1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Big Bang Update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dance, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Dance

Dance Stone Golem

Dec 21, 2020
    Male
    Fiore
    2:20 PM
    Beginner
    Hey everyone, umm, as far as I know, this has been said a lot in the history of MapleStory and I was probably like 8 or 9 when it happened. Most players I talked to in modern GMS and old maple story private servers said "Big Bang" was the biggest update in history that changed the entire game. I forgot to ask them what was in it that made everyone just have an entire new behavior towards it. Does anyone know what came with the update?

I know that one of the things that came with it was that you can level faster at least or something like that.

2. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    5:20 AM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    Maps became smaller, travelling was easier, everything slowly started to become solo, that's including bosses, and the dreaded potential system and miracle cubes. I do know that the potential system came before big bang, but it was what accelerated the descent into the game's demise

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ryae

Ryae Wolfspider

Apr 17, 2015
    Female
    USA (West Coast)
    Ryae
    Night Lord
    Nimbus
    For me, the game became so streamlined that it lost it's original charm :( The focus became less on exploring and making friends and more of a solo race to level cap. I remember there were some bits of the past that remained, like old pqs and quests, but they were so outdated compared to everything else that they weren't worth doing anymore. The straw that broke it for me was they changed skills for (all?) the classes, I was a DK and they took away my Dragon Roar ;o; rip

As for the exp you mentioned, I very clearly remember seeing this graph in the update and just wanting to cry lol. It only shows through lvl 70 but you can get the picture of how drastically easier leveling became
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Knighthatzi

Knighthatzi Slime

Jun 22, 2019
    Male
    Melbourne, Australia
    7:20 AM
    HatziS
    Bishop
    Big bang also added potential systems, its compared to WoW Cataclysm where is just changed everything, mobs had new levels, damage cap was raised, areas were changed and the game just became much easier

5. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    To me, Big Bang happened when they decided all classes should have flash jump and full map attack skills. Happened around when dual blades were released iirc.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    I believe dual blades came just before the actual big bang update, not too sure. Either way that's around the time they changed a lot of things, most notably exp needed to lvl, potential (and just damage in general), and map layouts. I actually think the changes were a lot more progressive than just the single update, but the end result was basically solo-grind all the way to lvl 200+ (since the lvl cap got raised a number of times) in maps that all have the same exact multi-platform layout that any of the 30+ classes can clear out with their movement skills and large AoEs. Only then would you start party play to kill late/end-game bosses with 50 trillion hp as you're hitting 5 million dmg lines and 10+ lines per skill. The Big Bang update just became the start of these more drastic changes. For me, it started getting weird around the time they introduced cygnus knights and every class after that. They added 5 brand new classes all at once that resembled the previous 5, but were stronger and could only reach lvl 120. It didn't matter too much at the time since I couldn't even get past lvl 70, but Cygnus was broken for early and mid-game as they had stronger skills and gained an extra AP every lvl up. Being lvl 120 was essentially equivalent to lvl 150 explorer and they had access to slightly weaker 4th jobs skills at lvl 70+.

7. FatSloth

FatSloth Windraider Retired Staff

Nov 15, 2020
    Male
    4:20 PM
    FatSloth
    Buccaneer
    ImACatMeow
    For me dual blades were the last playable patch but even then the writing was on the wall for where necksons idea of balance was heading. As others have said drastic changes in exp curve and the addition of a plethora of full map attacks (not for me but to each their own) killed the game for me.
    The charm of making buds and just goofing around while slowly progressing was now a thing of the past and even worse player attitudes shifted heavily away from casual conversations and way more towards solo grindstory. I can still remember in my last few weeks with the game being scoffed at for suboptimal training areas. Honestly I think this change in player attitude was a large part of my declining interest with maple.

8. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    For me miracles cubes and pvp arena were released theres were nebulites that gave a bonus line to potential and people would "sell" decent skills as a glitch to have people have a decent skill without having the item that had the potential line, this made the game unbalanced and wasn't fun anymore so i left.

9. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Basically big bang patch changed the genre of the game. It went from a slow but social traditional MMO into more of a dungeon crawling boss-hunting ARPG like Diablo (but with side scrolling). You can see these days in GMS that the transformation is complete and the game is totally unrecognizable from the pre-bb version.

I personally stopped playing right after dual blades, because as FatSlothFatSloth says it really showed what kind of """""balance"""""" Neckson had in mind for their game. Dual bladers could start at level 50, had their 4th job skillbooks locked behind NX (literal cold irrefutably p2w) and their 3rd job skills were like a fusion between flash jump, rush and dragon crusher, annihilating entire platforms of monsters. I looked at the Hero i spent 2 years grinding (grinding back then was just hell) and compared its performance to these new dbs who spent maybe a week. Then said fuck this game, and moved onto dota forever until I realized ML existed in 2017.

10. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    6:20 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    The descent to their demise, as all classes just ended up becoming this crazy hybrid of mages and nightlords... Full map attacks, with tons of lines spamming your screen.

Oh and they took away Corsair boats :pepehands: and Buccaneer transform after Big Bang. Granted both skills were a bit gimmicky and hard to balance, but they just straight up gave up and threw both of them out the window...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    Just like Runescape 3.

12. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I'm pretty sure ST and Boat still existed post-BB patch. IIRC it was much later when they revamped Explorer (think Chaos) that these skills were removed.

Granted, I think post-BB and post-chaos maple still had some party play element to it (i.e it was impossible to solo PB unless you dumped a few thousand dollars into the game, and empress was still a 24/30man expedition between the top players, LHC and Future Ereve). For me, things really took a deep turn to solo/muling content when Hyper Skills came out (and damage cap was raised to 50mil), making most things soloable even if you didn't spend a fortune in the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    6:20 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I was still talking about the "descent to their demise" and how it inevitably led to ST and boat being removed :nod:

14. iLovKimberly

iLovKimberly Headless Horseman

Feb 23, 2017
    Male
    Malaysia
    Tsukishima/ItamiYouji
    Islander, Bishop
    Halcyon
    They condensed the maps, removed maps which I deem nostalgic, removed some stages in pq to make the pq shorter.
    These are my last straw.

15. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk