1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shivering's Ulu1/Cornian Meso Journal

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Journeys' started by Shivering, Apr 3, 2021.

1. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    3:35 PM
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Hi, so the reason I didn't add a goals section is because it gets stale just repeating the same line in every post, but just to give you an update, I've been using the ulu1 mesos to try to fund a 25 att bwg. Last week I was able to buy an 8/5 bwg and after failing 4 ws + chaos, the 5th one finally landed. Results below! Not bad for the first try, but obviously this is probably going to take a lot of tries. At least this one can be rolled into two more 8/5s; better luck next time!

upload_2021-4-19_5-4-30.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    12:35 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    wow that hurts, failing 4 60% in a row

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Flamous
    Bishop
    Ok last post from me since I dont want to clutter the "Shivering makes too much damn money" thread.

You complain about having the discussion split into several different posts, but there is not a single post made by the mods about gathering opinions about the current state of the game, so where do you really want the discussion to happen? (You could argue patch threads, but they are mostly people reacting to nerfs without answers from balance team). There is also a lack of engagement in the forum where suggestions are made to be placed, but I can see that many mods atleast read the topic so I guess its something.
    Also just defining what deflation is, is not going to solve the the core issue of power creep. My question was just, when does a person make too much mesos or gain too much exp? Why is ulu2 or petri/skele fine exp-wise but not 5-6f? My opinion is probably the same as yours, but having an active discussion instead of just nerfing something after Shivering does a thread on his 3p1c meso gain just alienates community and staff. I'm not saying I have a perfect solution, but the fact that all of us visit the forums is that we care about the game and its longevity and involving us in the thought process would create more understanding on both parts when a big patch w/nerfs drops.

• Agree Agree x 12
  4. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    Imagine wasting 4 mages in one map to get 26m/hr when you could just farm 4 more maps of cornians.

Based by your income it might be 42m/hr
    Maybe slightly less if you count got general mob spawn between cc, but you can do a sprayed farm
    Cc1,cc3, cc5, cc7, cc8 maybe

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Nightz

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    That also requires more sweepers and many more clients running and the same time. even more input which seems nearly impossible to properly pull off

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Vowels

Vowels Mr. Anchor

Jan 23, 2019
    7:35 PM
    untrue
    Bishop
    Pasta
    the reason he can't do that is because lvl 130 naked mages can't just go to cornians and start 1-shotting everything, the mages would need more levels and funding to start doing that, he would also need one extra MU per channel (more clients) and more micromanage, to the point that the investment and effort would start justifying the income. In contrast with ULU1 requirements and effort you can see why most people don't have mage as the center of the problem but rather the maps and the mobs that enable ezpz farming. And even then cornians would be a problematic map to multifarm like that because it's the map where horntail runners go to hunt for dagger and marrow, soon it would be a problem of "why is this guy taking all the cornian maps" it would probably be disruptive to some playerbase and uncomfortable for the farmer, this shit is better done in peace in maps like ULU1 or other quiet maps

