1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

White scroll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by umaga, Jun 27, 2021.

1. skim0686

skim0686 Mushmom

Mar 21, 2021
    10:54 PM
    how would making them expire, which is basically reducing the supply constantly, meet the current demand when it is greater than what's available? meeting the current demand would mean reducing it or increasing the supply. what I am saying is there aren't enough ws being produced each day to satisfy the market's daily demands

2. Luu

Luu Pac Pinky

May 15, 2021
    Male
    LuuBluum
    I/L Wizard
    Right, and the assumption made when it was proposed to make them expire is that the supply produced daily does in fact meet demand, if it weren't for people hording them as a store of wealth instead of either using them or putting them onto the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    3:54 AM
    One thing to note is that you can't put any expirable items in your FM store.

So if WS were to expire, have fun seeing numerous smega's of S> or B> WS. Not like we have enough smega spam as it already is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Say there's 50 WS in market. 2 people want to start working on end game equip but 3rd person wants to hoard. 3rd person buys 25 ws to hoard. Now there is less market.

Time limit added, 3rd person no longer wants to hoard. There is more market.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. porl

porl Mixed Golem

May 30, 2020
    Male
    12:54 PM
    Bishop, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
    If expiry dates were added to WS then (if needed) the obtainment rates can be adjusted accordingly, it's not like the current WS rates have to stay the way they are forever. Gachapon rates have been changed many times in the past & we just got a new way of obtaining WS via Crimsonwood Forest exchange.

6. skim0686

skim0686 Mushmom

Mar 21, 2021
    ah ok I see what you mean

7. skim0686

skim0686 Mushmom

Mar 21, 2021
    so everyone will wait until these scrolls are about to expire, basically holding the seller by the balls and crash the price. doesn't sound like a good idea

8. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    3rd person buys whatever item he/she wants to buy with WS, and 25WS is back in market. I don't see the problem there.

The difference between people that use WS and collect WS is that the ones that are in collection don't actually disappear.

You'd also need to buy 25 (or whatever number) of WS consistently, every week to keep up the prices.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    The problem is they aren't. They're holding the WS and waiting for someone to create a perfect equip for them to trade it off to. So in the end the WS are being kept in a vault for a long time and the only exchange is WS for WS (perf item already eating the WS)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    What's the problem with people trading WS for perf items?

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    This is going to be my last post on the topic because if people don't want to understand they won't.

User buys 50 WS at 130m. Hoards them until now where they are getting around 190m. Probably continues to buy more. The price goes up because there are less in the market. People buy WS to make a perfect weapon and those WS will most likely be worth more than the weapon is at the end. Meanwhile while this user is hoarding waiting for that, the price continues to go up. They continue to take from the market. It will continue to go up. So in the end someone who made a perfect weapon with like 70 WS is only going to get 40 to 50 WS because of price increase. The user keeps hoarding them. Less are circulating back into the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    The biggest irony with your scenario is that had this user chosen to scroll his own weapon instead of buying a used one, there would literally be 70 less WS in circulation (whereas this guy would be releasing saved WS back into the market with this purchase). not to mention nobody should need to spend 70WS on any gear unless you're making a 50int robe/perf shield

Perf weapons are worth less than their expected costs due to a variety of reasons, but the meso price of WS is not one of them.

Something that's frustrating with some of the issues raised in this thread is that these solutions are literally self-defeating in the sense they worsen the problem that are claiming to be solved.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  13. PandaOnPanda

PandaOnPanda Timer

Jun 29, 2019
    PandaOn___
    Paladin, I/L Arch Mage, Corsair
    Homies
    Imagine trying to buy a perf weapon/high attack glove or cape/any big end game item without WS. Need some way to store mesos when you run up against the cap

Edit: If this change happened could also think about implementing meso tokens to store large amounts of mesos in like another private server i won't name

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. whatdatoast

whatdatoast Windraider

Apr 9, 2020
    7:54 PM
    whatdatoast
    Bowman
    I feel like people aren't getting the extent of the hoarding issue. Go owl any scroll worth 3m+, and look at the number of people with 50+. The legends market is incredibly fragile, especially with gach-exclusive scrolls. I've sometimes spent weeks owling the same scroll (gfa30/70, sfma 30/70), and it's usually stabile, until 1 person (presumably) goes and buys out everything, and suddenly the scroll is worth 1.5x and takes a month to 'recover'.

