1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

How long are you allowed to hold an HT channel?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jesscapades, Aug 10, 2020.

1. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    3:16 AM
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    I'm writing this post in hopes of getting a discussion going and eventually a clarification from staff on the rules for holding HT channels. Recently, I've seen 2 situations in which staff intervened with channel-holding. By holding an HT channel, I'm referring to the act of bringing a character or group of characters into HT and not summoning immediately, or in some cases, not summoning at all and waiting out the 2 hour timer.

In this post, I'll recount the two situations I know of where GMs intervened in channel-holding, explain more why I decided to write this post, and state my opinion on this matter.

Situation 1: a friend of mine used a mule to hold an HT channel. After around 75 minutes of holding, a GM saw and banned them for this for 3 days on multiple characters. The ban was later appealed and the appeal was accepted, but the player was given a formal warning for this.

Situation 2: a friend of mine was hosting a 10-man run. They found a free channel, went inside, but once inside realized one of their runners had not signed up, so they needed to exit and redo the sign ups. Before leaving, they were discussing how they should set up the two parties and organizing the runners. They were in there <5 minutes when a GM showed up and told them they had to leave. The host was then sent to GM jail, and as a result could not secure the channel after leaving and lost it to another group.

My opinion and arguments:

I think there's a point where holding an HT channel could possibly be considered griefing, like in Situation 1, but I don't think it's banworthy so I think unbanning the player and giving them a formal warning was the right move. However I don't see how Situation 2 is considered griefing. It takes an annoying amount of organization to plan a 10-man HT, and if they're in there for 5 minutes without summoning, I think it's pretty clear they're planning on HTing but still ironing out the details of a 10-man run.

I think there are several situations in which someone would want to hold an HT channel for 5-10 minutes, such as the group in Situation 2. Here's another example, which actually happened to me today, where my party went into HT and waited 7 minutes before summoning.

There was a group trying to snipe my channel after our first run, but we managed to claim the sign-up after our last character left the HT map. However the sign-up has a 5 minute timer, after which it expires and then anyone is free to start a sign up. My group usually takes a 10 minute break between runs, while keeping the sign-up every 5 minutes. But we felt that since the group trying to snipe wasn't leaving, it was safer to just enter the run immediately to secure our channel, then take our break inside HT before summoning.

I understand that staff has a right to ban you or remove you from a map at their own discretion and I'm okay with that, because it's impossible to make the T&C cover everything. But I feel like these situations are starting to become unfair, and part of this might stem from my frustration of seeing so many people get banned lately for seemingly small things and without warning. So, I would like to bring light to this topic and see what other people think, as well as implore the staff for a statement on what's allowed, what's not, and what the associated punishment is.

• Agree x 7
    • Like x 3
    • Great Work x 3
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
  2. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    With tensions high in these kinds of situations, I think a response of any kind should be warranted. There is already supposed to be a built-in mechanism for expeditions such as zak, nt, and ht that do not start the fight right away (summon it in x minutes or get kicked out). These 2 cases represent 2 extremes of channel holding, where you can determine "intent to run" for the groups. Case 1 had no intent to run and simply wished to hold up a map. Case 2 had a clear intent to run, and needed to be approached the way they did for fear of losing their map (too little, too late it seems). Removing a squad that is in the process of starting a run and following all rules as written just leaves a poor taste, and is not at all in the legends spirit imo.

But lets muddy up the waters a bit more: is case 1 even wrong? What makes holding an expedition map different than an ulu or skeles map? People want to use those maps just the same but there is nothing wrong with holding them all day while obviously not directly using them. People will hold maps so they can ensure they have one when they want them, give the map to friends, or sell the map to others. I'd like to know what is creating the sudden knee-jerk reactions to raid maps, while grinding maps are relatively unpoliced. Is it just frequency of people complaining? Or an inability of users to "hold" mapowner as much as they are used to with leech maps?

• Agree Agree x 10
  3. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    9:16 AM
    Moderator Post
    We've already been making a few code changes for next big patch to at least fight the #1 situation. I am honestly quite disappointed that this situation happens to begin with because griefing an HT channel to point you idle in them is extremely childish and is not what I would expect to be happening in this community.

