1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

A Way to Lock EXP Gain

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MintMagic, Jan 2, 2021.

Would EXP Locking be a valuable feature addition?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2021.
  1. Yes

19 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. No

22 vote(s)
    48.9%
  3. Indifferent

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  1. MintMagic

MintMagic Red Snail

Dec 27, 2020
    Female
    10:06 PM
    Bandit
    Hi! I'm sure I'm not the first person to suggest this but I haven't found a thread discussing the idea, so I would like to propose the following -

A way to prevent EXP gain, so you do not need to kill yourself to lose EXP to prevent leveling up.

EDIT:
    This should apply specifically to PQ Experience.

After concerns have been voiced regarding the exploitation of an EXP Lock, This feature should be limited specifically to EXP earned from PQs.

Why would you want to do this?
    Well, as someone who just did 50 runs of Ellin PQ, In order to prevent myself from leveling past the PQ's highest admissible level (55) I had to kill my character over 100 times.
    [​IMG]

Obviously, this isn't ideal - With high LCK, I lose a meager 5% EXP or so per death, forcing me to do this many times in order to keep my EXP low and in safe range so that I will not out level the party quest and permanently lock myself out of getting a valuable exclusive item.

How can EXP Locking be implemented?
    The first thing that comes to mind is buffs - There are GM Buffs in which EXP can be given a multiplier, such as the one received in the FM on New Year's Eve. If possible, could this multiplier be x0?
    Assuming this is possible, maybe some sort of skill can be added to the beginner skill list (In a similar vein to Eurek's scroll skill?) to "buff" yourself with x0 experience for a few hours, and you could just right click it to remove it whenever you'd want to.

If this isn't possible to add via the skill tab, perhaps adding a new item that gives you a x0 EXP "buff."

There are likely other ideas for implementation that are possible, but these are my immediate ideas with my admittedly limited knowledge of what is possible.

If necessary, I could probably draw/design a buff icon as well!

EDIT:

Graying my initial suggestion out for historical purposes, but a better idea for implementation has been suggested in the thread.

The Balrog's Seal Stone allows one to specifically gain no EXP in PQs. With this in mind, simply having the item in your inventory is sufficient to solve the problems of
    1. Not overlevelling in PQs, as you won't gain EXP.
    2. Preventing botting - Bots aren't very attractive party members :p

The Seal Stone also will not interfere with bot detection in general, once again, because it does not apply to EXP earned outside of PQs.

Is this actually important?
    It's not a game-breaking issue - But it would be very convenient, especially for cases like this where you need to keep your level low, but the experience is just too good.
    It'd be a convenient, albeit somewhat niche feature if possible to implement - But I understand if it's too niche. I just thought it'd be nice to save other people to trouble of having to hug snails hundreds of times :p

Thank you for reading!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  2. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    2:06 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I believe this has been discussed before. With the outcome being that it would make it easier to bot:

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/an-item-like-everstone-to-stop-getting-exp.29945/

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/xp-off.24475/

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/stop-leveling-command.31847/

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/nullexp-command.27160/

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    7:06 PM
    Nice, a post where I can mention an item that I've had on my mind for quite some time. It's called Balrog's Seal Stone. This item would prevent the gain of EXP in Party Quests, whether it be EXP from the monsters in there, or completing a stage.

As long as the character has it in their etc inventory they won't receive EXP, if the player would want to gain the EXP in that Party Quest they would have to drop it and pick it back up, or have someone hold on to it that doesn't care about gaining EXP.

I hope this item does get released in this server so that people can have mules and not have to die over and over again, thus wasting the parties time while they go over to a map bumping into a monster until they've become a cute ghosty ghost.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    MintMagic

MintMagic Red Snail

Dec 27, 2020
    Female
    Bandit
    This is a valid criticism! Thank you for linking me this. I still feel as though the idea could be reworked to help prevent it from being exploited by hackers/bots, but I guess that's something I'd have to consider more. Hmm...

EDIT: Balrog's Seal Stone seems to address this issue - Updated my initial suggestion.

5. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Can someone explain to me how this encourages RWT botters? It's not clicking in my brain how the two are related.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Some RWTers would farm them then sell them for real money due to the high traffic of mules that would do KPQ (int 10%) or LPQ (NX)

But they'll just get caught anyways, so why try.