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    7:35 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    1. No single opinion thread this is because if we have it, we just end up with thousands of replies on one post that's impossible to follow. Me memeing about Shivering's posts was well... just a meme xD
    2. Lack of engagement could you clarify what kind of engagement you want from staff members? What do you mean by "involving us in the thought process"?
      • If you mean discussing with the community prior to making changes, we tried that a couple times with stuff like the removing one-of-a-kind from boss equips and some other things in the past. Unfortunately results for more radical or controversial matters usually ended up at 50/50.
      • There's also the issue of a vocal minority, where you have one person or a group of vocal people repeatedly posting similar messages, leading to an overly saturation of a single opinion and hijacking the direction of the discussion towards that specific issue.
      • There's also the issue of representation. A lot of players don't actually frequent the forums. When the one-of-a-kind boss equip discussion was taking place, I got a lot of people approach me individually in-game or in discord talking about it, but admitted they didn't bother voting or posting a reply since they didn't have a forum account to begin with.
      • Then, there's also the issue of vested individuals. Not saying people with vested individuals don't matter, but it's more likely they'll play a more vocal role in matters.
      • IF you're looking for direct feedback as to what's going through my (personal) mind regarding Ulu, I'll include a brief write up below.
    3. I linked that thread not to highlight the deflation discussion but rather the second half of that post which sort of provided a bit of insight as to you could look at what we deem to be "too much" :p sorry if I didn't clarify that.
    4. The reason we (not just as staff, but the entire community) can't say "x amount of mesos per hour" is too much is because it honestly depends on everything.
      • (Eg) A community of like 500 concurrent players and 8 channels of single mages generating 10m+ raw mesos per hour versus a community of 1000+ concurrent and 8 channels of four mages making ~20m raw mesos per hour (without factoring in potion costs for either example).
      • We also changed how taxes worked from back in the goby days, which makes the "x amount of mesos per hour" we deemed excessive in 2018 different from what we see in 2021. If I were to pull a random number and say "50mil raw mesos per hour is too much!" That statement could not hold true down the line, if we change more fundamental things like tax in the future (if we do).
    Taking #4 into account, let's look at the Ulu 1 data Shivering has been posting. I'll take Entry 14 to dissect, since it's recent & his hours invested are in a decent realm. 5 hours to be exact.

[​IMG]
    • Things to exclude from our assessment, since they're primarily player-to-player traded (thus not affecting raw meso generation):
      • Gacha tickets
      • Luk ores
      • Black ores
      • Summoning/magic rocks
      • Sellable equips
      • Power elixirs (as they're worth more selling in the FM and/or could be used by the player)
    • Things to factor in:
      • 47 hours ulu used 126,179,600 mesos for pots. Hourly usage should be 2,684,672 mesos per hour
    • Based off the above:
      • Raw meso generated over 5 hours = 94,251,308
      • Raw meso generated per hour = 18,850,262
      • Meso sinked per hour (pot usage) = 2,684,672
      • Actual amount of raw mesos introduced to the economy = 16,165,590 mesos
      • BUT transferring mesos to another player incurs 2.5% tax, post-tax raw mesos introduced = 15,761,450 mesos
    • Additional factors to consider:
      • For the average player that isn't farming so much that each character that each character can buy a white scroll, it's possible that all that meso gets transfered to one character. 2.5% tax could be applied multiple times if that's the case.
      • Not everyone can be as 100% efficient as Shivering, so it's probably fair to say that others might be able to reach 90-95% efficiency with this method. Of course, it drops down further if you don't have 4 mages & 2 sweepers. And even more if you're just an average joe without that masterful toe control.
    Those are the things I would personally consider when discussing the state of Ulu 1.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    Its fine thought, right? Since they're using 4 mages and 2 sweepers.

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/a-solution-for-mages.39589/#post-263844

9. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    not using 2 sweepers; there’s only 1 sweeper; the 2nd one is just an mu mule that enables the whole strategy of multi-map farming to take place. Pot cost is inflated by a lot because I buy like 50m worth of pots and posted that specific entry when I had like 30m of pots left. Hourly pot spend is like 1.6-1.8m. The main reason ulu1 is problematic is not because of the raw meso generation in the map; it’s the fact that the map generates that much mesos and has enough down time to farm 2 extra maps if you do it properly allowing you to inject even more raw mesos into your hourly grinding. There is no toe control involved; I play with 1 monitor, 1 mouse, 1 keyboard, and 2 hands.

Also if you decided to get hit with the 2.5% tax you would xfer small amounts to the sweeper mule because they would have 2m of raw mesos + 6m of npc equips so you’d only incur tax on half the amount you’re stating.