The same happens for WS, it's just harder for people to see. As with the other market-economics thread we had last week, it'd be nice for staff to know the WS being produced / used each week to see how much of this is actually going on.

Giving WS an expiry will have different short term and long term effects. I suspect if implemented, all previous WS will expire on the same date. This will of course push WS prices lower near expiry. We can look back at the great stew purge last year as an example; price remained quite stable until a month out, and then suddenly people were trying to offload hundreds.

What will happen after this mass-expiry? I'd imagine if the expiry is short (< 1month), people will no longer hoard them, so the demand will be less and the price will drop.

I don't think WS expiry is healthy for the server though. There could be a lot of old players that come back and see all their wealth gone.

So how will people purchase expensive items without WS. Probably punt the problem down to the next most expensive scroll (CS, gfa30, oa/earring int30, etc). Ideally staff just creates a 1b coin or something, and taxes you upon purchase/use.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    A lot of issues you bring up can be solved by adding expiry dates to only new WS.

My problem with expiry dates is that I feel that it will make the WS market even more sensitive than it is right now.

If there are a lot of people finishing weapons at that particular time, then you might see the price spike significantly because there's literally 1-2 WS left on sale (with none on storage to help stabilize prices).

On the other hand, are there aren't a lot of people finishing weapons, you might see the price drop significantly because sellers absolutely have to sell before their scrolls expire.

Finally, I don't understand why hoarders would mass-buy WS at unreasonable prices if they have all the time in the world to buy them. I don't know any of these hoarders personally so I can't speak on it with any sort of certainty; however, I would think it would be people that actually need to use the scrolls that are willing to buy WS at inflated prices.

16. BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male

If I'm about to hit the 2.1bn meso cap what am I supposed to do then? Buy some Subani Ankh's?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    I'm not saying people don't buy WS as a means of storage/currency. I'm saying that those people aren't so desperate to buy WS to cause abnormal spikes in WS prices.

I'm sure as hell not buying WS for 200m until prices either go down or it settles as the new norm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    This is actually a pretty good point. I wonder if there is a way to just make expirable item be placed in FM store? feels like it's worth the effort instead of thinking other non-expiry solutions.. hmm

Thank god someone is realising how serious the hoarding issue can be..
    Regarding the issue you mentioned, I'm not sure if I want to say this the 4th time, but, can we not just add expiry date on newly freshly gached white/chaos scroll? just keep the existing ones as they are with no expiry dates.

I'm actually quite interested to know why do you think some of these solutions are literally self-defeating? o.o

Adding expiry date does make it more sensitive since we will be losing 2 groups of people holding the value of white scroll. But I think with how the server is having more players reaching end game and with the addition of pink bean which gives another reason to start white scrolling again, the demand for white scroll will be quite stable for quite some time, it's just the matter of who is in a bigger rush than the other and how are they gonna bid against each other.

Hoarders don't need to mass-buy, the price increase comes when more people are trying to be a hoarder, when you see the continuous upward price trend of white scroll, why won't you buy one to secure your own meso-generating machine?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. kiln

kiln Pink Teddy

Jan 2, 2021
    Pepperspray
    Corsair
    Elite
    I don't believe hoarding contributes to long-term pricing of WS. Hoarded WS are still going to be sold, used, or traded at one point or the other.

I acknowledge that the double-use of WS as currency (particularly for big-ticket trades) can make the scroll more expensive. However, there's no convenient, reliable alternative for these players.

If the problem is with people buying WS today in hopes that WS will be more valuable later (which is a fair assessment), then the WS hoarded today will be sold or used later down the line when WS is in more demand (making WS cheaper than what it would've otherwise been). I don't find this this to be a problem.

WS hoarding is a symptom of a problem (increasing demand for WS), not the problem itself.

• Disagree Disagree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Tate

Tate Capt. Latanica

Apr 16, 2020
    New Zealand
    2:54 PM
    Potayto
    Shadower
    Beaters
    I, for one, have held onto the single White Scroll I've ever received from Gachapon since 2017.

I have not pulled any new White Scrolls since.

• Friendly Friendly x 1