1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on balance changes to sweeping.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dimez, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    8:16 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    But this change is intended to scale back inflation to a reasonable level :think:

People still generate mesos, we just reduced the rate at which people can generate/collect mesos. Not being able to pick up party mesos doesn't mean the existing circulating mesos leave the market (meso sink).

2. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    7:16 AM
    DMsRebirth
    Just make a system that lets you trade raw meso for extra HP/MP and all the meso in the game will sink faster than your mother on Jupiter

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  3. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    I don't doubt it, which is why I originally supported the idea. Furthermore, I will clarify that I meant "don't aim for deflation, aim for more controlled inflation" in general, to both people giving feedback on this thread and staffs. It was not specifically targeted towards the sweeper change.

The sweeper change was a good attempt, but it does have pretty big flaws that I can't look past. It affects more population than what seems intended, and has clunky QoL issues. If those problems can be addressed, I would support it again.

I should also note that I didn't think much when I said meso sink would stimulate the market, when in reality it just helps against rapid meso generation.

Now I'm not an expert in either Maple or economics, so I don't have a great suggestion. All I came up with was something similar to a government loan, which would be a meso sink (by means of interest) and a stimulus to the market, but also unrealistic and too custom.

In summary, I think it would be healthier to come up with ways that somehow encourage users to trade certain items or do specific tasks (which then would cause consumption of materials needed to complete such action). My reasonings solely lie on the fact that I'm a monkey who read "economic policies that limit free market = bad" on a textbook.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Almighty404

Almighty404 Red Snail

Jul 31, 2017
    Female
    9:16 PM
    Observing the actions that other video games do / have done to create healthier gameplay, not only in their respective economies, but other areas as well, is a great incentive. Why have innovative ideas when you can just steal them?

Here are two that I've found that tackle economic issues:

- A famous WoW PS has implemented a 'Gold Squish' mechanic that literally halves everyone's gold each year. Whether that gold is in storage or in an inventory, it doesn't matter. Gold is WoW's currency.

- GW2 allows players to convert their in-game currency to premium currency at will. You can also purchase their premium currency with real world cash.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    4:16 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    I don't see any issue with making it so that players, but not pets, can loot party mesos. The current situation feels really bad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  6. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    7:16 PM
    Uncontrolled free market is equally bad too. Says another textbook.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. lv1crook

lv1crook Capt. Latanica

Jan 19, 2021
    Male
    4:16 AM
    Level1Crook
    Corsair
    Flow
    At the very least, I hope they can implement some way to make it less invasive for lower level players.. It’s really annoying for everyone. Maybe if the monster was killed by someone below level 120 (and thus not by a mage ult) then the party can still loot the mesos.

8. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    1:16 PM
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    To be fair, capping ultis income by 50% was the best argument I've heard in this entire thread.

Yes sure, you can re-enable sweepers to loot meso and all. but the problems gets fixed by just capping ultis drop rate and meso rate by 50% (just like event drop rate with ultis against other skills)

Does it fuck over the sweaty mage players? Yes
    Does it fuck over the new players making a mage to make meso™? Yes
    Does it fix the problem of absurd meso incomes from farming meta maps? Yes

Is it fun for the players that just play the game for fun? No, but they still do full dmg from ultis.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  9. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    Can you source this textbook or explain your claim more?

If you’re talking about market failure in microeconomics, then yes, it is highly agreed upon that policy intervention is needed because free markets lead to actions that can literally kill people; examples include excessive pollution and $500 insulin shots. However IMO, this is extremely irrelevant to ML.

Don’t get me wrong, I wholeheartedly support intervention policies IRL. But I see no reason why they should be implemented in any video game. Potentially dying because you can’t afford insulin is wildly different from not being able to afford a 14 att glove. And we all have equal opportunity to invest in each meso-making method in order to get a 14 att glove. On a larger scale, no one is going to actually suffer from wealth inequality. If you don’t have the time to make multiple mages and farm mesos for white scrolls, you’ll lose out on like, 1m dpm? Not the end of the world. And personally, if we didn’t have wealth inequality in this game, I wouldn’t want to play it; why play a game where you get penalized for playing it more?

