1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Keeping things strictly "nostalgic"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by 13ad, Nov 21, 2020.

1. 13ad

13ad Slime

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    12:50 PM
    The whole purpose of keeping HP washing was because staff wanted to keep legends strictly pound for pound v62. (but it seems recently, we're straying away from this ideology and only using it to defend our thoughts when it benefits our point)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With the introduction of pink bean, did players in the past have to dish out absurd amounts of money (for hp washing) to be able to fight pink bean? Or was the transition to get rid of hp washing implemented with the addition of PB.

If we are implementing something that doesn't naturally belong in v62, does it make sense to keep its stats the way it currently is? We already used this idea on tuning down reverse weapons, why not do the same to PB.

Although PB is definitely ment to be a late game boss, I feel that we're focusing too much on providing content for late game players who have played for the past years, and not trying to help retain the immense amount of new players we're gaining due to covid.

I believe we really should be looking at why players leave and only stay a few weeks for the nostalgia to get their fill and leave the game.

HP washing- seeing post after post saying you need 1year+ of voting nx to be able to access legends to its fullest content. (really not appealing) Now, you really cant say hp washing isnt optional....

Starting Mage First- this is just so unhealthy for the game. Forget the ability to make money fast. I dont care about that, id play nl if that was the ONLY issue. But the issue of having to put ap into a [STAT THAT SHOULDENT NATURALLY BELONG] makes it a requirement to leech your own character. What fun is that? skipping the enjoyment of 1st/2nd/3rd/even 4th job and pressing shift every few seconds on a mage....

Dont tell me that just because Neckson did it in the past and it was successful and popular, that everything was perfect. Why do you think in future versions they got rid of hp washing.

As we grow older, the maplestory "nostalga" transitions from v62 to v8x as younger kids seek for the nostalgia that happened in their time. Maybe thats why legends decided to start implementing stuff from newer version to keep the games longevity. But i also wonder what kids from the v8x generation would think about hp washing.

TLDR: If we are taking back the argument of "keeping things 100% nostalgic v62" and adding things such as PB and reverse weapons that dont naturally belong in this version, then we should also rethink the issue of [required hp washing] dont tell me its optional. and not being able to play a class that you want to play right off the bat, and playing leechstory.

My view on HP washing still stays consistent. [https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/lets-solve-hp-washing.21020/]

EDIT:

To those confused on what im talking about how nostalgia is transitioning from v62 to v8x.

I'm highlighting the point that the new wave of maplestory gamers seeking private servers tend to be younger kids now, in which their perception of nostalgia would be of newer v8x servers hence, coming into ML blind. Not knowing about hp wash could be detrimental in the long term.

There needs to be a way to be able to get to the minimum hp requirements without having to restart your character, leechstorying it, intstorying it, or etc

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    7:50 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    PB was released the same time as ToT, and iirc PB/ToT was released around v62 in KMS. Just because it didn't come out on GMS or MSEA till later-ish, doesn't make it not nostalgic ;) as for HP washing, just saying "let's get rid of it" is definitely something people will agree, but that's never been the problem :p

the problem is HOW you'd do it. I think we've done a decent job with pet equip for HP scrolls, MB ring, etc etc. So if you have any other ideas along that line, please let us know~

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. OP
    OP
    13ad

13ad Slime

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I mean,yes. It is nostalgic for koreans who played kms. Though I think most of the player base is from America/canada/europe. Thus the nostalga we're talking about is gms based. Here is a chronological version history http://www.southperry.net/timeline.php

Some suggestions involving hp wash I agree with can be found here https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...eds-to-be-more-sources-of-hp-available.35255/

• Like Like x 1
  4. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    6:50 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    inb4. QUEST RING (make ellin ring upgrade).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    7:50 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I think ML started to have its originality from v62, from 2k17 or somewhat around that period.
    You don't know how i was surprised for watching they decided to balance stuffs, and 1/2 boat ride time, and so many stuffs which is treated as "sure stuffs" for nowadays, after I came back from 2+ years break.
    So there's no point to tell "ML should be same with GMS" anymore. ML is ML, and have its originality which isn't same with any other servers/pservers.

Obviously, PB is doable. personally, I didn't expect PB will be killed soon like this. thought it'll be next year, or, even more than 2 yrs, not only 15 days. I do know preparing character for PB is hard journey but see, it's only 21 days from PBs release. staff team would need actual data from live server, to make stuffs better, of course. (and they're working on it now, obviously. just see recent patch notes related with PB).

