1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

The buff Paladins need

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by BananaPie, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    11:47 AM
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    I already said I stand corrected on this. I do apologize further for making this assumption.

I can't say for sure, but I don't think you're right on this. I'm not gonna claim I know entirely how boss aggro is drawn outside of hitting kb threshold, but even WHEN hitting kb threshold on bean, the aggro doesn't always shift. Snipe only sometimes shifts the aggro, for example. From my experience (including bean), I always felt like higher single-line attacks always reliably captured aggro better. This is why I brought this up.

Let's say an avg night lord's single target dpm is 10m. Theoretical no-dr body is gonna be 5m dpm.
    I don't know many archmages, even WAY high level, that are able to output 5m dpm with just CL / para.
    There is 0 reason to take in a class with no avoid, surviveability or party contribution to bean just so that they would do "kinda comparable at best" dmg to the body, and HALF to the rest of the fight.

Good. There already is so little content to do as an actual bishop player with how muled this class is. I really don't want to expect a bishop player to have to hard-wash and grind to 190 JUST to be able to do the one piece of content besides maybe HT when a bishop HAS to be an active part at.

There's also always going to be the higher-level-more-washed-hp thing to bishops wanting to PB anyway.

I wanna just bring up again before my posts end up looking like an intentional thread-hijack to start boo-hooing about my class that I AM in favor of a pali buff for PB. I can't confidently say how / to what exactly, but I very much agree with this sentiment.

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  2. S_tieralbum

S_tieralbum Brown Teddy

Jul 17, 2021
    6:47 PM
    Dragon Knight
    I agree. Kind of strange for HH to have been nerfed if Paladin isn't meant to perform as a single target attacker either. +1

3. Cerulean

Cerulean Brown Teddy

Apr 13, 2020
    Male
    3:47 AM
    I strongly disagree with this. If you believe that bishops are lacking in "actual" bossing content, why would you be in favor of keeping PB as a state of uninvolved and lackluster (gameplay-wise) content for bishops?

In all honesty, the whole "oh but bishops have to res, dispel, whatever in PB!" arguments are kind of silly. The real difficulty in PB comes from optimizing your damage output throughout the run, and this is where differences in player skill (as well as gear, funding, levels) can actually matter. Bishops are pretty much completely absent from this, as even the strongest bishops will be dealing negligible damage in PB.

How is it a good thing that, in the most difficult end-game boss in ML, a low level 16x bishop can pretty much perform at the same level as an end-game 200 bishop with perfect gear? Bishops should be incentivized to progress through the game by upgrading their gear and leveling just like other classes. Unfortunately the current state of PB for bishops, and also combined with the HT meta now heavily favoring single-target DPS again, has really been having the opposite effect.

4. Edann

Edann Slimy Retired Staff

Oct 24, 2020
    Edann
    I/L Arch Mage
    Pasta
    Man CeruleanCerulean it's a GREAT point, and I really do believe dmg optimization is the most engaging part of end game meta, so I feel you on that, and I hope there's ways to incorporate more active bishopping in bosses (partly why I love the new dunas changes, btw). However this is a much larger issue and really isn't related to PB, and removing holy resist does NOT solve it - especially not on the perfect gear part progress part as a 180+ mage is gonna have almost ALL of their dmg come from their level, and not from gear. I don't think removing holy resist is gonna go a long way for making bishops more viable to main on the larger scheme, and instead kinda just gives the party pretty much free dmg slots while expeditions already are way within clear-able range. You are essentially adding like 3-4m dpm on body from an otherwise dmg-less slot. The effect this will have on runs is HUGE.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. xiaoyaoz

xiaoyaoz Balance Team Staff Member Balance Team

Jul 17, 2020
    Male
    9:47 AM
    Not sure why are you so against giving bishop the ability to do the little damage to Pink Bean?
    If bishop is not as busy as what you have already said with party management/ressing/shield/dispel and whatsoever, they wouldn't even add much damage when holy resistance is removed.
    Besides, the whole post itself is talking about helping pally at pink bean specifically to regain their class identity and you gotta say 'this is a much larger issue and really isn't related to PB' sounds like digress-ing from the main post itself.
    Removing holy resistance is simply just the easiest and quickest way to remedy pally position in Pink Bean with the least impact to any other things.
    Changing anything else to pally will directly or indirectly change so many other stuff that staffs have to consider which will take a much longer time while changing holy resistance for PB only buff pally and bishop positions in PB.
    Is it really that consequential if bishops are able to add 1-2m dpm each to PB?

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    4:47 AM
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    You should add another dmg comparison of pally vs hero with holy resistance removed on the bean. Just rough calculation assuming Holy charge = 185% and Thunder charge = 150% means Pally should do 1.15x the dmg of heroes in body phase (7.24m vs 6.49 dpm). Seems pretty acceptable. Curious how it all lines up with other jobs.

