1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on balance changes to sweeping.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dimez, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Blache

Blache Brown Teddy

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    4:34 PM
    Cleric
    In terms of raw meso, yes, that does appear to be quite a lot. But when framed as a function of time investment, it paints a different picture. Let's say the server was to agree to a maximum meso generation rate of 10m/hr. Sounds okay at first, right? Now reference that rate in comparison to the cost of big-ticket items. Does ~17 hours (!) of farming per WS seem like a reasonable proposition to you? Maybe others have that kind of time to invest, but I think that standard is a bit absurd. I suppose we could always meet in the middle at 20m.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    3:34 PM
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    My comment is probably way off the mark of the main topic of this thread, as my issue is more with the cluttering and bugging of pets. I would prefer if I am unable to loot the mesos that I cannot see them (similar to quest items) because they legit cover my entire screen and I can't find equip drops and my pet is lost in the sauce.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    3:34 AM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    why not nerf ultimates?
    any mobs killed buy ultimatrs receives -50% meso & drop rate

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  4. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    This isnt fair to non-sweaty mages. Imagine farming 4 hrs at cwk for badges to get a subani ankh

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    4:34 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Or we could not base it off RAW mesos, but factor in player-to-player mesos too, which would bring up the hourly income higher.

Also, important to re-visit the assumption that WS prices would hold at 170mil. If people were making 30 mil raw mesos, that would 100% trigger inflation, since it's more than 3x the raw mesos being generated from stuff like Ulu 2 & Skeles. There's nothing that would prevent WS prices to go to 510 mil if that were the case.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Blache

Blache Brown Teddy

Jan 12, 2020
    Male
    4:34 PM
    Cleric
    It's difficult—we're essentially just speculating at the moment. Discussions that exist solely in the realm of subjectivity aren't going to get us anywhere. What we need are data of some kind. I think jesscapadesjesscapades basket suggestion would be a great start.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. skim0686

skim0686 Mushmom

Mar 21, 2021
    This seems like a better fix than only allowing the killer to loot mesos. What allows these degenerate 2-channel $40m/hr strategies to exist is the fact that a lvl 100+ hermit or nl with hp pumped up can just flash jump between casts, covering abnormally large distances while the pet loots every last drop. It's physically impossible for a farmer to manually loot every drop AND farm two maps simultaneously so this would basically end multichannel farming, the biggest reason for the sudden influx of raw mesos into the economy.

• Like Like x 3
  8. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    wrong. 2hit skeles set the price ceiling for 5-6 HAHAHA

9. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    they can use bigbang to get same meso per hour as warriors heroes :D

10. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    12:34 PM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Speaking for myself and not a representation of all staff members

Although this is a popular conception I would like to address this (even tho I am not a member of balance team), I would like to add that although the "quad mage ulu 1" strategy was definitely the most "public" version of this strategy, it was not the only map where this strategy was utilized. There were many other mages who appeared to begin utilizing these strategies in many lesser known maps in various ways that were much more incognito and lowkey about it and in other various ways too. I think nerfing maps would just result in a whack-a-mole strategy where the strategy would just move onto a different map after we nerfed another one.

Seeing so many mages pop up on so many different maps really drove home that this wasn't really an issue about "lowering spawn" or "editing the map". One of the most efficient multi-mage farmers I saw used this strategy in a map with relatively low spawn (~12 mobs) and still managed to get millions and millions of mesos an hour due to their rotation. So I just wanted to add that yes although nerfing one map would help with nerfing ulu1 specifically it wouldn't really change anything in the long run because there are just many more maps that this strategy can be efficiently utilized on.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Cabernet

Cabernet Slime

Aug 30, 2020
    Male
    Cabernet
    I/L Wizard
    Ohh I see but isnt that the fun part of the game tho? Finding different ways to earn mesos? I mean farming is definitely not and easy task I mean slaving away hours on map is tiring that’s why not everyone is doing it. But by disabling this function its quite unfair for the people to actually spend a lot of time farming. I mean everyone can do this in the first place right they just choose not to because they can’t stand farming and I think sweeping is part of the game itself. Thats why as an NL I wasnt salty on the fact that they fixed the Shadow Stars cause I know thats how the game should be played in the first place. Just a thought..

12. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Not everyone is doing it currently, but there's nothing that stops it becoming a norm down the line... If we look at a rival server, they've had the multimage meta for a couple of years now. Since they weren't able to nip it in the bud, they had players doing HEXA mage at Ulu 1 (or less mages but on different maps). All while using yet another mage to farm in another map like cornian/harps/voodoos. It's been a rampant issue there it seems, as it's become such a norm/staple meso making method.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    I 100% agree with this - it's super annoying to figure out which mesos belong to which character, not to mention your pets start to get distracted. I personally don't hate the sweeper change, but this particular mechanic has caused me a lot of annoyance.

I still think it's an awkward, "custom-feeling" mechanic and I don't know why something more straightforward (reduce meso rate on mage ults, for example) wasn't done if the issue was the disparity between mage-based players and solo players that rely on their attacker to farm.

My opinion is that this sort of phenomenon (excessive farming) is better approached from the view "why are players doing this?" rather than "how can we stop players from doing this". I think a nerf on making something harder without tackling the core issue of why it's happening simply encourages (as you have experienced) players circumventing your rules. Farming, due to its repetitive nature, lends itself to obscene levels of optimization compared to other routes of progressing through the game.

It's not hard to see that nearly everything of value (EXP, mesos, Gachapon-related items, scroll drops) originate from killing mobs. This was the case in OG Maplestory, and this is (to reasons unknown to me) exacerbated in Legends by the custom feature that allows Gachapon (the source of the server's most valuable items) to drop from mobs. If your average Joe had better options of getting items of value (bosses, quests, badges, etc.) without needing to go spam Brandish on some Skeles in a world where 15 mages are nuking the entire universe, then the original problem (general inflation) wouldn't be such a problem anymore as the only people that would be getting their livelihoods hurt would be the very people creating the excess in mesos.

• Agree Agree x 6
  14. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    To be fair, this has pretty much been the trend of almost all balance patches for the past 2 years. Players innovate new strategy / meta -> balance patch nerfs it, and the cycle repeats. At this point I think it is kind of inevitable, and as much as players hate these nerfs, sometimes they need to be done for the health of the server in the long run.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Dershivo

Dershivo Red Snail

Jun 20, 2019
    Male
    Arrow
    Bowmaster
    Beaters
    In my opinion, allowing manual looting would be a good middle ground to solving multi-map farming. At some point it would become unmanageable.

16. Nise

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Two points I'd raise:
    • Leechers (the ones that seem to be quite vocal on this thread) would still be pretty cucked, as moving + manually looting on one char & moving + leeching on another char, sounds like it would impede EPM. In which case, it might be similar to manually looting with your mage.
    • Multimage farming (like Ulu 1) doesn't really have much movement for the mages themselves. So moving around a sweeper in the 10 second respawn cycle and manually looting, seems like it wouldn't be that difficult.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    Disable multiclienting?

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  18. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    5:34 AM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I think a limit of 3 clients at once is more reasonable, as it would give people the ability to:
    - self leech with 1-2 mules,
    - bring in 2 additional signs for CWK (which is often needed) & fill in specific needed slots for other PQs (LPQ, MPQ, OPQ etc)
    - have an account in FM for casual chat, with 1 being actively played elsewhere

As well as stopping:
    - the 3-4 mage + MU + sweeper mules strat, &
    - 1 person from camping all 8 timers/channels of a boss map at once

I understand a complete ban on multi-clienting has been tried in the past & since reverted, but a slight tweak to that idea could be tried out.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Dershivo

Dershivo Red Snail

Jun 20, 2019
    Male
    Arrow
    Bowmaster
    Beaters
    1. Still better than not being able to loot any mesos at all? It's going to be difficult to do for sure, I don't doubt that, but it gives leechers the option.
    2. Yes, but it will likely limit multi-mage farming to 1 map. I'd imagine it'd be farely difficult to farm 2 maps of ulu1 and sweep all at the same time.

I guess the whole idea is to increase the difficulty of sweeping, but not eliminating entirely. By automating less, it'd be more difficult to scale up.

• Agree Agree x 6
  20. Jaynus

Jaynus Timer

Mar 19, 2020
    Male
    5:34 AM
    Dralith
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    Then it'll become pay2win. I'll get 5 small and cheap laptops, hook them up to monitors and engage in toe gameplay.

• Funny Funny x 3