1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Information Balance Road Map: Post-Anniversary 2021

Discussion in 'MapleLegends Announcements' started by Nise, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    1:01 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    « With the Anniversary patch we introduced a large number of changes and have been observing how things have been playing out. Based on the community feedback in-game, on discord, and on forums, we've been fervently discussing what our next steps should be.

Often times, we come to a conclusion, wait for developer implementation, test it, THEN release it to the public. This has been the case, as there are instances where people can easily get a head start over others and gain an unfair advantage.

Taking the recent CWK Exchange for example, some players could have farmed thousands of badges before its release. Compare that with other players that might only find out upon its release and start farming them afterwards. We wanted players to be equally in awe & curious about new content, and share their experiences exploring the new change on the live server together. Joint experiences like these are what makes the whole experience fascinating and worthwhile in our opinions.

Additionally, there are times we don't want to release the info to the public as we don't have the details finalized, and what we say could accidentally mislead people. An example of this would be Pink Bean's release and what we were going to do with all the pre-existing Pieces of Time. As the discussion was on-going, mentioning that Reverse Weapons could be crafted using Pieces of Time would have mistakenly led players to farm them beforehand, only to find out that they were useless in the end.

There are various other reasons that we don't discuss future changes in public, and this will continue to be the case. HOWEVER, there are some changes in the works that we believe can be officially mentioned to the public before they're released on the live servers, so that people can get a better grasp on our progress of things as well as giving players the opportunity to give us feedback. »

[​IMG]
    A very hot topic on the forums the past few weeks for sure. Making mesos only lootable by the killer (aka the looting rework or sweeper removal) has been a topic discussed over and over again within the team and we'd like to give you some insight as to what we think. The major issues that we've come to acknowledge with how the rework was originally handled are that it:
    • Impedes party play
    • Causes visual clutter (especially in PQs)
    • Causes pets to spam "unable to loot"
    • Affected single mages in some maps far more than other places
    We decided that our primary goal should be to make sure party play returns to a similar state as before the rework and reduce the visual clutter (especially in PQs) from the plentiful meso drops. After lots of brainstorming, we've been working on a hot fix that should address this concern. This seems to be a good half-measure for now, but we're still looking for a more permanent and elegant solution. This may also be accompanied with some additional steps in the future.

The temporary fix in development is:
    • Allowing meso coins [​IMG] & meso bucks [​IMG] to be lootable by ALL party members
    • BUT meso bags [​IMG] will only be lootable by the killer
    This should significantly reduce the visual clutter, while still regulating the amount of mesos generated. Once finalized, this can be implemented with a restart.

As for the case of pets spamming "unable to loot", we are looking at ways to reduce it. This, however, needs more attention and at the moment, we can't confirm if it's possible or not.

We understand that not all players are going to be satisfied with this change, as some specific concerns weren't addressed. We ask everyone to be patient while we consider further changes, as we're also thinking about how some behind-the-scenes changes as well as unannounced proposals (such as the bossing changes below) would affect the economy as a whole, and to what degree changes to raw meso generation need to be made.

[​IMG]
    We hope everyone has enjoyed the new CWK exchange. After gathering feedback and information including community compiled data we've decided to make some changes coming up!
    1. Monster Drop Update: We're in the process of reviewing the drop tables of the CWK monsters that drop badges, and we'll be making some tweaks! After seeing community feedback, we wanted to make the process of farming the badges more rewarding as well. Everyone can look forward to some new drops from the monsters (I’m looking at you Nightshadows) and altered rates for some of the existing drops.
    2. Meso Gears Ring [​IMG] Buff: Two of the most hated rewards from the exchange, despite their contribution to the lore, were the Meso Gears Ring & Subani's Ankh. Meso Gears Rings will get a buff so that they'll be better than ciders, but worse than energizers. This can only be done by the next patch though, so be sure to save them up!
    3. A New Home for Subani's Ankh [​IMG]: Everyone's favorite Scambani Subani's Ankh! We’ve heard that they are frustrating to get, and we've been discussing ways to make them useful. While the specifics are still being discussed, we want to make the Ankh an ingredient that you can use to craft Safety Charms [​IMG], as the Ankh is an object that promotes protection. Keep an eye out for when that change comes!
      • P.S. We'll also be making them stack, but this can only be done by the next patch, so you're going to have to bear with it for now. Sorry!
    Asides from the above changes, we believe the exchange itself is currently in a very healthy spot in terms of its rewards. Hopefully the above changes make the whole process (including the act of farming for them) much better.

