1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

NEW and need some tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dude Lemon, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Dude Lemon

Dude Lemon Blue Snail

Feb 10, 2021
    Male
    10:41 PM
    Beginner
    not sure if this is where it goes

Hey guys i have not jumped into maplestory for years, recently had a feel to jump into old school maplestory. i decided to see some guides before i started my account and stuff but it just confused me. With things like "HP washing" "dexless/luckess/etc" i am not sure how to even start or what is right.. I am planning on doing the pirate class, seemed fun to be on a pirate ship later on in the game. how would you recommend i start my very first account in this server? (or any server for that matter, havent played since 2008-2009).. ill be playing casually and hopefully over time do some bossing and stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    First off, Welcome to MapleLegends!

HP washing is a mechanic to where you add INT to gain more mana leveling up and then reseting MP into HP and then MP into main stats so you're getting two for one point (but spending a lot of NX to reset) I use this guide here
    https://4305s.ucoz.com/publ/fleyx_hp_washing_guide_double_triple_washing/1-1-0-13

But don't feel that HP washing is a must, you can do it if you want to. (it's more comfortable to do it though because it gives you more HP so saving potions and not getting one shot.)

The Corsair has a boat that you're able to mount onto to dish out damage however theres a Buccaneer that doesn't get a one.

Corsairs are kind of like Bowmasters(Hurricane) and Night Lords(Triple Throw) hybrids(not actual hybrids, just them recharging bullets like NLs do) with them having Rapidfire, Corsairs have summons that have really long cooldowns and without their summons their DPS is pretty horrible but with it they're amazing.

Hope you have fun playing the game like you had before during those times, cya around :D

3. OP
    OP
    Dude Lemon

Dude Lemon Blue Snail

Feb 10, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    I kinda see, ill just see a basic guide on how to place my AP and SP and not worry about the other stuff, since i am just starting i dont have a single meso or NX to my name, i assume it would be a waste of time to try an HP wash and stuff, ill just make a basic pirate.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    You can ignore all the hp washing stuff since you're planning on playing casually, though it would be possible to do light/moderate washing while still having your character playable. The extra hp from washing is really for comfort in most cases (exceptions would be some end game bosses: neo tokyo, pink bean, Toad, etc). You'd only regret not washing if you switch from casual to some hardcore bossing.

Pirates are definitely some of the harder jobs to choose as a first character, but they pretty fun to play. It seems like you're leaning towards Corsair, which is actually really rough until 4th job. It won't be too bad until around lvl 70 since there's a plethora of pqs you can do, but your lack of good mobbing and lackluster damage will make it harder to grind. Corsairs are one of the best in single-target damage when they hit 4th job so it'll be worth it in the end.

Buccaneers will have more hp, but they still benefit from washing so its something to consider. They're easier to train in the earlier levels and they're fun to play since they're all about chaining skills together. The issue is they're rather disappointing in 4th job in terms of bossing with the exception of Time Leap (resets cooldown for skills) and Speed Infusion (ups attack speed).

Ultimately do whichever you think you'll have the most fun with. Some would suggest making a cleric for a first character as a means of making money before making your main, so an option would be making two accounts (one with your pirate main and the other with a mage). Or you could just stick with the one character

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Dude Lemon

Dude Lemon Blue Snail

Feb 10, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    it seems like it would take a a long time to get two accounts up at a decent level. ill just take it easy an just level this character. thank you for the info though, i really appreciate it. in the future if i want to hardcore boss ill consider making an optimized account.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    1:41 PM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Quoted from my pervious posting, which will be some what relevant to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    the 200 IQ quote, why didn't I think of that XD

When you make another character, its best to make a whole new account itself, so that you can log on every single one separately, its quite handy :D

Good Luck friend

8. IHearColors

IHearColors Timer

Jul 1, 2017
    Male
    Shadower, I/L Arch Mage, Bandit
    Not sure if you know, but you can multi-client on this server so leveling two characters on separate accounts isn't as bad as it sounds. You could technically pq with both characters, using one character to kill mobs/do what you need to in the pq while you just use the other character to fill a spot in the party and go through the portals. Granted this is only if your party members are cool with this. I know someone on the forums suggested making a i/l mage and cleric and training both at the same time so its doable. Just something to consider

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. AioriaX

AioriaX Selkie Jr.

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    1:41 PM
    AioriaX
    Night Lord
    Beaters
    You don't have to give up if you want to become a corsair.
    Here is a link to a complete journal by GetSmoked, who decided to document his journey from level 1 to level 196 by playing only a few hours a day, with complete zero funding from other characters, with no mage-leeching-mules.

My Maple Journal (inspired by Skuire) | Page 50 | MapleLegends Forums - Old School MapleStory

Have a quick read at the start to see how he jump-starts his journey.

Have a realistic expectation that at lower levels, when starting out new, you will be weaker than funded newbies and possibly take longer time to level up and make the same money. But just accept that, move on, keep striving toward your goals and you'll make it there like GetSmoked did.

All of us start somewhere. Not everyone has a mage to leech their character, and not everyone will make one. A lot of us solely made attackers because we did not want to train two characters. Enjoy the game in your own way with your own goals. Write your goals down and write a long-term plan on how to achieve them.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Preacher Ethan, I have sinned..
    FoxF4

• Funny Funny x 1