As for #2 I am not 100% sure right now as I am making this post regarding the context. I am going presume the initial setup took a really long time, and thus a GM was already alerted, and then when they were re-setting up the GM appeared. I have no real comment about this for now.

From what I understood there was also a situation where someone snipe signed up someone else's run and just ran into the pre-heads to summon them immediately, which in my honest opinions is griefing someone else's run as well.

The best situation would be if people were just mature and do not try to sabotage everything we do not make rules for, so we don't have to waste yet more coding time fight against it (or even have to ban people).

And no, doing nothing about it is not the choice either, since that will just make even more people do it and make the community more toxic. Not something we are interested in.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. postcard

postcard Selkie Jr.

Aug 17, 2018
    12:16 AM
    Postcard
    Bowmaster
    Vivid
    I honestly think that adding a few more channels will help alleviate the sniping/map holding problems.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    just find a non meta boss to train on guys

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 1
  6. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    To be fair, in Situation 2 which I was around for, the map was not a free map as the runners were aware of the ongoing runs (because people in both runs were friends and were talking to each other), i.e. they sniped the channel (which I think is fair game), but they left 3 runners behind (a bishop, archer, and an NL) who were telling us what they were doing by holding the map inside the HT map was fair game. I'm not convinced that leaving 3 people behind in a 10 person run was unintentional.

I do agree though that it was in the gray zone of what is allowed, which I'm sure will be formally addressed based on what Kimmy wrote.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    1:16 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    It would be wrong to reduce the situation to isolated incidents of griefing and trivialize the situation as "just people being toxic". There is real tangible incentive for groups to hold maps for reasons other than just griefing. If we are at a point where groups are not allowed to idle inside the HT map either before HT is spawned or after HT is killed, then it becomes difficult to guarantee access to the channel after you leave. If this is the case then you can either cry about your channel getting sniped or you can take matters into your own hands and hold an additional map beforehand. The same applies for sniping maps, if you are in a situation where your entire squad is unable to find a free HT channel, there is real incentive to attempt to snipe another channel. This is an infrastructure problem that came about as a result of a spike in the player base, please do not use the community as a scapegoat for the limitations of the game.

• Agree Agree x 16
    • Funny Funny x 2
  8. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    9:16 AM
    Moderator Post
    As mentioned in my post not all situations were related to toxicity. If you have no plans to do any HT run and just annoy other runners than it is, as well as the other situations clarified such as using mules to hold multiple channels.

9. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    3:16 PM
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    May I suggest a few ways to tackle this situation? - these may possibly answer TS' question on how long you COULD ACTUALLY hold a HT channel.

1. Reset a timer upon Horntail death to 5 minutes or less so that after the last part of Horntail dies, instead of having the remaining timer run down (ie. 30minutes or more), a new timer takes over for which you're only allowed 3-5 minutes to loot all the available items and scroll/chaos your HTP whatsoever before getting automatically expelled from the cave. In this way, GMs do not have to intervene and randomly expel runners out of the cave or ban AFK-ers post-HT death - which IMO just creates unnecessary drama between players and GMs.

2. Like iPippy mentioned, set a new timer upon entry of Horntail to spawn pre-head so that runners will not be allowed to camp inside pre-head 1 and not spawn it to hold the channel. Once pre-head is summoned, the timer is again reset to the original 2 hours. It is a given that prior to starting the expedition, all runners should be ready for battle. Should at any time one of your runners are not ready, you should not be given an advantage to hold the channel until your teammate comes home from his holiday trip from Bali - sarcasm intended. And since the fail-safe of 'runners not signing up for expedition' is in place for a particular reason, (ie. if you carelessly did not sign up and your leader has entered the map, your 'sign-up count' is not struck off unless HT is summoned) one should not have the ability to abuse this to camp a channel by not spawning prehead.

