1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

White scroll

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by umaga, Jun 27, 2021.

1. Cerulean

Cerulean Brown Teddy

Apr 13, 2020
    Male
    12:11 AM
    The problem is not even so much that they are being hoarded to "sell later for higher" -- it is that they are being hoarded and not sold, but rather kept as a speculative asset/store of value, which keeps the price rising.

Once players realize how much they are losing out by not having WS (since raw meso becomes worth less and less), they too try to buy WS even if they don't have any intent on using it, not so much out of selfishness but out of necessity. With current price trends, if you choose to keep 1b in raw meso rather than buying WS or CS with the meso you are probably losing out on over 5m/day. So this drives up demand for WS and further pushes up the price.

Personally, I am pretty interested in whether or not staff deems this a large enough problem to intervene. There are obviously some ways to completely eliminate WS as an asset that people can speculate on, but is it worth taking action on, or better to just let the market continue as is?

My personal opinion: this is not healthy for the server long-term because those who gain the most are players who already hold large stashes of WS or items denominated in WS (i.e. "old, rich" players), while new players are hugely disadvantaged because of how unaffordable things become.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Selquin

Selquin Headless Horseman

May 28, 2018
    11:11 PM
    Serperior
    Bowmaster, Night Lord, Buccaneer
    Pasta
  3. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    1:11 PM
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    Multiclienting consequences. Sad truth.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    6:11 AM
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    you could always introduce an expiration date on ws and cs. That way hoarding becomes a short-term investment with much more risk, meaning people are less likely to do it

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. drboo32

drboo32 Orange Mushroom

Aug 16, 2019
    Male
    Boofoo
    Spearman, I/L Wizard
    I wonder how many players are just not very actively playing, and might as well just hold on to a few. Real world people need to offload their assets slowly to survive. In game People just need to get / buy a few WS and sit around to make money. No obligation to burn through them.

quoting cerulean: it is that they are being hoarded and notsold, but rather kept as a speculative asset/store of value, which keeps the price rising.

I literally have to not even decide anything, and do nothing, to watch my WS supply increase in value. From an investment side it’s an easy win. No action taken -> low risk easy gains.

I could take it further and actually buy a few more WS with the mesos on hand. And expect my returns to increase 2-3x

but I’m (?innocently) banking on the hope that WS prices will one day go down.

6. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    The risk would be next patch where ws/cs expire and now they suddenly have >25% of their current value.

7. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Apologize for calling it selfish, which I guess is a bit of a rude word to use. At the end of the day, those people that buy and re-sell for more are merching, which is something that is being done for years. I am just saying that those that are actively doing that right now with CS/WS, even though yes it could be a smart or logical thing to do since it creates a benefit for you, is one of the causes the prices have been going up lately because it creates a lack of supply for those that actually need them. There are people out there right now that has so many cs/ws 'stored' right now, that I highly doubt it's for them to 'use' later, but rather an insane amount of reselling.

At the end of the day this server, which already is older than the whole existence of MapleStory pre-bb has its flaws, and the only thing we can do is think of ideas to go over those, which hopefully help to solve the current going problem with the prices that are constantly pricing, such as the planned changes for the summer as a start.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  8. ma3ohma3

ma3ohma3 Chronos

Mar 5, 2021
    therefore the points system thru bossing will squash this phenomenon.

9. Diziple

Diziple Pac Pinky

Jun 23, 2017
    Male
    HappyGuY
    Dragon Knight
    None
    What goes up will eventually come down

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. ryanlights

ryanlights Windraider

Jan 2, 2021
    Male
    Toronto, Canada
    1:11 AM
    Dark Knight, Bowmaster
    Prestigious
    I think the Staff had a good idea going when with the most recent patch introduced CWK exchange.

Problem is, no one is doing it.

Solution: Make badges tradable.

Imagine going to the FM and being able to easily purchase badges instead of spending hours grinding them and all for some bad reward? At least with more accessible badges the players who choose to gamble with the exchange can do so more frequently. Which in-turn will stimulate the economy by giving players another grind/farm map (badges), and can sell them over-time. Long term what will happen is it'll help produce more white scrolls into the game without boosting the value (due to being even more accessible).

I can see White Scrolls hitting 100-150mill market value with this simple change, over 6-10months.

It'll also be a nice QOL change for people needing badges for CWKPQ questline.

• Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    8:11 AM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    I agree with you that the CWK exchange is a good idea, the problem is is that no one is doing it because the reward quality and quantity are BAD. If you just farm ulu2 with 1 mage you'll make more money and gach and have a better chance getting more WS than actually doing the exchange (and arguably less engaging and more braindead than farming badges). I like that the badges are untradeable personally, but I do wish that rewards are improved. The 5m can become a 6m. Arc weapons can NPC for 2x the price and a newer reward with the same tier/chance as a BF that is in similar price range, maybe a Yellow Marker (since gloves are at insane prices too). Even with announced changes to both mesogear rings and subani ankh, the exchange feels underwhelming for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  12. yurain

yurain Windraider

Dec 30, 2019
    YUrain
    I/L Wizard
    In regardsd to the "close to 4 digits of WS on server".

There is literally no incentive or reason to sell a WS.
    Especially if you a late(r) game player, you will probably want to save that WS for a future perf weapon.
    Doesn't matter you have 2 WS or 20 WS, you might not even have a perf weapon in the first place.
    But just because you think you maybe going to need that WS in the future, you won't sell it.

• Agree Agree x 5
  13. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    10:11 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Also while we're at it, please remove Purple capes from the list of yellow text items. It lowers the supply of ws/cs generated and nobody actually uses the cape at all. It's basically NPC fodder.

• Agree Agree x 11
  14. Toon

Toon Capt. Latanica

May 22, 2020
    Male
    Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
    2:11 AM
    Toon
    Marksman
    Pasta
  15. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    All dots are connected
    upload_2021-8-12_20-39-7.png

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  16. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    Feeed
    Corsair
    WS/CS Expiry Gang

Use 'em (/circulate them) or lose 'em

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. FCOArlo

FCOArlo Master Chronos

Apr 25, 2020
    USA
    Wyman | Salladhor
    Dark Knight
    Katsu
    I'm not econ major but it seems like there are two groups of WS collectors

1. Actively looking to use, on weapon, glove, w/e. May be "hoarding" WS but only to use multiple at a time.
    2. People using WS as a speculative asset.

With current speculation, people magestory-ing to the max, some belief that botters may be abusing private dungeons, mesos lose value so more people should begin to use WS/CS as a financial instrument. Is there any consideration for a player to get an untradeable WS/CS(I do not mean turn ALL WS/CS untradeable.), and only allow it to be used on an item that can be equipped. This would allow players trying to scroll their own items an opportunity to do so while not having to compete with the investors. Yes, some people would inevitably just sell their untradeable WS/CS as a service, but this would probably be beneficial as it would create some competition for it to actually be sold instead of held. Personally, expiry dates might be too radical of a change, especially with ebbs and flows of active players. I know it's hard to find a balance between these items causing massive power creep from easier accessibility and causing people to grind 100's of hours to not even finish an item, but I'm glad the staff are looking at different ways to circumvent this.

18. Lumina

Lumina Master Chronos

Jul 31, 2017
    Female
    NYC
    Night Lord
    BanStrike-1
    We all know the real purchasers of these 250mil ws do not read the forums OnionCrazy

• Great Work Great Work x 2
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    10:11 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    As for white scroll expiry, wouldn't a more elegant solution be to reclass existing white scrolls as Legacy White Scrolls that do not expire, and thereafter, any regular white scroll that gets generated can have an expiration of ~3 months?

This would resolve several problems:
    • White scrolls that inactive players are currently holding do not disappear. They can be later sold for a higher price than expiring white scrolls.
    • White scrolls being used as a tax-evasion currency will mostly be put to rest as the supply of legacy currency will eventually run dry as people consume them.
    • The average price of white scrolls will drop closer and closer to its utility value as those demanding white scrolls will be paying for its immediate use and nothing more.
    • Large ticket trades can still work through expiring white scrolls, but the seller of the item assumes much more risk and will eventually need to sell them off for either mesos (tax-incurred) or use the white scrolls themselves.

One 'downside' to this is that white scrolls would not be marketable in FM stores. However, I think this is a small inconvenience I'd be willing to accept, and it'd force a new niche market into action. Anybody who gains a white scroll and does not need it will need to utilize social avenues of marketing such as Discord's freemarket, smega service, or smega-ing themselves.

• Creative Creative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. KurayamiLove

KurayamiLove Skelegon

Mar 15, 2015
    Male
    Nautilus
    KurayamiLove/Nagrom/Amatista
    Buccaneer
    Halcyon
    This is why modern maple kinda has most of the upgrade system behind NPCs.

• Agree Agree x 2