I'm going to counter your point about engagement by saying I think you have the wrong idea about what engagement can do for the staff team. It gives you access to so many different opinions to make better, more informed decisions. The issue of representation isn't even an issue when you look at it from this window; you said they messaged you separately on discord; that's great because it gives you more opinions and more feedback to assess your final decisions with. Your other points about vocal minorities is valid, but that's always going to be the case; I'm sure you experience that even within your own staff team at times when you are discussing changes to be made.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I never said engagement is bad :p I asked what kind of engagement he was talking about, since he didn't seem content with what we've been doing + have done in the past.

I just gave a few examples of what engagement methods we've tried in the past and the associated issues we found with it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    • Widely disrupts economic balance, such as by generating an overwhelming amount of raw mesos (eg. gobies)
      • It affects market prices across the board, by increasing every single price.
      • It actually DEFLATES people's currently existing mesos.
      • It causes severe wealth disparity, because those who are able to farm those raw mesos can keep up with the market change vs. those who are not able to farm those raw mesos, keep their current amount of mesos, which will have less relative value as the raw mesos keep getting farmed.

This thread seems to tick every box.
    Well after this analysis, it seems that this is better than pre-nerf goby on all fronts. So if goby warranted a nerf, i guess this does as well.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. TsungHung

TsungHung Timer

Feb 19, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    6:35 AM
    zzzz
    Bowmaster
    Demure
    Make goby great again

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    Return the gobies, but then.. they probably won't because its 4 mages.. :/

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    BRING BACK MANNIES

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    IT IS BACK, just with some cosmetic surgery done to them KEK

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Signature

Signature Stone Golem

Apr 29, 2015
    Male
    Sweden
    Flamous
    Bishop
    Thanks for the response and I will do my part in keeping the conversation going!

1. I can see that argument, but I would much prefer if you have a stickied thread for every current patch, where we could discuss stuff since its hard to know which suggestion threads are in the current patch and which ones aren't. Also releasing pre-patch notes which breakes down the nerf much like this post would be very helpful both to us since we can give feedback on the nerfs and also seeing the reasoning behind it, and it would prevent "unreasonable" nerfs to go through to the game (much like PBE-patch notes in league or similar).

2. I can clarify my statement about lack of engagement. Looking through the suggestions tab in the forum, every thread has almost 0 responses from staff. I'm not saying you have to respond to all stuff, but lets take the 0 helmet drops from scar as an example. Here you respond (and I appreciate that) but saying you are not a game dev so you can't make that assesment (fair). However this is where communication goes silent. This suggestion currently sits at 49 agrees so its clearly not a vocal minority, but if you came to the final conclusion that it isn't possible to do just write that in the thread. Now it just comes off as lazy.

Regarding vocal minority, I can see that. However it IS the vocal minority that do most of these strats and have the most insight in them. Shivering and 5-6F gang aswell as HH-mules. It is the vocal minority who will try to find the new "game breaking" stuff because they are passionate about the game. Just because most people wouldn't bring 4 mages to ulu1 doesn't mean that it is not broken. Also if you can't make conclusions since everyone doesn't frequent the forum, then why do you have it? You can draw the line by saying balancing and patch discussion only goes in the forum, and then the passionate people will be able to discuss here. The beauty of a forum is how easy it is to catalog and see stuff structured, unlike discord for example which have many other uses (S>LEECH).

4. For the last point, I agree with your calculations, but I'm personally missing the macro aspect. How are we visioning the ML utopia 2023? If we have a goal, its much easier to justify nerfs or balance changes.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Voxtagrams

Jun 13, 2020
    This was very well said, I agree with you on this but the rest is meh.. can't really say much about things when its going to gut other classes all in one and have a lot of angry people on the side..

18. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Hey guys. No entry today, but just a short update. Got the COVID vaccine today; probably won't see an entry from me tomorrow either. I've been a bit busy with some outside of game activities. You'll probably see a resumption of daily entries starting Thursday.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. skim0686

skim0686 Mushmom

Mar 21, 2021
    6:35 PM
    How much less efficient is this strategy with just 3 f/p mages + 1 mu sweeper?

20. Nightz

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    That should be your answer^

• Like Like x 1