1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Accepted Revert the changes to critical throw

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by fengstar, May 29, 2020.

1. fengstar

fengstar Orange Mushroom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    the bay
    8:22 PM
    Diggy
    Night Lord
    Twice
    I know you guys meant good with this "buff", but in reality it hurts all assassins/hermits/early nightlords. It makes our training so much more difficult. We never had stable damage to begin with but now we're landing 3 or 4 throws with no crit all the time, which really hurts our training consistency. We don't need a sudden 10k when most of the times we're landing 2.5-3k non crits. Only late game characters focus on dps. The rest of us are grinding on 2-3 hit mobs until we can finally hit the levels where we can boss efficiently.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this change only benefits late game NLs that aren't using SE. However most of them are using SE anyways? Which means this isn't benefiting many of them, as the damage after SE is identical. This is only hurting the rest of us.

I joined this server to relive my nostalgia, and I've never been a huge party quest/boss person. Please don't only focus on that aspect, as it's not why a lot of players are playing maplelegends! If I misread any updates about this forgive me, but please consider reverting!

• Agree Agree x 18
  2. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    11:22 PM
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    I hate playing my hermit now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    12:22 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    After hearing the feedback of a number of players, what was intended to be a positive change, seemed to have had a few oversights. Sometimes, things look good on paper, but don't hold up in practice. To make sure it wasn't just a knee-jerk rejection of changes, we had been observing the community and the player's responses to crit throw changes. We've concluded that the changes did not achieve the intended effects and will therefore be reverted next patch. Changes to skills require a patch/update, and cannot be changed with a maintenance/restart.

Going forward, we'll try our best to heed the possible impact skill changes would have to earlier level players and the overall grinding experience. Thanks to everyone that provided honest and objective feedback, weighing the pros and the cons. Sorry for those that might've fallen in love with being able to hit huge crits though!

Also, if you want to be part of the discussion for future balance changes (skills, events, maps, bosses, etc), please feel free to apply to the Balance Team. We are still actively looking for more members!

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 5
  4. MattyIce

MattyIce Mushmom

Mar 11, 2016
    Male
    Soju
    Night Lord
    Demure
    BLESS UP. WE BACK BOIS

5. OP
    OP
    fengstar

fengstar Orange Mushroom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    the bay
    Diggy
    Night Lord
    Twice
    Yay! Props to GMs actually listening to our feedback!

6. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    11:22 AM
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    93734.png

HAHA took an SS just for memories

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Romel

Romel Stone Golem

Jul 10, 2018
    Male
    10:22 PM
    oXLuffyXo
    Buccaneer
    Yonkou
    the buccaneers were forgotten again

8. Ever

Ever Mixed Golem

Jun 23, 2017
    Female
    Ever
    Islander
    Team
    Why wouldn't you guys try to buff base damage of assassin / hermit / night lord's skills and nerf the critical damage from critical throw?

Assuming you guys buff the base damage of skills, below are a few options you might consider:

1. Nerf critical rate, buff critical damage

This is what you guys exactly tried to implement, I think the general idea was pretty reasonable.
    The thing you missed out was a lot weaker early game grinding potential that new players would have.
    Also, it didn't really change SE-reliant environment that most NLs struggle.​

2. Leave critical rate as is (50%), nerf critical damage
    In my opinion, this is the optimal balance change if it can be addressed with actual numbers.
    Being able to KB some boss monsters with high critical damage (with high WA boost pots) may sound unfair to other ranged classes.
    I know you guys have already nerfed alchemist because of this issue, but the skill still has great advantages over any other classes.​

3. SE-less damage should get slightly buffed if critical throw change is only thing gets reverted
    I remember you buffed SE-less damage to compensate Alchemist nerf.
    If Alchemist nerf remains unchanged, shouldn't SE-less damage be addressed after critical throw change gets reverted?
    I'm not saying NLs shouldn't get any nerfs, but I'm just asking what you think about compensation regarding to the alchemist change.​

TLDR; Numbers should be experimented like you did in the earlier post.
    I believe one of those suggestions should address not only early game grinding problem, but also late game SE-less dps you guys tried to balance out.

9. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    NLs are a very... scary class to touch LOL not just the community rejecting a lot of change, but a lot of their values just get amplified so much by SE. So to buff SE-less damage by a noticeable amount, we could've sought after multiple skill changes. But we didn't want to change the class TOOO much, since it might undermine the nostalgia factor. Though your suggestion has a pretty solid basis.

Just to riff off your idea. You would have to do both #2 and 3 simultaneously. So perhaps nerf crit damage to like 50% and increase L7 and TT damage percentage.

Current numbers (SE) = [ 0.5+0.15 (crit chance) ] * [ 1.5 (L7/TT dmg %) + 1.4 (SE dmg increase) + 1 (crit throw dmg increase) ] + [1-(0.5+0.15) (no crit probability) ] * [1.5 (L7/TT dmg %] = 0.65 * (3.9) + 0.35 * (1.5) = 3.06

No SE = 0.5 (crit chance) * [ 1.5 (L7/TT dmg%) + 1 (crit throw dmg increase) ] + 0.5 (no crit probability) * 1.5 (L7/TT dmg%) = 2

Adjusted numbers (SE) = [0.5+0.15] * [ 1.75 (adj L7/TT dmg %) + 1.4 (SE dmg increase) + 0.6 (adj crit throw dmg increase ] + [0.35] * 1.7 (L7/TT damage %) = 0.65*(3.75)+ 0.35 * (1.75) = 3.05

