1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Which class/job?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by InkySplaters, Sep 19, 2020.

1. InkySplaters

InkySplaters Red Snail

Sep 15, 2020
    Male
    2:28 AM
    Beginner
    :D SlimeGrin Hi all! blushmush MapleF2
    I'm a fellow mapler who struggles with being indecisive about which class/job to make first. Usually, when I leave the island and talk to Olaf about which path I should take, my brain just buffers and I have no idea which one to choose. Even after doing some research and understand each job more, I still have trouble deciding which one to choose so I figured "Hey, why not ask fellow maplers what they think? They may be able to help!"

So...yeah. I'm here now. I really need help!
    Some things I enjoy are:
    1. I prefer ranged over melee but I don't mind melee.
    2. I recently found out about washing and it kinda intimidates me since I don't want to spend real life money.
    3. Usually, when I get new skills, I put points into the passive skills first and use my active skills only if necessary or if I won't waste that much mana.
    Example:
    When I made a magician, I first put points in Improved MP Recovery and Improved MaxMP Increase and 1 point in Energy Bolt since I know I will be spamming it a lot. And I was more willing to use Energy Bolt over Magic Claw.
    4. I usually do things solo. I don't mind being in a guild or party, but I don't feel like I would need to until the really higher levels.
    5. I don't usually use health or mana pots and just wait for my health and mana to go back up. I usually save them just in case I need to fight a boss...which I haven't since I keep deleting my character.
    I thought about making a Bishop since most players say it's a good starting class (plus some of the NPCs in Ellinia look really adorable and the music is beautiful) but I still don't know! Do you maplers have any suggestions? If you read this far, I'm sorry for making this so long!

2. seaweed

seaweed Blue Snail

Sep 8, 2020
    seaweeed
    Bishop
    Twice
    Hi! I'm on my first character as well. I chose the road towards Bishop and have been having a blast!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    11:28 PM
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    1. For picking a ranged character, assassins and mages (semi-ranged?) are pretty decent starts if you don't account for hp washing. Mages do solid and consistent damage in first job and require no funding for equips since dumping in all your stats to int will provide you with the damage. Sins can do lots of damage if you can get your hands on illbis. Steelys work fine as well and are inexpensive but they may be hard to find in fm. They also have great mobility since you can jump and attack unlike mages or bowman. For melee, warriors are probably the go to for it since they don't require hp washing and are a bit more beginner friendly than bandits or brawlers. The biggest issue for warriors is their accuracy which you'll always have to take into account when facing higher level mobs. All other classes (except brawlers) don't have this issue and won't miss for the most part. You'll really notice the accuracy disparity for warriors if you go to the ligators in KPQ and miss a ton. You could pump a bunch of stats into DEX but your damage will suffer as a result and while DEX equips are relatively cheap, it will still be difficult without at least a little funding. Other than that they are one of the two classes with a multi-target attack for first job (pirates are the other), so you can bunch up a ton of mobs and whack them to death rather than skillfully navigating maps to snipe single mobs at the time, which is what you'll be doing with sins, bowman, and gunslingers. Of course things will change once all these classes reach 2nd job but you have to reach that point first.

2. You don't have to spend real money in order to hp wash. You can just vote on the website, which will give you vote cash, which you can use to buy ap resets. You can technically hp wash with no funding by putting stats into int to substitute for the lack of int equips, but your damage will obviously suffer as a result. As shitty as it is, you have to decide whether you want to hp wash or not pretty early on (meaning do you want the extra comfort in bossing situations/not rely on hyper body). You can opt to not wash entirely and have squishy ranged characters or wash heavily and be beefy enough to tank more than 2 hits. I would personally recommend light to moderate washing depending on the class. While warriors don't need it, they are the easiest to wash and gain the most hp so only light washing is necessary (meaning less base int, meaning less damage loss). Classes like bowman, sins, and gunslingers rely on washing a bit more as they are the squishiest. You don't have to be ultra sweaty and get 15k hp by lvl 140, but washing a decent amount and getting tier 10 monster book ring and other hp equips will at least make it possible to boss. It will definitely be harder in the early stages of the character as that's when your damage suffers the most, but it's still doable. Hp washing is a weird and stupid mechanic in the game, but I wouldn't worry too much about unless you have plans on becoming super hardcore with the game.

3. Investing in passive vs. active is really dependent on the job and skills. Certain passive skills do take priority like MaxMP/MaxHP increase, but your damage will increase mostly from raising the levels of active skills. A lot of active skills are borderline useless until you raise the level a bit, and it's something you'll notice with each job advancement as you're still using skills from your previous job because your current job skills are too low. There are also active skills that buff your character like haste, blessing, hyper body, holy symbol, which are super helpful.

4. Some classes are better for solo play than others. Clerics are capable of it, but benefit heavily from partying up. Regardless of class, playing with others definitely speeds things up, but playing alone is still perfectly fine.

5. Is this more of a funding issue or just a way you want to play the game? You'll do this a lot when you first start since you have no mesos, but you should have adequate money to at least buy pots for yourself by 2nd job.

If you're having trouble deciding on a class, I would recommend just making multiple accounts, each with a different character/class and just playing all of them to see which you might like the best. This is probably more tedious than its worth since a class' identity doesn't really shine until mid to late 40's (just my opinion), so you won't really get the feel of a class until then. Might not be worth all that effort but who knows, you may end up liking multiple classes. It's not like you're locked in to a single character so go ahead and just test what style of play you enjoy the most.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    11:28 PM
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    You can definitely take the standard route of starting with a bishop/mage.

