1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Pink bean and it's current state

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by mathijs2000, Dec 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. mathijs2000

mathijs2000 Mushmom

Sep 4, 2016
    4:26 PM
    Night Lord
    GoedVerhaal
    Pink bean is the last end game boss, the last pre-big bang expidition boss in maple. Now with pink bean being out for over a month we have generated more knowledge on strategy and how to optimise damage output. To my knowledge, there are currently three squads being able to take down pinkbean. One of which has 100% clear rate, whereas the other two have struggled a bit more.

Pink bean isn’t neccesairly the same as original. ML’s Pink bean has 50% damage reduction whereas original has 90%. In addition, original timer was 60 minutes instead of 90 minutes. With how pink bean is functioning as of now it seems that damage reflects don’t instantly cast when going off cooldown too. Not to mention, Maple Legends has buffed many classes over time in ways different than gms, also introducing a variant of event items increasing overal damage. Weighing in these factors pink bean is considerably more easier.

In my experience and especially with recent runs, clears have been easier and easier. Last run 12/19/2020 Blu301’s squad cleared with 28 minutes on the timer left. This run we used heartstoppers last ~20% hp of pink bean. To me this seems that pink bean is clearable within 60 minutes.

Runners have already experimented with hitting pink bean from the left side rather than right side. I have compared dpm with hitting pb left side, and have seen a huge significant increase in dpm(I would say about 40%). Not to mention with the pink beans being cleared right now and timeless weapons being accessible, pink bean is only going to get easier(a clean 67 att claw has already been made).

My suggestion, decrease timer to 60 minutes. Cutting down on time will increase difficulty, this will make the boss feel more end game. Running an end game boss especially pink bean, should require only end game characters(e.g. no base int), that can fill their role well. Another suggestion could be inceasing damage reduction on pink bean. I am more in favor for the suggestion to decrease timer, but increasing damage reduction to match the original pink bean more works aswel.

I know pink bean might feel really hard to some squads as for now. Though, in my experience when running pink bean it feels like another horntail run, not end game boss. Squads who don’t finish 100% of the time simply lack in power, whereas some attackers still have base int. The entry barrier to pink bean is too low as of now, there shouldn’t be any chacaters who can’t fullfill their role.

In my experience, we can clear pink bean without using end game attack potions(Gelt chocolate, onyx apples) all the way through. Pink bean should require us to invest all our resources into the boss. We are able to finish with 28 minutes on the timer, which comes back to the point it does not feel like an end game boss. Pink bean should require us to use apples/gelts all the way through with just enough time left to finish.

Lets have a civil discussion about this, without pointing any fingers.

• Agree Agree x 17
    • Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    10:26 AM
    DMsRebirth
    As far as I know, the 90% reduction isn't part of the original PB. It's part of the modern PB, in an environment where ignore enemy defense is a stat and modern endgame bosses (and PB is definitely not one of them) all have 300% damage reduction as a result.

3. MrPresident

MrPresident Capt. Latanica

Dec 19, 2017
    MrPresident
    Spearman
    I agree PB should be harder but don’t think a timer or defense change are the way to do it. All that pushes is the single target NL meta and would push out pallies, heroes, and DKs which can be muled if you need HB. I think a change to DR where it activates after the animation but at the same time as the 1s appear is a better solution. This would make it more punishing to just hold your attack button and attackers would actually have to pay attention to animations rather than seeing the 1 damage lines.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. Blu301

Blu301 Pac Pinky

May 20, 2019
    Male
    East Coast, USA
    Blu301
    Shadower
    Summer
    I disagree with this for a couple reasons, mainly because I only see negative consequences if the timer was decreased to 1 hour.

While in theory I agree that Pink Bean ended up being a bit easier to clear that many of us had initially thought (our team is 11/11 on clears), in reality if the timer is decreased it would just be a "screw you" to the slightly lower levels with slightly worse gears. All decreasing the timer will do is lock Pink bean from 3 (possibly 4 if a new host arrives) viable squads that can clear to 1 (possibly 2 tops, nobody has eclipsed a 1 hour run yet). When looking at the Pink Bean drops and sales, anyone familiar with this market knows that any of the good items are already extremely difficult to sell at decent prices (I haven't gotten 1 bid on either of our 3 att facestompers). But this is not an issue with the market being flooded, it's an issue with there being not enough funded players who are willing to buy in general. I don't see the runs becoming more profitable if there are only 1 or 2 hosts selling the drops as opposed to 3 or 4 because there is already too small of a pool of funded players interested in buying these items in the first place. We would still struggle to get reasonable bids on anything good.

More important than the market for Pink Bean items crashing so quickly, as a host I strongly disagree with having to further restrict the levels/strength of the runners. Our average level is already usually 193-194ish, and that's with some "underleveled" bishops and DKs. If we switched to a 1 hour timer, it would force me to make ugly moves, like making sure every runner has a finished weapon and crazy attack gears and the like, and it would also be imperative to reserve slots for classes like NLs (fuck NLs) whereas they already take up the most slots on our runs on average, at 5-7. I really prefer having more inclusivity and a diverse squad, and it's not like the thresholds I use are easy either - everyone is at the endgame level, though there will always be some who are stronger than others. I generally say anyone 185+ is acceptable as long as they have solid attack gears (a good handful of team members each run do not have "finished" weapons and att gears, we've had shads and archers with as low as ~125 att weapons and similar caliber across classes).

