1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

A spin to weapon cancels

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by KurayamiLove, Jun 23, 2021.

1. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    4:08 AM
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Hello fellows, this will be a quick post to express an idea I had to perhaps make certain bosses less of a pain. We all know what cancels are: a buff that certain bosses use that makes one of the two kinds of damage only deal 1 damage, this buff really put a stop to the boss and are very unfun to play against since is just a very cheap way to pause the progress. These ideas could be implemented to reflect as well.
    Now I had a couple of ideas that could make this a bit less of a pain, hear me out:

1-Make cancels/reflect only last 10 seconds (like in Krexel). A bit less annoying, this small pause may just let the party rebuff and keep going. Damage reflects kills everyone within the first 2 seconds so the rest is just waiting, how it's played would be the same. This could come with reduced timer as long as the cooldown of cancels doesn't get reduced.

2-Make certain skills get rid of them: Wouldn't be cool if Magic Crash and/or Dispell could get rid of these? and upon a successful Cancel dispel the skill would go into cooldown for 5 minutes or so. I don't think how possible this is to add but at least making Magic Crash have always a CD and get rid of it would be good for Paladins and anyone on their team.

3-Spawn pillars. This is a wild idea but I think is fun. Remover Monster Carnival? You could summon pillars that buffed the enemy mosnters, the enemy team would have to find and break the pillar with basic attacks to remove this buff. This is more for HT but what if it summoned some pillars, like 4 of them, and if you need to guess which one is the right one, so the team can go look for these and break them to get rid of the cancel. A coordinated team could get rid of the pillars faster rewarding teamwork. This would make cancels last shorter unless people suck and would make them a bit fun since now there is something to do when cancel pops up, not just standing and waiting as you use pots.

I know this may look a bit random of a post but sometimes I have some silly ideas and I like to share them o.o Have a good day!

• Like Like x 23
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    3:08 AM
    I support this thread because

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  3. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    10:08 PM
    iPippy
    Paladin buff or HH crash mule buff? :cool:

4. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    7:08 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Make Paladin charged attacks be magic damage. It would give them an option of attacking with charges or without, thereby by-passing cancels as a niche play.

• Creative Creative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Annolis

Annolis Skelegon

Jul 20, 2015
    Male
    Southern California
    Marchilles/Annolis/ Atlan/Katroz/ Chokal/Corvack/Tisif/ Quallo/Crisilixin/Forg/ Nannosh/Tylius
    Crusader, White Knight, Dragon Knight, F/P Mage, I/L Mage, Priest, Ranger, Sniper, Hermit, Chief Bandit, Marauder, Outlaw
    Eternals
    I'm a fan of Pally's having their skill actually work. On GMS, they eventually did that - but they gave that skill to Heros and DKs, too. The cooldown was like 6M, and the cancel that Zak had was programmed to go off every 1 to 1.5 minutes. So even if you had 3 pallys that cancelled the effect in a row, the fourth one was surely going to go the duration.

6. OP
    OP
    KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Yeah I know, we can't have nice things, do we?
    Also is funny how the job with the most mobility never ever uses the mobility in bosses since all they do is standing around. With smaller cancels like krexel you just rebuff, no need to move.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Cancel is just bad game design. Better designed bosses in MapleStory or well any other game handle making the boss invincible with giving the player something to do as the boss is invincible, like perhaps break a barrier or do something to end the invisibility status, or well perhaps the boss is always invisible until a small window when its open to take damage but that is more often used in platformers.
    To compare two bosses of Maple we could compare Vellum and Scarlion. Scarlion is literally half of the time unable to take damage of one source, you do have to keep the damage needed to kill it decently fast knowing this, the boss is terrible and pretty boring since you literally have to stand around and do nothing for 30 seconds and perhaps pot if you take damage.
    Vellum on the other hand (post bb boss) is far better since you still have to keep in mind that half of the battle the boss will be unreachable below ground, you have to keep an eye on the ground since if it goes out and you get hit by it you lose the chance of doing damage when it's vulnerable (on easy mode you get stunned and get kb far away, chaos mode you just die), so thats, why I suggested the pillar thing so you have something to do as the boss is invincible.

Edit: I also think that well cutting down the cancel/reflect time really makes runs faster and not really that much easier unless waiting hard, and yes timer could go down.

I remember once Zakum's cancel bugged and it went away as soon as it came out, 15 mins runs, lovely.
    Scarlion with the rush cancel removal was lovely too and Targa still was cancer but not as much.
    PB when it got the reflect bugged it got recketd pretty hard, could do 1hour PB possible
    HT, when it had the cancel removals, was a bit better altho not that much faster cos well we had less dmg back then. Even then HT is way too long as it is now and it kinda drags out on the second run so making it shorter would make it a bit less hmmmm dragy?

• Agree Agree x 8
  8. joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    If we kept weapon/magic cancel cool downs the same while decreasing weapon/magic cancel duration by half/a third, that would basically fix how awful fighting HT, scar, targa, etc. feels right now

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I'm in the camp that is in favor of making HT harder, but I do not think this is the right way. There needs to be some change that can bring back cleave into this meta. The head-only meta is one of my least favorite changes that have shifted Horntail strategy to be super one-dimensional, and with the recent change, it basically phased out all cleave from being viable.

