1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information The past and future of MapleLegends

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Kimmy, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    3:24 PM
    Moderator Post
    Over the past months, I had many people ask me what my directions are with MapleLegends. Some point out how it changed so much from 2015 to the present.

In this topic, I try to address what MapleLegends tried to be, what it became, and how we try to make it moving forward.

Users from 2015 or even earlier that still play MapleLegends know for sure MapleLegends changed a lot. Some are nostalgic about how MapleLegends used to be (ironically, seeing the purpose of the server is being nostalgic), and some liked the changes overall. Even users that joined MapleLegends in 2017 would point out it changed a lot.

As with everything, MapleLegends changed over the years, and here I try to explain what MapleLegends was and what it tries to be now, in a very long typical Kimmy post.

2014~2015: Development era

When MapleLegends started development, there was barely any server that tried to replicate GMS, and even less so servers that actually decoded the game's packets and coded things in their authentic way. For example, Fredrick was usually an 'NPC script' instead of how Fredrick is meant to be, which is inside a UI. Owl of Minerva was not coded by any 'v0.62' server. Another server for example had an Owl of Minerva that was 100% by NPC scripts, which showed your results in a very disgusting NPC window instead of the Owl interface you are used to.

While there were people around that knew how to decode packets, it was usually servers that just did it for fun, instead of public servers. v0.62 was extremely behind, and the only public emulators available at the time were OdinMS, Project Throwback aka argonMS, or XiuzSource, which was basically OdinMS with a little bit more working.

The goal of MapleLegends at the time was to create an authentic experience that mimics how GMS was at the time, almost exactly. That meant authentic NPC dialogues, scripts, features, code, etc...

Sometimes we would be looking hours for dialogues just to find what some NPC is supposed to say, and implement it.

Navi, which was the main coder at the time knew how to decode packets, so unlike every v0.62 server at the time we were adding features that were unheard of at the time. Minigames were nowhere coded, but they were at MapleLegends. Balrog ships worked exactly like GMS, some very obscure Cash Shop items such as passed gas were coded, etc... Smokescreen was nowhere coded and straight up didn't work. Up to date servers were pretty well coded though. It was mostly a problem with Old School Servers (v0.62, v0.83, etc) that were still very far behind.

MapleLegends had tweaks even at the begin

One thing MapleLegends stood up for is how it tried to fix the small screw-ups that Neckson made at the time. MapleLegends already made tweaks very early in development, such as fixing ladders, adding boss bars/boss icons, and fixing typos in items. Servers usually added a '@bosshp' command for bosses that had no HP bar, where we did it 'properly' and added boss bars instead, which were designed by Navi at the time.

While .wz editing was already done by other servers at the time, no server really took it upon themselves in trying to fix the game, making it feel more polished.

When MapleLegends released it was almost exactly like base v0.62. No skill tweaks, no additional maps, no additional content, multiclient blocks were still in place (which people bypassed anyway with VMWare), etc

People were all very low level, and things felt very nostalgic. It was a very innocent and peaceful era

2016: The era where 'v0.62 flaws' became visible

When it was 2016, the flaws of MapleLegends, or v0.62 in general, became visible. People were around 15x and had no motivation to level anymore. Skeles were the end game mobs, and grinding them at such a high level became extremely unrealistic and slow. Horntail was slowly getting released, but because of bugs, it was still kind of jank.

MapleRoyals started to introduce new areas a bit earlier, such as Ulu city, ToT, and more. MapleLegends didn't have additional content yet and thus was more or less vanilla v0.62. Slowly the high-level users started to request additions such as ToT.

On top of that, Gachapon was only obtainable from the Cash Shop, which you could only get by voting (5.000 Vote Cash every 24 hours). Items obtained from Gachapon were almost impossible to get, and due to population decrease less and fewer Gachapon items came into the server, which caused end game users to get stuck because there were no chaos/white scrolls in the server. They had no way to 'perfect' their items.

Slowly more suggestions came to make MapleLegends custom, such as adding them to drops like Horntail and Zakum, which were both rejected.

Around this time, a not-so-popular opinion happened, Which was making Gachapon tickets drop from mobs. These were known as the Hunting Gachapon Ticket (now changed to Rare Gachapon Ticket).