7. RegalStar

RegalStar Nightshadow

Sep 23, 2019
    Male
    4:47 AM
    DMsRebirth
    [​IMG]

The idea of removing holy resistance would make free damage slots out of bishops is absurd. This is the kind of dpm obtained by the strongest bishop in the server, and doubling it would give an increase of 1m. For most run-of-the-mill bishops out there one can expect an increase of maybe like 750k-800k per bishop at most. Granted, this figure was on wizard elixir rather than cheese, but even with cheese it would've only been increased by a factor of ~1.12x. (Anyone who tried to say JigaJuice gets a Big Bang in the head)

In the same vein, arguing that removing holy resistance would take away relative viability of Archmages is also absurd. Even if you double this number (and then add another 12% on it), the figure falls far from any reasonable attacker class, Archmage included, and lowering it to the standards of standard bishop instead of untrue would making it fall even farther. These would simply still not be acceptable numbers for attackers, and any runs that are comfortable with the number of bishops they're bringing currently would have no reason to include more bishops just because they can hit with the force of two BB guns instead of one.

With that said, the viability of archmages has zero to do with the point of this thread (which is the viability of paladins) and should not merit any argument as long as people are still trying to stay on topic.

• Agree Agree x 8
  8. Nise

Nise Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Jul 5, 2017
    Male
    Korea
    5:47 PM
    NoraONE
    Corsair
    Sweetdreams
    I won't be commenting directly on OP's suggestion, but I'll be chiming in on some other ideas/thoughts that were raised in replies~

If you mean increasing blast %, a thing we'd have to consider is that you'd be bumping up the damage at ele-weak bosses as well
    (Eg) Blast 600% and then fire charge 175% and then ele-weak does a 1.5 = 1575% dmg to something like scar
    (Eg) Blast 620% and then fire, and ele weak = 1627.5% dmg to something like scar

As mentioned by pallies in various threads, the way I understand it, their current position at the ele-weak bosses isn't an issue, it's more so at ele-neutral bosses (which also sometimes happens to be cleave, which would then exacerbate their underwhelmingness).

If you mean actual mastery increase sort of like what we did for buccs, the reason we were able to do it was because we pushed it onto a passive. Passives that include mastery bonuses are active all the time, sort of like how DKs permanently have mastery increase with beholder (without having it out). That said, I'm not sure how it work with an active damaging skill like blast. It might perhaps be includable with the charge itself? Though, if it would be overwritten once you have another charge or stacked additively with other charges is something I just have no clue about.

I believe resistances, much like elemental weakness should be counted afterwards. So if on a neutral mob you deal like 100k with crit:
    [Ele-Weak Mob] 100k * 1.5 = 150k
    [Ele-Resist Mob] 100k * 0.5 = 50k

Physical damage is treated like an element for PB, so the same calculations apply. So you're right in doing crit damage BEFORE PDR.

Time to nerd out on PB aggro mechanics, which I sometimes do on twitch.tv/nisseone ;) (sorry for shameless plug) LOL

[Note: this isn't 100% credible information, it's something I've just pieced together with data here and there, as well as personal experience hosting PB]

Everything in the PB boss fight has auto-aggro, which means that once you're within its aggro range it should focus on the first person in its line of sight, with the aggro refreshing every few seconds.

What knockback does, is simply make it face the direction it was KBed from (flinch animation). After the flinch animation is over, the aggro target should be the first person in its line of sight. In order to KB, you need:
    • Pink Bean to NOT be locked in an animation (eg. casting skills)
    • Pink Bean to NOT have been KBed recently (eg. this is why can't just have 30 MMs sniping and just have PB permanently flinched)
    • An attack which satisfies one of the following:
      • Dmg value surpasses the KB threshold (140k for PB)
      • Has built-in KB (barrage, rush, snatch)
    The reason snipe only sometimes causes the flinch animation is most likely because PB was mid-animation or it had been KBed recently. In the case it does cause the flinch animation, all it does is reset the aggro to whoever it faces first. This should be why if a MM snipes, causes the flinch animation, and gets super knockbacked to the far right, PB doesn't just gun straight towards the MM and run over everyone on its way.

Higher single-line attacks should have no bearing on aggro unless it passes the KB threshold. Other bosses and mobs probably feel this way because their KB values are lower. Example would be something like Nameless where hitting above the 50k KBs it, so a single high hitting attack is ideal compared to let's say a NL with multiple smaller lines.

I mean it's the game that defined Pally as a single target DPS. Literally everything about its kit besides HH is made to be single target :p

• Great Work Great Work x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    BananaPie

BananaPie Selkie Jr.

Dec 22, 2019
    Male
    9:47 AM
    just in relation to the first point. When putting together this thread I had a long thing about how paladins perform in content in this game. I’ve done every content that’s doable by a paladin numerous times and when I think about how we perform in everything with the exception of pink bean I think we’re fine.

CwK we may be delegated to cleave but it’s not like we can’t cleave. Less ideal than hero/drk sure but we still can cleave a decent amount.

