1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

2021 Anniversary Event MapleLegends Balancing Pulse Check

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by joota, Jul 5, 2021.

1. s0mething

s0mething Capt. Latanica

May 4, 2019
    2:17 PM
    OP created this thread/survey to gauge the community's perspective in regards to CWK Exchange. Yes there are other aspects to the game (e.g. card hunting like you mentioned); however, that's only a small fraction of time invested.

The introduction of the CWK exchange has been a great addition for non-bossing attackers to farm mesos/WS, albeit not well received. Since CWK exchange offers a new source of obtaining WS which can be used for end game gear, would it be possible for staff to revisit a class's "identity". Many of us, mostly myself I guess, have voiced our displease about being handicapped in terms of time of completion for 1 cwk exchange.

EDIT: After talking to my good friend yogurtselleryogurtseller, he made a good suggestion. Rather than nerfing sairs :yay:, one solution to balancing CWK exchange is to add warps to cwk maps.

• Like Like x 4
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    6:17 AM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    Warps might be a great idea! And if we're focusing just on CWK exchange, I feel it might've been better if the feedback is more narrowly focused on just CWK? Right now, I personally feel like there's a lot of noise from the questions themselves. Even if we get a data set, it would be hard to see if its specifically to how classes are in CWK exchange or a general view of the classes.

I didn't disagree with the use of the likert scale, in fact, I'm asking for the likert scale to be used on the very last page too with the "should be nerfed" and "should be buffed". That way we can get a better understanding on the DEGREE the community wants things changed.

I was just saying that a using it where 1 is unbalanced and 7 is balanced, makes it hard to gauge what a 4 would be. So potentially changing it around to 1 being "too weak", 4 being "balanced", and 7 being "too strong" would lead to a more informative data set. While its not a research paper, more in-depth data makes it easier for the community and the balance team to better interpret things. Rather than having to decide ourselves that a "1" for a bowmaster was "too weak" when the respondent actually meant "too strong".

I don't mean any disrespect for the work you did, and I think surveys like these provide lots of insight for how the community feels, such as the one that was uploaded onto the forums last year was. I was simply suggesting a few ways to make the survey & the resulting data set more informative and objective, since it seemed like a few other users were also concerned about how things were worded.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. xadra

xadra Capt. Latanica

Jun 6, 2017
    Male
    5:17 AM
    Adra
    Paladin
    Divide
    I agree with Nise on the Linkert scale; should've been more like

1- very weak
    2- noticeably weak
    3- slightly underwhelming
    4- balanced
    5- slightly overpowered
    6- noticeably overpowered
    7- overwhelmingly overpowered

As is, let's say I wanna rate Paladin and Nightlord both a '2' to say that they are both imbalanced for bossing. Clearly they are both on very different ends of the spectrum.

In any case, nice initiative and I look forward to seeing the data

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    I think evaluating the degree is problematic due differences. A general guideline will be to bin the responses into 3: negative, neutral and positive.

5. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    11:17 PM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    A good questionnaire informs the reader/respondent of the goal of the questionnaire and the intended purpose for the results. This is clear from your post. Additionally, a good questionnaire leaves little ambiguity and has clear, consistent and complete questions and answer-options. I don't see this in the survey.

Rest of my critique and whatever below. Don't take it too seriously, I'm procrastinating from my work as a teacher in research methods and statistics, by... doing... ??? exactly that?

Qsort analysis kinda sucks tho.
    I'd argue with any sample size < 100 with these questions, we won't get too much info. OpOp be aware that you need to think about the dimensionality of your data. You use a variety of different measurement levels which won't do you any good in the analysis. Likert scales with 7 categories or more can generally be treated as numerical, which makes it easy. I'd argue the needs nerf/good where they are/needs buff categories could be treated as either nominal or ordinal, which makes this a bit strange. I agree with most of what Nise posted as well. Likert scales are very useful for self-report data to adhere to some kind of undisclosed structure. Your analysis should show whether there's any merit to it.

