1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Some extraneous tip about Lure abusing bosses

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by carebu, Jul 17, 2020.

1. carebu

carebu Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2020
    Male
    4:04 PM
    carebu
    Dark Knight
    Elluelians
    I think the easiest and most straightforward method is just a mapletip that puts the information out there so it can travel better by word of mouth.

"Do not engage in luring boss mobs so that they will not attack, it's against the ToS and you will be punished accordingly" or something along those lines;

The point of this thread is to call attention to the fact that terms of services are typically easy to ignore if you have common sense. Don't be an asshole, don't cheat, don't pursue or abuse unfair advantages. That all makes sense; Except there's a really fuzzy line in the realm of exploiting as an abuse and exploiting vulnerabilities of design. There is a degree of ambiguity to whether or not it should be considered cheating to take advantage of the mechanics of mob AI.

So this server arbitrates that it is cheating. That's fine. No problem with that, I understand that idea completely. There's an intention by the developer in how the game should be played, you're attempting to uphold it. Positive engagement, teamwork, all that jazz. But, as a heated discord discussion brought up, that calls stat washing into question. That's absolutely 900% not intended design, besides the fact that it was never patched because it was basically a money printer, and boy, Neckson loves money. But that's so incredibly common on this server that it's probably this servers largest economy influencer.

Takeaway being: a very low percentile of people read ToS (not exclusively or explicitly on this server, but in every facet of their digital lives), but are still reasonable and act in good intention on common sense, but this isn't something that is clearly understood by all/in a sense that is common. Infact, I've seen no shorter than 35 people in LPQs that were engaged in this in 1~ days time. Not in malicious intent of self benefit, but simply because the PQ boss is already easy, so they figure why not save the resources and do it the more optimal way. It was a common occurance on gms, many other servers, and it's pretty normal even on this server. Only one veteran player in all my LPQs suggested that it was against the rules; That they had seen someone banned for it. They did not however, cite the ToS. And other veterans denied it, citing they've never seen people punished for it. I too, haven't seen anyone punished for it, in the case that I've experienced.(LudiPQ) But the topic came up cause of people at level 199 doing it got banned in a different circumstance.

There are other ways to approach the subject, but I think a Tip will be a bandaid that will spread over time. I don't think anyone doing it is acting with malicious greed or self interest, only that they do not know.
    And speaking to the ToS, the only piece of information on the whole page that was novel to me was the boss luring rule; everything else is common sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    4:04 AM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    There needs to be clearer instructions on this. Even a message like "Do not aggro abuse" is to totally unclear. What is aggro abuse exactly.

A new player have no idea what is such terms, and this is a bannable offense. To them this just seems like a trick that makes their game easier, like enter/exit cashshop to tele to top/bottom of map.

3. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    or maybe they can fix it so you cant aggro abuse. but of course they cant be bothered to code it

4. Karozin

Karozin Blue Snail

Jul 8, 2020
    Male
    Hexxe
    Cleric
    lol they should let me dev

alishar lure fixed and bigger nips guaranteed 100% :asshat:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. theKatia

theKatia Capt. Latanica

Apr 29, 2017
    Female
    11:04 PM
    Asteracea
    Bowmaster
    Funk
    They've tried and it didn't work, I'm too lazy to link the original thread where they mentioned that but it's not negligence, simply too problematic to just erase a part of the map... That doesn't really happen.

Edit:
    Ok I'm not that lazy here is the explanation:
    (For clarification, not just alone, parties can be aggro abusing as well if they're all there)
    Sources: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/nibergen.23244/#post-171897 (bottom)
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/aggros-abuse.24554/ (fishy linked a video explaining it down the line)

6. echung379

echung379 Brown Teddy

Oct 16, 2017
    1:04 PM
    Cookiee
    Hero
    This has been an issue in the past, multiple times. And multiple people have repeatedly gotten banned for it without knowing.

One may argue that not knowing the rules is no excuse for abusing it, and so they should still be banned for it even though they were unaware. That is a fair point, and I would agree. However, in this case, people were being accused under OLD ToS language which staff admitted was unclear. They then cleared up the aggro abuse language in the ToS after the fact. However, the staff are not erasing any ban strikes for people who were accused of aggro abusing even before the ToS was updated.