In HT just last week I did a 8.3m dpm 45 while being on the right side for the first 30mins of the fight. As a single target attacker after these cancel changes that’s decent I feel. There are small tweaks I feel that can be made like increasing the vertical hitbox on the mid head but that’s in a separate thread.

So the premise of the suggestion here was to suggest a solution that wouldn’t implicate the paladin’s performance elsewhere in the game whether positively or negatively because I don’t see any real reason why there needs to be one elsewhere.

a change to blast, mastery etc will have implications elsewhere so I stayed away from that. And the only thing I feel that can improve performance without affecting performance elsewhere is the removal of holy resistance.

• Like Like x 2
  10. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    1:47 AM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    What if ACB was a magic attack?

11. wanpi12456

wanpi12456 Timer

May 19, 2019
    Male
    Taiwan
    4:47 PM
    PrEP
    Paladin
    Beaters
    Thank you NiseNise very much for confirming this information. <3
    ---
    I'm sorry ... my previous words will mislead people.
    It is MS design how the pally is (melee single target DPS).
    ---
    Before talking about theoretically dpm, all of us should be very careful about how the dpm should be calculated.
    Details here.

Hypothesis:
    1. If I didn't make any mistake about calculating dpm below.
    2. gear used in data here.
    3. Physical damage is treated like an element for PB, so the same calculations apply.
    4. Without DR.

Result:
    If holy resistance removed on the pb body,
    perfect gear pally use claymore + blast (holy charge) + SI + SE + Echo + Apple
    perfect gear hero use claymore + brandish (ACA) + SI + SE + Echo + Apple
    ----> It (pb body) becomes same as Solomon (but 1/2 of dpm).
    With the data I calculated last night, It shows me that :
    pally dpm = 7,202,813
    hero dpm = 6,492,678
    pally dpm = 1.109x hero dpm

Something that I'm not 100% sure about :
    1. How PDR works ?

2. In Nise's Formula Compilation shows that PDR is calculated in Step 2.
    3. But SE is calculated in Step 5.
    4. Where is the mob's element calculated at? (Which Step?)
    I'm saying how does the element (or PDR) multiply the output number.
    For example: pally (with SE/Echo/Apple) blast/fire charge on scar.

12. Magen

Magen Selkie Jr.

Mar 31, 2020
    Male
    bishopmage
    Cleric
    active
    I really support the idea that Paladin should do good damage in pink bean and in any other boss in game. I'm also fully support on make things that make melee classes (all of them) more viable to single target bosses- so we can have everyone in every boss (bottom line R>range and not R>attacker.. is annoying to see).
    I believe comparing Paladin to Hero not gonna lead you anywhere as good as you wish for paladin position in-game or in PB.
    for example, lets say Hero will do less damage in all game boss-battles than paladin, will it satisfy you ?
    I think the honest and right answer for this will be - OFC NOT.
    So why in the beginning you comparing hero to paladin (what about DK?)?
    your opinion is- hero (as its in maplelegends) is only cleave class, so it should do less damage than paly, but its still not making the comparation leading to a good state for paladins, its just not but indirectly defame Hero class.
    off topic but relate for what some of you say-
    saying Paladin can't cleave is just not true, meaning -
    V- can 7f
    V- can 5-6f
    V- can NTPQ
    V-can CWKPQ (duo paladin can kill CWKPQ bosses as good as heroes)
    the point is - saying Paladin is a single target class without cleaving ability is miss-leading and just not true.
    sure Hero can cleave, but does it say that Hero cant participate in single target bosses (which is almost all bosses in game- which is also HT for after last patch with the annoying cancels)
    so after all, Paladin CAN cleave, the only thing heroes cleave much better than paly is HT heads (before the last patch)
    point to think about -
    Paladin is kinda all in 1 class while Hero/DK is only cleaving, thinking of ability and utilities -> paladin has a huge advantage over DK / Hero almost in any aspect.
    DK/Hero only advantage over Paladin in 7f (lets say this advantage comes to 5 to 10m EPH).
    thinking of DK vs Hero - DK can buff hb (the most important buff in game), Hero can't which means Hero is a pure attacker which should get love (as utilities) in bosses to be welcome to them.

TL;DR - buff whatever Paladin needs, but stop comparing it to Hero its leading no where. Hero viability in bosses is already doubtful.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. SaviorSword

SaviorSword Dark Stone Golem

Feb 9, 2020
    Male
    Aiur
    3:47 AM
    SaviorSword
    Paladin
    Bonfire
    As far as I know, the other Skills that have different Mastery separate(?) from other Mastery within the class are Meso Explosion and most Magician Skills (Like Magic Claw). So I was lead to believe that Active Attack Skills can have it's own Mastery.

I'm surprise'd ya'd actually look into my suggestion here!

14. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    4:47 PM
    dont bring bsps into the argument. they are a dead class the moment SI didnt work on mages.

• Friendly Friendly x 3