1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

White scroll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by umaga, Jun 27, 2021.

1. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    11:22 AM
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    WS expiring has bigger problems than price fluctuation(s), namely kicking the problem down to the next most versatile item (cs). The people who buy ws as a store of value are lowering the supply for the users who want to use the scroll for its intended purpose, and increase the price.

People using it as a store of value keep the price continually trending upward. The main problem with ws is that the demand for it is inelastic. If you compare the expected value between using a 30% + Ws, 30% + CSS vs a 10% WS on nearly finished items (+5 or higher) WS could cost something stupid like 500m each and still be worthwhile to purchase. For people with +5 / very valuable items, its simply the best option by far.

Below is a screenshot from Moomin's perfect weapon calculator, using a red craven as an example. (51 att clean craven at 12m, claw att 30% at 4.5, css at 6m, and white scroll at 500m).

upload_2021-6-27_16-14-43.png

• Informative Informative x 3
  2. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    2:22 PM
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    I think we both agree on the notion that individual players don't have much choice when it comes to finishing their weapons/gear with WS.
    However, I think there's a slight error in equating "being willing to buy" and "demand". Even if you're willing to buy WS at 400m doesn't mean you're going to buy the same number of WS at 400m.

I also agree that users that buy out WS increases its price for users that need it. However, WS prices are determined by the rate at which WS is produced and consumed, not by how many WS a person happens to have sitting in storage. I disagree with the notion that this practice causes prices to go continually upward; instead, I would claim that it causes a non-increasing increase in price that's just a function of the rate at which scrolls are being leeched into currency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rambo

rambo Pink Teddy

Apr 13, 2020
    Male
    2:22 AM
    21blvck
    And gets banned for rwt before she could even equip it

• Funny Funny x 4
  4. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    there's never just one reason for price changes lol if i were you, i wouldn't say that with such confidence

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. jesscapades

jesscapades Pac Pinky

Jun 24, 2019
    Female
    jesscapades
    Shadower
    Homies
    Mb, it highly doubt that timeless weapons are the cause though. Nothing worth white scrolling has dropped so far, and if someone was trying to make a perf timeless, they would’ve been accumulating ws over time rather than suddenly spiking the price and fucking themselves over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    It is probably temporary.
    Price spike due to people completing weapons.
    <<info from Owl Repo>>
    upload_2021-6-28_12-3-30.png

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    7:22 PM
    I feel like there is just going to be more people hopping onto the white scroll holding bandwagon which will just keep on pushing the price higher. This just fks with people that actually wanted to use white scroll to perfect weapon.
    I'm just wondering what are the potential solution to combat this issue?
    If we make all the new white/chaos scroll to have an expiry date of say 1-2months, will this reduce down the price? Since then only people that actually wants to use them will buy them
    What are the potential problem that may arise from this expiry idea?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    If you really think prices are inflated from speculation, then your best solution is to just not to buy WS until prices go back down. If prices don't go back down, then the prices weren't really inflated (from speculation) in the first place.

If your problem is with people profiteering from fluctuations in WS prices, then adding an expiry date will only worsen that problem since there won't be a reserve of WS to stabilize prices when demand increases.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    Some dude out there holding 30 ws would like to say a huge F U.
    In any case, an expiry date would just drop the current price until the expiry date, then the price will still mostly maintain due to the production rate.

This is literally a supply and demand issue here, but no, let's do something to the looting to something something deflation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    4:22 AM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    3 months isn't long enough to get a truly representitive picture, try going back a year or so

12. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    1yr ago , 140m WS 65m CS. But 1 yr ago MW 500m and gen 300m.
    How about going back 3 years? MW 1b?

13. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    8:22 PM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Sorry I was joking and referring to an earlier balance thread :^)

14. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    4:22 AM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    So bossing was more profitable & WS were cheaper? Sounds like a good time. Maybe some alternate way of getting money apart from leech is needed in modern times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    The guy holding 30 ws can piss off. Ppl holding ws is the reason the market is short on supply.

The motivation to make ws have an expiry date is to prevent it from being used as currency. I would argue WS prices increase, not only when someone is perfecting a weap, but also when ppl buy/sell using WSs. There's nothing wrong with using WS to finishing your weap; that's what they're for. What I think is unhealthy is using WS as a form of currency to buy/sell since it adds a lot of demand. And if you know that WS as a currency keeps rising in price, why would a seller receiving payment in the form of WS want to re-circulate them back into the FM?

You are right that if an expiry date is added to WS, they would still be worth a lot initially and lose value as it approaches the expiry time. That's why if expiry is added, it'd have to be very unforgiving to holders (maybe like 1 week long) so that it loses value as currency but have no effect in usefulness for finishing weapons.

The only concern I have with adding expiry is that will the vehicle of currency move to a different item? WS isn't only the valuable item these days. There's CS, bwg/ym, atk capes, gfa30, and maybe even mw20 (pog) etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    9:22 PM
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    I think the best solution would be a different source for WS and CS, maybe bossing ?
    if PB and HT would drop white scrolls and chaos scrolls it will increase bossing profitability and increase WS supply which in turn will lower prices, win win :).
    and hopefully with time the scrolls will go genesis 30 rout and drop price to something manageable, rather than "multiclient mage farms or no scroll for u".

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    there is also a possibility that if u make WS expire ppl will use prefect weapons with WS succefuly used on them as currency, i mean if the mechanic forces u to use the scroll than ppl will use on a good weapon and if succesfull will triple-quadrupole its price. ppl will just trade +5/+6 weapons as currency

18. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    I don't think this would happen just by argument of versatility. The reason why WS/CS are worth so much right now is because of versatility; every class would like to use WS to perf weaps, every atker class would like to use CS to improve their capes/gloves hence their high demand.

Weapons however are niche market items. +5/+6 craven is not worth the same as +5/+6 battle axe. If I were to purchase/sell an item using currency of other items, it doesn't make sense for me to use something so niche. A good currency is worth alot whoever is the recipient i.e. versatile. I would not accept payment in the form of +5/+6 battle axe; it's worthless to me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    12:22 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    I dunno what you are looking at, but MW and Gen were nowhere near those prices 1 year ago.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    weapons was definitely not a good choice on my part, but it can be any other popular equipment, maybe +6 brown glove ?

• Agree Agree x 1