If you don't want to play in MLs rule and way, there's always another options. Sadly, I'm almost (not every, but almost) agree on how it's going.

as always, there's no option to satisfy 100% members. some may prefer authentic, some may prefer neo. I'm side of former.

added : for me, nostalgia is, KMS beta, which only has vic and 2nd jobs. (and that octagon UIs) but I don't ask ML to be my nostalgia.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    13ad

13ad Slime

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    First off, there's obviously a communication error going on here.

Im not asking for ML to become GMS like, or to stay a pure copy v62. The first statement was to point out the shift in direction ML is turning with the addition of PB and reverse weapons, as well as a counter argument that those in the past used to defend HP washing.

Just because it has been 21 days since PB release, doesn't mean there isn't enough data to back up the obvious fact that PB will now become an essential boss (unlike toad) requiring HP washing.

ex: now people cant say well, toad (PB) was only suppose to be done by warriors anyways.

"If you don't want to play in MLs rule and way, there's always another options." the common "If you dont like maple legends play another game" always a classic :)

again, to the point of satisfying 100% members nostalgia is not what im advocating for. This isnt a problem of nostalgia, this is a problem of keeping the current methods of hp wash because people used the defense that they wanted to keep ML nostalgic.
    we're basically agreeing on the same point. Because NOW, ML more than ever, is starting to even furthermore separate itself and become more unique and original. Thus, hp washing should also be reconsidered and a more healthier way of gaining hp without the act of having to 1. not choose a class you want to play right off the bat
    2. not having to wait for vote nx to level up to be able to fresh ap wash
    3.not having to restart a character due to over leveling and no hp wash.
    4. not have to rely on voting for a year/rely on temporary events
    5. not having to leech your 1203801923812938 int nl

TLDR:

1. my point about nostalgia was a counter argument to those who in the past used nostalgia as a reason to keep hp washing the way it is now.
    2. Im not advocating that ML stays an exact copy of some nostalgic v62 whether it is kms gms etc.
    3.if you read my statement, which ill give the benefit of the doubt and say it was due to communication errors, my focus was on HP washing, which I mention 8 times throughout the passage.

• Like Like x 3
  7. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    6:50 AM
    DMsRebirth
    To be fair to the server, it already released a few HP options for people. Before PB was released, the only boss where you truly cannot do without HP washing is toad and Vergamot (though technically you can just crouch every Vergamot attack), though people will continue to wash, make mages first and leech their 999 INT NLs anyways just because more HP is always helpful, and that line of thought will continue to work for PB; we just currently need some more HP available for that to remain true (about ~1.5k if counting only permanent sources - events can help bridge the gap too, but they're fickle about how much HP you can get and relying on them will basically tie you in the game forever as you're SoL if you ever decide to take a break through one)

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. OP
    OP
    13ad

13ad Slime

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    Pre PB, I do agree that staff did a wonderful job of implementing enough hp resources for the endgame boss (horntail) to be do-able without heavy hp washing. But with PB now the endgame boss and very much less an optional thing like toad, just like the wonderful job they did to implement enough hp resources for HT, they should do the same for PB.

note that this then comes to the issue of current players who only accounted for hp washing for ht. etc etc

9. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  10. OP
    OP
    13ad

13ad Slime

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    Millions of people fighting for equality and still expecting something major to be changed.

-just because a lot of people are arguing for a certain change, doesn't mean it's any less important. I don't see what benefit this post has other than trying to start something negative.

EDIT: nvm, saw your post history and your tendency to spew hate and negativity rather than give constructive criticism. Makes sense now.

11. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Is there really a point in giving constructive criticism when there have been numerous threads similar to this that have preceeded yours? Many players have already shared their thoughts about this, it's mostly the same thing being echoed again, but for different content.

You must be a special type of naive or ignorant to be in the server this long and expect major and radical changes to come through and change the washing system. You should know by this point that the staff mostly comes up with solution that alleviates hp washing, and not change the system.

Maybe if you actually spent time reading past threads instead of my post history, you'll know why nothing major has been changed (with the exception of HP rings/pet equip)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. OP
    OP
    13ad

13ad Slime

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    There's always a "with the exception" huh? Strange how all these exceptions had been made due to the "301" previous past arguments.

However, I am proud of you for acknowledging that you like to name call and find no benefit in constrictive criticism. Really says a lot about you as a person.