I wonder if reverting back to one mass seduce timer for each arm at 1-1.5 minutes would be a plausible change to save cleave. This would allow cleave to go ham on the arms/wings/head, and it'd add to bishop play for keeping shield up during mass. Early arms down means for fewer pots burned as well, with the debuffs and mana drain being reduced.

As for the more frequent cancels, personally, I don't mind that much as it forces attackers to be more attentive and mobile, which is one of the best features of Horntail that sets itself apart from other bosses in this game.

• Like Like x 3
  10. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    change cancel so that instead of stopping 100% of your damage, make it like a 50% damage reduction. This keeps cleave relevant in HT.

• Like Like x 9
  11. OP
    OP
    KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    I like your idea :). In fact Margana (Mage boss in CWKPQ) has the same effect but it last shorter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Skuire

Skuire Nightshadow

Aug 16, 2017
    8:08 PM
    Skucci
    Shadower
    I like this. Cancel is such a valueless mechanic. It's high time something was done about it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Yoral

Yoral Slime

Nov 22, 2020
    Male
    Yoral
    Page
    I've actually had a few paladin/hero changes on my mind that I wanted to suggest, but I didn't think they'd get any traction.
    I want to say wholeheartedly agree with changing non-dk warrior cancels to be usable, instead of totally worthless. I believe this would be the primary way to go for the following reasons:

1. Imagine, for a second, that Paladins not only had a Magic Crash that canceled a boss' magic cancel buff, but the Threaten skill also lowered a boss' magic defense in addition to w.defense. Imagine the party build diversity this could open up. Magic-focused parties might actually be viable instead of straight trash. 3 mages, 1 paly, 2 anything else. Obviously, this kind of party would be incredibly slow, but I remember that when 2 mages were in a party during Zak runs, if the fight dragged on long enough, Zakum would run out of mp. This kind of zak build would focus on safety instead of speed. Paladins would have some party utility in a magic party and mages might possibly be able to do zakum, at least. A win-win!
    I feel like this would be a really really really cool idea to implement. Please consider it dear admins.
    2. If Heroes could cancel a boss' Weapon Cancel buff, party diversity would also increase. DKs are a must-have for all parties not for HB, but rather because it's the only warrior that can canel the most important boss buff. If Heroes could get this ability, you may see some niche parties that don't require HB to survive, which I think is really cool.​

14. OP
    OP
    KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    Hmmm I'd love to see more utility on Paladin and I have a lot of suggestions. When comes to lower magic defense I don't know how efficient that would be in bossing, the only boss that made one of the mages viable is Pink Bean and that's because everyone else is doing half damage to it, I don't think magic defense drop would help that much. On Zakum arms, any mage does pretty well but the body part, unless you are the mob cleaner you don't do as much. HT is a multipart boss but the damage will decay the more parts are dead, I think cleavers like warriors and specially Shadower can pull out better and more reliable damage overall in HT. The rest of the bosses are just single target. may have to go down.

The hero change would make people make Hero mules most likely so that's why Paladin can't have it either most likely (like they also cant have a good HH). DK is good I think but outside PB and perhaps NT HB isn't that OP anymore due to people washing far more than before.

I kinda wish Archmages had a role in bossing but they are the best grinders and farmers, giving them bossing would be too good unless they get reworked kinda like post BB mages.

15. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    In the current washing meta, an archmage in zak is going to pull more weight than quite a few other classes. A combination of being full power in terms of ap and only needing a couple skills to get most of their output. You just dont see archmage in zak because people think the 200 int NL would be more useful, and because the archmage has better uses of their time (bossing is bad, remember).

If anything, I've thought archmage does pretty well early but falls off hard due to not having a weapon attack multiplier to keep up with the influx of higher tier gear. An int/m.att is going to be slightly better than a main stat point than other classes, but while everyone is chaosing for w.att, mage gets left in the dust. The "built-in" quadratic scaling of magic is too slow in today's standard.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Yoral

Yoral Slime

Nov 22, 2020
    Male
    Yoral
    Page
    I would agree, however, I'm pretty sure mages would only boss while fitting into a niche and still not do as well. As in, they would be nowhere near as viable as an attackers party, even if they're in the magic-aligned party they would hypothetically fit in.
    Hero mules? Do people make mules for removing weapon cancel and then bring them into bosses?

17. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    10:08 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    If heroes could actually do that I'd bet my left nutsack and both front teeth that people would indeed do that.

We absolutely can't have nice things in this server because of the multiclient rule. See paladins.

Anyway, yeah delete cancel mechanics from the game and increase every boss hp by 25% if you have to, these mechanics are a shining example of how clueless Neckson was as a gameplay designer back then. Altho i do concur with ovv that it's acceptable and even kinda fun in ht to make you move around. But when scar or zak does it it's like fine i'll just stare at the screen I guess

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. goering

goering Slime

Aug 5, 2020
    goering
    Beginner
    why not have weapon cancel target one of the jobs in the party specifically? this would encourage diverse party comps since only one-two players would be cancelled by it at a time, unless they chose to stack a single class? and of course, balance the duration and cooldown to keep it in line with the intended difficulty. maybe balance it around a typical party doubling up on couple jobs so this isn't too overbearing on getting a party together.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    Can we have WC only target NLs?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Yoral

Yoral Slime

Nov 22, 2020
    Male
    Yoral
    Page
    Question: are there a lot of people making DKs for the sole purpose of using them to debuff zak/HT/PB/Scar+Targa/other bosses?