• Informative Informative x 4
  7. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Whoops, I just read OP thread and instantly posted a comment returned back here and saw your post.

The item wouldn't work outside of Party Quest maps, thus it shouldn't be able to be abused be "botters" to not gain exp.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    2:06 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Suggestions on how to prevent this I am sure are much appreciated :).

I assume that by not leveling up one would be able to just carry on and bot farm mesos and/or items for hours on end with virtual invisibility to detection unless another player comes into the map and reports them but idk.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    I've used the item before and I can assure you that the item only works in Party Quests, the item cannot trigger its effect outside of Party Quest maps, so therefore hunting/farming at lets say Nightghost then they would still get exp because thats not a Party Quest map.

Screenshot at Jan 04 15-17-02.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    I don't think they know the mechanics around Balrog's Seal Stone.

It's not a custom addition either, its actually in plenty of other Non-Private MapleStory servers.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    The RWT botting thing doesn't make sense to me either. Does leveling up somehow alert that they're botting? I personally don't mind the idea. Epq for example is hard to get to the 2nd earring without outleveling the area.

12. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    No, they're just making an excuse to not add something that the original servers had by not adding something that they think works outside of Party Quests, if the person were botting the party would know thus kicking and reporting them.

But either way the Seal Stone wouldn't work outside of any given Party Quest so its obvious even if someone would be botting with it or not, which they can't so..

Mechanics are hard I guess?

13. OP
    OP
    MintMagic

MintMagic Red Snail

Dec 27, 2020
    Female
    Bandit
    I think the seal stone might just be perfect then, especially if it's something that already existed in the game in some form, and only works in PQs.

That's honestly the main appeal of not having to gain EXP - Needing to kill yourself 100 times for a PQ Equip doesn't take skill or knowledge necessarily, it just eats up time for the party, and kinda stains your character with a bajillion deaths lol.

Will be editing my initial post now that I know more about the Seal Stone.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    If "RWT" is the issue I don't think people would spend money on something that would cost no more than 300k meso lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. IHateApple

IHateApple Horny Mushroom

Dec 19, 2017
    IHateApple
    Dragon Knight
    But what's your purpose to stay at certain level to repeat pq non-stop, the only reason I can think is pq mule for nx or drop (kpq oa int 10%) only. If you want to have a mule for this purpose only, u shouldn't ask for a shortcut to achieve this. But if you want to say for 50 times pq reward only, then why not just kill yourself 1-2 level earlier to cap the exp until you can exchange for reward and move on.

16. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Time.

17. IHateApple

Dec 19, 2017
    IHateApple
    Dragon Knight
    ??? isn't the purpose of pq to level up so you can move on? Why you want to cap the level and stay there then

18. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    The item is tradeable, its relootable its able to be put into storage.

People have mules for Party Questing and kill off their characters to reenter the Party Quest again.

The party would have to wait until the person would go walking over to a map and continuously bump into a monster wait until its invincibility frames drop and continue bumping into the monster until they die, possibly redoing this to lower their experience making the party wait even longer.

If a streamer would stream playing their mule would you want to watch them waste their time bumping into a monster dying then returning to the Party Quest or would you rather watch them continue with the party not wasting the time of both the party and the viewers of the stream?

To actually answer your question, the point of doing KPQ(Shoes, if not dropped/int10%), LPQ(Glasses), EPQ(Earrings), PPQ(Hat? idk about this server never did ppq here)

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. IHateApple

Dec 19, 2017
    IHateApple
    Dragon Knight
    So basically you are asking GM to add a item to give mule shortcut to cap the exp so you can repeat pq for reward? Isn't this encourage people to make more mule for pq, so you don't really need to take others with u for pq anymore since you can just bring your mule to take all the reward yourself.

And like what I said in my previous post, if you just want pq reward why not just cap your exp earlier like 1-2 level early and it won't take more than 1-2 mins to kill yourself for 4-5 times in row since it won't give you full hp after u click ok to respawn back to nearby town.

20. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    It's more than just that, in the other servers no one really did that on multiple clients, due to having to move a character go over redo it again like LPQ last stage before Ali.

To be more "GMS-like" again, GMS had the item as well so..