1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Change "ocd" to "perfectionism"

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Woopperu, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Woopperu

Woopperu Mano

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    10:26 PM
    Beginner
    Hello,

So I actually struggle with ocd instead of what everyone thinks ocd is (being a neatfreak, setting pencils in perfect order/straight) and even though it doesn't bother me THAT much (okay maybe it does) I would like the "ocd" thread to be renamed to "perfectionism" because ocd is actually a very serious mental health condition and it is definitely not what is described there 1 small google search containing: "what is and isn't ocd" will inform you a lot and might also explain as to why to me it's slightly offensive, this is just to inform people I don't mean anything with it this also obviously wasn't done as a serious attempt to hurt people and obviously not everything is about me and it seems not to bother others so keep in mind that this is just a SUGGESTION, no hate. With that said I still think it's kind of silly the thread is called "ocd" but I know it's not intentional and people might dislike me for suggesting this and if it's decided it will stay the same I'm okay with that but I still felt like I could atleast suggest it :).

P.s. Perfectionism can be a compulsion and that could be part of ocd but I just feel like perfectionism fits a lot better for that thread.

• Friendly Friendly x 14
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    I do agree that claiming something is OCD when it's not can be seen as offending. At the same time though changing something from 3 letters that is very known on the internet to be said by users that are quickly annoyed by 'small mistakes' to 13 is very uneasy, to say the least.

As the thread from Bulba mention, I am one of those people that get easily bothered by small imperfections of the game and have called it OCD all this time, because it's just easier to say that way, instead of a perfectionist.

What I see more often in a perfectionist, which actually gets the term 'perfectionist' also in ML and other places is people that want perfect their equips at the very very best. That 1 weapon attack does matter! Do people call such people OCD? No! They say, perfectionists! I have never seen someone call someone that want perfect their equips 'OCD' yet I have seen people say OCD all the time when they get annoyed very quickly at very minor mistakes in-game. The other term I see flyby sometimes is 'nitpicky' but you can't really say 'post here your nitpicky things' since that isn't clear at all.

Basically, I feel perfectionist is not the right solution right now, but at the same time, I understand 'OCD' can be seen as 'wrong'.

I am open to feedback.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    The "everyone does it so I do it too" and "it's shorter/simpler" arguments are just not okay. If everyone suddenly were homophobic, would you be too?

The incorrect usage of the name OCD, which is the abbreviation of the severe, psychiatric disease Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, leads to stigmatisation and poor knowledge of what OCD actually is and what the people suffering from it are like. Mental health is a serious matter, joking about it or incorrectly labelling some people or behaviour as related to a mental illness should not be taken lightly.

EDIT: To illustrate; some researchers found that it takes the average person around 8 years to seek help for clinical depression. We really don't need more incorrect usage of the names of mental illnesses being tossed around, creating more confusion and therefore making the barrier to seek help larger.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    It's not a joke though. Again, I am offering alternatives and you do not come with any. The topics have been up for 6 years, and all those 6 years nobody batched an eye into the issue. Doesn't mean its irrelevant feedback of course. I mean, we also changed Black List to Block List. However, at least blocking was already used way prior in a way to 'block' people where 'black list' in this case makes less sense since black has absolutely nothing to do with blocking at all.

'Perfectionism' is not a term used at all for someone having sensitivity on seeing small issues, thus changing those topics to 'perfectionism' is just more confusing is the point I try to make.

5. Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    The world is changing, if anything faster than ever. I agree perfectionism is maybe not the best solution.

If you want some alternatives:
    - pedantic
    - specific
    - precise
    - fastidious
    - finicky
    - fussy
    - in-detail
    - meticulous
    - picky
    - nitpickey
    - persnickety

All these words mean being overly concerned with details.
    Now replace OCD fixes with any of those words + fixes and you have some options. Heck, fussy fixes thread even has some zing to it. Anyway, the title of the thread even explains what should be suggested in it.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Kimmy

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    You need to remember there are also people where their main language isn't English. Half of these words in your list I have absolutely never heard of.

7. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    4:26 AM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    Let's just call things 'looks good' and 'looks bad' from now on i guess

8. Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    I doubt people whose main language isn't English know about specific mental conditions such as OCD. Don't forget, in dutch we also call it OCD but in most other languages they don't.

Easy options:
    - Fussy
    - Picky
    - Neurotic
    - Small

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    1:26 PM
    I agree to this part, I have smiling depression and of course OCD.

Although the term ocd might not be translated that well to other languages, perhaps 'tweaks' could be a word? I'm not too sure..

I just hope that ocd could also be changed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Woopperu

Woopperu Mano

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    Beginner
    Hello,

Please keep in mind that I waited over a month to post this because I also dislike when small things are seen as overly offensive and I obviously saw that the thread was very very old this is also why my post was worded in the way it was but at the same time ocd isn't actually a joke or anything either so again I'm glad you're willing to listen to alternatives I only recently joined this server (well only seriously started playing again not that long ago) obviously I understand that changing the 3 words to a 13 letter word just because "wow so offensive how could you" would be uneasy. The only reason I suggested this is because "Haha -blank- is a little Ocd herself :p" is kind of like saying "haha she is a little depressed herself :p" and maybe that's harsh but calling something so unserious ocd is "toxic" wheter you agree with that or not, obviously you fully realize this and that's why you're willing to listen to alternatives again thank you for being understanding. Please also keep in mind that I'm not that offended I just want to inform people that small errors on a map have nothing to do with actual ocd it's a very serious mental health problem. Obsessive compulsive disorder. Also I see that you're saying "perfectionism" is a bad name I somewhat agree with that but I don't necessarily think it's a bad alternative because the intention of the map fixes is for everything to be perfect right? the literal defintion of pointing out these small mistakes would be "nitpicky" or "pedantic" but someone who is pedantic is obviously a little worse than someone who's nitpicky since pedantic people often want praise for their nitpicking or well be the center of attention and spread their knowledge I suppose you could see this thread as pedantic (though I personally hate being in the spotlight or even suggesting this because it makes me anxious) and the "ocd" thread as nitpicky. I do however think that using an argument as "half the server doesn't understand those words so let's not use those" (which is a broad assumption you are making by the way if people truly want to know what something means when they don't understand they'll probably look it up) is a little silly because I doubt someone who also doesn't call 'ocd' ocd in a different language would call being nitpicky ocd honestly. Other than "nitpicky" there really isn't a good definition/word of what is described in the "ocd" thread. Besides by your assumption you could argue that people who truly post there are probably also not the people who "don't speak the english language" sorry but that's just a really weak argument. Last thing I wanna say is "changing something from 3 letters that is very well known by the internet to 13 letters is very uneasy to say the least" this is exactly the problem it is very well known like that because just like you, people have used it in a way that is incorrect so let's not enforce that?

Alternatives-

Nitpick (literal definition of the thread)
    Looks good, looks bad (someone else's idea)
    Handymen/handyman (someone who fixes small things around the house is often called a "handyman)
    Help me clean up the server! (Better than ocd)
    .Wz wizards (since wz files)
    Details (meh)
    Oops.. (since they are tiny errors then in the thread you could explain what the thread is like you already do now)

I know you want something that sounds good and easy to understand for people of all languages but people who pay such attention to detail most of the time know very well how to speak or atleast communicate in a different language (though this might also be a broad assumption) and if other languages don't call it ocd then who is to say that they will even know what that thread is in the first place?

Sorry for the long post and not coming up with other/better alternatives but yea... please don't call it ocd. I'm also not an english speaker btw and I personally look up every word I don't understand so I can learn.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    I do this as well, to other words that I've never seen/heard before or just don't remember what those words meant but all in all I agree with everything you said, heck i even had to Google a few words you said lol, let's just hope that it gets changed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Tobenism

Tobenism Slime

Dec 25, 2020
    Male
    3:26 AM
    ◕`ω´◕
    we have flaws and glitches.
    OCD doesnt fit referring to actual, non-abstract issues. it was lame people found it offensive.

