1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Question on the Mechanics of Partial Resistance

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by Aurum, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Aurum

Aurum King Slime

Nov 3, 2019
    Male
    4:10 AM
    Aduro
    F/P Wizard
    Why hello there, it's been a while.
    I am here with yet another question.

I have a question, if you will, about the passive skill, Partial Resistance, on both Mages I/L [​IMG] and F/P [​IMG].

Definition of Partial Resistance, As Per the Game:

The skill description claims: "Gains resistance against Magic attacks of [Element 1] and [Element 2]," where Elements 1 and 2 are the elements defining the type of Mage (i.e., either (1) Fire and Poison OR (2) Ice and Lightning).

My Questions:

I would like to know how precisely this skill works.
    1. Does it, in essence, increase the defense against the magic attacks where the elements define the type of Mage? For example, ice and lightning infused magic attacks from monsters would be confronted with increased defense/resistance on an I/L Mage as opposed to any other class? If this is the case, would it be possible, or feasible, for someone to provide an explicit formula as to how it impacts damage taken?
    2. If this is the case, then my follow-up question would be: How would one determine the elemental status of a given magic attack from a monster?
    • (a) With some monsters, I assume this would be easy. For example, for the monster Blue Kentaurus, since they are weak to fire and strong to ice, I would assume they have magic attacks that are infused with an ice type element. Therefore, I would conclude that a Mage I/L with its functional Partial Resistance would have increased defense against such magic attacks. Correct?
      However, the Blue Kentaurus (along with the other Kentauri) have two different magic attacks: (i) one is where they throw a their spear, (ii) the other is where they perform a rear. Is it safe to assume these magic attacks, (i) and (ii), are both ice-based?

[​IMG]

• (b) But what about the monsters where the elemental data, from the MapleLegends Library, is not as straightforward? For example, for the monster Rash, which is weak to poison, but is not strong or immune to any other elements. Is it safe to assume that such monsters, and their magic attacks, do not have a particular element ascribed to them?
    [​IMG]

• (c) Finally, what about touch damage from such monsters? Does touch damage carry an elemental status or is it safe to assume that it is independent of this? I would assume it would be independent of elemental charge, but, I just would like to verify.

I thank you in advance for your time and assistance in this matter! :) Take care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    1:10 AM
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    This is something I've always been curious about but am way too lazy to test. Definitely curious to see if anyone has some definitive answers on these interactions.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    When I first put points into that skill I thought it would be super useful, but unfortunately it isn't ): There's so few mobs with a lightning magic attack (some have the lightning looking animation, but isn't actually???). I think Ravana and Kacchuu Musha use lightning? Not sure what else. Pap has that lightning move, but idk if it actually is...

Would also love to know which mobs are lightning based :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    8:10 AM
    I believe the answer is clear.

If you actually wanted to test this, get two naked characters (one with the resistance passive and one without) and see if there's any material difference in the touch dmg. I recall trying this out once before and never noticed any difference on the lovely bains near zak.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    It sounds like it'd function like how other percentage based deductions would work, with a percent reduction in damage taken after defense is calculated.

Since it's a whopping 70%, it would turn 1,000 damage into 300 damage.

Only the problem is that there is no easily accessible list of damage types. It generally just comes down to testing to figure out what is correct, and usually you're just left to wonder how Neckson came up with half of this. It's a pretty big mess, there are magic attacks that hit physical damage, but at the same time quite a few attacks trigger DK/priest Elemental Resistance. It might take a big party to figure out exactly what elements are applied where, as even the DK/priest versions are worded differently.

• Informative Informative x 2
  6. OP
    OP
    Aurum

Aurum King Slime

Nov 3, 2019
    Male
    4:10 AM
    Aduro
    F/P Wizard
    Thank you for this information! Also, it is great to know some others are interested on this matter!

Since some people have likewise shown interest in this matter, and since I am genuinely curious myself, I would like to collect some data, run some simple hypothesis tests, and communicate my methods and findings on this forum. This will also give me experience in running similar experiments. I want to communicate both my methods and findings so that others (particularly experts) are free to critique, give me some tips for improvement, and take what they will from what I will be presenting.

However, before I do this, I am just wondering if doing the above may violate the Terms & Conditions? I have read this forum and I do not foresee this directly negatively impacting the server. The way I was thinking towards the collection and analysis of data seems to not constitute Packet Editing/Sniffing (I'm only recording my own gameplay to collect and analyze some data), but I want to be sure since it does state that "attempting to profit from a grey area of the Terms of Service or trying to "game the system" will not be tolerated"".

I would have liked to directly message a Staff Member with this question, but I'm not sure of the best way to go about this, so I am asking on here instead. Please feel free to direct message me with a response if you feel it is appropriate.

Thank you and sorry for any inconvenience.

7. geospiza

geospiza Web Developer Staff Member Web Developer

Apr 16, 2020
    geospiza
    Dark Knight
    Funk
    You should go for it. Just observing something from normal gameplay should probably be fine. I've been using in-game screenshots in owlrepo as a data collection method that hasn't gotten me in trouble (yet). A more apt example is this thread of attack animation probabilities. The stats can be calculated by manually counting things. There are also various threads of people sharing the number of items they get from event raffles and gach; it's the same type of data collection imo.

Best of luck on collecting data; it's probably going to be tedious. I'd recommend recording videos of taking damage and using your hp/mp meter to determine how much damage you're taking. Sometimes visual damage is obscured for some reason (like when you're actively attacking). If you're good with programming, you can convert the video into a text file where there's a new line for every time the meter changes. If you're not, just grind out transcribing the damage and stick them into a spreadsheet.

You'll probably want something like n=50+ to get an idea of the range. I think physical/magic damage ranges don't overlap for the most part, so magic damage can be filtered out once you get a list of numbers. Also, take a screenshot of your character stats before you start taking damage to compare against theoretical numbers. Please share the raw data you collect :)

I have this half-baked damage-taken calculator that implements stuff from this formula compilation. It's missing equipment, monster stats, and ability buffs but is otherwise faithful to the formulas. Let me know if you're interested in using it, and I can put a little more time into it. The damage calculations seem relevant in any case.

• Friendly Friendly x 1