1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nerf Genins

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Nicholas, May 28, 2020.

1. Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    6:12 AM
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    Genins are a level 25 mob with 600 hp and give 72 base exp (so 142 server exp). Compared to level 24 mobs like zombie mushrooms, Genins have 20% more HP and give 71% more exp, and if we look at mobs with higher level, like Evil Eyes (lvl 27 750 HP) and Brown Teddy (lvl 30, 950 HP), we see that these have way more HP than genins but respectively give 50 and 60 base exp-- significantly less. Most mobs scale HP much faster than EXP, but not Genins. I don't think the mob should have such a disproportionate amount of exp.
    A guild mate of mine tested how much EXP you can actually gain in a party with buffs and was getting at level 21, over 1m exp per hour at genins (with buffs), that's literally the exp required to level up at level 56 in one hour.

Needs nerf, plain and simple.

• Disagree Disagree x 12
  2. Sumilidon 25

Sumilidon 25 King Slime

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    9:12 AM
    Kapcom
    Dragon Knight
    HOOD
    Is this ACTUALLY gamebreaking.... I've read the post and I was also there on my low level mage but I don't see the harm in them atm. Moving around is annoying on the map, they don't drop many profitable etc items. I level a little faster to reach 3rd job??? Why nerf them???

3. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    Something to consider is how complex the maps are in Ninja Castle. Kind of annoying to train in.

4. OP
    OP
    Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    Genin training is largely done on the outside map, so this isn't an argument.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  5. OP
    OP
    Nicholas

Nicholas Mixed Golem

Jun 9, 2016
    Male
    London
    DragonNich
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Summer
    A lot of things aren't ACTUALLY gamebreaking-- but it doesn't mean they should be in the game (most recent example of this is probably mutliclient ban in bossing).

Genins don't give good drops because no low-level give good drops, so this isn't an argument. Nobody is leveling to 3rd job on these.

This is a plain, dispassionate argument of numbers: Genins are objectively a better place to train than most mobs until (probably) at least level 40, because they give much more exp compared to their HP and there is no viable reason (at the moment) for why this should be the case.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. FTI/L

FTI/L Red Snail

Aug 3, 2017
    Male
    VinceStaples
    I/L Wizard
    Aincrad
    The map has many platforms, many of them aren't horizontal, many of them block projectiles from passing through them, there a ton of holes in the platforms to fall through, there are no shortcuts. Who cares.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Sumilidon 25

Sumilidon 25 King Slime

Apr 6, 2020
    Male
    Kapcom
    Dragon Knight
    HOOD
    I still don't agree with nerfing them at all because what I posted above. The early game that this affects is so absurdly low I don't see a problem with them being the way they are. You can't farm them for mesos, you can't farm them further than lvl 50+ plus there are better areas I honestly don't see the problem. There are better maps that will earn mesos etc. Not to mention the plethora of alternatives to lvl from for low levels this is fine.

8. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    did you and your guildie remember that there is a 40% bonus exp going on right now for lower leveled players & that's prob why the EXP gain is extremely high at the moment?

• Like Like x 3
  9. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    I'm not going to argue for or against nerfing genins, but I want to point out that the example of 1m eph was from two people training together with SI, SE, MW20, HS, on top of the +40% exp from the event. I'm also guessing they had some pretty decent gear on them as well.

I went to test this so everyone can see what the eph is like under different scenarios.

These tests were done with a level 22/23 archer (I levelled up partway through but didn't allocate the dex) with 7/113/5/5 base stats. I was grinding alone at the genins map outside ninja castle (which is oddly named Inside Ninja Castle).

upload_2020-5-28_18-22-15.png

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  10. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    super useful graph! i think it really illustrates how some players see things differently and believe things should be nerfed on the basis that they themselves have access to good gear and all these buffs and can get this kind of exp when in reality, a new player will not have the same funding and resources.

i'm against changing genins. like other users have already brought up, the general map layout is annoying enough to grind on that it already has something of a nerf to it.

also, OP's personal opinion of the exp gain on it is the experience of an already funded player. it would be unfair to new players to take away a decent training spot when there is already so much competition currently on the server for good grinding maps. it doesn't seem balanced to YOU because you yourself are making it unbalanced -- in original GMS, the level of players that would be training at this map wouldn't have all of the advantages you do unless they were very, very lucky.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Map is fine, training there without haste is a struggle so pls dont make the new players struggle more. If anything having hs si haste mw20 echo mules and being able to go to fm to get all those buffs is op??

• Agree Agree x 8
  12. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    Sounds like we should ban multi clienting?

13. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    Yeah I noticed that too, training without haste there is absolute ass. So I just tested again with haste, coke pill, bow, and my underoos and got 225k eph--the gain from haste was almost as much as the gain from wearing att and dex gear O_O

14. Xydan

Xydan Chronos

Feb 1, 2019
    Male
    Xydan
    Maybe we should be more concerned about making the game fun, and less about finding ways to keep it as gruelling as possible. I doubt that minuscule hour saved grinding at genins is really going to matter when people spend 5x that for a single level later ....

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Most newcomers don't know about genin. The people using genin are those who've already 'experienced the nostalgia' factor of going through Ant tunnel and KPQ and are now trying to grind up other accounts.

If this was a bigger issue, you'd see genin channels more populated. They're not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    The wanted quests in Sleepywood make training on Zmush worthwhile, and the high spawn rate of Evil Eyes makes training there worthwhile too.