I've suggested before that CPQ could be done for levels 101-120. This would make LPQ and EPQ retain their value. The Spiegelmann Necklace, however, is a different problem altogether.

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Sepio61

Sepio61 Chronos

Feb 24, 2018
    Male
    United States
    Sepio16
    Hero
    Winterfell
    Changing the levels of CPQ to 101-120 could work since there aren’t any temporary PQs that people go to around those levels. And instead of getting a pendent, maybe there could be a different prize such as getting a custom chair or something?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    1:06 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Trust me, it won't be 'fun' if you get no exp...

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. OP
    OP
    Sepio61

Sepio61 Chronos

Feb 24, 2018
    Male
    United States
    Sepio16
    Hero
    Winterfell
    If the PQ was for lvl 101-120 as someone else suggested, then I don't see why EXP would have to be removed. I would only suggest EXP to be removed if the PQ keeps its original level range of 30-50.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    yea but nobody gonna buy my petri leech man

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Seiras

Seiras Horny Mushroom

Jun 24, 2019
    I/L Wizard
    I was trying to get a friend to play this server, and the first two questions I was asked were "Is there Aran?" and "Is there Carnival PQ?". He mains an Aran, so I just explained that Aran was from v80 and this is a v62 server. Explaining why v52's Carnival wasn't in v62 was a bit more iffy...

The reward doesn't have to be good, it could be 1/3 the leveling rate of LPQ, people would play it and it'd finally be a feature on the server. Not everyone is here to maximize their profits.

The reason for that is because the EXP was very overpowered, it destroyed LPQ, and all people did was playing fixed games
    This is an easy fix, just adjust the way rewards work. Examples:
    - Winners/Losers get the same exp, then there is no reason to trade wins
    - Winners/Losers get coins instead of exp, then trading wins doesn't help anyone level
    - Monsters in the PQ are the main exp, then trading wins doesn't help anyone level
    - Monsters in the PQ give reduced exp, then CPQ is slower than LPQ

CPQ was a warp to a small map from multiple places.
    Put Spiegelmann in Ludibrium only, then he's in his themed area

Those are the 2 official reasons that CPQ has not been added, and both have simple solutions. Other reasons to not add CPQ would be based on its rewards, but again, just modify what's available and how many coins are needed...

Having CPQ as an option will always be better than not having CPQ as an option.

Fun fact: CPQ was added in the same patch that Horntail was added (v52 - March 19th, 2008).
    Fun fact: CPQ existed before jumping down was added (v59 - August 14th, 2008).

Edit: I'd also like to say that I'm willing to attempt to write some of the CPQ code, assuming staff was alright with letting me see the HPQ code or something so that I could adapt from there. I have 0 private server experience, but I have been working with java since 2013.

• Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 4
  15. BentPaw

BentPaw Master Chronos

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    angeloooo
    Night Lord
    Funk
    Like how people said above, if you took out the exp gains of CPQ, then would people still do it? Would people still find it "fun"? I can't really remember CPQ too well, but I remember having fun because it was shorter than LPQ and you got more exp. If you add in CPQ with reduced exp, then people would complain that there's no point in running it (see MPQ, OPQ). If you add in CPQ, then people will complain that LPQ is even more dead than it is.

Plus, CPQ is only available lv30-50, so it's not like it would effect a large population of MLers. And for how complex/different of a system it is compared to anything else in the game, my guess is that implementing and maintaining it isn't worth the gains from having it in ML. I bet there's a ton behind the scenes that's more than just flipping a switch and adjusting numbers here and there to have CPQ in the server.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Seiras

Seiras Horny Mushroom

Jun 24, 2019
    I/L Wizard
    Adding 1 desirable equip would be enough make it worth running. A lvl 30 +1 int clean pendant would be desirable for washers. If it has 1 slot, the best result would be +6 int via chaos scrolling. That one item alone is enough to make people run this PQ and sell it for millions if it was a reward. Non-washers wouldn't have a pendant until lvl 50 anyways, so they'd like the +1~6 stat for their job too.

If you add in CPQ, then people will complain that LPQ is even more dead than it is.
    Again, adjust the exp, CPQ does not have to be for leveling... LPQ would still be the go-to place for exp... People do content to gain items, look at card hunting.

You're right that they can't just flip a switch to turn it on. I'd personally be willing to attempt to code it, but staff would still need to take the time to inspect and test the code.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. BentPaw

BentPaw Master Chronos

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    angeloooo
    Night Lord
    Funk
    No way anyone would chaos a low level pendant. And PQ reward items are always untradeable. But I would like to dive further into a new item. Maybe a face accessory, pendants are already an MPQ and CWKPQ reward. +1 all stats would be in line with lpq and kpq.

I still think the effort to implement a low exp version of CPQ doesn't outweigh the benefits that it would add. You may get people making CPQ mules for fun the first month it's out, and then go back to playing their main. Those levelling thru those levels would slowly phase out CPQ when they realize LPQ/grinding gives more than CPQ would. But that's just my opinion, I'd like to hear what others think.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Seiras

Seiras Horny Mushroom

Jun 24, 2019
    I/L Wizard
    The chaos was an extreme example, but the new existence of a level 30 pendant with stats still stands.

[​IMG]

This is the CPQ pendant, it is tradeable (although MapleLegends could decide to make it not be). CPQ came out before Phantom Forest, so that means this pendant likely existed before Deputy Stars.

As for the effort vs usefulness... we're playing a 2004 mushroom game... this is about as unproductive as we can get yet we still do it. We're killing the same snails and other assortment of pixels that we probably killed over a decade ago.

People will spend their time on the craziest of things ;D

19. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Same could be said for islanders.
    It's not about having things meta - by this logic many maps should be removed because they are under-utilized.

I believe CPQ could be added with the requirements stated by Seiras- I once even thought of having CPQ with absolutely no rewards in it and I would be really happy due to nostalgia.

Is CPQ worth to implement? Depends on how difficult the coding requires I guess? If its easy, then imo its a matter of "Why not?" rather than "Why?".

Also exp and rewards wise, its probably a good idea to brainstorm on all the rewards.

Exchangable items in CPQ (esp lionheart) may be too good for meso making in the earlier levels (you don't use a single pot). imo it should either totally change, or replace it with a clone that NPCs for worthless prices like 1 meso. If the original prices of rewards are kept, CPQ may retain its usefulness assuming that mage's OA (starlight) can be obtained using coins.

This might be a good time to introduce umbrellas and tubes as rewards - great items to help in grinding but are nowhere part of meta after lvl 100 or 4th job.

Also just literally thought of this, so it might be a bad idea - but having slime shoe as part of reward can allow players to re-roll their shoes after KPQ. This should imo requires a high reward due to having INT on it.

20. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    3:06 AM
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    ML wouldn't let you look at their source code like that, but you can look for some open source MS server codes online. The most popular and what ML is based on is called OdinMS. The most active forum for private MS development, as far as I know, is RaGEZONE, so you can look for some assets there if you're interested in developing.

Naturally, staffs will be more inclined to work with you with any confidential assets or a staff position after seeing your work (as well as considering how trustworthy you are). If you were able to implement the CPQ and balance it, you'd have a better chance for you.

That being said, I don't think implementing CPQ was the issue for CPQ not being in ML, so consult with a staff before you spend your time on developing.

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2