1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

What is Legends like as a server?

Discussion in 'Help & Advice' started by benkrong, May 5, 2021.

1. benkrong

benkrong Blue Snail

May 5, 2021
    Male
    6:15 PM
    Hi everyone, hope you all are staying safe and well.

This is an open question to all - what has your experience been like on this server? To be more specific, do you feel like the culture here encourages social, balanced and progressive gameplay?

I have been playing on the neighbouring server for nearly 3 years now, and am pretty discouraged by the general direction it's heading in. This is probably down to personal preference, but I particularly dislike the prevailing culture there which has a strong fixation on min-maxing everything, where running end-game bosses with a bunch of mules is seen as the only goal, and where leechstory is pretty much the mainstream way the game is played from levels 1 to 135. Early to mid-game content is pretty much non-existent because everyone mandatorily has 300-400INT for HP washing. The social aspect is greatly diminished as well due to mulestory. Just feels like majority of the community there is more interested in optimising range/profits and being tryhards over making friends and just having fun.

This is not meant to be a rant. I've heard so many positive things about Legends, and was hoping to hear some feedback from the community here before making a decision for myself. I'm trying to find a server which is actually nostalgic, where PQs and party play are a thing, where there is an actual sense of progression in gameplay even in early-game (e.g. getting to 2nd and 3rd job being a legitimate accomplishment rather than a product of buying leech). Am I looking in the right place or na?

Any replies are greatly appreciated - I hope you all have a great week, and stay safe out there!

• Friendly Friendly x 6
  2. Xander

Xander Mushmom

Mar 29, 2016
    Male
    USA
    6:15 AM
    Xanderr
    Hermit
    Chroma
    You came to the right place. I just went down to hpq at level 80 some when I realized you can play it past lvl 20 or w/e. I meet new friends on the ship/trains all the time here and pq just because it's more fun to grind with other pixel people. Def come to legends :3 I used to be in a guild just based on quests. Quests have not been forgotten.

Oh yeah, and we got players from all over the world and with a little google translate you can meet some friends you may have never met in the real world.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    3:15 AM
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    It’s not much different from your own experience you’ve already had. Besides KPQ/LPQ it is pretty hard to do the other PQs but it is possible. Party play is only really a thing with bossing on this serve, but there are some maps where it’s viable to duo or trio like ToT with the recent buffs and 7F, but I myself am unsure how popular those training methods are.

There are tons of people here optimizing as well, but there’s also some people who don’t do that and I’m sure the server you’re coming from has something similar to that. Leeching is very common and very popular here so you won’t be escaping that. You can sort through a lot of journals here on the forums to get an idea for a lot of different ways people play the game.

I’m not sure how HP washing is here compared to the server you’re coming from as this is the only one I have personally ever played, but this server is tagged as HP washing optional because the staff is always coming up with creative ideas and solutions to make it so.

At the end of the day you make your own journey and you can set the value on your own accomplishments. If you want there to be value and a sense of progression you are free to deviate from the meta and do so of your own accord, but that’s no different on this server or anywhere else.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I think the main difference that sets Legends apart from other servers is the dedicated staff behind the scenes. You can tell they run a tight ship for the most parts.

As for the community aspect, you'll find whatever niche group you are looking for, but you have to actively search for it. It won't just fall into your lap.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Also a great time to start during the anniversary event starting in the next few weeks. Usually during event time a lot of new players join and actually play the earlier levels normally (PQs, grinding etc). You still should hp wash if you plan to play past lvl 180+ (around 6-12 months of constant gameplay).