To better understand your insults,
    I would also like to understand where you assumed that I wanted to change the whole system. Im re-reading my OG statement above, and still cant find where I asked for a complete system change.
    I do believe I even suggested a forum topic that involves changing the interaction of PB or changing how HB works. I suggest you take a breather, and take your time to respond back to me so I don't have to embarrass you once again.

13. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I definitely appreciate the HP alternatives that the staff have brought forward however some of them require sacrificing other stats that could potentially go into damage which will still over-all make you a weaker character if you utilize them. So although they may be able to survive heavy hits, they are weaker than a washed counterpart in over-all power. I am participating in the washing of the server because it seems necessary if I want to be a character that people want to boss with and that can "hold my own" but I don't necessarily think that the current state is the best way. There have been many suggestions presented by the community that could provide end-game HP increases without having to sacrifice stat upgrades of your gear to be able to survive. I would like to see if MapleLegends would utilize other methods instead.

Edit: I agree with OP's perspective that if you want to encourage new users to come in the current washing required (despite the claim that it is optional) is a heavy deterrent from playing the game and results in early character deletion, people getting overwhelmed (especially by the main discord), and early quitting of the game.

14. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    ML needs people to vote to stay in the rank on GTOP, just like how Neoxn need the money income.

If you want to get ridded of washing, you need to create some way for people to vote so religiously on something else.
    It will be back to the vote for gachapon way.

There has to be more than just gaming decision at some point.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Yes I agree we need the voting. I just wish there were alternatives to reach a goal to have a viable character other than being recommended to come back in 1-2 years. it doesn't come off inviting :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    13ad

13ad Slime

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    This is a really good point I haven't thought thoroughly enough. Thanks for pointing it out. Ill try brainstorm a few ideas, and share them when I can figure out a viable solution.

• Like Like x 2
  17. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Totally. As welcoming as the community can be, I just can't get my friends to join me playing this game and they were all hardcore maplers back in the mapleSEA days. I just can't tell my friends that they need to vote for 6 months (decent washing, not hardcore), before you can play your non warrior class and even warriors need to wash a bit.

As much as you advertise washing as optional. The amount of INT lord, INT archer you meet in the game makes a "normal" character seems the wrong way to go.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    1:50 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    I see a lot of hp washing treads and complaints and even more suggestions for improvements, and all that for the purpose of end game bossing.
    and I always think why is HP the only solution?

I have been told and kinda witnessed in my experience the utter disregard for the DEF stat because "it is useless on high levels",
    so maybe a solution is to keep HP washing as is but make DEF a more meaningful stat ?

i hope someone can enlighten me on why it is a bad idea because i do not see any downsides to it.

maybe it is not possible on a code lvl but i think that if you make it that a char at lvl 180 with the best gear can survive hit ko tnx
    to some hardcore def gear it will be a good solution, instead of saying "you need to hp wash for bossing" you will say "you need hp wash for bossing OR godly gear"
    and you cant say that godly gear is to much of an effort for end gear characters.
    i believe that at the end of the day you need to put a lot of effort for the end of the end game (like PB) otherwise it is not an achievement.

19. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    why not make a buff that grants 1000 w.def. and m.def when u enter PB, last for the max duration during PB, BUT when you die and get ressed, you wont be able to have this buff.

probably u need a T10 ring, getting those HP pet scrolls, a nice BFC, and those buffs to survive a PB attack.

*what if i die?! i wont be able to survive the next round i get ressed!!*
    well u were given the option to survive PB. maybe u lagged or something, or maybe u were not self-aware enough, thats too bad.

*but those INT lords are able to survive when they get ressed, why am i not entitled the same?*
    well, then lets ban the entire res thing, or
    u can have an npc inside that buffs you with the 1000w.def and m.def, but will skill lock you for 1-5 minutes, undispellable, rendering you having a forced down time.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    1:50 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    There will always be a BUT, but why do i need to spend nx and they get or but why do i have to spend meso and get lucky with scrolls and they don't.
    but i am genuinely curious why not buff def?
    i mean we have gear which most ppl do not use since all it does is improve def, by making def a viable solution we will make the high-level gear more appealing,
    and that will make all the luckless dexless and other some-stat-less characters excel at dmg but normal characters will excel at survivability and will be able to skip washing.
    it will boost the economy since ppl will be selling more variants of high lvl gear and it will reduce the need for washing.