1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

GTOP Workarounds

Discussion in 'Guides' started by PandaOnPanda, Mar 1, 2020.

1. PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    11:17 AM
    PandaOn___
    Paladin, I/L Arch Mage, Corsair
    Homies
    TL;DR
    GTOP annoying; try these steps:
    1. Clear your cookies (not really beating any fingerprinting, more just making sure they haven't stored a bad cookie on your device)
    2. If you are getting the 'already voted' message on your device, you can try to get it to work by downloading another browser and using that to vote
    3. Request desktop version of the site if the new browser doesn't work (shoutout to jesscapadesjesscapades for this one)
    4. If nothing is working, you can try to change your screen resolution to get it to work (portrait to landscape, or vice versa for mobile, or just resize your desktop window) Note: do this BEFORE you load the page. Hit or miss with this one
    5. Change your font/font size for your browser
    6. Add/Remove or Enable/Disable extensions and plugins for your browser
    7. If all else fails, try a combination of different things
    Also, this will work for TopG as well, they capture similarish info (though I don't think they're as strict, not sure only did a cursory glance at the fields that get submitted with your vote)

Vote, airplane mode for 10 seconds, go to new browser on your phone, Vote again, Rinse and repeat

UPDATE

If you want to test whether something you are doing changes your fingerprint, you can use the demo right off of the GitHub. Use your device regularly, take note of the identifier they give you, and then try something different in how you connect to that page. If it’s different, you should be good to go. If it’s not, your probably need to change up something else. They’re probably using their Pro version of the library, while GTOP most likely uses the open source one which is less accurate, so your results may vary.
    https://fingerprintjs.github.io/fingerprintjs/

UPDATE
    I got bored and did a little more snooping around the html page. This is the exact fingerprinting javascript library they use, and the relevant code they use to capture your browser fingerprint. Play around with it if you want. The github page's wiki even lists the components that they can check, and if they are browser dependent or device dependent so you can look in how to change those if some methods don't work for you. It even mentions that it is more unreliable for phones!:
    https://github.com/Valve/fingerprintjs2
    https://github.com/Valve/fingerprintjs2/wiki/Browser-independent-components
    <script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function() {
    var murmur = null;
    function changemurmur(newMurmur)
    {
    window.murmur = newMurmur;
    }

var fingerprintReport = function () {
    var d1 = new Date()
    Fingerprint2.get(function(components) {
    murmur = Fingerprint2.x64hash128(components.map(function (pair) { return pair.value }).join(), 31)
    //console.log(murmur);
    changemurmur(murmur);
    var d2 = new Date()
    var time = d2 - d1
    })
    }
    var cancelId
    var cancelFunction

// see usage note in the README
    if (window.requestIdleCallback) {
    cancelId = requestIdleCallback(fingerprintReport)
    cancelFunction = cancelIdleCallback
    } else {
    cancelId = setTimeout(fingerprintReport, 500)
    cancelFunction = clearTimeout
    }

$("button#votebutton").live('click',function(){
    var user_id=$('#user_id').val();
    var site=$('#site_id').val();
    var base_url=$('#base_url').val();

//var fpid = new Fingerprint({canvas: true,ie_activex: true}).get();

//var options = {extendedFontList: true};
    //var fp = new Fingerprint2(options);
    //fp.get(function(result) {
    //var fpid = result;
    var fpid = "xxx";
    var tz = Intl.DateTimeFormat().resolvedOptions().timeZone;
    //var fcToken = $('#FunCaptcha-Token').val();//Coming from fun captcha
    var fcToken = $("[name='fc-token']").val();//Coming from fun captcha
    //var fcToken = "";//Coming from fun captcha
    var pingUsername = $('#pingUsername').val();
    var minecraftname = $('#minecraftname').val();
    var asf = "tykhbblgbvadedozmwz";
    var retoken = $('#retoken').val();
    /* if(fcToken==undefined || fcToken == '')
    {alert('Please enter captcha');}
    else {} */
    $('#img_loader').show();
    $.ajax({
    type: "POST",
    url: '/home/send_vote/',
    data: "site="+site+"&user_id="+user_id+"&fingerprintid="+murmur+"&pingUsername="+pingUsername+'&minecraftname='+minecraftname+'&fcToken='+fcToken+'&asf='+asf+'&tz='+tz+'&reToken='+retoken,
    success: function (r) {
    $('#img_loader').hide();
    // alert(r);
    // $('#loaddata').attr('id','votebutton');
    if(r=='success') {
    $('#captcha-status').html("<p style='color:#00a600;'><b>Thank you for voting!</b></p>");
    location.href='https://gtop100.com/topsites/MapleStory/'; } else {
    $('#captcha-status').html("<p style='color:#00FF00;'><b>"+r+"</b></p>");
    //$('#captchaReset').trigger('click');
    }
    },
    error:function() {
    //alert('Error in script.');
    $('#img_loader').hide();
    //$('#loaddata').attr('id','votebutton');
    document.location.reload();
    },
    }); //End Ajax.
    //}); //End fp.get.
    }); //End Button Click.