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  5. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    11:26 AM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    I agree with the sentiment of making it harder but 1 hour timer would only make it exclusive for a couple of classes, I would like to see 1-shot DR and wheel removal as I've seen suggested before

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    mathijs2000

mathijs2000 Mushmom

Sep 4, 2016
    Night Lord
    GoedVerhaal
    I can get behind the idea of removing wheels and tweeking the damage reflect mechanic. In some runs pink bean has damage reflect off cooldown for over 60 seconds, this also could be tweeked.

Over time with people finishing up timeless/reverse gear pink bean is only going to get easier, I don't want these changes to be less inclusive of classes(more NL on runs). Recent runs do suggest its possible to clear within an hr with 5-7 NL. We were *almost* able to clear within one hr with just 5-7 NL on a run.

7. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    8:26 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  8. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    7:26 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I pretty much agree with blu301's sentiment. Lower timer forces hosts to take only NLs and support mules / classes. NL outperforms every other class in the bean right now by a very large margin.

I don't really think that more squads are that problematic since we are limited to only 2 runs per week.

I can get behind the suggested change to damage reflect ONLY IF a change is made such pb animations are visible with so many people standing on top of it. In a 30 man run, you can't even see any part of pink bean half of the time, so reacting to the 1s from damage reflect is the only sensible way to deal with damage reflect.

• Agree Agree x 6
  9. Soniii

Soniii Mixed Golem

Apr 10, 2015
    Female
    Chicago, IL
    ImSinXD
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    shoulda been released with only 1 hour kekhands. This should have been done when it was first released. kinda too late now

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    Only thing to do now, wipe all data of PB and start with a clean slate.

11. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    I don't think we can make any boss in this game "Hard" since all boils down to getting used to do the boss and get a strategy, once you do that the rest is easy. All bosses have the same issue, all that can be done is changing the boss so we need a new strat but once that strat is down is easy again (Haven't this happened a milion times in HT? that bos got thru so many changes and people still find a way to make it anyways). And ofc all of that ignoring the fact that you need to optinally wash ur booty to have enought HP to take a single hit from this pink demon, and that you need to spam apples or chocolates, that you need a big level and good equips along it (Making equips is all grinding marathon of RNG to get broken stuff).

There is a reason why bosse in MapelStory have evolved to be far more complicated: Bounch of stuff falling down off the cieling, attacks that cover parts of the screen and you need to quickly reposition, pot cooldown (even heal has a cooldown). they had to pump so much mobility in all jobs because of this. so bosses are more interactavle and things go down to proper avoiding (on top of the equipmetns, that thing is a barrer on all Maple versions).

So in my opinion if we tight things up all that we will get is a boss that still will be easy mechanically but will allow little to no mistake or bad RNG or ppl disconecting, will need to exclude certain classes unless they are meta on the boss or just have far better equips than the other DPS on the team, also keep in mind you need to arange and comand 30 people. And all that to perhaps have a chance to get items that could be good to sell... or not, along exp that can only be bested by Scarlion broken exp gains.

I think Pink Bean is very idealiced as this super hard boss that should be almost imposible to beat as if the run should fail the second something is out of position. Do we really want that?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 3
  12. rambo

rambo Pink Teddy

Apr 13, 2020
    Male
    10:26 PM
    21blvck
    I disagree any changes should be made to PB right now because as it stands, people with decent but not perf gear has a chance to join a PB run without being excluded because they’re not strong enough. If you’re gonna make changes now it’s gonna make it harder for the less stronger players to actually join PB. Just keep it as it is, market prices for Timeless/ Reverse weapon are healthy (not overly priced/ underpriced) and the splits for the runners are fairly balance (100m~ on a good day) not including the expenses on apples. Being restricted to only being able to run twice per week really also balances the whole PB market without it crashing down. As it stands, it’s in a perfect state right now.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Isn't the way you artificially increase difficulty (and increase splits) to just run short manned like with HT?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    11:26 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Seems you forgot only 1%ish (or even less than) ppl of ML can try and kill PB......

I'm not saying PB should be ezpz so 100% can attempt PB. but, PB is still far away from most of ML users, including myself.
    or, just you wanna make higher hurdle on fellows for some reason like......you know what I'm guessing.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    I agree with all the points you made, but I think the market is pretty screwed in terms of being able to sell PB gear. If your hope is to run PB to get splits in order to afford the timeless gear, I don't think it's sustainable. The rate at which gear drops from PB to the rate at which someone would be able to accrue mesos through PB clears are very far apart. In my opinion, that means the gap between supply and demand is only going to get wider as time goes on. These timeless drops are soon going to be worth what genesis 30 is worth; it's just a matter of time.