Although if you want to make an attacker right away, I would recommend making a buccaneer based on your interests!

Buccaneers are melee till 2nd job and then have options for melee and ranged attacks in 3rd and 4th job. (melee: Energy Blast, Barrage, Energy Orb; ranged: Shockwave, Energy Drain, Demolition, Snatch, Dragon Strike)
    In MapleLegends, you just have to vote to HP wash (you can't use real money to HP wash even if you want to). Buccaneers are the middle ground between having low hp like ranged classes and high hp like warriors. You can get away without washing at all and be part of every boss (although you may need HB for the stronger bosses). I still recommend washing at least a little but it's totally up to you :)
    In 3rd job, buccaneers get a skill called Energy Charge (it's 40 skill points to max though) which is a passive skill and all the skills that use Energy Charge cost 0 mana. One of these skills, called Energy Drain, also absorbs the enemies hp so you don't need to use any hp pots! Oh and in 2nd job, you get a skill called MP Recovery which takes 10% of your hp and converts it into mp. i.e. use MP recovery to regain MP and use Energy Drain to regain HP. You basically use 0 pots while grinding ^^
    Buccaneers are somewhat ok at soloing everything since they don't rely on buffs, have decent HP, and have both melee and ranged options. Although if this is a huge factor for you, I would go Shadowers (best solo melee class) or Corsairs (best solo ranged class).
    See response to 3.

If you are interested in buccs after reading this, the Rank 1 buccaneer, KurayamiLoveKurayamiLove, has a great guide: The Buccaneer Bible

Huge caveat though: buccaneer damage is pretty lacking and you will be meme'ed at if that's something you care about; much like how this comment might receive ~funny reacts~ for recommending buccaneers :p

5. iccqqq

iccqqq Dark Stone Golem

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    8:28 AM
    Hero
    warrior is the only way

6. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    3:28 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Let's start to storm my brain since it's maintenance time :D

I prefer ranged over melee but I don't mind melee.
    - I see. going to next condition.

2. I recently found out about washing and it kinda intimidates me since I don't want to spend real life money.
    - Funnily, You can't spend RL money even if you want, for washing. ofc, u can just RWT account which is hoading lots of vote cash, but it's against ToS.

3. Usually, when I get new skills, I put points into the passive skills first and use my active skills only if necessary or if I won't waste that much mana.
    - I'd say, there's no reason to do passive skills first, and going active later for pot saving. You'll be kinda always fine with pot mesos unless you just afk with pet autopot and burn pots uselessly.

Example:
    When I made a magician, I first put points in Improved MP Recovery and Improved MaxMP Increase and 1 point in Energy Bolt since I know I will be spamming it a lot. And I was more willing to use Energy Bolt over Magic Claw.
    - Recently I made few mages and trained 1~30 with my hand, all of them followed path like 1 bolt-5 recovery-10 maxmp(must be faster)-20 magic claw-rests.
    every mages got enough pot mesos. I choosed my grinding spot only where I can oneshot with magic claw, and that was really helpful. also, Cactus' in Nihal Desert is really helpful on early day pot trouble. in here, 2 shot/kill is enough to get net gain.

4. I usually do things solo. I don't mind being in a guild or party, but I don't feel like I would need to until the really higher levels.
    - In later, you'll need pty due to some reason. (like, HS, HS, HS....). if you prefer independancy, than mage is best for that purpose. most of maps are vast and hard to sweep whole map as attacker, unless you're mage and spam ult as well-known. bish/AM would be selection, each has pros and cons ofc.

5. I don't usually use health or mana pots and just wait for my health and mana to go back up. I usually save them just in case I need to fight a boss...which I haven't since I keep deleting my character.
    I thought about making a Bishop since most players say it's a good starting class (plus some of the NPCs in Ellinia look really adorable and the music is beautiful) but I still don't know! Do you maplers have any suggestions? If you read this far, I'm sorry for making this so long!
    - Again, if you choose your training spot wisely, you'll be completely well for pot usage/net gain. there's NLC pots, which have % recovery, and NPC sells it. thats why mages have no worries for pot mesos (and gather $ like excavator. trust me. it's literally OP excavator even w/o selling leech.) unless they're training in someway wrong.
    let me give you one example which i'm currently on. I have 4th job FP, which has literally NO gears except lv.130 elewant which is terrible. No, i'm not telling my gears are terrible. literally 0 except only wand. and that mage was able to one shot ulu2 from lv.140 or somewhat, that opened me income of 10m+/h with only looting, spending approx 1.5m/h pot mesos.

So my conclusion is, mage would be nice. choosing bish, or AM? is up to you. each classes have pros and cons, you can search in another guides in forum.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. idkidcwth

idkidcwth Blue Snail

Sep 16, 2020
    Male
    1:28 AM
    idkidcwth
    Magician
    none
    duo i/l and cleric for best time

8. OP
    OP
    InkySplaters

InkySplaters Red Snail

Sep 15, 2020
    Male
    Beginner
    Hmm..... MapleF12 Well, I guess I know what to do first then. I'll need to make a tryhard character first.

9. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    2:28 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Just create 2 accounts.

One should be where your mage is on, cleric pefered for max efficient with genesis (screen clear aoe) and Holy Symbol (exp boost), but it is much more boring than an archmage. But archmage without HS makes your leeching hell.

Another one is where you main attacker is on. it will intially function like a storage account, then you will create your main attacker here also.

Remember to vote on both account at the same time, daily.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Lulinya

Lulinya Selkie Jr.

Aug 25, 2018
    Male
    1:28 PM
    Lulynia
    Beginner, F/P Mage
    play as you like, it is your story