$("#captchaReset").live('click',function(e){
    e.preventDefault();
    $.ajax({
    type : 'POST',
    url : 'https://gtop100.com/home/reCreate/',
    success:function(res) {
    $('#myCaptcha').html('');
    $('#myCaptcha').html(res);
    return false;
    },
    error:function() {
    alert('Error in script.');
    document.location.reload();
    },
    });
    return false;
    });
    });
    </script>

Hello all!

So I know everyone has probably, at one time, faced this infuriating issue with GTOP:
    It keeps saying you voted when you absolutely have not.

We can all agree GTOP's validation is a mess, but so far most people look at their validation as only IP based. I instead believe they are using something called digital fingerprinting/browser fingerprinting.

For a nice explanation on it, you can check out this site

But to simplify it greatly in a couple sentences, a site takes into account not just the network connection/cookies you are using, but also HOW you're connecting. It can take things like the type of device you are using, your browser version, OS version, plugins installed, and even screen resolution to give you a digital fingerprint that can identify you even if you are using a new network connection. While cookies are involved in this, they are not essential to it. A lot of online advertisers use this to identify you across sites to provide you with ads specifically catered to you. These fingerprints are not 100% and can be made less accurate taking certain steps to protect your privacy that are described in the article linked above.

Why do I think they are using fingerprinting?
    Well when you get that error message, you can change up the device or device settings you are using while still using the same connection to get it to work. Also, this little parameter gets sent to GTOP when you hit that vote button:
    image isn't showing so just click here for it
    [​IMG]

A nice way to check on just how unique you are is this site: https://amiunique.org/
    It will give you a breakdown of your setup, and let you know how unique your fingerprint is across it's database.

So how can we easily beat GTOP's fingerprinting without breaking their TOS?
    1. Clear your cookies (not really beating any fingerprinting, more just making sure they haven't stored a bad cookie on your device)
    2. If you are getting the 'already voted' message on your device, you can try to get it to work by downloading another browser and using that to vote
    3. Request desktop version of the site if the new browser doesn't work (shoutout to jesscapadesjesscapades for this one)
    4. If nothing is working, you can try to change your screen resolution to get it to work (portrait to landscape, or vice versa for mobile, or just resize your desktop window) Note: do this BEFORE you load the page. Hit or miss with this one
    5. Change your font/font size for your browser
    6. Add/Remove or Enable/Disable extensions and plugins for your browser
    7. If all else fails, try a combination of different things
    There are other ways, but these are the easiest in my opinion. This should help you vote on multiple accounts as well!

Why is this fingerprinting stopping you from voting?
    As I said above, this fingerprinting is not 100%. On my current browser, my full fingerprint is unique among the 1689959 fingerprints collected from amiunique. In terms of privacy, unique is bad. In terms of voting, unique is good. The more unique you are, the less trouble you will probably have voting. But, the inverse is also true. The less unique you are, the more likely someone shares your digital fingerprint and GTOP thinks you are the same person. So if they can get their vote off before you, then you'll need to change your fingerprint to compensate. In my opinion, GTOP probably does not use a very complex fingerprinting mechanism, so the chances you are unique probably goes down a bit further.

That's about it for my theory. Hopefully I am right and I didn't just waste time on this post, and hopefully some of you having issues with voting can resolve them. Share other ways you have found to force your vote to go through and I'll update the list I have in the post!

• Great Work Great Work x 8
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    Thank you!!! Using different browsers was working for me until recently... now using that + changing screen orientation is working super smoothly.

