1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information My <personal> view on extra channels

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Mar 20, 2020.

1. p3rsonman

p3rsonman Mano

Jun 4, 2018
    Male
    7:09 AM
    Resta
    Bishop
    Personally I would love to see the coolie zombie maps changed to the non-ledge version. Used to grind there for hours on end.

Right now all of the climbing makes it far too slow.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    9:09 PM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Imagine having to wait to kill HT because all 6 channels are full pepelaugh

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Pozeby

Pozeby Snail

Oct 28, 2019
    8:09 AM
    Beginner, I/L Mage
    I'd love to see a wider variety of viable maps instead of just a few more channels. It really does make sense to buff some maps for bigger variety since GS2 is so dominant for such a long stretch of time, if anything just for a breath of fresh air. Plus, it's more fun flavor-wise. Maybe even some minidungeons that would be balanced around a party being absolutely necessary to use, to avoid everyone just solo grinding in instances, but I'm iffy on that and I'm sure it'd be super controversial.

Small buffs to PQ xp would also help a little with this problem, since it gives whole parties places to train instead of 1-3 people per map. I'm not a balance expert but I'm sure there's a way to get the xp to a happy medium where it won't overcrowd the PQs and make them like the old days where you needs tracks and all that. But at this point, even with so many players on, anything past LPQ is pretty dead.

Other historically good, memorable training spots could be nice to bring back as well, as long as the xp was nerfed to be in line with GS2 and the rest, so we don't just create the same problem over again. It'd add a few spots at different level ranges and I'm sure lots of people have fond memories of the place. Just need to make sure it doesn't overshadow everything else like it did in the past.

#bringbackchimney

4. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    6:09 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    Bring back chimney but only on Friday the 13th and moonless nights. Unnerfed EXP!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Mii

Mii Mixed Golem

Sep 21, 2018
    MapleLegends
    3:09 PM
    LilMi / miii
    Bowmaster
    ⚔️ Beaters
    i think older players like me etc easily forget the struggle when 500+ new ppl joins up and everyone of them wants to PQ all at the same time.
    im pro adding a few more channels for pq reasons...

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    People are pretty spoiled these days. I remember grinding my hermit at windraiders because there simply were no other spots yet.

Don't want to grind at neo tokyo? Give temple of time a shot. Or maybe go grind skeles (with a partner?). That's what we did in the old days before ulu estate got released. Make an hs mule and just grind with any other class (Yes mules are an important part of vanilla MS).
    Is gs2 full? Gs goes up to 6. There's other maps that are just a little worse, but still good. Otherwise just go to mp3 with a partner. Don't be lazy and you'll find that mp3 has the potential for higher eph than gs2.
    Can't find a priest partner for himes? Try out wolfspiders. If you claim many people have this problem, many people would party up there. Else it's just you and tbh an entire server shouldn't change for 1 person.

Look into other options folks, there's plenty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    1. Look through old leveling tutorials from 2008.
    2. Write down the maps that come up often but aren't popular on Legends.
    3. Buff those maps.

8. Lulinya

Lulinya Selkie Jr.

Aug 25, 2018
    Male
    8:09 PM
    Lulynia
    Beginner, F/P Mage
    4 channels please :F3:

9. sirunfunded

sirunfunded Slime

Jan 17, 2020
    Male
    sirunfunded
    Warrior
    KimberlyKimberly would it be possible just to add "Mini Dungeons" at the most popular maps that get jammed – similar to how there's a "The Restoring Memory" dungeon at Skeles? For example, if we added a Mini Dungeon at GS2 that perfectly mirrored the normal GS2 map but had a 2hr time limit, it would effectively add 2x the bandwidth for training there. Let me know your thoughts :)

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Foxes

Foxes Dark Stone Golem

Sep 2, 2019
    Mini dungeons are instanced but are single instance per channel. This means realistically adding a gs2 clone mini dungeon would just add 6 instances. Additionally, while it's bad enough when people are holding the maps for hours at a time, attacking once every ten mins to either sell a map or leech, this would be even worse in mini dungeons as users can afk in those areas and wouldn't even have to own the map, and could simply afk in there the entire 2 hours while denying other users the ability to use it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    In the past there was a bit of talk of replacing gs3 and gs4 with maps with mobs but I'm not sure if that's necessary. I never really noticed a huge difference between gs1/gs5 and gs2 so I'm not sure if it's really needed overall. That leaves 18 maps for people who want to sit on the staircase and 6 more who feel like partying at mp3. It's really a lot of space for everyone. It's also pretty boring to just have everyone there. I think it would be more fun to have people spread out, rather than just centralized in Singapore for a pretty significant portion of the game.

