1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Remove or raise the category point caps

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by ahotbanana, Jun 14, 2021.

1. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    9:50 PM
    I really like the premise of the event rewards being capped. Having rewards be similar for hardcore and more casual players makes the event feel a lot more inclusive. The system implemented has quite a few flaws, though. It's the first time something like this has been implemented on the server, so it was bound to have some kinks.

I've mentioned the three major problems I have with it in another thread, so a lot of what I'm saying here is simply restating what I said there, but I do feel a separate thread for a separate suggestion is kind of necessary. I'm only really trying to address one of the problems here: the different categories for obtaining points are needlessly restrictive, especially to players in certain level ranges.

I'm actually curious to know what the reasoning behind having each category capped at 250 was. I assume it was to encourage players into content they don't usually do. The problem is that there's a difference between encouraging players to do content they wouldn't normally do and straight up railroading them into it. If I can get actual feedback from staff on what was trying to be achieved, I might be able to give more constructive criticism.

I'll use my own experience as an example here. I am currently making a NL. I don't want to PQ. At all. It just isn't fun to me. This means that I can earn points from farming and from event specific quests. Farming will give me 250 points once I get to the cap, 300 if I find someone a similar level to me to grind with, which is hard since all of my friends are 4th job and I wouldn't ask them to play with a level 51 character. This leaves me with quest points only. The JQ is an easy enough 75 points, so that brings our total to 325. Doing PBPQ every day would earn 70 more points, bringing us to 395. This leaves 105 points that can only be earned by doing content I really don't want to do, or from puff daddy, which is unreliable and means I need to be online when it happens to be summoned. As it stands, I've pretty much had to accept that despite playing much more than a lot of people who are already at the 500 point cap, I'm simply not going to reach it.

I can see people saying "suck it up and PQ" and I could kind of get their point, but people between level 100 and 120ish can't PQ or boss so are essentially forced into this boat with me. What about them?

The solution is simple. Remove the category caps, or at least increase them to ~400, so that you can get the vast majority of your points from what you want. Keep the overall cap at 500, but allow people to earn the points by playing the game how they want to play it.

If you still want to encourage players into some content over others, that's fine, but the way to do it is to make the point gain faster in whatever you want to encourage, not to make it strictly necessary in order to get to the point cap.

• Agree Agree x 14
  2. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    1:50 PM
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I think the reasoning was probably that it's hard for a small design team to consider all the possible broken degenerate farming methods, while also designing a fun overall event that's balanced across all the coin farm methods. I'd assume the 250 cap is just so if any strats become too degenerate, it's capped anyways so there's less concern. In previous events, they'd nerf certain strategies only after finding out a weeks later when the sweaties have already taken advantage of it.

They recently made the early bosses (cpt latanica, rav, and pap more worthwhile) and increased the ease of grinding for points, so hopefully the lvl 100-120 crowd has it easier.

I think continual small tweaks is good, but I don't think uncapping certain categories is a good idea. It's way too easy to get points via bossing, and you don't want want HPQ degeneracy to get even worse for mules.

Keep in mind that the cap is just the maximum, and not everyone needs to meet that. I certainly am not, because I don't want to PQ, but that's my choice.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    Ok, but there's still an overall cap of 500. If it's feasible, without being sweaty, to get to that 500 cap, then what does it matter if people find degen strats to get there in a single day? I don't see how having the categories capped really helps with that, especially since you've identified that both bossing and HPQ, which exist in separate categories, are heavily exploitable. Making sweaties do two exploits instead of one isn't really a solution to anything.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Well HPQ is an exploit for multiple low level characters, and bossing is for single high level characters. You wouldn't necessarily HPQ on a lvl 155+ character. Also if you just had a 500 point cap, you could reach that bossing 2x NT/krex/zak/JC/scarga in like 4 hours with 30-man teams. That just skews it more in favor of high levels.

5. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    It matters because the 500 overall cap can be worked around via alts and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    But people ARE getting to 500 in a day, regardless, so clearly this isn't working as a solution.

Even if it was preventing people from getting to 500 in a day, if the 500 cap can be worked around with alts, so can the 250 cap. Sure, if it requires high levels to abuse, that will theoretically halve the number of points exploited, but HPQ doesn't require high levels at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    The problem is the bosses are afk-able and you can do all your mules at once. Scarga/krex/NT all have near safe-spots. HPQ would take 50x runs and is max 6 people on a heavily contested pq. The 250 cap ensures that you must spend at least some individual effort on each alt to reach the cap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    6:50 AM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    The needless caps are the WORST thing about this event, it's shocking how much better the event would be without them

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Kenjino

Kenjino Slime

Aug 23, 2020
    4:50 AM
    so far this event is quite decent but instead of Pbpq or killing the cake, maybe can do it something similar to summer event where people afk for 2mins30sec just to collect the pearls when the tree is grown. then use the pearls for raffles which benefit everyone and have a fair chance of getting something for the event even if they dislike training or bossing. this way at least the people have some options, rather than stick it to them. One which You use the pearls for raffles. Two, for those who put in extra effort eg grinding bossing they will have a chance to earn "something" and maybe use it for extra spin of raffles something that give them a edge against those people that put little to no effort for the event.

10. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    4:50 PM
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    I feel like we've just exchanged "people feeling stressed about not being able to farm a lot of points" with "people feeling stressed about not being able to reach the 500 point cap". My opinion is that the latter is more effective in making people stressed, because the amount that's "a lot" has been quantified and standardized. It's like finding out about a buy-2-get-1-free sale at the cash register when you weren't planning on spending more money, but now feel obligated to spend more. On top of that, you have direct and personal comparisons to something with the same point value but is worse: "I just got 250 points from 2 hours of fun bossing, now I feel like I have to spend 4 grueling hours HPQing or farming coins to get another 250". So I think raising the category point caps would alleviate this second issue.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Why not instead just put a cap on the number of items able to be purchased through the exchange? I can only really see raffles and APRs falling under the category of items that might require balance, while all the others should be open for free farming. Putting a cap on the entire event creates unintentional problems like Jess mentions above. If the goal was to limit abuse from excessive mule farming, putting the cap on the items themselves could be a more direct solution.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    4:50 AM
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Such cap exist so people will get hog the HPQ chn for 250 points, then they have to either PBPQ or JQ on their mules.
    It is currently already so disgusting at HPQ chn with 250 PQ points, can you imagine the shitfest at henesey park it will be if it is 500 PQ points.

In any case, the cap should be even lower with more categories like the spring event last year with the +-20 levels book hunting, musical notes and cake hunting.
    I think a suitable guideline should be, it should be ok to do for 2-3 character, but not for 10 raffle mules that is happening in HPQ right now.

13. OP
    OP
    ahotbanana

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    That isn't a problem, though. If people want to get all their points from HPQ, let them. That's how they want to play the game.

If it's easy to get to 500 without optimising your point gain, which it would be without the category caps because people would just get there naturally from normal play, then someone getting 500 points in a day isn't actually any better off than someone getting 500 points gradually over a week.

14. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Why does it matter how people play? The main issue is excessive event farming that can be turned into in-game valuables. If someone wants to farm 3-4 ring of melodies with upgrades and 20 maple weapons, why stop them? It's already been shown that farming points is pretty difficult all around (outside of maybe a few bosses), but the time investment should still be somewhat worthwhile as long as it's not completely broken.

Farming 300 AP resets was broken. Farming 300 raffles was broken. Put limits on those, not the points you're allowed to farm.
    This system feels needlessly convoluted.

Edit: Whoops I meant to quote Yurine not you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    I can't disagree more. Did you try running HPQ on 10 mules before forming this opinion?

I have nothing to gain from supporting HPQ sweat. After 2 hours of it I vowed to never do it again. I'm just tired of this move towards punishing people for wanting to do extremely tedious and boring activities, for minimal rewards. Especially when it's obvious that the people disavowing it have never tried it for themselves; I could be wrong but I think anyone who has actually tried it would not think it's broken.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    To be fair, you are not getting 250 points, but 250*10 or 2500 points (assuming 10 mules and each mule gets 5 points). I can't get behind calling it minimal rewards.

17. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    mb I agree

18. randomhs

randomhs Timer

May 25, 2020
    randomHS
    Oyasumi
    As someone who has maxed out PQ points on HPQ alone, I can attest to the sheer boredom and drudge. On paper it sounded relatively simple to complete 50 hpqs that take ~3 minutes each, but the constant battle and attention that hpq requires is understated.

Since bossing pts are relatively easy to accumulate throughout the week, I'm forced to either grind HPQ or farm for points in a game that discourages farming for the rest. Not fun. And don't even get me started on the RNG jump quest that induces more rage than enjoyment.

I would very much prefer if my options weren't limited and my gameplay forced. If I could, I would get all my points from bossing and NOT be forced to play in a way I do not enjoy.

In regards to people farming HPQ on mules, I'm sure they'll be farming there whether the limit is 50 or 500, as long as it isn't nerfed and remains the most efficient way to farm points. The difference between a 500 limit and a 250 limit is just 6 extra mules being made in under 10 minutes each. However, with no limit, some players may find themselves not being forced to get their points from PQs and alleviate the competition in HPQ.

19. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    wait i'm confused why people say they are "forced" into this HPQ gameplay. You can do GPQ/NTPQ, puff daddy/PBPQ/JQ and grind. You just mean, it's extremely tedious to grind on 0 investment mules, which is as intended.

With the new grinding points being easier, it's like one of the past typical events except this time they make half the points you get essentially free (from bossing).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    11:50 PM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    I do agree with whatdatoastwhatdatoast that this event encourages multiple ways to play the game that every other event doesn't do in comparison where grinding was usually the only or main avenue and other activities were more or less a generous gesture for those who didn't grind much. Perhaps the cap being at 250 may feel restrictive in a sense, or awkward at specific level ranges i.e 100-125 (which got a buff with Capt latanica, ravana, pap and farming receiving buffs), however this is the first time such system is being imposed and I personally am enjoying it as I don't feel too stressed in capping my points or grinding for many hours at HHG2/BL5 farming points to cash em in for AP resets or raffles. Maybe my approach is casual, but I feel like that is the point of the event, for it to be something nice to do without burning you out, unless you choose to max out on multiple characters then that is on you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1