#Panda2020

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I've been getting "already voted" at completely random hours but it seems to work if I try it again in 15 min

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    PandaOn___
    Homies
    Huh, that's odd. Any change in setup when voting the next time? Had your phone lost cell connection during that time? New browser? Turn off or on any browser plugins? Or does it just magically fix itself? I know you said random hours, but is there any time period where you would usually bet it will not work then?

5. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    It magically fixes itself. Home internet.

Edit- actually no, only when im voting with my cellular data. Never a problem with my home ip address. But it always does work when I try it again 15 min later.
    Home ip address is never a problem thank goodness

6. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    It's really weird cause I've actually looked at my ip address that my phone uses before and after it fails and then works, and it's the same. So I assume it's a GTop problem.

7. OP
    OP
    PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    PandaOn___
    Homies
    Hmm yeah it could just be something off with GTOP. I'd be curious to see what the fingerprintID is for both of your attempts, the one that fails and the one that succeeds. If they are different then GTOP is taking into account something about your device that apparently changed in-between tries. But it is probably more trouble than it's worth to do that. Maybe your location is playing a role in it? Are you traveling when you try to vote?

8. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Nope, same cell tower every time. Idk if my cell network's IP address or anything changes

9. OP
    OP
    PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    PandaOn___
    Homies
    I'm not sure the frequency of when your carrier will give you a new IP automatically, but if you lose cell connection at all, most likely you will get a new IP on your cell. That is the main way people can vote for multiple accounts using cell data. I'd also check out the link I posted above to the library GTOP uses to do this fingerprinting. It has a nice chart that shows all the different factors that could be taken into account. Check out the two charts and see if any of those things change between the two times you vote.

10. junnyking

junnyking Slime

Jun 27, 2017
    11:17 PM
    i have this problem too...

0 problem when using my PC to vote using my home data.
    but somehow cant get it to work on my phone.

1) voted account 1 using wifi on pc, trying to use mobile data for to vote for account 2 gets me "you already voted" - tried airplane mode, different browser (a few, some works once but same problem thereafter), incog mode, clear cookies.... all failed to get my phone to vote.

2) without voting on my PC, i tried voting on my phone, using home data(wifi), gets me "you already vote", with all the methods above. Doesnt matter which account im trying to vote.

3) even when im not at home, maybe another IP far away, or even public wifi (starbucks) gets me "you alr voted"

TL:DR, no matter the method, types of data connection, my phone always gets me " you have already voted" which obviously is not the case. Even my wife's phone has the same problem. (mine is andriod, hers is ios)

help? hahah

11. OP
    OP
    PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    PandaOn___
    Homies
    Added a new way to try. Request the desktop version of the site on mobile data and try that. The library GTOP uses to try to fingerprint you even says it is not as reliable with mobile devices so it is tough to get a read sometimes on exactly what will fix it.

12. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    hi how do i request desktop version of the site

13. OP
    OP
    PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    PandaOn___
    Homies
    Depends on your browser and your phone. For me on my iphone using google chrome, when i am at the website, I press the 3 dots on the bottom right of my screen, and scroll down till I see the option

14. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor

thanks! but it only seems to be for google chrome.

15. OP
    OP
    PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    PandaOn___
    Homies
    All browsers have it somewhere. For firefox it is the 3 dots by the URL, Safari it is the 'aA' to the left of the URL, etc

16. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    singapore?

17. TradingDude

TradingDude Snail

Mar 31, 2021
    4:17 PM
    Sidgon
    Spearman
    A little fyi (tested on mobile):

I used NoScript add-on on firefox to allow/block certain JS scripts. Gtop100 executes a script from arkoselabs.com and the captcha will only appear when it is executed. Seems to me like they use some new tech instead of the old fingerprintjs2 suggested in this thread. I have not figured out a way to get around the script. If this technique still works for anyone I am all ears.

18. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    8:17 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Just use incognito mode on firefox. You can vote on multiple accounts this way but it just takes more steps.
    1. Airplane mode, then wifi.
    2. Sign into your account or go directly to the GTOP page using wifi.
    3. Turn off wifi.
    4. Flip your animals then press the red button. You should receive an error message.
    5. Refresh the page.
    6. Flip your animals, press red button. You should receive an error message again.
    7. Refresh the page.
    8. Flip your animals one last time, press red button.
    On the 3rd try, your vote should work, indicated by either green text or a page without a red button/captcha.

• Informative Informative x 1