1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do paladins need a buff?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by akashsky, Sep 3, 2020.

1. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    7:06 AM
    Disagree on the scale with char stats rather than a fixed number as a pally main myself. The 50k number is fine only if it's compensated by an increase in cast speed as suggested by others in my opinion. This will make HH usable in HT. Having hammer scale with char stats rather than a fixed number doesn't fix any problems when the people who are using them are rich af anyway.

Holy charge buff would be nice. It does have the best looking animation but sucks that there's literally no reason for anyone to get that skill cause any boss weak to holy is also weak to lightning, and lightning is just stronger at level 30. I believe the balance team is aware of this and are looking into ways to make holy charge somewhat useable so let's leave it with them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    12:06 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    This did not age well
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Pally = bucc without SI and TL soon
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
  3. fahad

fahad Mushmom

Mar 17, 2020
    Male
    9:06 AM
    Hakai
    Beginner
    PaLaDins HaVe BeST DpM oUt oF OTher WaRriors. HeAd ShreDDer
    Yet we need si to compare to Buccs at ht ....... Buccs are support class, unlike pallies

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    2:06 AM
    DMsRebirth
    At least you can just one button smash with pally instead of having to be the best bucc in the server to achieve that

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    12:06 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  6. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    8:06 AM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Buccaneers with an even harder washing time and no damage decreasing skills.
    memecito.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    8:06 AM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    This is me on this post:
    meme.jpg
    So don't mind me o.o

• Funny Funny x 7
  8. fahad

fahad Mushmom

Mar 17, 2020
    Male
    Hakai
    Beginner
    #buccsandpallieslivesmatter

9. SwordnBoard

SwordnBoard Selkie Jr.

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    SwordnBoard
    Paladin
    TeaDrinkers
    > worse cleave than a hero
    > worse singletarget dps than a buffless bucc
    > only maptargeting ability nerfed to shit thanks to multiclient mule sweatlords
    I have retired my paladin to make a shad instead.

Wake me up if paladin is ever relevent endgame again.
    695584516177264750.png

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    11:06 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    The main takeaway from this (for me at least) is that there still is a lot of non-ubiquitous information out there that the population doesn't know about.
    Who would have ever thought that Buccs = Pallies in terms of DPM? Curious to see a Hero step up with their DPM so we can get a better picture as to how things scale.

Someone should organize an official HT attacker tier list so we can constantly try to push the envelope from each class as a community.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone down the road found a use for Paladins again with some quirky new strat.

11. SaviorSword

SaviorSword Dark Stone Golem

Feb 9, 2020
    Male
    Aiur
    1:06 AM
    SaviorSword
    Paladin
    Bonfire
    The idea behind the damage scale is to prevent mules with a Level 0 Sword to do as much damage as someone with heavy investments in their gear. The damage mules are the main problem that we would want to snuff out. If someone does go out their way to gear up those mules to be functional characters, then that's a lot fair since that'll make both the mules and mains to be on a more even ground.

Charges... oh boy do I have somethin' to say about charges.
    I am aware that the buffs to the charges are to make White Knights (and subsequently Paladins) more in line with the other classes as in vanilla the Page class line was just awful. But the current extreme lopside nature of these charges do leave a lot of room for improvement to be had here. I'm personally a bit hesitant express my ideas on how I would change the charges as it'll just likely fall by the wayside as balance changes are very slow to come and we often don't get to see the forethought from the Balance Team like how we saw the forethought topic of the One-of-a-Kind change recently.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    2:06 AM
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    The great leader SKARMORY wrote this HT dpm comparison post some time ago.

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/a-comparison-of-ht-dpm-between-all-classes.29842/

It’s not completely accurate but I think it gives a pretty close picture to how classes lined up at the time. Since then mages and pallies took the biggest hits since there’s no SI and hammer got obliterated. I don’t really agree with making balancing changes because of HT but the bigger problem is other bosses are such garbage comparatively.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    2:06 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Just to add that I've also retired from playing the game seriously at all since the patch, since being a bland one-button bosser makes the game really boring for me (and I've mained the class for 3 years so no intentions to make another character). Now I just login sometimes to tag along guildies for bpq or chitchat.

Edit: By the way, it seems that new niche for Paladin is to play a low-input/low-output character. In more detail, you can play a blunt weapon character with no need to wash (low-investment) to get low damage and boring gameplay in return. Perfect for beginners. Pepeclown

14. Dawnie

Dawnie Mushmom

Nov 19, 2016
    Female
    Malaysia
    Dawnielle, DirtySoul
    Night Lord
    Heaven
    If archers have SE, bring CO for pally !!!

