1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Playing MapleLegends on Mac M1/Big Sur/Catalina

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Floris, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    9:32 AM
    DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE ANY LONGER!!
    MapleLegends staff released a guide on setting up the game through CrossOver/Wineskin fully supporting M1/Big Sur/Catalina, which can be read HERE

In case there might be some issue with CrossOver in the future or anything, I'm leaving the guide on how to run MapleLegends through the Parallels trial version below.
    Hi ~

So after struggling for an entire day and googling stuff, here's my probably scuffed guide on getting MapleLegends to run on the new MacBook M1 series / MacOS Catalana or Big Sur.

FOR INTEL BASED MACBOOKS (aka not M1)
    Downgrading to Mojave and running MapleLegends that way as explained here is probably going to be the easiest option. Though downgrading your macOS might have some disadvantages.
    M1 chip based Mac systems are unable to downgrade in this way, Mojave does not support the M1 chip.
    Another option is running bootcamp/parallels to run windows.

FOR M1 BASED MACBOOKS
    The problem with currently running the Mac client on Big Sur/Catalana is these versions of MacOS no longer support 32 bit applications, and will never do so in the future. They are also unable to run bootcamp, apple announced they will never get bootcamp either as explained here.
    The idea is that windows applications (specifically 32 bit ones) should in the future be run through virtualisation software.

Info:
    There is as of today (31/12/2020) not yet a fully developed version of a virtual machine available for the M1 chip. Therefore, we will have to resort to the Parallels Technical Preview version currently available.
    DISCLAIMER:please carefully read the information provided by Parallels on this project as can be found here: Try Technical Preview
    I am not associated with Parallels, nor have any inside knowledge.

Step by step guide:
    This software (parallels) is currently still free, as you are a tester while they develop the software. Eventually it probably will become a paid service.
    GETTING PARALLELS
    1. Click this link: Try Technical Preview
    2. Log in using one of the listed options / create an account
    3. Read the page
    4. Download the Parallels Desktop link
    5. Follow the instructions

For me, Parallels was not able to find a Windows ISO file on its own (I waited for that cog wheel for 10 mins and gave up).

1. Sign up: click here
    2. Download the Windows 10 ARM based ISO here
    3. After following that link, sign in on the page in order to download the ISO.

Now go back to Parallels, which should still be stuck searching for ISO files. Go to Manually select iso > browse to the ISO you just downloaded > click it and follow the rest of the installation.
    After the installation completes, you should now have a working windows 10 Parallels on your M1 Mac.
    Go to maplelegends.com, download the windows client and install it. For me, the client gave a common windows error I seem to have forgotten. Resolved it by googling MapleLegends + error code.
    Note: I only got the HD1 client (1024x768) size to work for me, the larger (1366x768) size doesn't seem to work.

upload_2020-12-31_11-40-19.png

I hope this helps anyone out there looking for a solution. Be sure to send Microsoft and Parallels some feedback if you run into any issues. So far mine works well, but I can't vouch for how well/how long this installation of windows through parallels will work.

If you have any questions, let me know!

• Great Work Great Work x 7
  2. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    One problem I see in the future is that the Windows Insider Program for Windows 10 ARM ISO might... I say might need to be paid in the future, as its a trial usage

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    I don't think this will be for everyone nor that it is a permanent solution, its just the only way I was able to currently play the game for free!

Edit: also thank you so much for your help!

4. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    I wanted to bump this, after a month.
    Hows it working?

Running nice and quiet, or does it crash?

Right now I'm running a late 2013 Macbook Pro on Mojave for ages...
    I'm really interested in your updates Floris because I'm actively thinking of getting an M1 Macbook Air, or M2 next Autumn and I kinda want to play this game in the future.
    [​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Honestly I have had absolutely no issues so far. The parallels version is as stable as I would expect from a purchased edition, doesn't crash and maplelegends works like a charm. My M1 macbook air with the 7 core GPU has a really easy time running 2 clients (haven't tried more because I dont use more than 2) and a bunch of other stuff such as twitch/youtube/other apps. It doesn't get hot or get weird after time, overall cannot recommend enough. I use windows in the 'coherence' mode which means you don't even notice you are running windows on the side.