3. After HT expedition start-up, the member who started the expedition should have a cooldown before he is able to start-up the expedition sign-up timer again. To elaborate, after member A started the expedition, and all members did not readily sign up before the 5 minutes run down, member A should have 5 minute cool down before he can start the expedition again. This prevents people from abusing the 5 minutes commencing the expedition to hold the channel again. This third suggestion may not be the most effective, as members may just swap around between 6-12 of them to take turns as the start-up leader, but it may hinder some of the squads that require a specific member to become the sed mule. (No elitist advantage intended, but it helps)

I am on the fence on providing additional channels just for Horntail, as there may be other issues involved outside the cave such as more bigfoots, anegos, and other mini-bosses (which some of the moderators feel is an advantage too overpowered for those hogging these bosses). Besides this is the fact of spread out community and a 'falsely apparent smaller population' due to reduced encounters from spread out members across the higher number of channels.

I personally feel its dumb to argue over sniping a Horntail channel and it just spawns unnecessary drama which should have been easily avoided considering most of us are adults. Common courtesy should be involved especially when your friends and guildmates are already using that channel for their second run, but I do understand that time is money and not everyone has all the time in the world to wait an hour just to start their Horntail expedition.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I highly doubt the motive behind the toxicity that has been occurring in the cave the last few weeks is that people are trying to 'just annoy other runners.' There is a glaring issue that HT channels at specific times are in overwhelming demand, and there really aren't many ways to compromise around it. It's quickly becoming normalized to resort to "underhanded" tactics out of necessity, and I put underhanded in quotes because with current rules in place (i.e. mapowner), these tactics almost seem encouraged.

I think we're heading towards a slippery slope of perpetual cat and mouse, which will only add to the toxicity. If an HT run at server reset is the desired prize, when does it become enough time to preemptively hold a map? Is it 10 minutes before your desired run? 30 minutes? 1 hour? Lose out on your chance, and you're stuck waiting for 3 hours which will inevitably lead to a cancelled run. Or, you can chance it out by sniping someone else's channel, which will inevitably lead to hurt feelings. It's a lose-lose situation all around, and it’s bound to get much worse as the average population inches closer and closer to bossing levels.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    As a player (please note that I'm choosing *not* to speak as member of the staff, my opinions are my own) a lot of the current culture around Horntail irks me.

Sometimes it seems like there's not much decency left to go around now, is there? But maybe there doesn't even need to be that much decency to make a positive effect.

I'm sure that most of you have some form of intrinsic values guiding your actions. Be it a sense of ethics that pushes you to do right by people, a belief in a higher power, or to just do your best to create as much joy as you can or to cause as little pain to others as much as you can. I'm sure that past the screen most of you are capable of holding an empathetic approach to those around you. And yet on the internet so many have fallen to the petty squabbles of schoolchildren on the playground, resorting to whatever tactics necessary in a fight for the sake of a game and losing sight of the people behind the game.

It's a mistake to value a potential HT channel more than you value the people currently running in that channel. If you're willing to snipe a channel, then you need to walk in their shoes, and to consider how stressful and frustrating it is; and no amount of callous self-justification can change the sort of toxic culture that's being created due to acceptance of that behavior. If you're willing to ruin some folk's night over a game, then that should make you reflect on your own life, because at that point I don't think it's a game anymore.

I'm not just calling out the hosts willing to snipe channels either, but every runner under them as well. They're only able to run because the party is together, and if you're willing to run in a sniped channel then you're a part of the problem as well.

Call out the host. Tell them you aren't running in a sniped channel. If you value the feelings of others more than you value the game that's the course of action to take. Force their hand, make them either run a crippled party or a proper one when a channel opens. Luckily for me I haven't needed to make that threat, but I'm committed to it because that's how I want to see people treated.

It isn't just your reputation on the line either, but your guild's as well. I've taken personal note of the groups who've tried to snipe channels, along with being thankful to the one group who asked if we were finished before they called their party forth. My opinions of those groups changed with their actions; but in the end it's your name, and entirely your choice with what you choose to do with it. Hold to honor, and you'll gain my respect and no doubt the respect of those around you. We know what's right, but it's okay to sometimes need a reminder of that, and a bit of encouragement to stand up to do right by people and hopefully fight off the toxic culture that's sprouted up in Horntail. I know most of you are good folks, I've gladly gotten to know many people here, but it's time to hold ourselves and our friends to a higher standard and to respect each other like we deserve.

