1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

An HP Washing Tutorial Quest

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Luu, Jun 23, 2021.

1. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    7:20 AM
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    So, I was going to write my long, obligatory-as-new-player "here's how to fix HP washing" thread until I realized that my idea didn't actually fix any problems, so instead I come with something more sane.

As we know, HP washing is a thing. However, new players don't necessarily know that it's a thing, or find out and then freak out due to all the wildly-varying information out there about how much HP washing is necessary, INT details, etc. Or they read on the forums about HP washing and get incredibly skewed perspectives depending on whether they read one thread or another thread and due to the lack of any sort of consistency get confused about how much HP washing they actually think they need or whether they can even play the character they want to play. There's a dozen suggestions on how to fix or adjust or alter HP washing in a million ways, each with their own potential implications and balance changes and all sorts of stuff to be considered.

This isn't one of those suggestions, but it should theoretically help.

Add a quest to Maple Island that gives some sort of brief overview of what HP washing is, whether someone should care about it, and if someone does decide that they want to wash the various ways they can incorporate it into their preferred playing style (add a bit of INT early and sacrifice early-game damage, add more INT but at a later level so the worst they get is a bit of a struggle with mid-game, etc). Give new players a definitive source of information so they aren't skewed by whatever HP washing threads happened to float to the top of the forums that month, or by whoever happens to be active on Discord at the time that they ask. Something friendly, simple, not bogged down with numbers, that lets players come to their own decisions about whether they even need to care and what to do if they decide they do.

HP washing might be optional per the server listing, but it exists and is highly prevalent. The least we could do is provide a quest at the start of the game telling the players what to expect, so they aren't caught between "don't worry about INT until you're like level 60" and "you need 200 base INT to even play the game".

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 4
    • Agree x 2
    • Great Work x 1
    • Creative x 1
  2. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    12:20 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Appreciate the effort but (almost) noone reads quest dialogue.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Could always make it a quiz sort of thing, with a straightforward-enough question that doesn't require number nonsense (like whether HP washing makes your character have less MP at the end, or whether by the time you finish the whole process you sacrifice damage for HP, or something). Besides, I imagine people mostly click through quests because they've seen them all before when they played this game in the past- hopefully they'd be caught off-guard with this new quest and choose to read it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Finally

Finally Mano

Feb 20, 2021
    Male
    8:20 AM
    Papylon
    Shadower
    I like the idea because I think that the more you can get access to in-game, the better. Things are faster and get more organized when centralized, i think... maybe?
    The problem is that if there is a quest for it, washing will be validated - officially - as a mechanic and something fundamental (a must) to the game, which goes against the official stand that it is optional here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    5:20 AM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    In the past staff has leaned towards a policy of "lets not tell new players about washing as to not pressure them into washing", but it seems like this approach is outdated now. Whereas in the past you could plausibly get by with minimal washing, that is practically not true anymore. Its probably better to properly inform new players rather than pretend washing is not a problem.

• Like Like x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. xRuru

xRuru Slime

Nov 2, 2020
    Male
    xRuru
    Corsair
    Neverland
    Ultimately this seems like a pretty good idea, in theory. The main problem will come by how in depth the quest would go in explaining washing.

Just a brief overview wouldn’t really teach them anything useful, requiring it to be looked up anyway.

Anything further than showing “this class loses ‘x’ mp per ap removed and gains ‘x’ hp.” Is potentially too intimidating, hell even that might be too intimidating.

Every time you advance to the first job there’s a note that comes up anyway telling players to check the forum for recommendations involving that job. People will naturally learn about hp washing; or, more likely, Quit before it’s even relevant to them anyway.

7. OP
    OP
    Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Fair. Especially given that more often than not, people aren't going to reach the content that would've required them to wash anyway.

...for what it's worth, my original idea was to suggest making STR to Max HP as INT is to Max MP, and potentially adjusting HP gained per level to account for that. Definitely even more half-baked than this suggestion.

8. xRuru

xRuru Slime

Nov 2, 2020
    Male
    xRuru
    Corsair
    Neverland
    Realistically I think the easiest thing to do would be to provide sizable hp boosts to job advancements. Giving
    300, 700 and then 1000 hp boosts to ranged classes and 600, 1400, 2000 to melee would save a lot of washing for a lot of people and not affect tHe majority maplestory content (but would probably be a nightmare to code for existing characters.)

9. Koneko

Koneko Orange Mushroom

Jan 21, 2021
    Female
    4:20 AM
    KonekoDxD
    Bandit, Chief Bandit
    I think a heads up, rather than a quest would be nice. If I knew there was HP washing, I wouldn't have had to remake my character and get it back to level 50+.

For example: A new never before seen NPC at the boat(s) to Victoria that shouts out text and if you click on the NPC it gives you an extensive run-down about HP washing, preferably with images! (also mention AP resets are sometimes able to be obtained from events?) Thus players aren't required to click on it if they know about washing but players who are new to washing will get a heads up about what to expect if they want to participate in all content. Of course there are a few cons about this method so let me know what you think.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Redwop

Redwop Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jan 27, 2016
    10:20 PM
    Instead of modifying existing dialogue in a quest, why not consider extending the Beginner's Guide to include this information there instead?

Sera would also only need to remind new players to check the item at the entrance of the camp.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    7:20 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Or create a HP Washing guide book as a purchasable item in the cash shop.

Filled with useful screenshots and what the community (forum) sees as acceptable

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Lirbo

Lirbo Slimy

Feb 18, 2017
    Male
    1:20 PM
    Kiss/Ciss/Qiss
    Night Lord
    ⚔️ Beaters
    I'm against it, there are many forum guides about it.
    The staff is trying not to sweat new players to start washing, it'll also blow the "No-Vote-2-Win" cover.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    This would require the staff to not pretend that washing is optional, so I doubt it will be done.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    I wanted to make a big ass washing guide bible... then I remember how people can't even read half a paragraph on #announcements so I just put the google docs down

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    This wouldn't work because quests are optional and HP washing isn't.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  16. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    8:20 PM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    We're living in sea of information abundant. problem is, how to seek which we need (and having will to find/follow it).
    Definitely good idea OPs suggestion but I'm still against for it a bit because this mushroom game and server isn't Olympia yelling 'Citius, Altius, Fortius', but 'Old school nostalgic maple' we did dumbass stuffs when we were in childhood. I don't want to see system drives players into competition intentionally.

17. Cak33

Cak33 Headless Horseman

Oct 24, 2019
    Male
    7:20 PM
    NotCut3
    Hero
    Active
    Personally don't like competitions revolving around HP Washing. But imo washing should still be made known to new players.

As with almost everything with life, striking a balance will in most cases will provide the most fun, as long as u don't get too jealous. Using HT as the old endgame metric, it is certainly doable without HP washing but....

without hp washing...
    - requires higher levels (compared to other players) to before one can survive.
    - T10 becomes compulsory...
    - and well, gotta get lucky with pet scrolls and maybe BFC.

but extreme washing...
    - byebye toeearly gamr enjoyment
    - yes, you are still extremely useless in zakum
    - most probably also when u first step into HT at lvl 155 while being 200+ base INT...

so, if possible, I always recommend the middle ground - light washing (40-70 base int).
    - early game still extremely impactful and fun -> don't lose much damage.
    - relatively strong in zak -> neglectble damage penalty.
    - very likely capable of surviving in HT, with a HB.
    - and bonus if u play warrior class, hitting 17k+ HP by lvl 155, almost max HP when received HB.

now how's that relevant to new players? they should be aware even if they decide not to go washing. ofc don't go too deep in detail on the book, but give good summaries on what is to be expected, and easy to follow instructions to replicate/follow. at the very least, if light washing is highly recommended, even if players decide to remake in future, they would at least know their current char is still usable and they are juz remaking for better QoL

• Friendly Friendly x 1