Obviously the client may crash/disconnect sometimes but this is definitely not more than on any windows computer I played the game (maybe even less).
    Only negative things I've noticed:
    I never got the biggest resolution (1366 x 768) to work, only the 1024x768 works for me.
    I sometimes have to press the MapleLegends button in my windows start menu 2 times, which will then after a ~10 second delay open two clients. If I just click it once I feel like it takes longer to open/won't open. Overall never had a situation in which I couldn't launch the game though.

I hope that helps <3

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Did you try with crossover? I'm interested in that method too

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Blue Snail

May 25, 2018
    Male
    4:32 AM
    I play on a 2020 intel macbook pro, i just play off bootcamp and it runs great no problems, only thing is partitioning your hard drive space so make sure you have enough room, but i really only run bootcamp when im playing maplelegends so my partition is small

8. Siggy

Siggy Slimy

Jun 12, 2017
    Male
    California
    1:32 AM
    BootCamp is no longer a thing on M1 Macs.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. OP
    OP
    Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Apple also stated they will not be making a bootcamp version for the M1 macs I believe

10. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    So like, I've been looking at possible "secondary" options and I've found these two
    1. Parsec app, highly interested in this working (https://parsec.app/)
      I think that this though requires a PC to host the game, unsure of how legal this is
    2. Crossover on free trial, just to test if ML works (https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover)

Can you test them Floris?
    [​IMG]

11. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Blue Snail

May 25, 2018
    Male
    4:32 AM
    I know, I was just letting anyone who has an intel Mac and interested in bootcamp that it works great!
    Instead of downgrading your OS to Mojave under, which mentioned may be the easiest option, but using bootcamp is just as easy and is like saying ur abc's.
    IMO I get to have the newest Mac OS, and get to play legends in bootcamp on windows, I have Big Sur on my MacBook currently updated to latest version. but LOL that's why I didn't wait for the M1 Mac. I got my 2020Intel Mac a couple months before m1 release, only cuz I knew I could play maple on it regardless, and it was unknown at the time if Apple would let m1 have bootcamp! That sucks that bootcamp can't be on the m1..MapleF7hopefully the other alternative options helped get your Mac to run Mapleblushmush

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  12. OP
    OP
    Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    Oh sorry I was being super dumb. I tried crossover initially before parallels, messed around with it for a full day and tried all kinds of solutions I found on their forums but I couldn't for the life of me get it to run MapleLegends sadly. Kept running into the errors that indicate some NET framework/DirectX or other graphical software was missing despite me having installed it into the crossover wrapper thingie.

13. OP
    OP
    Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    I'll look into the parsec stuff, not sure about that. But as of my current understanding crossover doesn't work. I read some other people having issues with some games (like games they haven't made an official release wrapper for) as well...

EDIT: i got rid of my windows laptop the other day so I've only been playing MapleLegends on the M1 mac. Honestly even better than I initially thought.

for comparison:
    My base spec m1 macbook air with 7c GPU runs two twitch streams, 2 MapleLegends clients and League of Legends (or more other stuff) without lag. MapleLegends hasn't crashed once in the last 3-4 days of me only playing on the mac.
    Not sure if you play other games as well but in League I get 90 fps on very high settings, briefly tested WoW worked great too.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    And that my dear friend, is how you sell me a laptop.
    I want one now
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Siggy

Siggy Slimy

Jun 12, 2017
    Male
    California
    1:32 AM
    Waiting on the M1 MacBook Pros :cool:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    jelly, I wanna play ML while on sofa without having a personal heater on my stomach

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. AbeiyaMiraj

AbeiyaMiraj Snail

Feb 23, 2021
    Female
    2:32 AM
    Abeiya
    F/P Wizard
    Trying to figure out this whole process. How do you get a functioning activation key without paying?

18. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Not sure, but I'm certain FlorisFloris paid for the Windows ARM program

19. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    9:32 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    Question,

How were you able to get MapleLegends to run on parallels? I've been trying with no luck as it gives me the "Sorry, this application cannot run under a Virtual Machine" error

20. OP
    OP
    Floris

Floris Capt. Latanica

May 27, 2020
    Male
    I actually did not pay for it, this procedure is currently still available for free. Downloading a windows ISO is never something you have to pay for?