1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on balance changes to sweeping.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dimez, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Oradious

Oradious Mr. Anchor

Aug 28, 2018
    Male
    5:04 AM
    Oradious
    F/P Arch Mage, Gunslinger, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    What about prosthetic limbs?

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    [​IMG]

3. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    3:04 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    [​IMG]
    ILLUMINATI.png

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 18
    • Informative x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Creative x 1
  4. Ferluci

Ferluci Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 27, 2017
    Male
    11:04 PM
    Ferluci
    Bishop
    Personal opinion.

This sweeping change is a buff to washing. I don't need to buy a pet and pet equipment anymore every 3 months. I can spend the NX on washing my BM.
    I made the mistake of creating my BM and MU mule on same account 4Head

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  5. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Oh I thought the 1 minute meso timer was a joke... How are chief bandits supposed to use meso explosion when you only have 1 minute?

6. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    2:04 PM
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    carpal tunnel speedrun

• Funny Funny x 8
  7. DrChuchu

DrChuchu Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Sep 21, 2020
    Male
    5:04 PM
    DrPikachu
    Night Lord
    I actually really like the one minute meso timer solution. Since the timing is tighter, it shouldn't affect any active looting or party play for mesos too much. Meanwhile, sweepers would need to be much more active in order to keep up with raw meso generation. But what I really like about it is ease of balance (assuming the changes are simple). If 1 min proves to be too tight, it can be changed to 1min 30s or 2min. However, I want to put it out there that a 1 minute meso timer would not deter me from going to farm mesos at ulu1, so I sorta dislike it because I feel I can abuse it still (therefore others as well). In theory, multi-mage ulu1 looks easy to execute. However, it still took some focus/practice to maintain positions, cast correctly, flip between clients, and rebuffing, apart from already making a bunch of mages. But with this change, instead of sitting there idle for ~1min (only casting mage ults), I would just be constantly sweeping. I guess the question in this case would be, "is this appropriate gameplay?" or "is this meso compensation appropriate for the work put in?" This change basically promotes active meso looting.

Other suggestions I thought about:
    -Non-killer must be mapowner level to loot mesos. Deters low investment sweepers
    -Only players actively killing mobs can loot mesos. Doesn't impact party play and would force sweepers to actually kill things (good luck when the map is already razed with ultis/you're a weak washedlord with no equips). Akin to party points for coin drops during this event.
    -Reduced meso pickups from sweepers that don't satisfy above conditions. Directly nerfs meso generation if you didn't pick them up yourself. However mesos are only half the battle, as NPC-able equips are a thing.

I tried to keep in mind that these are all balanceable as well. For example, defining "actively killing" as 1 mob in the last 5 sec, or 10 sec, etc. Or reducing meso pickups by 50%, or 75%, etc. Obviously with any gameplay changes, people are going to have strong/kneejerk reactions. I think the change is helpful, but yeah the QoL feels lacking as mentioned.

• Creative Creative x 4
  8. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I have feeling these changes are gunna be "rich get richer" type changes. A lot of the sweatiest farmers already have a 155+ NL/sed mules. Actively killing, isn't a strong requirement, because you can just macro an attack before you sweep. If you make it any harsher, then actual playstyles are going to be hurt (f/p mist finishers, priests that are HS/heal mules for roar). The event party point system currently only require you to attack once in the last short time period (not kill).

9. Almighty404

Almighty404 Red Snail

Jul 31, 2017
    Female
    7:04 AM
    Here's my idea: Tax

How about, Mesos that are picked up by party members are heavily taxed, say 80%.

Fight me.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. DrChuchu

DrChuchu Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Sep 21, 2020
    Male
    DrPikachu
    Night Lord
    I don't understand what you're getting at. Harsher compared to what? Perhaps I wasn't clear that I was indicating doing away with the current system, because the playstyles you mentioned are currently hurt (finishers and healbot priests currently cannot loot mesos), literally cannot be any harsher except outright just banning meso drops. What I am suggesting is that we can rework this change to be more inclusive of different party strategies, rather than a ban of all non-killer meso looting. I actually did not know that you only need to attack a mob for party points, thought that party member needed active kills. Regardless, these are suggestions that can be balanced. The balance team can define what conditions (implementation limit here maybe) in which mesos can be looted, whether attacking, killing, certain time frame, non pet, etc.