6. HollyCrap

HollyCrap Capt. Latanica

Jul 2, 2017
    Male
    7:15 AM
    HollyCrap
    Cleric
    Played both, Legends seems like a real O.G. experience for me. The community is basically the same lol

7. Voxtagrams

Voxtagrams Headless Horseman

Jun 13, 2020
    Awkwardly raises hand

I-it did for me., Nipaah~

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Junaki

Junaki Stone Golem

Apr 1, 2015
    Male
    Northern New York
    Google, Piks, Arkin, JunakiG, Doss, Nezi
    Hero, Paladin, Dark Knight, I/L Arch Mage, Bishop, Bowmaster, Marksman, Night Lord, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    Galaxy
    I played royals for 3 years and legends for 6.. all I gotta say is there's a reason most of my time went to legends. Though, I do have to say.. got me royals was the first three years of release, a lot has changed since and that's why I chose not to go back there.
    Legends is just hands down the best. But I am biased. Join up and judge for yourself.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    Let's just say that the most vocal and experienced people here are the ones that hardcore minmax everything and have armies of mules to play optimally. These people also end up making the guides and answer newbie questions on forums/discord. So it can sometimes seem like there is nothing else on this server except a wasteland of washing characters, mages farming and selling leech, and mules.

All these are fake, ignore the minmaxers for now and play your own journey- there are plenty of guilds that are friendly and value community/interaction over achieving high damage or fastest boss times. Plenty of players also grind their own characters, do quests, party quests and so on. The key is to actually try to put yourself out there (as in any social situation) and join groups/make friends.

Like Shivering said, many people still do leech and tbh if it is very disturbing for you, I'd recommend just finding a different server altogether. There is no sugarcoating it- leech is a central part of this server's economy and culture. You will see a lot of megaphone messages about leech, either buying or selling. I'd recommend just completely ignoring this part of the game if you prefer- I personally never bought or sold a single meso of leech, and it doesnt disturb me what others do for their characters.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. eliyuh

eliyuh Mushmom

Apr 22, 2021
    Male
    You're basically going to see all of this here as well, but when comparing 2 prebb low rate servers, what can you expect? It's been ages since I played the server you're referring to so idk the sweat to casual ratio there rn; however, you'll definitely meet a lot of people that aren't sweats. I had no struggle finding people to PQ with in kpq, lpq, ppq, epq. I also didn't struggle much finding people to grind with in my 70s to my 100s. I did leech 110-120, though. Made friends and had fun along the way.

It's worth mentioning since you've probably seen it on GTOP, the "HP washing optional" is deceiving, read thru forums to see what that really means before you build your main/dps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Depends on the group you're in. There's a massive community of casual players who just do what they feel like, but most tend not to occupy the forums. So asking here is sort of just biased towards more sweaty answers.

It's possible to grind the entire game without leeching, but HP washing is still strongly recommended if you think you're the <1% of players who make it to PB, or moderately recommended for comfort in Horntail. You can tank just about anything in the game with as little as 120 int post third job, which I've noticed doesn't effect gameplay too much.

All of the leech smegas are really annoying though, and give the server a bad look. I sort of wish there was an alternative so it's not shoved in our faces so much.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    >Implying that optimising and being tryhards cannot be fun

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Creative Creative x 1
  13. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    I made a lvl 160 hero, did not buy leech, and rarely get free leech from friends.

You'll see people buying/selling leech, but u wont lose anything out if u don't do that. Infact it may be better for u on first char to self-grind due to the washing nature of this server (AP Reset can't be bought from others, only from your own vote cash)

Many here have SE/SI/HB mules, while I only have NLC and storage mules. Did it hinder my experience? Only for cwkpq, due to not having enough signs to start. Every other content that I went for are fine (rav/pap/krex/zak). Haven't went HT yet, but I'm sure I don't need mules there.

Due to the way I played it, I'm very attached to my hero, its not a throw-away for me.

I'm very lucky to have join an actual casual guild and alliance where we just chat, weekly zak and not worry about minmaxing.