PQs are fun, and also pretty decent, but I think one of the biggest issues is that there just aren't that many people in the towns at those levels, and you have to organize, smega, and convince guild mates to come along for the ride. The monsters in the areas just aren't that great, so instead of the PQ areas being hubs for similarly leveled people, they're mostly ghost towns and it necessitates the wrangling of friends to do the PQs. Most people from like 55-70 generally hang around Singapore/Victoria/NLC, and it's a decent trek to reach OPQ/PPQ/LMPQ/MPQ as those locations are pretty far from the meta training grounds.

I'm not sure if it's needed to buff the exp at those PQs, they've been buffed before into making them pretty viable, but buffing some of the mobs in those PQ areas would really be a boon to the populations around their towns, and give people more of a reason to be around the PQ in the first place. People don't go into towns for the PQs because from personal experience it usually leads to disappointment, but if there were more reasons to be in the towns then it might just help those random PQs get formed. There have been a couple times where I started EPQing just because I felt like taking a break from the Ellin Forest questline, and one time someone sniped me for some PQs because I was in town turning in one of the quests. Ludi makes for a good hub for people level 30-50 so it's generally easier to start PQs, as there's just a good population of people there.

Personally I think it would be nice if the mobs around PQ hubs were given special attention. The mobs around the lower Alcando Lab could be buffed into being some sort of meta, as incentive for people in the early third job to be around and maybe try some MPQ upstairs. Kru/Captain and STD's/Book Ghosts could be given that treatment too in an effort to get people around PPQ. It might be more difficult to add incentive to LMPQ and OPQ though, it seems like the mobs in those areas don't really match the levels of the PQ, but they aren't *too* far out of the way from other areas, especially if people are dragged out of Singapore for some new riches.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. miniflakes

miniflakes Snail

Mar 20, 2020
    I agree with this from the grinding point of view. However, I would hope that you would consider atleast adding more party quest rooms in some of the party quests. At the moment, there's only 6 channels which have 1 party quest room each. Just having to wait for a channel to be unoccupied, or even trying to swoop on a channel, is a little discouraging, for me and some other people at least, from enjoying the party quest aspect.

13. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    That is, however, as it used to be in the original MS. I remember spending so much time finding a party and tracking people. I actually had a list of common tracks that I would use to get a track asap and use that as leverage to be invited to a party. I agree that nowadays that's not really great. Perhaps the pq can accept 2 parties per channel (that's how other servers do/did it)

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. OP
    OP
    Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    This. There's a lot of servers out there, and the thing I have heard people always say all of those can't replicate is the times where you had to track people and actually have to mass click to get inside PQ's. For now, I want this server to offer exactly that, with all the other Old School things it has already. I missed the chance in 2017 because I continuously kept add channels, and I don't wanna do that again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Lulinya

Lulinya Selkie Jr.

Aug 25, 2018
    Male
    8:09 PM
    Lulynia
    Beginner, F/P Mage
    S> 2 LPQ channels my 12 fu**ing mules are camping hard LOLLL, joke, I did manage to get to boss stage with 5 mules PQ LOLLLLLL (with 1 min left and su* d**k dpm that end up failing to finish the boss)

16. Esmo

Esmo Pac Pinky

Nov 8, 2019
    Male
    4:09 PM
    Esmo
    Beginner
    UpperLeveL
    hey Kim 6 channels are not enough for 1k people it’s like playing on an Minecraft server with two biomes and 200people

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. dontkjoanne

dontkjoanne Red Snail

Jan 13, 2019
    Female
    9:09 PM
    F/P Arch Mage, Bishop
    6 channels are good, agree with this way to maintain player's communication in maple world,
    but.. but all channels full cannot bossing and some mini-boss are too hard to find is very frustrated T_T
    will it be a good advice to shorten the respawn timer of some bosses?
    like manon from 3hr down to 2.5 - 2hr or something...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. jonzehcnas

jonzehcnas Mano

Mar 26, 2020
    Male
    Hawaii, USA
    9:09 AM
    Zekky
    Cleric
    Chroma
    Kimmy, I understand your point of view and really do respect that conservative nature to keep the nostalgic feel.

In the current situation with almost twice as many people on at peak hours (sometimes more) as normal. It may benefit the server to add 1 or 2 channels. Even if it were a gradually addition, say; adding 1 channel for the next two weeks, monitoring the situation then making a decision based off that. It is always possible to revert it if and when this COVID19 situation ends in the coming weeks/months.

19. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    How about the balance team actually start a discussion regarding a specific map they are willing to buff so that instead of miserably being unable to find meta maps due to overpopulation we can get started working on the actual solution?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Fishy

Fishy Skelegon Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2017
    Male
    Eiji
    Dark Knight
    Beaters
    We've been discussing things but just not to the public, stay tuned for changes.

• Great Work Great Work x 3