Now, if you’re talking about textbook macroeconomics, then yes what you’re describing is essentially the Keynes vs Hayek debate. Keynes advocated for government intervention during the 1930s depression and Hayek advised to leave the markets alone. I don’t think this is at all relevant because their arguments hinged being in a financial crisis, and I don’t think we were in a financial crisis; by definition, a depression/recession is when an unusually high amount of people become “unemployed”. If we’re adapting this to ML, I’d say it would being unemployed = unable to make meso or unvoluntarily making less mesos than before. This clearly was not a problem before the sweeper change, so using these theories is irrelevant.

TL;DR:

Overall, there’s a lot of abstraction between textbook economics and ML economics. Doesn’t mean they’re unrelated though, and IMO game economics is closer to textbook economics than IRL is. You just need to take caution before applying the textbooks because almost every economic model has very strong assumptions, and if those assumptions aren’t reasonable then the whole thing crumbles.

Sorry for the super long rambly post. I’ll probably revise it and trim it down later when I have time.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    I don't own any MU or sweeper mule. Just feels a huge drop in quality of gameplay when your screen is filled with meso that you can't loot. They visually block the lootable items, mind fk your pets and you have to spam much more to pick up the non-mesos. The amount of players being fked over because if of the looting change is just way too much for the intented purpose.

The overall intention of reducing the gap between non-mage and mage farming is a good intention. But it might be better to have a + and - at the sametime to achieve the same objective. If not it just going to be depression as fk to read nerf after nerf after nerf, even if it doesn't affects me. This whole patch note just reads all people getting fked from all sides.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. goering

goering Slime

Aug 5, 2020
    goering
    Beginner
    I'm just glad mages are getting kicked in the balls :)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  12. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    card hunting rates gets nerfed too iirc

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. SwordnBoard

SwordnBoard Selkie Jr.

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    12:16 PM
    SwordnBoard
    Paladin
    TeaDrinkers
    Then all you would need to do is use skill OTHER than ulitimate for farming cards, not that much of a sacrifice really given mages have multiple AoE spells.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    I don't play mage, so take my opinion/idea with a grain of salt.

If u use OTHER skills for to card hunt, how about using OTHER skills to efficiently generate mesos?

Ultimate nerfs card drop rate and its been accepted. Can we do the same for mesos? In exchange to be able to loot other's mesos again

15. philip

philip Mixed Golem

Dec 11, 2018
    Male
    Denmark
    Ziggs, Annie, Aphelios
    F/P Wizard
    Pasta & Funk
    dude try to go to 5-6F its so dead and keep in mind this is during the most anticipated event of the year, there are a few sellers that is true, but not in the same way as before

16. Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    6:16 AM
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    Just delete mages,
    Imagine having a class based around spells to end up using ultimates after 4th job, with the exception of bishop.

Add Cooldown to Ultimates, ez, no more spam, they're forced to use other spells, everyone is happy except Mc4clientmeta who gets sad he wont make bucks on leech alone, also remove HP washing.

Also i'm joking , i know it won't happen don't ''Poe's law'' me

• Funny Funny x 5
  17. Pixel

Pixel Mixed Golem

Jun 17, 2018
    6:16 AM
    DragonMaid
    Outlaw
    Telling a Mage to use anything but Ult is like asking a couch potato to walk to the store after being spoiled for a long time

''ARE YOU EXPECTING ME TO USE MY LEGS...TO WALK?!''

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Ironically, a <10 second cooldown on mage ults wouldn't even be a significant nerf to most spots.
    Mobs respawn every 10 seconds, if you oneshot the map (ulu1, harps, cornians) you don't really need to cast more than once per 10 seconds, hence ult cd would leave multimage farming perfectly viable but screw over actual grinding mages :^}

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. SwordnBoard

SwordnBoard Selkie Jr.

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    12:16 PM
    SwordnBoard
    Paladin
    TeaDrinkers
    Mommy cant buy you tendies forever, and some places dont deliver.
    695584516177264750.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    Feeed
    Corsair
    Who was the person that suggested that ultimates could have a "charging" mechanic (like Grenade or that MM skill)? It doesn't change much for the playability of single-client mages, and absolutely neuters multiclient mages.

No one is going to have 4 computers and a keyboard for each limb.

...Except sku

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1