When those released, the rates were extremely bad. People now had sort of a way to grind for tickets, but they were so bad, it changed barely anything regarding people's motivation. People rather just hunt the scrolls directly, which was also a popular suggestion at the time.

Maplelegends was at 20~80 online at about august of 2016 and was laughed at by Royals members for being a dead server.

Removal of the multiclient check (near the end of 2016)

Near the end of 2016, one big change which is probably one new era by itself happened: The multiclient check was completely removed. Similar to most servers, you could now double click your client and you can boot it up as many times you want.

Previously, the game client would not boot up, and you had to use VMWare to multiclient instead. This change was very controversial and had many disagreements within the staff.

However, in my view, it was very unfair how some people were able to multiclient, and some were not. Sure, it didn't make everyone multiclient, but it didn't make the people that were not able to happy at all, which also contributed to why the server was just dying.

When the multiclient check was removed, the user count went up by a little bit, but not a lot.

This was also when we started adding new areas outside of GMS such as Shanghai.

2017: The 'New Source' era

At the very begin of 2017, one of the biggest changes happened at another server: The 'New Source' release. Still in my view as the most overhyped and disappointing thing of all time in the MapleStory scene. I don't say this because of competitive reasons. I say this because it's just what it was. It was hyped for 3 years and released with absolutely nothing working. Things such as 'Never before seen things in any server' were promised, and nothing of any sort happened. It was just a v0.83 with nothing working.

MapleLegends at that time was still not in a great position. However, because we were always high on GTOP, this situation made more users try MapleLegends out during their downtime. Big YouTubers such as BangHero/Liny started to make MapleLegends videos, and to this day stuck around.

MapleLegends saw for the first time in a good while getting 100~200 users online again. Users started noticing the server is reviving and were happy, but at the same time concerned.

The era of 'casual users' making feedback threads

So one thing I really remember when we had a lot of users from another server try out the server was the increasing amount of feedback threads. I still remember to this day of our users calling it the 'x server casuals that want make Legends easier'. Basically, we had much more users, but we had constantly users trying to make Legends easier; generally feedback threads to make Legends feel like that other server. They liked the gameplay of the other server, but they didn't like how the management was, and more importantly how broken 'New Source' was. At this time they also stripped away things such as FM button, ships became forced, and a few other major changes.

Users from the said server were upset because it was losing its 'identity', and tried 'too hard' to become GMS-like, which is something we were already doing. Users generally replied to that with "If we want GMS-like gameplay we would have played MapleLegends".

This was also the era for MapleLegends to actually become easier. We started to accept that GMS isn't perfect, nor is v0.62. Personally myself I felt Maplelegends was 'complete' and in order to keep evolving it (and keeping it alive) we have to go outside the box. 2017 is likely the beginning of what I would call giving MapleLegends an own identity, instead of trying to be GMS.

When you talk to 2015/2016 users that have quit because the server changed too much, they will likely mention that 2017 was the beginning of the 'downfall'.

The Facebook advertisement era

The summer of 2017 also saw the second-biggest population increase of MapleLegends: over 1000 users online. This was thanks to the combination of a few things, as well as a massive successful Facebook promotion.

A lot of our staff members at the time joined during this era. This promotion was extremely successful and pretty much pushed the server to the second biggest Old School MapleStory server.

This is also an era where a lot of areas became 'busy'. PQ's were extremely full, and people constantly asked us to add more channels. Having not learned much yet, I kept adding more channels. We had 1000 online and I believe had 12 channels at peak.

Looking back now, this was a horrible mistake, and something that I still to this day regret doing: Adding this many channels made the server look 'very dead' and when looking at feedback from users this was many times mentioned. Only shortly after 12 channels were added, the population started to decrease again. We were for a good while at 12 channels when our population kept going down and down. After a while, channels were decreased all way back to 6.

2018: The era of expanding outside GMS

So in 2018, we started adding a lot of new areas. Our goal was to expand gameplay outside of v0.62, and also had a goal of having 'every area' from pre-bb. Coke Town was added, Neo Tokyo was added, Ellin Forest PQ was added, and the most infamous Shaolin was added.

The goal of MapleLegends changed. Not only will we bring 'nostalgia' for GMS users, but also from other regions. Our goal was to make Maplelegends a 'global' nostalgic house and having people feel nostalgic from all over the world. Why limit ourselves to just GMS?

This was again a 'new thing' to do. Every server just added content from GMS, but we went outside of that.

This was also the year one of my favourite features of all time got released: Monster Book. Monster Book was with luck 'half' in the v0.62 client, and thanks to basic client mods we were able to 'unlock' the rest. Monster Book got released and shortly after the monster book ring got released too.

2019: Pushing v0.62 to its limits

2019 started with a major rule change: The removal of the Vote Abuse rule. Information as to why and everything can be better read by clicking here. This was again a major change to MapleLegends. Looking now 2 years later after this change I still think it was for the better. A little bit earlier Gachapon was completely removed from the Cash Shop and was changed to only be obtainable by playing the game, instead of voting.

2019 is when we really started to evolve the server feature-wise as well. We released CWKPQ with its debuffs and everything into the v0.62 client. For the longest time users just kept telling each other that CWKPQ will never happen in MapleLegends because of v0.62 limitations. In the end, with a lot of magic and powers, CWKPQ did come into MapleLegends, fully intact with its debuffs and everything.

CWKPQ is definitely one of our more proud pieces of work because the amount of effort we did put into making this a reality is insane. We are very happy a lot are still using this PQ.

The beginning of 'actual' client edits

2019 is also when 'real' client edits started to happen. Previously, we usually replaced a value with a new one, which made some skills be cast faster, or NOP'd some check to make Boomerang Step work at the end of hills.

Or when we added completely new code, we usually 'Frankenstein' it in the client itself, and replaced some 'unused code' with something new.

During the summer of 2019, we started to tease a new era completely: A higher resolution mod for MapleLegends.

Only done previously on pretty much private/unreleased projects, as well as Croosade and OSM, MapleLegends too started to develop its own HD mod.

This was also the start of a new era. This is when we started to do actual client edits. This is the year we started learning that technically 'This can't be done because of v0.62 limitations' is non-existent. If you are skilled enough you could literally add *anything* into the game client, as long you have the skills and patience.

This era especially was extremely exciting for me, because a lot of tweaks I wanted to make for a really long time in MapleLegends could now become a reality or a reality in the future. We were almost close to reaching 'the end' on adding content and tweaks, and this new 'era' of client editing for MapleLegends opened so many new things.

2020: The population peak of MapleLegends so far

2020 is when the biggest population of all time happened. Unfortunately, the initial population increase was due to a very sad event going on in real life, which without a doubt is not a good thing for all of us. I have explained at the end of the year 2020 topic that I am definitely not happy that it's a thing.

MapleLegends reached an all-time peak of 3000 users online in the summer of 2020. This is only reached ever in a handful of servers, and it's, without doubt, an extremely proud achievement to make, especially for a server that got to as low as 20 users online in 2016.

2020 is still a year where we made a lot of client tweaks and features. Things such as Dark Chat, faster portal animations, infinite chat logs, GFX-DC fixes, internal tweaks, and so on. We became not only one of the biggest servers, but we also did this without having hundreds of hackers inside the server.

Learning from my mistake in 2017 I now refused to add channels. Something I get a lot of criticism for. I've been named numerous things by now for not adding channels, but I don't really care. Not everything that users want is better for the server, and I know this thing, in particular, is not. However, that does not mean I ignore the issues that come with not having enough channels.

2021: Keep evolving MapleLegends

We still have many things in planning for the server, which hopefully evolves the server even further, and giving content for users to enjoy, while still feeling like an Old School server.

We feel we accomplished our initial goal in 2015, which was creating an authentic v0.62 experience. In the end, we can't please everyone, we can't keep everyone happy, and we can't equally have everyone enjoy the server as much. MapleLegends has to evolve to stay afloat, which is, unfortunately, a sad reality for most games, even unofficial servers.

The goal I have right now with MapleLegends in 2021 is to give people an enjoyable and fun time, while also continually adding content for users to enjoy. The only thing that hasn't really changed for me between 2015 and 2021 is the social opinion. It's still very important for me that people meet up, make friends, and enjoy the game together.

This is also the biggest reason why I do not want to add channels since it decreases the chances for that to happen, and makes the server feel 'less alive' and more 'empty'. Dungeons are just the start of trying to keep the channel amount at its minimum while still giving users the maps to play in. More changes to help with that may come in the future.

MapleLegends may no longer be the most authentic v0.62 experience. Instead, has its own identity, its own goals, and so on. Hopefully, even in the future we make more improvements to the server and have even more users to enjoy the server.

The future is hard to predict, and anything could happen that changes it from what was initially expected. The most important thing is to enjoy it as long as it lasts, and make as many friends along the way.

Thank you for reading. Do remember I am just a human as well, so some things may be slightly off. It's been 6 years in total!

• Friendly Friendly x 49
    • Great Work Great Work x 26
    • Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. HeckNoJam

HeckNoJam Red Snail

Jan 21, 2021
    Male
    9:24 AM
    HeckNoJam
    Dragon Knight
    Love this bit. Thank you for your commitment to creating a better version of Maplestory than Neckson could ever do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    looking forward to another 10 years [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    10:24 PM
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    Looking forward for what's to come! I figured sticking around would pay off MapleF14

• Great Work Great Work x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    11:24 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Sometimes I miss you in 2k15~2k17 blasting us 'not v62 gtfo' but this, 'having ML-original features' is something for sure.
    I think this made maplelegends much more vivid like this.

There's maxim in chinese cultural area like '盡人事待天命', originated from 'Records of the Three Kingdoms' which means 'do whatever he can do as a man and wait for God's will'. I was curioused when God will respond your hardworking during watching hard time of ML like 1~2 years from beginning of it. Now I'm so moved for witnessing server is so alive and so many people enjoying fun together, I love it. You proved yourself for, 'effort never betrays'.

Yes, You expressed sometimes you're tired, and feeling hard for so many stuffs. You've done well. and that effort you've done isn't light. As a player, it's hard to suggest you take ur pace and be easy for yourself sometimes, because of huge expectation, but I really hope, you have pride yourself, for what you've archived. It is, beyond describing. with my short english skill, I can't find proper term so I'd say so.

Again, thanks for letting me live in your world.

-ps. I was drunken when i wrote this

• Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Every year came with its highs and lows, we've seen the larger parts of tight-knit playerbases come and go and I won't even get into the huge variety of drama this server has faced.

I'm probably not known as one of the most positive speakers when it comes to this server and changes made to it, but I'm fond of ML OnionLove
    One thing that I do consider a blessing (and what has kept me here all those years) is that, no matter who the dominant vocal group was at any given time, there was always a spot for people to fit in. I like it here and I probably always will.

Great job to Kim and the rest of staff, thanks for everything and I'm looking forward to another few years!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Rainily

Rainily Red Snail

Feb 22, 2021
    Male
    2:24 PM
    Rainily
    Cleric
    Tavern
    Super interesting history! As someone that played GMS and EMS ~10 years ago, starting in 2021 I think you succeeded in creating the authentic and nostalgic experience even while adding new content. Thanks for all your hard work and commitment to building community, which is the best feature MapleStory every had.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Mageor

Mageor Mr. Anchor

Nov 11, 2020
    Male
    7:24 AM
    Mageor,rawrsaur
    Dark Knight, Bishop
    Asylum
    Thank you for making everything possible. Your efforts definitely are noticed and appreciated all around! Looking forward to the many memories we will make together~

9. Siggy

Siggy Slimy

Jun 12, 2017
    Male
    California
    Thanks for all your hard work, KimberlyKimberly and staff! One thing that other servers can't emulate is how much time and care goes into your server. We appreciate it!

10. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    I hate that I love legends so much confusedmush thank you (and all staff) for your dedication to this server

11. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Legends is a reflection of you Kimmy, alot has changed since the beginning of the server but the vibe is still the same. I'm amazed you've been able to pull this off. Much love FoxLove

12. VintrosaBarn

VintrosaBarn Slime

Jul 7, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    VintrosaBarn
    Hero
    Nebula
    As someone that has been here throw all the chapters you talk about on and off after the server came out of beta. I just want to say thanks :)

You can argue back and forward if a change is good or bad. But at the end of the day we still get to play on this server FOR FREE. Where I have made many dussin if not hundreds of friends over the years. Some that I have been talking to almost daily with for years now. And for me at least that is the most important part. That wouldn't have been possible without you and the rest of the staff making sure we have a server to meet and play on.

A server needs to grow and change to survive and that has to be okey and I think as a whole the server has grown into something better then what we had in 2015. Even though the identity of the server might have changed for better or worse.
    So i'm looking forward to what is next and hope we are still here for years to come <3

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Junaki

Junaki Stone Golem

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Northern New York
    10:24 AM
    Google, Piks, Arkin, JunakiG, Doss, Nezi
    Hero, Paladin, Dark Knight, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Bowmaster, Marksman, Night Lord, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Galaxy
    As a player who joined in April 2015.. I'd like to say the staff of maple legends has done and incredible job and that's why we all stay. Keep going good work, you've got a solid community going and though I have quit this server a couple times.. I just keep coming back. I wonder why . ;) ❤️

14. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    You're right, channels spread out are going to make things seem theres huge gaps of emptiness making it look like a ghost town. (Current GMS)

This is true, however its very difficult to make friends or even socialize with a certain group of people due to a language barrier, mainly leech sellers.

Dungeons are a great idea in to combat this however, having it 'locked' once a party is already entered isn't a great idea.. its going to limit other leech sellers/grinders from playing. I think it should be treated like its own map with its own unchained dungeon.

Since dungeons are being mentioned as well, when a party goes out and/or teleported out of the dungeon they should be 'spawned' at a safer place in the map outside.

The reason for this was once I've bought leech from someone and I was going to get some sleep the leech seller entered the dungeon in the map called The Dragon Nest Left Behind or a.k.a "2h Skele Map" theres a dungeon there that if you enter and leave it it would spawn you outside in the front of some skeles that would walk into you and kill you, and being a mage you NEED to have Magic Guard on or its going to one shot you. (My bed is across my mac) I noticed that my screen flickered as if my character had entered a portal I went over spammed my Magic Guard key and used heal, my 'partner' died. (No names mentioned for privacy reasons.)
    My leech seller said "gg" and they continued giving me leech, solo.. until someone else came along. (I stayed up until leech was done then went afk in FM.)
    Screen Shot 2021-02-25 at 11.50.51 AM.png

Thanks for creating a game returning the nostalgic feeling back for people with the name, MapleLegends.

15. Night Guy

Night Guy Red Snail

Feb 24, 2021
    Male
    Beginner
    Yo, that Lion King's Castle video was making my mouth water Lin. If that was implemented here, that would make me insanely happy. My favorite part about this post is the client tweaks and adding dungeons. Great job staff, it has been an interesting ride in this server so far.

• Like Like x 1
  16. NeonMidget

NeonMidget Snail

Mar 8, 2017
    Female
    3:24 AM
    FluffyDuck
    Bandit, Cleric
    lilflippers
    You and the team always go above and beyond for the server, it has been such a wild ride watching from within the game and on the sidelines for the last few years, I am so glad that I kicked maple royals to my trash folder when I came according legends as the community and you are amazing! I know that ML will change and it has to evolve with changes in the staff and player base. I look forward to returning again and again and always being met with new and exciting changes while still retaining that nostalgia and friendly community ML is known for. congratulations on all that you’ve achieved!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    11:24 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    I felt weird when I went that map 1st time in ML because that platform around dungeon portal was 'safe zone' in KMS, had no spawn at all, but in ML, there were skeles there.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Alren

Alren Snail

Jan 26, 2021
    Male
    10:24 PM
    Alren
    Thief
    Yess! Thank you for your effort these few years in making ML one of the better servers compared to other v0.62 server, in my opinion ML is one of the best server due to the staff's effort in maintaining the server and adding new content. Thank you for your effort! c:

19. Quintarius

Quintarius Orange Mushroom

Nov 22, 2017
    Male
    Valtarius
    Dark Knight
    Soldier
    never would I have thought that I would live to see the day that the fluffy ducks return

20. welch123

welch123 King Slime

Nov 4, 2017
    Male
    New York, NY
    10:24 AM
    nucky, Jacinda
    not bad, could be better

• Funny Funny x 1