• Agree Agree x 8
  16. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    11:26 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I've had a lot of time to mull over why the expectation vs. reality of PB has been so vastly different. I think it boils down to why PB was difficult upon release back in like 2008/9.
    1. Timer/damage required. The obvious answer, but this is only ONE of the difficulties I think.
    2. Sheer number of unknown elements. What each statue did, what skills Pink Bean does, in which scenarios Pink Bean casts certain spells, the best rotation/strategy.
    The reason our expectation of PB as this insanely difficult boss never came true is because of the sheer amount of documentation we have from 2008/9. 12 years worth of data and strats. The challenge of figuring out the mechanics of the boss just didn't exist for us. Perhaps the very first group that ran had a bit more of an unknown, but once that first group ran and showed us that everything we knew about PB from 2008 was still accurate on ML, it becomes much "easier" than it was for the people back in 2008/9.

Does that mean defeating PB was less of a feat for our players? I don't think so, it's still a great feat getting 30 people and being coordinated enough to run the boss, and those that have ran it probably do feel the same level of accomplishment.

Now for solutions of making it more challenging
    A shorter timer does have the implications mentioned by all the people above. It makes it extremely exclusive, and pretty much screws over a majority of classes and/or not perfectly geared players. If you look at PB clears post big bang, those players were strong, but they didn't have like perfect gear. While PB should be challenging, making it exclusive to 1% of the 185+ community isn't necessarily healthy. Getting to 185+ as an attacker is already difficult enough, if you're gear-gated so heavily that only a select group were to be able to run it, it becomes a monopoly and also deterring for newer players. Even if they were to be strong, if there's only ever one group thats capable of running it, unless you weasel your way into that group, it just won't ever be possible to run the boss.

The other method is to introduce a little bit of an unknown back into the equation. I think with our little aggro range tweaks that we applied over this patch does this to a slight degree. It should make players have to uncover how the boss works, test the limits of what they can do, and maybe introduce a little bit more of a challenge in the process. Of course, since no one has ran PB yet, we don't know how it turned out, but I'm sure over the next few days we'll be able to see if we did accomplish this~

• Like Like x 4
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. raysinz5

raysinz5 Mr. Anchor

Jul 1, 2015
    Male
    I/L Mage
    Is it possible to add an easy, medium, hard mode to Pink Bean? The timers could be something like 2hr, 1.5hr, then 1hr (these numbers can be tweaked of course). The drop rate can be adjusted based on the difficulty of the run. This way, this extends the range by X minutes for more casual players, but also allows for more difficulty for elite players with the benefit of better drops. Maybe do the same with horntail? Easy - 2hr, Medium- 1.5hr, hard - 1hr with adjusted drop rates.

As everyone mentioned b4, there needs to be more options for HP. The staff made a pretty smart move by adding a temporary NX pendent for the Christmas event. Maybe the same can be done for a permanent NX pendent with HP (cough cough quest pendent or ring)?

With regards to the market for dragon weapons and better(using claws as an example since they are the most expensive), it's definitely screwed. A perfect DPS used to cost 150m ish a couple months back, now they go unsold for ~60m. Based on my observation, the market for perfect NT claws also tanked hard. The hype over reverse and timeless weapons was short lived. I cannot even get an offer for a 56 att claw, even with an absurdly low S/b. Perhaps people are unfamiliar with the market, hence afraid to offer. Fixing the market for higher levels weapons can be saved for a different discussion I guess.

• Disagree Disagree x 5
  18. Erik

Erik Orange Mushroom

Oct 23, 2015
    Male
    Norway
    Aixel
    Page
    Agape
    What if it would be possible to make an «easy mode» with way worse drop rate/exp so worse geared players could participate as well but with worse reward

19. INSAINRUSSIA

INSAINRUSSIA Horny Mushroom

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Alistar
    I/L Arch Mage
    Arcane
    Make a dark pink bean thats even harder lol

20. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    All bosses in ML are the worst drop rate version of themselves already, and even more so with every single update this server gets.

Having bosses with different difficulties was a nice feature added post bib bang (a nice feature like not needing to do the HT prequest every time you want to do it).
    Most bosses have 3 difficulty settings:

Easy: Nothing or mostly nothing is lethal and it has the least amount of possible attacks of the boss.
    Normal: Some attacks can one-shot you but they are decently easy to avoid, still lack some of the boss attacks so you don't have to worry about everything.
    Chaos/Hard: The boss has all its attacks and all the attacks that can 1 shot you will. In the case of older bosses, they got new moves like Ariel pulling people to the midle of the map or having damage reflect. Chaos HT also has damage reflect on the heads.

Exp is better on the harder bosses altho easier bosses have lower levels (easy Zakum can be beaten by a lv 50 for example and the chaos one may need you to be far stronger since is harder than Chaos HT). Dropwise you always get something but often the normal version drop coins to get the gear of the boss while the hard version drops directly the drops + coins.

Duno if this can be added or will be ever added since as I have seen are not a priority for the staff and if they want to change them is always for worst (and if they get buffed like the NT bosses dropping weapons, two days later they are gonna get nerfed cos welp now they drop weapons). I know this may sound too negative but after playing the server for a long time I can say this is how things end.

• Like Like x 2