1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Theorycrafting Shivering's 3rd 100m challenge

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jafel, Jun 8, 2021.

1. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    11:07 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    BRO STOP LEAKING ALL THE TRICKS I HAD PLANNED TO WIN THIS CHALLENGE

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Anyone participating in this definitely knows these
    [​IMG]

3. braidgame

braidgame Pac Pinky

Jun 21, 2015
    Pluto
    6:07 PM
    Outside
    Beginner
    Flow
    Oh I remember this cc trick!
    I think it would let Amherst to Southperry route much faster MapleF11

4. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    3:07 AM
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    What you're not accounting for is all the random people also doing the challenge, griefing your spawns when you cc the entire time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. OP
    OP
    Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Minor update to keep the thread going :)

Today I worked on average number of hits required to kill mobs. geospizageospiza suggested it and I was intrigued by how it worked. However, all my attempts were frustratingly off the larger the dmg range became. I now know what causes that problem but am not smart enough to fix it in the way I want it to. Instead, I'm using simulation and sampling with replacement to get (very very very) close to the true value. A simple example here would be comparing mage beginner stats vs rogue beginner stats.
    upload_2021-6-9_23-23-7.png

Here we can see that the strint mage does only marginally worse than the dex-rogue (and arguably better as it needs less lvls) and only a bit less succesful compared to the other builds. pure INT mages do lose out and need almost twice as many hits to kill snails compared to any other build. I think that settles the score for the INT mages who want to try this challenge. You're probably best off starting with at least some str.

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  6. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    3:07 AM
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Thanks for doing all the work for the group project OnionGlass

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Rip thread I guess

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. braidgame

braidgame Pac Pinky

Jun 21, 2015
    Pluto
    Outside
    Beginner
    Flow
    I think we should keep making this thread alive.
    I also want to know any optimal strategie or method on early leveling.MapleF2

Manage my thoughts and share with u guys in later days.:cash:

9. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Does this mean the challenge is off?
    Or is it closed for another reason

10. OP
    OP
    Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Shivering closed his thread and the challenge, but we would like to continue it in spirit. I will create a new thread for that.

Challenge: Level from 1 to 30 in the fastest time. The character you create must have the IGN R3Cxxxx.

Prize Pool: 100m (1st place)
    Deadline for Submission: 07/31/2021

READ THE RULES BELOW CAREFULLY. INABILITY TO FOLLOW THE RULESET BELOW WILL LEAD TO YOUR ENTRY BEING DISCARDED.

Constraints:
    • No equip transfers. You are allowed to transfer 1M of mesos ONLY FOR potion/bows/stars and only after you leave maple island. You are not allowed to transfer 1M of potions; you are only allowed to transfer 1M mesos. You must buy the potions by travelling to a pot shop on your new character. For warriors and pirates you can also use these mesos to upgrade your weapon/armor if you want to do so; this is not allowed for thieves and mages. Any of the 1M you do not spend before you begin leveling outside of maple island, you must transfer back to your main account so you should pre-plan how you want to spend this 1M to make the most of it. You are not allowed to buy any potions or items in FM.
    • No GM Buffs.
    • You are expected to complete your 1st job advancement.
    • You cannot leech yourself. You cannot party anyone. This is a solo challenge.
    • Can not complete any quests; has to be a pure grind.
    • Constraints on map usage: No genins, no teddies, no bubblings, no demon slimes (we already know how to grind on the popular maps; the goal of this challenge is for you to get creative and create your own custom strategy)
    • You cannot use any NX, therefore create the character for the challenge on a new account and do not vote on that account (I will be able to see your vote streak because I will ask for it).
    Submission guidelines:
    • You are required to provide a full recording of your run. If you need help downloading recording software message Shivering#1176 or Slime#8653 (he has graciously volunteered his time).
    • You must submit the recording to my discord within 48 hours of hitting level 30. I will update this thread with each submission time and IGN.

I'm excited see what you guys come up with. Depending on participation level I may expand the prize pool to include a 2nd and 3rd place, but that's up in the air at the moment. Good luck!

FAQ

Why no quests?
    There are already several guides that exist that would make this challenge way too easy if you were allowed to do quests.

Can I access Coke Town?
    Yes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Seeing as we're continuing the challenge: https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/continuing-shiverings-1-30-challenge.40612/

Let's get back to theorycrafting again!

I wanted to do a quick comparison of the two pirate options: SSK-pirate and gun-pirate. I've talked with several people about the potential of a gun-pirate to be surprisingly good as a sort of off-meta strategy.

(Lvl0-9 uses beginner sword, lvl10-19 uses gun or lvl10 sword, lvl20 uses lvl20 gun or fish spear). Unbuffed.
    upload_2021-6-15_19-22-55.png

Here we can see that the total average damage as a SSK user is much better than that of a double shot user. The individual datapoints are basically all possible stat distributions regarding str/dex. SSK hitting 6 mobs far outweighs it's lower attack speed, especially when looking at the lvl20 damage range increase.

I also noticed much larger discrepancy between the maximum and minimum damage. This is another reason why thieves (using lucky7) and mages would fare best in this challenge: their mastery is not dependent on a mastery skill.
    upload_2021-6-15_19-55-18.png

For gunslingers, I compared two extreme builds, both assume the use of cider, a fully +7 100% scrolled lvl20 gun in the lvl20-30 range with either least possible dex (35) for the lvl20 gun and rest in str or least possible str (20) for the lvl20 gun and rest in dex. A weird plot, with very selective information. I did think it would be interesting. What you can see here is that a full focus on DEX will never grant you any decent minimum damage, while a full focus on STR will never grant you any decent maximum damage. To put it in better perspective, I made both scales equal:
    upload_2021-6-15_19-21-46.png
    You can see that DEX scales maximum attack harder than STR scales minimum attack (which makes sense with the formula, but is always good to consider).

What does this mean for average hits you ask? Lets look at reasonable mobs to grind at.
    upload_2021-6-15_19-58-6.png

I filtered mobs with 20 wdef or lower. As gunslingers with their low dmg and two hits are affected heavily by wep def of mobs. You can see on the lower end of the scale that Ribbon Pigs are great, Id argue those would be amazing for lvl15-20. At lvl20+ You're probably looking at Octopus (200HP, great Exp/HP ratio, and low def), or at Glutton Ghoul, a bit more defense, but also similar Exp/HP ratio. And with the extra HP it has, maybe it's less overkill-sensitive.
    upload_2021-6-15_20-11-36.png

We can see that octopus mobs are very often 2-hit even at lvl20. Glutton ghoul needs a full extra hit. Octopus gives 24 Exp and Glutton Ghoul gives 37 Exp. As you're most likely not overkilling that badly with octopus, it could even be beneficial to stay at octopus (compared to glutton ghoul).
    upload_2021-6-15_20-17-45.png

Okay, so this argues in favor of glutton ghoul if you're constantly able to hit one compared to octopus. I'd argue for the strbuild that the difference is so small that the move is not worth it.

:) Soon more!

• Great Work Great Work x 3
  12. OP
    OP
    Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Cak33Cak33 will you send in your own attempt too? Or do you ride with FeeedFeeed

13. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    sadly no i wont be making an attempt, got my hands filled with my pally hahah