1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

[Feature Request] Removal of "Catch your breath and try again"

Discussion in 'Programming' started by hachiman, Aug 19, 2020.

Do you agree?

1. Disagree

58.8%
  2. Agree but this is part of the maplelegends experience

19.6%
  3. Agree but it would be too hard to implement

9.8%
  4. Agree and it would not be hard to implement

13.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. hachiman

hachiman Blue Snail

Aug 4, 2020
    2:36 AM
    hachiman
    Warrior
    TLDR at bottom :)

Hi all!

I would like to preface this by saying this is my first post on maplelegends forum so I apologize if I'm not going through the correct channels for requesting the implementation of a feature.

As the title suggests, I want to talk about
    1. Quick description of the current feature's behavior
    2. Why I would like to remove the "catch your breath and try again" feature
    3. Possible alternatives to the current implementation
    Quick description of the current feature's behavior
    For those who are not familiar, this feature is a scenario where a character "in-combat" can not perform certain actions including but not limited to "equipping gear, changing channels, going to FM". Characters enters the "in-combat" state when they attack or are attacked.

Why I would like to remove this feature
    When I want to find a cds map, I find it difficult to quickly change channels when arriving at a map that is fully occupied already. Most of the time, I find myself having to climb to the top platform, catch my breath, and then quickly cc before an aggro-ed mob starts blasting me. I end up spending a couple honsters per channel because of a feature which I see no value in. In addition, the act of changing channels on cds map consistently sends me to the middle platform, from where I have to climb back up to the safe platform before attempting to cc again.

When I want equip INT gear right before I level, I need to catch my breath before putting on my Heart Wand or my Yellow Adventurer Cape. I have to find a safe spot on the cds map and either equip it right there OR head to FM, equip it, and then head back to the map.

While being battered by cds, I may realize that I forgot to equip my precious money looter (Pet) and come to the second realization that I must "catch my breath" before equipping it

Conclusion: our time and money is not well spent catching our breath before performing an action

Possible alternatives to the current implementation

Reduce the time it takes for players to "catch their breath". I personally haven't tried to measure it since my qualms have only surfaced in life threatening situations. In terms of modifying the source code, it may be easier to just reduce the "in combat time" to one second, versus completely removing the feature all together

Or just delete the feature entirely. That would make me happy too

TLDR: The "You can't do that right now. Catch your breath and try again" feature in maplelegends is a detriment to enjoyable gameplay and we can mitigate its effects by reducing the amount of time it takes to catch your breath

Thank you for reading! Apologize for typos. Happy Mapling :)

• Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    6:36 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I mean.. you're not wrong. i do think that a small buff. like by shortening it by 5ms would be a good Q.O.L improvement. but even then... idk.

I'm biased cause i have DarkSight, and assaulter as a skill got buffed to be slightly faster when casting.

3. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    2:36 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I think it's extremely annoying as well and as far as I can tell, doesn't seem to serve any useful benefit balance-wise. Certainly won't miss it if it's gone. But I'm fairly certain it's impossible to remove, and someone will be able to think of how it imbalances some classes by enabling equip switches mid boss or something.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. robert8

robert8 Mushmom

Oct 17, 2018
    Male
    UK
    7:36 AM
    Robert8
    I/L Arch Mage
    Hogwarts
    Leave it as it is, yes its annoying when you want to change maps quickly but this is an old school maple server... Just as annoying as the real version but we live with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    11:36 PM

Yeah! I would also like to equip and unequip my gear while getting hit so that I can gain its stats in the middle of a fight! swap from DEX gear to my INT gear standing in the middle of mobs! /s

OnionGirlWow

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    12:36 AM
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    No simply because you can dodge so many things with it..
    Not gonna list a lot cus its night night for me, but for an example, entering a map with high levels mobs that hits u for so much dmg.
    You will just swap channels quickly, completely avoiding it, where in reality u should face the punishment with death XatDead

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. OP
    OP
    hachiman

hachiman Blue Snail

Aug 4, 2020
    hachiman
    Warrior
    This is a good point and something I had not considered. I could see it affecting the gameplay of maplelegends to the point where it becomes an abuse of the system
    I'm sure you have other examples where my suggestion falls short. But for this scenario, I will try to measure the trade-off between training at a suitable place for your skill level vs entering a map with high level mobs and deploying what you described as hit and run tactics.

The scenario may be the following: I enter a map with high level mobs and do a decent amount of damage (possibly killing the mob) and quickly cc to avoid incurring damage from that injured mob or from impending mobs. My goal here is to avoid contact with a mob as I enter this new channel. Success! But now I have to guarantee I won't be immediately hit on the next channel's map. I haven't visited every single map in maplelegends, but I can reasonably surmise that I would have no way of knowing the spot I enter the map on would not already have a mob. In which case, I have merely delayed the inevitable.
    I'm not sure how to quantitatively measure the exact outcomes of HP loss but unless you had killed that mob before switching channels the first time, it may have been less hassle to just stay on that current map and keep farming.

My next point is not exactly a counter-argument: the hit and run tactic can already be deployed by staying near a portal to the next map as you kill mobs. As the mobs creep closer, you can immediately move back or forward a map to evade their advances.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ngrman

ngrman Stone Golem

Jun 4, 2017
    Female
    Brasília
    don't get hit lol

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
  9. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    2:36 PM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I'm pretty sure this is there to counteract those vac hacking/botters too

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    No, they would have blink god-mode, or something else. (They would just get auto banned anyways)
    Its been there to have people not equip and re-equip gear while fighting they did the same for changing channels because it would have to make the player pause rest then change channels so that people would have a chance to go into the other channel that that player would go to.

11. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    8:36 AM
    Moderator Post
    We have currently not much support to change such a major feature of the game. A similar feature I can think of is removing the whacking: Completely pointless and annoying but *it's* there.

12. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    12:21 PM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Whacking?

13. Midnight

Midnight Skelegon

Jan 2, 2015
    Midnight/TheMorrigan
    Dragon Knight, Assassin
    WeenieHutJrs
  14. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    can’t you already cc quickly if you don’t get hit lol, what’s the difference, i guess if you get hit and survive it’s a different story but it’s not hard to just use a potion lmao

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    also i assume whacking is when you melee stuff as a NL or archer and just smack it with your fists?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. xNivx

xNivx Headless Horseman

Apr 18, 2016
    Male
    Shin Sekai
    12:36 AM
    xNivx
    Dark Knight
    Horny
    what if you ran out of pots, not fast enough to avoid mobs..
    i.e the himes map.
    its the small things, u know :cautious: