1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

A suggestion I'm not sure can be added, but I wanted to bring up. Sniper.

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by RainbowYarn, Mar 16, 2021.

1. RainbowYarn

RainbowYarn Pink Teddy

Jan 14, 2020
    Male
    United Kingdom
    2:33 PM
    I was thinking about and am on board with custom changes that may or may not reflect the real maple in any way. Like warriors with teleport or something. That would be amazing.

But anway, I was thinking about skill changes that can be added upon job advancing, which brought me to my argument.

Sniper's strafe is weaker than ranger's strafe. This hurts Sniper's 1v1 dmg and bossing (HH i'm looking at you). However, with Sharp Eyes, it's stronger due to the crit damage. So, Sniper was made weaker so that Marksman could be made stronger. Seems fine when you think of it like that.

BUT WAIT.

I was not understanding the logic and/or the need to make Sniper's 1v1 damage weaker in order to make Marksman's 1v1 damage stronger. Why can't we buff one without nerfing the other?

This made me think about skill changes that can be added upon job advancing.

My first idea was to make Sniper's Strafe the same as Ranger's. This would make them as strong as their original bossing capabilities and put them on the same level as their Ranger siblings. Then, when they advance to Marksman, their Strafe is then changed to what we have now (or when we get Sharp Eyes maxed or something).

Doing this would make Marksman just as good as they are now without hindering Sniper. We get the best of both worlds. Problem solved.

My other custom idea would be to add Ultimate Strafe into the game, the one where Strafe hits 6 times. This could be done by changing Strafe upon advancing to Marksman, if such a change is possible. Or make it its own skill in 4th job. Adding Ultimate strafe would boost Marksman's damage (like 80% dmg with 6 hits or so) with their standard 1v1 attacks by a small amount or so, and it would also be a custom change while also incorperating one of their post big bang skills into the game, so it's like getting all the good stuff at once.

It would be nice to see strafe get some love, instead of just mostly relying on Snipe (cause that does big damage), but the question remains. So yeah, I wish to ask if such a change is actually possible (the changing of skills upon job advancing or whatever), and what people think.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. BentPaw

BentPaw Master Chronos

Sep 11, 2020
    Male
    6:33 AM
    angeloooo
    Night Lord
    Funk
    I don't know the possibility of adding a completely new skill to the game. Something like that seems difficult to implement, from both a balance (you would have to reallocate SP maxes for all 4th job skills) and technical point of view (changing pre-existing skills is way easier than creating one from scratch).

I don't have an archer, but I'm guessing the thought process is that you won't really be using Strafe in 3rd job, with the exception being HH. But since MM have a much better early 4th job bossing capabilities with Snipe, the Strafe tradeoff is justified. There's an ebb and flow of which archer is better at which point of the game, and I think it makes sense that Rangers are better late 3rd job than Snipers, then MM is better than BM at early 4th job, then eventually BMs take over late 4th job.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    9:33 AM
    DMsRebirth
    It's a fucking 2.4% decrease on a half irrelevant skill. Get over it. And learn some math already. I heard it's good for you.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    4:33 PM
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    I don't have an archer but, from my experience MM with Si can take over (sometimes) BMs.
    I would like if someone post how many arrows BM shoot in a second ( I heard it's 8?) And how many MM with strafe (I heard it's 10 with Si)
    So it's 800% VS 750% (+snipe every 5 seconds)
    Is that true ?
    If that so it looks pretty equal consider the better crits with SE, snipe and blind.

5. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    10:33 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    Hard to believe, but snipers 1vs1 potential in ideal situation already overcomes rangers.

Wish you findout how crit works ingame and how formula works in DPM. There's nice thread which Nise wrote.

Wrong...

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    4:33 PM
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    I would like to get some explanation where am I wrong? (not in a rude way, just happy to learn ;))

Hurricane does 100% per shot and from source I found
    it says 8.3 arrows per second minus startup time skill, yet I didn't find any source to see what speed Strafe shoot per second with Si.