• Disagree Disagree x 9
  13. HollyCrap

HollyCrap Capt. Latanica

Jul 2, 2017
    Male
    5:26 PM
    HollyCrap
    Cleric
    Thankfully 2020 is ending... look at this thread '-'

• Disagree Disagree x 6
  14. Shmoo

Shmoo Horny Mushroom

Oct 16, 2020
    Male
    4:26 PM
    Shmoo
    Warrior
    I think we should call it the anal retentiveness thread or the "anal thread" for short. That's the most accurate phrase.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    4:26 PM
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    1st word: small, tiny, minor, visual, cosmetic
    2nd word: errors, glitches, things, bugs, stuff

You can mix any of them together for a new name :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Huldra

Huldra Mano

Dec 12, 2020
    3:26 PM
    Beginner
    I understand the discomfort and feeling uneasy when something you or others struggle with is used in a less serious manner. Personally I would vote for "Nitpicks" for a title.

However, with that said, claiming it is being used as a 'joke' or not taken seriously, is too harsh. It assumes and puts words in others mouths that were never said. It takes away from the suggestion to accuse others of being 'phobic' just for using a word that can be serious in a mundane way. That kind of accusation can hold a lot of power.

As much as a title change may be good when an alternative is decided. Name calling and assumptions takes away from the constructive argument.

17. OP
    OP
    Woopperu

Woopperu Mano

Nov 26, 2017
    Male
    Beginner
    I have changed my second post so that nothing I said is something that has not been actually said I apologize if I came across a little too harsh that is not my intention. Feel free to tell me if I missed something or if some words seem like false accusations or attacks I am truly only making this post as a suggestion to correct something inaccurate nothing more nothing less it is not to attack anyone. However I also think that sometimes calling someone out when they give arguments that are not based on facts but rather on something social like "everyone does it so I do it too while it's inaccurate" is something that should be allowed because no offense but it's just not very nice either obviously 2 wrongs don't make one right so I am also to blame for maybe not wording it nice enough.

With that said I have also said multiple that I am 100% convinced it was never meant in a way to actually be mean to someone or hurt someone at all I however still think it is a bad and uninformed name for such a topic that is literally all. If someone wants me to edit my second post to make it seem more constructive feel free to tell me arguments/facts or more positive things I could put there that could be changed.

Anyway if no one can come up with a different name other than the things that have been said here I don't mind if you wanna close the thread and postpone this until later, feel free to take your time on it there's no rush I just wanted to raise some awareness as to why I didn't like the name.

Lastly to anyone who feels like I am overreacting that's okay everyone is allowed to have their own opinion/feelings and I personally slightly regret making this thread because I am very bad at handling frustration, but I'd also like to ask you to look up what "ocd" is before you form your opinion and please do so on a clinical site rather than a social media site being informed vs uninformed can go a long way especially if you want to argue in a nice manner with each other.

This will also be my last reply to this thread I will only reply now if I am actually quoted or asked something.

side note: Happy new year everyone and thanks for reading my long ass posts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. thedgafclub

thedgafclub Timer

Sep 23, 2019
    Female
    thedgafclub
    Shadower
    Beaters
    As someone who's been dealing with OCD my entire life, I've also been thinking about this lately. I decided not to say anything about it for a while because the thread title doesn't necessarily *offend* me, but it does seem to make light of mental illness. That said, I am an avid poster in the OCD thread because I do have OCD...so I'm not sure where I stand here LOL.

OCD, for me, also takes on the form of obsessive thoughts (i.e. washing my hands so much that they bleed, feeling so restricted about my routines that it can lead to mental breakdown, etc.)...which makes the OCD thread a less-than-accurate title considering OCD is far more than just being anal about small details.

It would be nice if we switched to "anal" or "nitpicky" when referring to these small corrections though! SlimeAngel

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. egg301

egg301 Mano

Nov 29, 2020
    Beginner
    1st word: anal
    2nd word: things, stuff

You can mix any of them together for a new name :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Aesop

Aesop Orange Mushroom Retired Staff

Jul 8, 2020
    Female
    11:26 PM
    Aesop
    Hero
    Sometimes I'm surprised by how many things go right over my head..
    This is is one of those things (as well as the blocklist)

Suggestions:
    - Pixel Perfect
    - Pixel fixes
    - TLC fixes thread ( not sure this one works)

• Like Like x 1