1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible change to mapowner

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ainz, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    3:03 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Hello hi and good day!

I know we've been over at least 17.3 million possible solutions for how to change/fix mapowner and they've never really worked out or been realistic, but I'm just going to throw this one out there for the sake of it.
    Granted, this might be tricky to implement, so I'll leave it up to devs whether or not this is even realistic.

The current concept of having a 5-minute timer 'for free' has caused a load of situations where people can hog a map by simply casting their mage ulti every 4-5 minutes without having to even use the map whatsoever.
    Simply reducing this timer to a hypothetical 1-2 minutes would also be problematic because people wouldn't have the time to use the bathroom or grab food between grinding sessions.

So here's what I was thinking:
    Let's say you enter a map with no current mapowner, you kill a (or multiple) mob(s) and start off with a 1-minute timer, this timer will then be incremented by a small margin every time you kill a given amount of mobs. What this achieves is basically building up a 'buffer' of your map ownership.
    What this achieves:
    -You can no longer just hold a map by ulting every 4 minutes because then the timer would tick down faster than you're increasing it.
    -If you want to grab food or use the bathroom during a grind session, you can build up a large enough buffer to have time for this.

You could, of course, bring up the counterargument of someone building up a huge buffer and then being able to hold the map for an extended period of time without even having to attack, but this can easily be avoided by setting a max on the buffer of 3-5 minutes.

I'm always open to constructive criticism and I'm well aware this idea probably won't be accepted, but I wanted to just throw it out there.

Kind regards, sorry for the long read,

-Ainz

• Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Lulinya

Lulinya Selkie Jr.

Aug 25, 2018
    Male
    8:03 PM
    Lulynia
    Beginner, F/P Mage
    What if I have diarrhea and need to poop every 3 mins also need hydrate to poop again

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    9:03 AM
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Its a great concept but I don't think it will fix the issue. Main concern being that all maps and classes are not created equal. As this is intended to specifically target mages, you would need to put the counter relatively high due to the fact that the maps they use are high mob volume and the speed they can kill is equally high. This then punishes other classes that use single target attacks to kill less dense maps. They will not be able to reach this target number as easily so are more likely to lose their ownership going to the bathroom. You can argue that their maps are less contested, which could be true, but they still risk losing map over it which will start a new argument over fairness.

I don't think the staff have the ability to edit each maps ownership rules individually, based on the fact they couldn't easily edit the rules for himes. It seems to be equal across the board.

It would be nice if it was able to detect that you're only killing a small amount of mobs with large amounts of down time and lower your ownership time from that. Like if you kill mobs then 4 minutes pass of nothing, then you kill mobs again, then another 4 minutes, it would detect that you are map hogging and lower your time. Though I don't think that would be implemented either.

5. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I actually considered this as well, forgot to mention it in the post.
    This could be resolved in the same manner that droprates for mage ults are reduced for various items. E.g. a skill that hits 15 mobs could give a smaller buffer than a singletarget skill.

6. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    IMO you should change the 5 min timer to 2 or 3 mins.

This way you will have less people holding a map without actually using it, without affecting people that actively grind too much.

Making it easier to lose a map also means it's easier to find an open one.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    6:03 AM
    OnionXDOnionPissed OnionWarning

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 7.28.22 AM.png
    idk man I'm big sad

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. asdfjkliang

asdfjkliang Selkie Jr.

Jul 10, 2017
    Male
    9:03 AM
    Mirage
    Hero
    Influence
    Just take out mapownership mechanic, so we can have KS wars like back in GMS lolz

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I think the system is fine the way it is. The only problem with mapowner right now is that low level players cannot take mapowner on some maps (like himes).

• Agree Agree x 10
  10. OP
    OP
    Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    I agree there's not really any serious problems, this was more so meant to potentially prevent people from hogging maps by attacking once per minute without having too much impact on the rest of the system.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    While we’re talking about it can we just make it bannable for 13x-15x mages to solo 5-6F maps?

As far as map ownership goes it’s just really sad seeing people at ulu2 and 5-6F just hold maps for 1-2 hours at a time during peak times just casting ulti once every 5 min.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Yea I think that's what the OP is aiming to solve.

13. Tobenism

Tobenism Slime

Dec 25, 2020
    Male
    8:03 PM
    ◕`ω´◕
    ancient problems should only require traditional solutions.