No SE = [0.5] * [1.75 + 0.6] + [0.5] * [1.75] = 2.05

Lets compare this to the increase from the crit throw change we had before:

Crit throw change: from 50% chance to 25% chance, and from 200% dmg to 350% dmg

No SE = [0.25] * [1.5+2.5] + [0.75] * [1.5] = 2.125

Adjusted numbers (SE) = [0.5+0.15] * [ 1.9 (adj L7/TT dmg %) + 1.4 (SE dmg increase) + 0.5 (adj crit throw dmg increase ] + [0.35] * 1.8 (L7/TT damage %) = 0.65*(3.75) + 0.35 * (1.85) = 3.085
    > This is already not desired, as we'd be buffing NLs, rather than "balancing" them.

No SE = [0.5] * [1.85 + 0.5] + [0.5] * [1.85] = 2.1
    > Still a worse increase than the crit throw change we made :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ever

Ever Mixed Golem

Jun 23, 2017
    Female
    Ever
    Islander
    Team
    1. L7/TT to 190% and Critical Damage to 140%

SE:
    [{(0.5 + 0.15) * (1.9 + 1.4 + 0.4)} + (0.35 * 1.9)]
    = {(0.65 * 3.7) + 0.665}
    = 3.07

Non-SE:
    [{0.5 * (1.9 + 0.5)} + (0.5 * 1.9)]
    = {(0.5 * 2.4) + 0.95}
    = 2.15
    2. L7/TT to 195% and Critical Damage to 130%

SE:
    [{(0.5 + 0.15) * (1.95 + 1.4 + 0.3)} + (0.35 * 1.95)]
    = {(0.65 * 3.65) + 0.6825}
    = 3.055

Non-SE:
    [{0.5 * (1.95 + 0.5)} + (0.5 * 1.95)]
    = {(0.5 * 2.45) + 0.975}
    = 2.2​

I think either #1 or #2 should be acceptable.

11. RainbowYarn

RainbowYarn Pink Teddy

Jan 14, 2020
    Male
    United Kingdom
    4:22 AM
    I don't understand this obsession everyone has with trying to buff the class. They. Don't. Need. A. Buff.
    Just leave them the way they are, Jesus Christ.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. cansif

cansif Mano

Aug 8, 2017
    Male
    Bishop
    Give corsair ships a speed buff PLEASE And maybe let the ship hp fully heal after 90s of not mounting, so I dont need to relog just to get it back up.

13. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Relogging doesn't always reset the hp though :eek: (at least for me)

14. cansif

cansif Mano

Aug 8, 2017
    Male
    Bishop
    Pls help the sairs:( ship speed is really bad. I need to dismount to reposition in time before getting smacked off platforms in zak

15. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    To be honest, I kinda agree. Regardless of however it is, SE damage is still really OP for an NL and its kinda how its always been since the nostalgia days.
    And NLs are kinda at a good spot right now that they don't need anymore buffs.
    I understand the nerf for Alchemist (although I personally (probably bias-edly) disagree with any NL nerf xD) but I don't think they need any more buffs.

16. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    you can dismount and use recoil shot if you are on >>>>> side.

Or, you can jump forward shoot if you are on <<<<< side.

17. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
    A special team is formed to balance the game, and this almost happens instead of making job classes more important to eachother instead.

18. OP
    OP
    fengstar

fengstar Orange Mushroom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    the bay
    Diggy
    Night Lord
    Twice
    I'm glad to see this thread got heard!

In my opinion when it comes to balancing it's important to not touch the fundamentals of a skill too much. Aka number of hits, proc rate, delays etc.
    Increasing or decreasing damage/duration seems to be a better way to balance. It's not like we are guaranteed a crazy crit every 2 throws, as that's not how probability works. With this current crit rate I'm sometimes 5 hitting monsters(10 lines of damage with no crit) I should be 3 hitting 90% of the time, and shadow partner copies lucky 7 so.. Sometimes I find myself training without shadow partner lol.
    While this may not matter when you're attacking for an hour straight at a boss, it's huge for people who are grinding.
    Anyways thanks for the hard work and hope this next patch comes soon!

19. Lirbo

Lirbo Slimy

Feb 18, 2017
    Male
    6:22 AM
    Kiss/Ciss/Qiss
    Night Lord
    ⚔️ Beaters
    Revert Alchemist as well, otherwise this is not a "trade off" but pure NERF to Night Lords while BUFFING the rest of the classes.

Night Lord is a very limited class that is good only at one thing, Bossing. The limitations of this class are already insane, please do not nerf us any further...

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. DA20

DA20 Red Snail

Mar 26, 2020
    Male
    BangYouLater
    Beginner
    why did the night lord skills have to be tweaked in the first place? Most of us came back to play the old maple and expect it to be like the old one. I myself came to maplelegends to enjoy the night lord gameplay as it was back then, meaning it was perfect as it was before. How could you expect a positive outcome when you try to change something that was already in a good position? As I speculate many night lord players will agree, please just bring it back to its old state and leave it as is including the alchemist skill. It doesn't need any buffs nor nerfs.

Sorry for the rant, but grinding these few weeks was just frustrating, and bossing with a reduced duration on consumables than before felt cheated and disappointing as well. Considering that night lords are good at ONLY one thing as spoken above, I think it's fair for night lords to have Alchemist as it was before.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3