As Alyosha said, there are all sorts of communities here, from sweatlords to casuals to beginners-only to islanders. Finding one will take time, but once u found your place, your time here will ve worthed it

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  14. Chrisss

Chrisss Horny Mushroom

Oct 21, 2020
    Male
    2102 Top Floor of Roppongi Mall
    ChrisBS
    Bishop
    Rogue
    I understand what you're going through and personally speaking from experience, Legends has a better and understanding community compared to Royals. In my opinion, Royals is a server where they try to play the game without playing the game at all. Here in MapleLegends people are open to a lot of opinions and after being here since October 2020, I can honestly say I'm enjoying myself here and experiencing different ways of playing the game. :D Hope to see you in game if there is a chance and Welcome to MapleLegends. :D

15. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    It's the only maple server I've ever played and I'm 100% a casual player - I have a bishop that's level 140 and a shadower that's 160 and I pretty much memed my way into bossing levels (I never expected to HT when I started tbh), I never really have trouble finding people to hang out with by chatting in guild or doing casual boss runs. Lots of people card hunt together and I leveled up by mostly PQ (except levels 115-120 which was terribly difficult lol). You are always welcome to dm me if you have any more questions about how this server works ^^ Most of the time I just hang out and do silly things like scroll HP hats or sometimes I like to torture myself by doing jump quests with my friends lool

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. OP
    OP
    benkrong

benkrong Blue Snail

May 5, 2021
    Male
    Thank you to everyone who's taken time to reply so far, all of your input has been very helpful. It seems like the original question has been covered pretty well, but feel free to share further if you'd like to!

Thanks for pointing this out. I apologise for the way the OP was worded; everyone should be entitled to enjoy the game according to their liking. I don't identify as a "hardcore" player, but I do respect the hustle and dedication that goes into it. To the optimisers - I hope this post didn't come off as offensive, and I apologise if it did.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
  17. yogurtseller

yogurtseller Mixed Golem

Nov 28, 2017
    wholesomeABG
    Shadower
    There’s a lot of parallels between Legends vs Royals, and if you’re looking for something completely different, you probably won’t find it here. The end game content seems to be similar, but the path getting there is a bit different.

I played Royals for about ~2 years up until 2017 or so, and I can totally relate to your comments on the culture there from 1-155. I myself gave up playing Royals in the middle of self leeching a 250 INT bowman at coolie zombies because it did not feel fun at all. I think the pressure to HP wash came from the abundance of AP Resets and it being tradable.

On Legends, I find that there’s less pressure to HP Wash with copious amounts of base INT. It’s encouraged to lightly wash here, but there’s no need to go overboard. Even as little as 100 base INT would do the trick if you build your character properly.

There is a pretty wide spectrum of casual and sweaty players in Legends. Few are extremely sweaty where they’re highly optimizing their gameplay by multiclienting boss runs and multi mage farming. I’d say most are casual players with a few endgame goals in mind and some basic mules to help achieve their goals quicker (e.g. HS mule, mage alts to farm on, HB mule).

Your experience will be what you make of it. If your style is more laid back and casual, there’s guilds that you can join for that.

I hope you try out the server because I think it’s pretty sweet and I’ve made a lot of friends here that I talk to outside of the game :)

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  18. cwong

cwong Horny Mushroom Retired Staff

Jan 10, 2020
    Male
    5:15 AM
    Drebin
    Shadower
    Spirit
    The community is quite diverse, especially with the spike in player count around March 2020 when COVID set in. Nowadays things have cooled down and settled. Part of what makes or breaks Legends for me is the community and friends I've made along the way. I initially started around late 2019 with the intention to get my "nostalgia" fix for a couple months and quit. However, I stuck around after getting to know some great people in the current guild alliance I am a part of. Ultimately it boils down to knowing what you want from the game and more often than not it will change as time goes on. I've seen casual players go on to become hardcore and vice versa. Some who have stood the test of time and others who played briefly for that quick hit of nostalgia. My advice would be to join up with a guild that represents your goals in game. One thing I have noticed with the community is how important the guilds are. Some are well known to do end game content and others (like the one I am a part of) are dedicated to casual play that can extend to gaming with friends outside of Legends. It is quite a treat to get to know the Staff members too as they are no different from a regular player and some play regularly. Feel free to jump between guilds as your interests evolve and I'm sure you will love the community. Hope to see you around in game!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  19. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    Playground alliance lesgo! FoxF2