[​IMG]
    When we announced the CWK Exchange, we hinted at possible changes coming very soon. This change was supposed to touch directly on the availability of White Scrolls, Chaos Scrolls, and making bossing more profitable/relevant. Based on the rate of progress pre-Anniversary, and the fact that a lot of what we had envisioned was intentionally imported into the game in advance, this change was slated to be released in the middle of our Anniversary event.

However, like Murphy's law says, "anything that can go wrong will go wrong". Lots of pressing matters that we needed to discuss and test propped up, such as event balancing, looting rework, feedback on the CWK exchange, various bugs related to buffs, and other miscellaneous issues. With all these things, the Staff Team has been put back in finalizing the new content we had envisioned to revitalize bossing.

We truly wanted to surprise everyone with this, which was why it was in the wraps, but with the growing concerns the community had about bossing we felt we shouldn't continue to keep this a secret.

Staff fully acknowledges that there has been a huge disparity between bossing and farming. This isn't a problem that suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and it definitely isn't something we just started to work on. Discussions on how to revitalize bossing have been underway ever since 2018. There have been many different proposals and iterations of ideas over the years, but each of them had their fair share of problems that we just couldn't overlook.

The idea we arrived at is one that we think would be fair for players of all level ranges and not just cater to less than 1% of players. This system should help add to the supply of White Scrolls and Chaos Scrolls in the market, and should be coming soonTM. There's some additional stuff we're working on to make the economy more sustainable in the long run, which ties into making the progression of gear more natural and feel less like an impossible feat, but this is still early in discussion. Just know that there is stuff in the works looking directly at bossing!

[​IMG]
    The boss skill casting rework seems to be, for the most part, working as intended. However, one major issue we've found is that Weapon Cancel and Magic Cancel are always alternating. When testing things out, we were sure this was how it was meant to work, but after some thorough research we realized this is indeed a bug.

Just because a boss casted Weapon Cancel, does not mean the next cancel should be a Magic Cancel. It should be left up to chance what the next cancel should be.

While we have identified this as a bug, it seems this will take some time to fix. So we thank you in advance for your patience while we handle this. But do note it is definitely on our radar and classified as a bug that we hope to fix ASAP.

• Great Work x 37
    • Like x 10
    • Informative x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Useful x 2
    • Agree x 1
  2. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    5:01 PM
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Haven't read it fully yet but this gets an instant like.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    12:01 PM
    Trion
    Beginner
    Amazing initial impressions with what you are working on. Really impressive stuff. Selfishly I like the CWK changes and the mesos idea isn't a bad one at all! I wish I had thought of something similar.

EDIT: Also if MesosGear ring is becoming better than Cider does that mean Rage is getting a buff too? kekw

4. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    9:01 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Sweeper mages still optimal meta, so it seems. :^)

Edit: Front page real estate - #nerfshaolin

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    We love u

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    DMsRebirth
    Isn't that because of a server change rather than a bug, though?

https://forum.maplelegends.com/inde...ance-changes-and-bug-fixes.33639/#post-227976

7. OP
    OP
    Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    1:01 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    So we previously put in a check to prevent the opposite cancel from happening while the boss was cancelled.
    (Eg) Weapon Cancel activates > before WC deactivates, boss casts Magic Cancel (but because WC is active, MC doesn't apply) > WC deactivates > but MC is still on cooldown

That check should still be in place, but compounded with bosses casting skills consistently, it ends up permanently alternating. So it's a bug/problem is caused by how the rework & our fix for cancels being cast when they shouldn't be. Since both of them still need to be a thing, we can't just revert the linked change to fix the problem atm :( Which makes it need a bit more looking into & recoding.

8. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    Thank you for giving some insight and updating us on your plans. It really goes a long way for us feeling comfortable for the changes and looking forward to the future instead of dreading what the next nerf is going to be.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    I'm very excited to see how staff will make BOSSING GREAT AGAIN!

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Nise, would it be possible to make mesogear rings tradeable? Some of us who farm cwk badges do so on our mages since the time it takes to farm on some atker classes like archers, NLs etc. can be very unforgiving (like 2hrs). If the mesogear rings will be better than ciders then it would be nice if the rings can be tradeable so that we aren't forced to farm badges on inefficient characters.

Thanks for the transparency! This motivates me to stay in the game despite depressing WS/CS prices

• Like Like x 5
  11. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    I kinda spect the boss change to be like NT weapons dropping from bosses: a feature that will be added just to be instantly nerfed right after and make it ultra hyper rare to get any of the items. Perhaps more like a raffle type where you get mostly trash 99% of the time and perhaps you get a WS? I played this game enough to know that we can't have anything that is remotely good and that things must be as grindy as possible so the people that play a lot don't get too much and those who don't play as much, well you guys are out of luck.

Cancels being random now but still frequent could make things better or worst depending on your luck, cancels still will be what they always been and that's how it is supposed to be most likely forever: cheap time stalling used just to make bosses last long because waiting=hard (that's why PB is so hard, you gotta wait lots of days to wash to then wait for reflects to go off).

I know my expectations on the server are grim but that the most realistic way of seeing things, I kinda lost hope on the endgame looooooong ago (good thing I made a new char to do something between boss and boss), I'm up to get surprised but as it is, for now, I'm keeping my hopes low.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    Wait are you getting upset over an assumption that you're making up on the spot?

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    I'd prefer this to not happen, untradeable is better.

It incentives you to actually use your attacker to farm them.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. pharaoh

pharaoh Master Chronos

Mar 30, 2020
    Male
    Radiologist
    Marksman
    Beaters
    I just want to say I and many others highly appreciate the transparency and openness from you and the rest of the staff about these forthcoming changes.

One thing I would like to suggest pre-emptively before your boss rework is implemented is to please consider a way to provide bonus rewards to level 200’s. The large experience rewards of bosses like Horntail and Toad are a huge incentive to run them, but level 200’s do not get to share in this reward. If when you release your boss reward rework you can incorporate a way to provide a bonus reward to players that are 200, it would allow 200 players to continue enjoying the full range of bossing content in this game with their friends without feeling like they’re wasting their time.

Just something to consider. It’s great that we have a chance to offer feedback such as above before a change is released rather than after, much appreciated and I hope this trend continues.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Not all attackers are built the same. NLs and archers take twice the time to raffle compared to classes like sairs who can complete an exchange in <70 min (this is faster than mages). In my opinion this is not fair. A lot of us have mages and by making these rings farmable with our mages and then tradeable to our attackers, we level the playing field by making the cwk raffle attainable to most people.

By keeping rings untradeable you're just shafting atker classes that have poor farming ability.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Mages have the best farming abilities, ranged attackers are the best for bossing. How about making cleave the best choice for the CWK exchange?

Sairs are a bit of an outlier here but tbh night lord grinding ability is pretty underrated too.

• Creative Creative x 1
  17. akashsky

akashsky Horntail

Jun 10, 2017
    Male
    United States
    Disparity
    Corsair
    Pasta
    This is so incredibly bias its ridiculous. The corsairs that are finishing in under 70mins have perfect gear and are close to, if not level 200. If you compare yourself to a corsair with your level of gear, you will see that they take far longer than 70 mins.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Fair point, I haven't seen data from lower level sairs so I'm not sure what the avg time is then. My point about mobbing disparity between classes still holds tho.

19. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I am hopeful for the CWK exchange. I main a Bowmaster and don't have a mage or cleave to do the quests with at this time. I did it once and it took me 3 hours, and I already had a full stack of 1 of the badges when I started :X

20. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    There's also nothing currently stopping ranged from sweeping badges from mages. Would probably be punishing on archer but NL would do well.

• Agree Agree x 1