1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Increase 'Assaulter' range by 50% (Chief Bandit Skill)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tobymcxs, Oct 19, 2020.

1. tobymcxs

tobymcxs Slime

Aug 9, 2020
    9:26 PM
    Shadower
    Assaulter never felt like a dmg skill, but more of a utility skill. Even then the benefit it gives only really matters if you are traveling vertically, but at its current short range, it feels more of a gimmick than an actual skill. Sometimes you can get through a map faster just by jumping and using Boomerang Step instead of using Assaulter and getting knocked back by mobs.

If you compare other mobility skills, Assaulter just feels like underwhelming.
    • Rush : small dash which requires a mob, but it pushes multiple mobs back, even bosses
    • Teleport : requires no mob, but is good both vertically and horizonatal
    • Flash Jump: hands down the best mobility skill in the game. Leaves everything else in the dust.
    • Assaulter: Essentially a worse version of Teleport, since it requires a mob, has lower range, and has a longer post-cast delay.

A 50% increase of its cast range and blink range wouldn't break Shads, but it would definitely just slightly increase their overall map mobility. Another unique mechanic you could give it would be to have always place you on the opposite side of the mob from where you first cast it.

Some possible QoL buffs :
    • Have Assaulter always place you on the opposite side of the mob from where you first cast it. Since it requires a mob unlike flash jump or teleport, perhaps give it a unique mechanic for insane mobility when fighting thicc bosses like Manon. (Perhaps put a range limit on this if it seems too unbalanced)
    • Remove the minimum cast range so that if you wanted to jump off a rope onto the edge ledge, you would be able to cast it if the only mob you can dash to is sitting on the corner.
    • Make Assaulter cast-able on NPCs
    Let me know what you guys think!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. codiacs

codiacs Horny Mushroom

May 5, 2020
    12:26 AM
    Codiacs
    Shadower
    Nani
    Personally, I think the range is fine. Though I wouldn't oppose it increasing.

I don't think assaulter putting you on the opposite side of a mob all the time is necessary per se, but it'd definitely make people's lives easier. In most cases you can just run at a mob, jump and boomerang step in the air towards them and assaulter right after when bstep ends. This usually puts you on the opposite side of the mob without getting hit if you time it right, since you start assaultering inside the mob.

I can't think of a situation where assaulter being cast-able on NPCs would be useful, but I also can't think of a situation where that wouldn't be hilarious.

I think it'd be really fun if we reduced the end lag on assaulter instead. So if you see a field of densely packed mobs, you can just zoom through.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I just learned assaulter and don't have boomerang step. When I use assaulter it just seems to slam me into the monster and instantly knock me back which isn't really helpful at all. Am I doing it wrong?

4. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    6:26 AM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Assaulters range is pretty short so there's some mobs that are too big to pass through with getting ''hit''. It's DPS isn't great either so it's generally used as a means to move around quicker, if you're climbing up a rope or ladder ad there's a mob on top then you can jump off and assaulter up to save some time, things like that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    They actually already reduced the delay on this skill. It used to be absurdly slow and basically worthless if you wanted horizontal mobility as haste was still faster. I personally think the delay on assaulter is fine as it is.

Idk how feasible 1 and 3 are, doesn't really sound like something the staff can change. If Assaulter distance is dependent on the size of the mob (its hurt-box since the intention is to not get knocked back), then every single mob size would have a unique distance, which just sounds like a massive hassle to change. And how would this effect the use of assaulter when its for repositioning, mainly in bossing situations? Would is just place you right next to the boss, away from the hurt-box, or is the distance set because you're using it on a specific mob/boss? The former makes the distance even more complicated as now it is dependent on both size of the mob and position of the character. The latter just sounds kinda busted, but not very useful for finer movements when repositioning.

I never really saw assaulter as a good mobility skill to begin with, making shads mobility worse than warriors, mages, and NLs. Do I think that this should be the case? No, not really. But I never really came across a situation where its such a hindrance that it would warrant a major buff. Assaulter is very useful for specific mobility situations, and is actually great for farming during events. Maybe giving it a better range to cast and increasing the distance by a bit would make it more usable, but I still think it would be limited to either getting on a platform from a rope, or spamming through a bunch of mobs, at which make doesn't make that much of a difference anyways.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    It's pretty hard to avoid this on larger mobs unless you're perfect with your distancing. There's not much you can do about it as a cb since none of your skills help with avoiding the knockback. Reaching 4th job makes assaulter way more usable as you can chain it with bstep and you'll get shadow shifter + high avoid so most mobs will miss anyways.

7. rambo

rambo Pink Teddy

Apr 13, 2020
    Male
    12:26 PM
    21blvck
    While we’re on this topic, can we increase the range of Assassinate too? I have a hard attacking HT’s left head, left arm and It can’t reach the right arm with assassinate. Please increase the attacking range

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mott

Mott Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    NightShadow, CannotAim, Mattato, Mottini
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    This is me speaking as a baby shadower (lv 100 CB) who uses Assaulter to zip around. I know that the CD was reduced, and at times have thought it should be buffed again. Especially from playing my NL > CB, the loss of FJ does hurt

But as the baby shadower, I think Assaulter is a good skill now. Not the best, but I have more vertical range than NL's do on FJ or mages with teleport *granted there's a mob there*, you have iframes, and it doubles as a chunk of dmg as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Assaulter has iframes?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mott

Mott Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Dec 2, 2018
    Maya's House
    NightShadow, CannotAim, Mattato, Mottini
    Night Lord
    Spirit
    sorry, perhaps iframes wasn't the right term, but your character disappears and reappears as compared to a NL who can travel farther, but is an active hitbox throughout

11. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    4:26 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    assaulter's delay being reduced has been an amazing QoL so far. I do agree that it would be great if the range was extended so if anything, atleast it can be slightly comparable to rush and whatnot.

12. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    10:26 PM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    Assaulter is a good skill. A 50% range buff would be a HUGE mobility bonus to shads (could finally perform the legendary HT midhead jump? POG)
    A buff like this might actually put shad movement on par with mages. But still far from FJ speed except maybe in vertical maps.

+1 for entirely objective and unselfish reasons. SlimeSmile

• Like Like x 3
  13. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    Come back when you can do the left head jump *laughs in corkscrew*

14. OP
    OP
    tobymcxs

tobymcxs Slime

Aug 9, 2020
    Shadower
    I am actually fine with the delay. However, it's not the delay I'm exactly arguing about. Compared to teleport, it has a slightly larger delay, but it's not too significant.

This was more a suggestive QoL buff if the 50% range wouldn't be considered. Upon think about it again, you're right that it would make the skill feel very inconsistent and you would have less control over the skill itself.

I wouldn't say 50% increase to its target and blink range would be a major buff. I don't exactly feel like its current short range has any impact on training or bossing. But a simple buff like this would make it feel like an actual mobility skill instead of a small shuffle. Right now, the blink range is only 2 training dummies' worth, which is so small that a 50% increase wouldn't make them super mobile, but at least make it feel better to use. The range is simply poor, and it doesn't really feel like it flows well a shad's overall kit. I believe if Assaulter were to ever get buffed, this would make it a more consistent and enjoyable ability to use.

There was a time in the original server where you couldn't Alt + Down to jump down from terrain. You had to climb down and jump down from ropes to travel down. A small change can make things so much better.

15. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    1:26 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Why nobody cares about shadow web/meso though...

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    tobymcxs

tobymcxs Slime

Aug 9, 2020
    Shadower
    Currently, the blink range is 2 training dummies' worth of range. A 50% increase would make it 3, but even then, it would still have it's limitations of requiring a mob. The current range is so short that it would only make you slightly faster, but how hard would a small buff like 50% implement? It's not going to make your mobility skyrocket.

Like take a look of what Assaulter would like like if it were 2x the range:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__INGKpGaLE&t=110s

This is literally shads having on par mobility of NLs, which should never be the case. However, all I'm putting forth is at least consideration of 75% of that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Maybe in terms of mobility it isn't a major buff, but assaulter is also used in various bossing situations for positioning (most notably in non-mobile bosses). In this case the distance of one dummy is pretty significant and can put you just out of range to use nate on a boss you got knocked into. Maybe in other situations like the platforms on ht, it can just be a matter of being slightly farther away before using the skill. I'm not completely rejecting your idea, but I'm just thinking if the increase in mobility is worth potential complications for other applications of assaulter. If it results in more difficulty or impossibility to chain assaulter (to reposition) and nate during bossing, I don't think the extra mobility becomes worth it. Like you said, Shads needs to have their skills flow nicely with each other, but I can't think of particular examples where this isn't the case. I've seen people do some interesting movements with assaulter chained with other skills and movement. You just can't spam it like fj since it requires more precision and requirements in order for the skill to activate.

18. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    I think you do reach the arms if you are the very end of the platform (unlike an untransformed bucc, give us buffs)

19. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    My thoughts on the buffs you suggest:
    -I kinda like ensuring you will be on the other side of the mob altho is not that big of a problem, getting hit is a thing that happens less often then more levels you gain as shadower.
    -Not sure what you mean about the minimum cast range but if it helps then why not?
    -I don't know what NPC u hate so much that u want to cut it (is ok I hate some npcs too like that stupid cornian at the HT cave). Sound impossible to apply tho, I don't remember any npc on a crucial spot that u can use to move along thom perhaps that adobis on the zakum map?
    -Also I don't know how much range would do to this skill, is already super good, I mean I use Corkscrew Blow and I have to be so damn precise to climb up platforms with it (and it has less range than rush and assaulter).

20. aaronis

aaronis Slimy

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Shadower
    Beaters
    poggers buff op class +1 i agree, no bias

• Agree Agree x 1