Overall though...
    The entire questionnaire is kinda... :( it's in the same vein as a certain user who just starts typing a stupidly toxic complaining post about events and then posts it without putting additional thought into it. I don't think your post is stupid, toxic, stupidly toxic, or complaining. I do think the questionnaire could use more work. Your analysis is only as good as your data is. In the current situation, there's a very real possibility that the data is trash and will make understanding your results hard. (This is somewhat prematurely)

The main thing that makes research and analysis a worthwhile and enjoyable experience is a thought out process that ensures quality responses. Your intention was well, but I fear for the results. Especially as people will try to see them as truth in a way, while the quality of these results is going to be questionable at best.

• Useful Useful x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    joota

joota Mr. Anchor Retired Staff

Jul 13, 2019
    Buccaneer
    Freelancer
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
  7. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    While I understand the frustration about receiving criticism for something that was clearly done with the best of intentions (as has been acknowledged by virtually everyone giving criticism), all of the criticism was strictly constructive.
    It's not like someone went "lmao idiot this survey SUCKS"

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Can't even gather random info without people writing their dissertations on methodology sadge

Thread turned into something it was never intended to be. Rulers are good for both measuring and slapping hands I guess.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. randomhs

randomhs Timer

May 25, 2020
    5:17 PM
    randomHS
    Oyasumi
    a quick link for those who don't appreciate the effort people put into this community

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/guide-how-to-apologize.41243/

I really hope you (and others) don't feel too discouraged by some of the responses in this thread. It's honestly really sad and a shame how this one ended because I really enjoy content created by players or staff that encourage and promote the activity and growth of the community. Likewise, I also enjoy reading responses from other players, whether it be constructive or a joke/meme. But some people need to understand how to leave a comment or criticism without sounding ungrateful, or even a straight up dick. Unless it's intentional... then by all means, carry on and farm your funn— I mean friendlys SlimeWink

I think it's best to give some people the benefit of the doubt, and simply say everyone who left a comment is very passionate about MapleLegends. I'm no expert at the topic at hand, but I can see the validity in the some of the points left by others. Maybe in the future there can be some sort of collaborative effort, especially from those that want to see or expect a flawless product right out of the gate.

• Friendly Friendly x 7
  10. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    But that's exactly what this was. The product had possible improvements, these were pointed out by people. Nobody in the thread was being remotely ungrateful or unfriendly about it.

Not being able to deal with criticism is something entirely different than the criticism being flawed.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    It seems like the issue the OP takes is that they wanted to deliver a finalized product. And when already put out there, it's annoying to go back, fix it, and distribute again.

But that's on the author, and not on us. Most, if not all, feedback was friendly, constructive, informative. Yes it sucks to hear that what you thought of and worked on isn't sufficient. But that could be a conclusion. And if that is the conclusion, it's not your effort that's criticized. It's the lack of collaboration or thought put in (either, or both).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Pepper

Pepper Wolfspider

Sep 3, 2020
    Female
    Peppermint
    Bowmaster
    I would still like to know the results of your data analysis if you wouldn't mind giving them to the people who took your survey but didn't comment. It kind sucks to take time to do it and then never really find out the results. I tried clicking the link you posted above and it just says that the survey is closed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. randomhs

randomhs Timer

May 25, 2020
    randomHS
    Oyasumi
    Maybe it's just a matter of expectation and perspective. If you summarize it like that, then sure I agree. However, some posts were nitpicking at the near extremities of the survey, when all I saw was a lighthearted, casual check on how the players felt about the game. Also, claiming or inferring that the OP put no thought into their work is nothing short of "ungrateful or unfriendly".

Being able to accept critique is much easier than dealing with criticism.

14. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Who wants to nerf dark knights. MapleF3_Origin

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Trion

Trion Capt. Latanica

Jul 23, 2019
    Trion
    Beginner
    Didn't have a chance to fill out the survey but I looked at the responses. I appreciated the effort at least. It was an interesting snapshot for sure, I hope Pulse checks are done in future. (Even though forum doesn't really represent playerbase)

16. Lin

Lin Headless Horseman

Feb 27, 2017
    Male
    Singapore
    Linny,BangHero,Carbide
    Paladin
    Bonk
    This is good stats, thanks for making this survey!