On the "rich get richer" part. Players should be rewarded for the work they put into this game. I think the nerfs were necessary because quad mage ulu1 is relatively low investment, fairly easy to implement, and has a high return on mesos overall (along with the potential inflation due to pure meso generation). Also sweeper/MU mules being in the same basket. But the fact still stands that in this grindy game that the ones with more time spent and more mesos spent will be able to generate more mesos, whether that be through leech, bossing, or whatever. Your 5-6f duo mage seller should be making more mesos than level 120 bishops selling low level leech. A high level attacker with end game gear makes more money running 6man HT (because they can clear it) rather than weaker attackers that can only run 12mans.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    i juz wanna drop 50k mesos to noobs just like the ol days, the OG days, the way it was intended

All my chars are in an account and i had to transfer 200k to my other char the other way but it was far away from town, i dropped it at my usual FM room and to my horror i could not loot my 200k on my other char, i thought i was bugged and i was so scared i was shook, please reimburse me my 200k i am in debt

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly either. My first point was that a lot of the sweatiest farmers already have the necessary resources to work around the restrictions of 1) high level looter and 2) can kill mobs on their strong NL/shads. I think one of the main problems when new degenerate strategies arise is that the rich already have the resources or characters to execute immediately. By the time, even a dedicated player can "catch up", the strategy is already nerfed (taunt mule, HH mule, duo mage 5-6, quad mage ulu1, etc). So I would rather not relax the current rule to allow for the established players to benefit before it gets nerfed again (presumably). Also, I disagree that quad mage is "low investment", as leveling and funding 4x lvl 130 f/p mages is still more expensive than any degenerate strategies of the past.

My second point is that there are a lot of non-mages that would be hurt by <3 min loot timer. Maybe the examples I gave weren't the best. But there are a lot of large maps where the rotation takes longer than 1 minute. And you often only loot when you walk over the previous round's drops. For example when I grind on my BM at ToT or eruwaters, I can't feasibly walk to all my ranged kills because of the low mobility. If you only consider linear small maps like 7F, then yeah, your proposed change wouldn't affect active killing parties.

13. Jolly_Walker

Jolly_Walker Chronos

Jul 25, 2017
    Male
    JollyWalker
    I/L Arch Mage
    Here is an outlandish proposal, the more multiclients in a map the lower the drop rate of meso bags and equips. But then there would still be workarounds like leaving mules in other maps/fm or multi channel farming.

The relation between # of clients and the drop rate could be linear, or maybe something like an inverse logistic function.

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    Its a low investment, naked 13x fp 1hits ulu2 naked, just with a wand of cos. Coupling cheap leech prices, definitely cheap overall.

15. Jaynus

Jaynus Timer

Mar 19, 2020
    Male
    7:04 AM
    Dralith
    Beginner, Camper, Islander
    600m mesos and about 1billion brain cells for 4 mages definitely isn't cheap. And that's not counting 120-130

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Loug

Loug Horny Mushroom

Apr 21, 2020
    Male
    6:04 PM
    Loug
    Paladin, Bishop, Marksman, Buccaneer, Corsair
    If I remember correctly they also had a 40 sec cooldown on ult and during the cooldown you could spam big bang, I kinda liked those days.

17. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    I suggest using a *0.75 on meso drop, thats what mostly aligns with my data samples.

A better formula to use is to EPH for 5 minutes (so you waste time on looting too 2 times) and average out the EPH over the mob exp in the map (if there are multiple either grab the avg or the median depending on number of mobs)

Use that to define how many mobs are "supposedly" being killed and use the formula again, I'd expect something like

( @epm5 / AVG(mobs) ) * 0.75
    Or use MEDIAN(mobs) but here you'll have to list all the many mobs in a map (harder with gobies i.e.)

18. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Where do I opt out of these updates

• Funny Funny x 6
  19. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    Disclaimer: didn't have ECON class in my highschool, lost hundreds (USD) in stock market, and passed a college level microecon AND accounting last term.

I originally thought the sweeper nerf was a creative way to decrease inflation. I've changed my mind after reading this thread. I won't try to garble out my thought process since others have already expressed well.

What I do want to mention is that the goal should not be to deflate economy, but to let it inflate at a more reasonable level. I do think that ML's market is inflated and I do believe an attempt to lessen that is good, but some degree of inflation is actually healthy for the market AND is inevitable in my personal opinion. For that reason, I appreciated some suggestions in this thread that were not related to sweepers or decreasing raw meso generations. Such example suggestions include increasing meso sink or stimulating bossing population. They promote market circulation rather than directly nerfing some aspect of economy, which would help the market to stabilize in a more natural manner.

That being said, the best course of action the staffs can take would be to hire a professional economist and a data scientist and have them figure this out within the next 6 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  20. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    JafelJafel they need a data scientist, go!

• Funny Funny x 3