1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion on balance changes to sweeping.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dimez, Jun 17, 2021.

1. Haku

Haku Dark Stone Golem

Nov 29, 2019
    8:43 AM
    Haku, Avoid
    Night Lord
    Agape
    The fact of the matter is that we are constantly adapting to big changes like these and at some point the game gets stale and we chase after the next meta until that gets changed.

This is no longer maplestory v62.

• Agree Agree x 4
  2. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    11:43 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    certainly its not v62, there has been many changes implemented.
    is it nostalgic however?
    does it even matter if its nostalgic at this point? there's so many players doing multi-clients and don't play maple full screen.
    and im pretty sure most people play maple fullscreen back den, focusing on one char.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    11:43 AM
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    I'm starting to think that having nerfs to money-making methods puts newer players at a disadvantage relative to older players. In the same way that boomers had it easier than millenials, older players had access to far more and far better strategies like gobies, mannes, leps, voodoos, duo duku leech, 5-6 leech, and now the sweeper change. I'm not trying to argue that some of these changes shouldn't have been made, but that I suspect there are unintended, negative consequences to them that should be addressed. Obviously the direct effect of all these changes is that older and more established players become worse off. But relative to newer players, it actually makes them better off because the newer players can never achieve that level of meso-making. Then, with that accumulated wealth, older players have an easier time finding and adapting to new strategies.

For that reason, and for just plain enjoyment, I think we should consider more buffs to alternatives than nerfs to dominant strategies. Plus, positive incentives work better and make people happier than negative incentives.

• Agree Agree x 23
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    1:43 AM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    Completely agree 100%. This post summarises my main issue with the game at the moment.

5. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    New players also have had easier access to nx (multi vote + ap resets from events were not a thing in the past), significantly cheaper skillbooks (HT skillbooks use to be significantly more expensive), and an overall easier time leveling due to advanced metas / buffs to grinding maps.

Sure, its harder to reach end game now than before due to increased cs / ws prices, but reaching the mid/late game is easier now than before.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Not to mention that it seems like posting on forums and sharing any sort of insightful information seems to be actively de-incentivized as of late. NerfLegends really is setting the precedent for more isolated gameplay.

Edit: I'd like to add that one of my favorite experiences of Maplestory was being able to talk openly about various builds and strategies on community forums like sleepywood.net or basilmarket.com without worrying about a conflict of interests regarding nerfs/changes. I love that Legends is a small, close-knit community, but the constant nerfs make me want to share less and less.

• Agree Agree x 17
  7. Shmoo

Shmoo Horny Mushroom

Oct 16, 2020
    Male
    Shmoo
    Warrior
    Refusing to nerf something problematic because older players have already taken advantage of it is a really bad reason not to change something. You can use that reasoning to argue that any nerf that has ever happened on this server was a bad idea.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    5:43 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    IMO ideally if you release new content you want it on the lackluster end of the spectrum and buff it to the point where you want it to be if you aren't sure how it will turn out.

For example this event. HPQ was busted and received a nerf after being abused for a good while. That sucks both because you get an influx of gear caused by muling and channel hogging making more casual players unable to participate, and then it sucks because the pq gets nerfed and everyone that wanted to make use of it suffers.

On the other hand you had Latanica and Pap/Rav for the lower level players that couldn't join the good PQs anymore. It started out barely worth the effort and is now a decent option to get points. That feels way better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    If you're responding to me, I actually said the opposite of this:
    "I'm not trying to argue that some of these changes shouldn't have been made, but that I suspect there are unintended, negative consequences to them that should be addressed."

I'm trying to say that every outcome of a change should be considered and managed, to prevent unintended consequences. Like if a kid is playing with a hazardous toy, you need to take it away, but then you gotta give the kid a new toy to play with or everyone's gonna have a bad time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Are we bringing back the infamous kickball example OnionMuha

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. Haku

Haku Dark Stone Golem

Nov 29, 2019
    Haku, Avoid
    Night Lord
    Agape
    I'm all for adding new content and QoF features to enhance the game, but I'll say that this nerf and other unexpected nerfs in the server did a lot more harm than good imo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    12:43 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I just woke up from a dream where we actually changed it to this monkax I gotta get off forums and go touch some grass or something

• Funny Funny x 9
  13. Gurk

Gurk Nightshadow

Mar 9, 2020
    Male
    Gxrk
    Hero, Bishop, Marksman, Shadower, Buccaneer, Corsair
    It would technically still worsen eph for single-client mages across the board, the severity of which would depend on how long it would take to charge the ult.

14. Bergboy

Bergboy Orange Mushroom

Mar 16, 2020
    Male
    Bishop
    A G A P E
    Time to nerf ML boomers, add expiries to WS/CS, delete them like stews

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    Pasta
    One of the main complaints about this server has been HP washing so it makes sense they make HP washing more available, especially when not all bosses were doable without it & newer content requiring more HP has been added. Even then the AP reset availability during events has also taken a rather severe nerf. Multivoting has been broken for about a month and it doesnt seem like g-bottom is going to fix it soon

Skillbooks were more expensive? So boss runs were more profitable? Skillbook price would gone down anyway because you only need 1 pass per character per book.

WS/CS have gone up in price, despite the lower money making ability of the modern mapler which is why people are complaining about the repeated nerfs, especially when the nerfs seem like hatchet jobs where as the buffs seem to be slight polishes. It now takes far longer with the same effort in the same maps to make money to buy the same items, which have been hoarded by players because of tax dodging & the low meso cap. It must have been terrible having to decide which of the half a dozen viable money making spots to use, leveling any character with the most rewarding 5-6 leech exp rates, while people are on here asking for nerfs after they have already milked it to death, aiming to make it harder for newer players to catch up

Yeah its a great experience not having people around to PQ because everyone else is just leeching, guess i'll just leech too.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Adding a short expiry time (1-2 weeks?) would help them be used for scrolling as intended, as opposed to being held as currency.

• Agree x 3
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Great Work x 1
    • Creative x 1
  17. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    Pasta
    Its ok that would-be 10 minutes saved is gone because of cancel spam now anyway

18. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    bring back SI for mages :D still gotta milk it

• Like Like x 1
  19. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    12:43 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    You do know that this is just ONE event right :p I think people have generally understood that this is a very casual/relaxed event that's more "fun" than sweat/grind fest. I'm fairly sure valentines still had a high amount of AP resets farmable.

Edit: Christmas it seems... shit time goes by too quick kekw

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    Pasta
    Isn't the anniversary event supposed to be the premier event? the event that is the most compelling of the year? the one that lures players back to the server and helps market the server for new ones?

• Agree Agree x 2