Rooted for u all pallies not like some people [MrPxxxxxx] just throwing salt to every suggestions. But hey who am I to judge.

• Funny x 4
    • Great Work x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  15. fahad

fahad Mushmom

Mar 17, 2020
    Male
    Hakai
    Beginner
    Many people have suggested buffing holy charge in the past, And now with this nerf it seems, like perfect timing.
    As a pally main I never was a fan of fixed damage that hammer provided, because it doesn’t reward you for upgrading your gear.
    There are many pally mains who never Hammered Horntail before, I think they deserve and equal playing ground to other people who play different classes, am not saying they should have 200k free damage, it’s just that our hammer damage should have the same progression as and archmage for example

good way to achieve that is to make hammer damage scale based on str,
    It makes sense the more strength you have the harder you can smack your hammer on the ground
    For example lv 150 character with with 800 str
    State * 130 for formula I made
    800str* 130 = 104000 damage
    Someone’s stat at endgame
    1200*130 =156000 damage

good thing about making hammer scale from str, is that people can’t abuse luk pallies anymore
    Also you can make hammer taxing on the user, for example reducing the caster hp, this will also limit people from abusing hammer, make it as taxing as a mage using genesis or blizzard.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    To be fair we don't technically have to be 1 button classes in HT depending on #limbs up and position of limbs.
    When all 8 limbs are up, on ciders or weak it may be more beneficial to blast legs and HH all 8 parts for maximum uptime (kinda clunky cause of the long animation, but that's still 400k dmg and likely more than what can be output under blast with ciders or weaker).

When on top left, when left head and wings go up you can acb for maximum output (say wings go up, you can acb to cleave left head, mid head and wings. If you blast you just end up blasting the wing which is waste of dmg. At least acbing means roughly 2/3 of ur dmg is on the head during those times). So this requires you to pay attention to what's happening around your position.

And pallies can forever remain at that top left even post patch because of how arm aggro currently works. Since you can freeze arms there's nothing stopping you from being at your home and there's no reason pallies should be anywhere else.

17. cakesogood

cakesogood Windraider

Oct 2, 2017
    Male
    Japan
    Demun, kokushibo
    Hero
    Honor
    I think the only thing that needs a nerf is the balance team class
    they are the most op class in the game even stronger than the almighty night lord .

in a single patch, they took away 3m DPH from pallies, removed si from bishops forcing them into the support role and
    gutted si mules with no compensation. no discussion no questions asked.
    Also, they gave corsairs a 20% dmg boost in all bosses when they are only weak in ht and zak.:yay:

They have the power to change the balance scale for a couple of months before it may or may not get reverted.
    Nerf the balance team. Let more players be involved for balance changes. And I recommend skarmory for balance team.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. rambo

rambo Pink Teddy

Apr 13, 2020
    Male
    21blvck
    “Also, they gave corsairs a 20% dmg boost in all bosses when they are only weak in ht and zak.”
    Nise: [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    3:06 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Perhaps I would be sweating, had I not done the math.

See: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bjUKQR4X-E0BboUVys6BnAhePZFsu4TL4s-K24ecXyQ/edit?usp=sharing for detailed numbers.

Tldr however:
    • 380 to 400% is an additional 20%, BUT technically a 5% increase since 400/380 = 1.0526 to the skill itself. Meaning a 5.26% damage increase at most (assuming you are non-stop attacking & on ship) with no buffs.
    • How about with sharp eyes? Since SE adds +140 and doesn't x140, having a larger base damage %, means you'll benefit less as you go on. Which is why DKs benefit more from SE than Paladins with their 600% blast do. While with no buffs, the increase was 5.26% compared to old cannon, damage incase with SE would be 4.99%.
    How does this compare to other buffs we've done in the past? Well some of the major changes we've done in the past are:
    1. Assassinate change for shadowers. From 4 lines to 5 lines AND a 600% to 625% damage increase.
    2. Crit chance change for archers. From 40% crit chance with critical shot to 50% crit chance.
    Assassinate netted a 38.89% damage increase. Crit chance for bowmasters led to a 10.34% damage increase. I didn't include marksmen here since their numbers work slightly differently with snipe and the added line allowing for higher scaling, but a mediocre flat increase. Compare that with a 4.99% damage increase when you have SE+SI.

[​IMG]

Numbers for MapleStory are unfortunately more complicated than just purely adding on 20%. And this isn't hindsight math, this is all things that were considered. That said, if you have concerns about balancing, the balance team applications are always open. Be part of the change! :)

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  20. uwu

uwu Mano

Sep 13, 2020
    3:06 PM
    Beginner