7. RemiIia

RemiIia Mr. Anchor

Jan 25, 2019
    Female
    6:33 AM
    ⚜RemiIia Scarlet⚜
    Night Lord
    ⚜Scarlet⚜
    uh.. Is anybody going to tell them? If no one will then I will tell them.

8. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    3:33 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    The comments on this thread have been depressingly unhelpful. Granted I don't have the in-depth information on the comparison between strafes either, but limiting it to "Wrong" or "Look it up yourself lol" without providing any information sure gets people somewhere!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    9:33 PM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    This guy has posted multiple times on the forums on the exact same non-issue using no logic, math or reasonable arguments, just the same old emotional "5 hit strafe sux" spiel. Every time Regalstar is there to answer in detail, i'm not surprised this time he just says go learn the math lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    3:33 PM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Fair bit of context, thanks for the heads up~

11. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    9:33 AM
    DMsRebirth
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    10:33 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    For future readers of this thread who feels lazy to see Nise's formula thread and understand.

1. how crit works
    every single line gets +100% boosted range (in addition, not multiply).
    ex. arrow blow shots an arrow with 260% dmg. it goes into 360% if it crits.
    ex2. double shot shots 2 arrows with 130% dmg. it goes into 230% for each individual arrows, with individual chances.
    ex3. strafe(ranger) shots 4 arrows with 110% dmg. it goes into 210%, in same logic with ex2.
    ex4. strafe(sniper) shots 5 arrows with 75% dmg. goes into 175%, same with ex2, 3.

2. how SE works
    SE adds +15% for chance of crit hits. archers and NL has base 50% crit chance, so it gets into 65% in total.
    whenever crits, SE adds +140% additional dmg, over 'pre-SE crit dmg'
    ex. arrow blow crit dmg is 360%. it goes into 500% with SE.
    ex2. double shot crit dmg is 230%. will be 370% in the end.
    ex3. strafe(ranger), 210%. 350% in the end.
    ex4. strafe(sniper), 175%. 315% in the end.

combining 1 and 2, you can understand your dmg is consisted with 'base skill %' + 'additional crit dmg whenever hits crit'.
    also, you can findout that 'more arrows per minute' = 'more chances to hit crit, adding +240% of range'.

now, math time. since I mentioned 'ideal situation', i'll just math in SI+SE condition.

strafe in faster(2) takes 600ms delay, means, you can shot 100 times of strafes per minute.

rangers strafe shots 400 arrows per minute. their expected DPM will be like :
    110% * 400 + 240% * 0.65 * 400 = 44,000% + 62,400% = 106,400%

snipers strafe shots 500 arrows per minute. DPM will be like :
    75% * 500 + 240% * 0.65 * 500= 37,500% + 78,000% = 115,500%

115,500/106,400 is like 1.086. so sniper is 8.6% stronger if we only consider % of DPM.

below is non-SE situation.

110% * 400 + 100% * 0.5 * 400 = 44,000% + 20,000% = 64,000% for ranger.
    75% * 500 + 100% * 0.5 * 500 = 37,500% + 25,000% = 62,500% for sniper.

dividing 64,000 with 62,500 gets 1.024, means, ranger is 2.4% stronger

honestly, I'm so surprised for even w/o SE, their DPM potential is very similar.

This is why 'shooting arrows per minute' is so important for critical classes + SE, and cane, MM+SI is awesome.
    because, more arrows means, more chance to add +240% dmg.
    also, sniper requires 5 lower str to equip their same level weapon compared with ranger, and have slight higher base watk.

sniper already have higher potential compared with ranger with current skill, and you're asking to add 1 more line saying sniper is weaker than ranger. Please, before debating about sensitive balance stuffs, double check your logic is correct or not.

I tribute this crappy math to all the previous explainers and lazy guys but hope to understand why this thread is so rejected, future balance debators. Already references are enough and abounded. TY Nise.

to OP, please, I hope you understand how 'add 1 more line lulz' can change game.

edited/added : bows weapon multiplier is 3.4 while xbows multiplier is 3.6. means, 5.9% stronger range, which can overcome 2.4% gap of % of skill DPM. snipers were doing already heavier DPM compared with rangers. you were doing more DPM than same-level geared ranger even without SE. wow.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1