• Agree x 10
    • Disagree x 8
    • Funny x 4
    • Friendly x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Creative x 1
  12. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    But it’s okay for people to hold anego, samurai, and leeching maps for hours which has been going on for years?

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  13. Pundit

Pundit Pink Teddy

Jun 5, 2018
    Male
    liljer
    Bowman
    Homies
    I agree with the sentiment here. If Being Social Is The Best Part Of The Game, then we need to have a culture in the game where we're good to each other.

At the same time, I think some game behavior leads to frustrations that lead to sniping. Groups are sitting on timers for sometimes thirty minutes after reset, getting the countdown clock to zero and starting back up again, effectively holding the channel and preventing other people from playing. My "remember the human" instinct is weaker for a group like that than it is for a group that finishes a run, wants to go again, and gets the channel nabbed.

But I also don't think that we can count on a culture of kindness in this game. I think we need game mechanics (more channels or some of the stuff that AioriaX suggested) to create it. Which is a huge bummer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. JDPJHC

JDPJHC Mixed Golem

Aug 6, 2017
    JDPJHC
    Hero
    Summer
    so if we plan to run HT in like 5 hours, are we still not allowed to hold the map with mules?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The world says: "You have needs -- satisfy them. You have as much right as the rich and the mighty. Don't hesitate to satisfy your needs; indeed, expand your needs and demand more." This is the worldly doctrine of today. And they believe that this is freedom. The result for the rich is isolation and suicide, for the poor, envy and murder.

In situations like this, I don’t think it’s unreasonable for the community to demand for clear and concise rules from leadership. I honestly believe that most runners do not want to resort to the level of underhanded tactics, but as I mentioned earlier, we are on a slippery slope of normalizing this behavior when leadership chooses not to step in.

Best case democratic approach:
    The community draws up an extramural schedule and divvies up time slots for runners based on a fairly structured first-come first-served basis. This would have to be monitored and policed by GM to have any practical utility, but ultimately, it would give this situation a broader scope involving the entire community, rather than pitting one group of runners against another (or several).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    I agree that it will alleviate the sniping/map holding problem; however, I think it will also cause other existing issues to exacerbate, such as complaints about declining MW20 and gene30 prices. By Increasing the number of channels, the supply of MW20 and Gene30s on the market will only increase. This will probably lead to the creation of another forum post, “Please nerf HT drops, I’m not making enough money”. TBH, this really has no effect on the casual player who just HTs for fun. If I recall, staff has expressed their goal of making the game more challenging. I don’t think flooding the market with more MW20s is on their agenda.

This is such an unfair statement. If group B was ready to run, why should they casually wait 1hour 45 minutes+ or postpone the run to a later date, because group A couldn’t get their shit together and be on time. If there are EST people in group B, postponing their run could mean they’re not finishing their run until 1 or 2 AM as opposed to 11pm or 12AM. You have to realize, not everyone caves their characters or can stay up that late. Getting an elixir to to enter the cave is already a huge investment for some. So please put yourself in their shoes before calling them out for their callous self-justification.

For the time being and until there is better structure for HT, I personally think it’s fair to treat it like all other PQs, where sniping isn’t villainized.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    "Our time is precious so we're entitled to do whatever we want and we don't give a rat's shit about the other group's time" is basically what you're saying here. "Put yourself in their shoes", indeed.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    If that’s how you want to interpret it, then yes. Make sure your party is there on time

19. ngrman

ngrman Stone Golem

Jun 4, 2017
    Female
    Brasília
    I believe the way it currently works should stay as it creates an authentic gms experience.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
  20. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    I don't think you understand the issue being talked about here. When we talk about channel sniping, usually we're not talking about one party getting to start a run on a channel before the other (most people would not consider themselves entitled to a channel they haven't even started running in, anyways). We're talking about when a group starts signup on a channel right after another group finishes their run #1 on that channel, but before they can start signup for run #2.

Funnily enough, from what I remember the servers on GMS back then had unofficial schedules that people would follow to avoid drama. (I never got to a high enough level to run HT back then, but for Zakum at least that's what goes in the server I was in at least.) They actually handled this kind of situation much better than this server is doing, right now.