1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shivering's 100m Challenge Round 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shivering, Jun 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    7:43 AM
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    By Shivering's request, this challenge has been closed along with the thread.

Challenge: Level from 1 to 30 in the fastest time. The character you create must have the IGN R3Cxxxx.

Prize Pool: 100m (1st place)
    Deadline for Submission: 07/31/2021

READ THE RULES BELOW CAREFULLY. INABILITY TO FOLLOW THE RULESET BELOW WILL LEAD TO YOUR ENTRY BEING DISCARDED.

Constraints:
    • No equip transfers. You are allowed to transfer 1M of mesos ONLY FOR potion/bows/stars and only after you leave maple island. You are not allowed to transfer 1M of potions; you are only allowed to transfer 1M mesos. You must buy the potions by travelling to a pot shop on your new character. For warriors and pirates you can also use these mesos to upgrade your weapon/armor if you want to do so; this is not allowed for thieves and mages. Any of the 1M you do not spend before you begin leveling outside of maple island, you must transfer back to your main account so you should pre-plan how you want to spend this 1M to make the most of it. You are not allowed to buy any potions or items in FM.
    • No GM Buffs.
    • You are expected to complete your 1st job advancement.
    • You cannot leech yourself. You cannot party anyone. This is a solo challenge.
    • Can not complete any quests; has to be a pure grind.
    • Constraints on map usage: No genins, no teddies, no bubblings, no demon slimes (we already know how to grind on the popular maps; the goal of this challenge is for you to get creative and create your own custom strategy)
    • You cannot use any NX, therefore create the character for the challenge on a new account and do not vote on that account (I will be able to see your vote streak because I will ask for it).
    Submission guidelines:
    • You are required to provide a full recording of your run. If you need help downloading recording software message Shivering#1176 or Slime#8653 (he has graciously volunteered his time).
    • You must submit the recording to my discord within 48 hours of hitting level 30. I will update this thread with each submission time and IGN.

I'm excited see what you guys come up with. Depending on participation level I may expand the prize pool to include a 2nd and 3rd place, but that's up in the air at the moment. Good luck!

FAQ

Why no quests?
    There are already several guides that exist that would make this challenge way too easy if you were allowed to do quests.

Can I access Coke Town?
    Yes.

• Like x 6
    • Great Work x 2
    • Creative x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
  2. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    5:43 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    Hey, just my two cents but 'no quests allowed' makes it way more boring and less fun,
    And this argument makes no sense, as transferring items from mules is against the rules anyway.
    Also please just have everyone record their submissions, it's super simple to set up a recording software and I'm willing to personally help anyone set up OBS, I'm sure many other people are willing to help too.
    (You can have them send the videos privately if you don't want them to spoil the strategies)
    Otherwise you have literally no way to tell how strictly they stuck to the rules.

Two more things I'll say that are more up to personal taste: I'd remove the rule where you can give 200k as having participants struggle for mesos just makes it more interesting, and I would lower the level a bit. Seeing as 30 takes a good couple hours even if you're fast, and ideally you want people to be able to attempt multiple times to refine their strategies.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    4:43 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Yeah I agree that you should make a full recording mandatory, although it might scare people away from doing the challenge

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    I'm pretty set on the quests bit as with quests I feel like it becomes a race for clickthrough especially since most of the higher level players who have made mules a few times are mostly well aware of existing meta-game for creating fast 1-30 characters.

My bad on the on the orbis/arwen's shoe quest. Initially I was going to allow quests, but I was making edits to my original post before I submitted so I accidentally left that bit in there after changing the rules to disallow transfers. I have removed it.

Based on the times of the submissions for 1-30, I may just increase the prize pool so that the effort is justified by the mesos given out. I'm hesitant to ask for a recording because I know putting in the effort to download obs/trying to find someone to help you set it up will definitely make some people not want to participate.

5. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Interesting, no quests means that maple island is all grinding, which probably nerfs mage/thief strategies, but those are probably the fastest classes from 20-30.

6. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    ShiveringShivering can we get your time first? You don't have to record it if you don't wanna fixate people on your strategy

7. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Haven't tried it yet. Probably will give it a go when I have some time.

8. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    11:43 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
  9. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Raised pot cost money from 200k to 1m which should cover all your pot costs from 8/10-30. Updated a few rules.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    4:43 PM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Buying stars at FM is allowed? cuz 200k gets steelies easily which is easy dmg boost.

Also, can't wait until someone sneakily uses onyx apples anyways cuz no recording required.

11. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    No, you can't buy anything from FM. You can buy attack pots from coke town if you wish though. I think it would be pretty easy for me to figure out if someone is using onyx apples to skirt the rules because you do have to submit your 1-30 level log at the end to me anyways and if something looks fishy in terms of time taken to level, I will go test it myself since recreating conditions is easy since you basically have no gear.

12. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    The reporting requirements for this challenge are ridiculous, and on top of that you can't even enforce half of your rules with your reporting requirments.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    GM buffs will definitely be a key strategy here.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    I don't think asking for 3 screenshots in your initial submission is ridiculous.

Edited post; no GM buffs.

Guys, this is simple. The spirit of the challenge is intended so anyone can participate. If you want to be that 1 person who tries their best to skirt the rules, I'm just going to disqualify your entry. Just make a new acc, then make a char, don't do any quests, you get 1M for pots, it's simple. The strategy element of this has to do with what class you choose and what maps you utilize to grind.

If you try to do something 500 IQ, top secret strats like "omg I found a 500 att potion that doesn't require quests through event abuse" that goes against the spirit of the challenge, then I'm not going to consider your entry.

15. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    10:43 AM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    I think you have way too much trust in the maple community. OnionXD

• Funny Funny x 4
  16. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    8:43 AM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    yay finally, the buy 1m in pots and grind boringly from 1 to 30 challenge..... SlimeSweat

edit: sorry that was rude I appreciate u Shivering :D

• Funny Funny x 8
  17. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I think it's fine to do things by honor code. It's only 100m (4 hours of ulu1). If you really wanted to scam him, just do it by rolling or something f3.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    For the record, I had zero intention of partaking in this challenge, but I did want to point out that people have different philosophies as to what 'spirit of the challenge' might mean. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would have thought to utilize GM buffs.

Anyways, I'm kind of disappointed with the new rules because I was curious as to what kind of out-of-party, pre-damaged map clearing shenanigans we'd be seeing. But I guess people are now restricted to just grinding on different/off-meta maps and optimizing travel time.

Nonetheless, glad you're hosting these challenges. Honestly, these are the types of community events/challenges that I'd want a newly established 'Community GM' role to be hosting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  19. OP
    OP
    Shivering

Shivering Wolfspider

Mar 9, 2018
    Shivering
    I/L Arch Mage
    Challenge is cancelled because I am poor now. Sorry guys.

EDIT: Just to clarify, the above comment is a joke in reference to the patch changes. The challenge is still on.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  20. Slime

Slime Pixel Artist Retired Staff

Apr 8, 2015
    Male
    Israel
    5:43 PM
    Slime / OmokTeacher
    Beginner
    Flow
    Where do you get that confidence that you'll be able to tell if people followed the rules just by looking at their level history?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.