It's like if you were a store owner selling alcohol to 21 year olds and then the federal law changes the minimum drinking age to 24 and then you get arrested for having sold alcohol to people age 21 before the law was updated.

A few of us made threads regarding this in the past, and the GM's ended up locking the thread. I strongly beg the staff to again reconsider erasing old ban strikes for people who were accused under old and unclear rules. Please, it's not too late, even a year afterwards. As you can see, newer players are still being confused about this and it's a recurring issue even now.

Old thread for reference: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/aggros-abuse.24554/

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    I don't understand this argument. Why does it matter how Neckson wanted the game to be played?

The staff have thoughtfully deliberated what should and shouldn't be allowed, they didn't just copy-paste rules from the original game. They also update the ToS frequently to solve issues as they come up. I don't see how HP washing or Neckson has anything to do with the design of ML's ToS.

I also can't sympathize with your argument that the ignorance of the server's rules is a defense for breaking them. When you click accept, you're acknowledging what the rules are and what the punishments are for breaking them. If we stray away from that concept then it's a very very slippery slope.

I get that in general, not everyone reads ToS agreements, but this isn't the ToS for Microsoft Office or whatever. Reading the ToS for a private game like this is in your best interest, not for avoiding game bans, but for your personal safety.

8. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    2.11 Boss Freeze Abuse - Any form of abuse that intentionally causes monsters in boss maps to stop using abilities or attacking is forbidden. This includes, but not limited to: positioning a character in a certain area of the map or using the death of a character to purposefully cause the boss or other surrounding mobs to freeze and/or no longer seek to attack an active player. Examples would include: Elder Wraiths in Big Foot maps being frozen; Nibergen not attacking (damage being done by clouds only); or Alishar not using any magic attacks. 1st Offense: 7 day ban; 2nd Offense: Account Ban

It's already clarified on our Terms of Service.

9. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Honestly even with the wording in ToS there are a lot of unwritten exceptions to this rule too. Attacking HH in Forgotten Path from an elevated platform (so you're out of its reach) is apparently not aggro abuse because HH is still seeking to attack you (despite the only mechanical difference between sniping HH and attacking Nibergen from bottom right is that HH can move while Nibergen cannot); using Puppet out of a boss's reach to freeze it is not aggro abuse (you can do this to Vergamot and Nibergen and they'd just be frozen except casting Cancels and summons in Nibergen's case), and back before HT arms were changed to hit the whole screen, having the highest arm damage attacker standing on the other side so one arm will not move also does not count unless all other HT parts are dead, in which case it suddenly counts again. There are a lot of caveats to this rule that it's basically something you just have to know (or ask people about so you can know), even with it written in the ToS.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    carebu

carebu Brown Teddy

Jul 15, 2020
    Male
    carebu
    Dark Knight
    Elluelians
    All I asked for was that the information was advertised better. It's obviously not my problem anymore, because I was made aware of the ToS rule. I just think it's a meager issue of not adhering to common sense. As I said, it was the single, exclusive rule in the ToS that I could not have predicted and adhered to without having read the ToS to begin with because that's what ToS are like, and no, this private server is no exception.

But if you're in the camp of people who thinks it's right to expect people to read pointless information for what is effectively fine print, and ban them otherwise as negligent, well. I guess we differ in our idea of what is fun and right on a video game. No one is making an argument for not knowing rules being an excuse to get away with exploits or abusive behavior. That is why I want the information more readily available. It is a unique case as far as the rules go.

All a ToS stands to do is be a concise list of things that GMs can point to when they administer punishments, instead of getting engaged in arguing and arbitration for every individual issue. It's not something people who are intending to fairplay and behave as decent people are ever concerned with.

I assumed it was a difficult system to fix, being as this server is in a mature age. That's why I asked for a bandaid fix, all it requires is better advertisement.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Like here, what is a certain area of the map. I understand this area is not announced, so people who don't know about "this area" won't do it. But why is positioning yourself out of the range attack of a monster consider aggro abuse. Is it just because it is a boss, so you can't exploit the "out range" mechanism? It is honestly exploiting bugs or poor codings.

Just hope that GMs will exercise more discretion together with warnings, and clarification when identifying/banning with aggro abuse. Such as warnings, and how many repeated warnings before banning.