1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Forum disagree reply functionality

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Myungsoo, Aug 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    5:45 PM
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    The disagree reply functionality can be used accordingly but more often than not it appears that people take a passive agressive approach and disagree everything someone says because it interferes with how they want to play Legends, which is fine but I personally think it is much better to express something than abuse this reply functionality.

Why is this a problem
    You could say something completely logical, and because of a previous comment you've made, players will still use this function. Instead of saying why they disagree, they make your post appear bad, which I feel is unecessary. Here's an example of something I said that just striked me when someone disagreed with the post.

Nothing I said in this post was incorrect, and perhaps you may call me arrogant but after 15+ years of Maplestory, I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything nonsensical.

upload_2021-8-20_11-7-56.png

You're free to use this function, that's fine. But this is a lazy way to say ''You're against this thread so I will disagree with everything you say''. Anyone who has played Legends for at least a year knows that what I said isn't incorrect by any means. Does overall STR offer benefits in some scenarios? Absolutely. Does overall armor for DEX like I said offer benefit? Also. Absolutely. I'm happy when people disagree and then take their time to give constructive feedback, but to say ''disagree'' without context doesn't help anybody.

The point
    Although for suggestions, much like this one, the disagree function can be great. But I genuinely think we're better off if we explain WHY we disagree with something. Because if we do not know WHY we disagree with something, how can we learn to improve? It's as good as an argument as Apple haters saying ''Apple bad Windows good''. Because there is no argument.

The solution
    I believe that the Disagree functionality is great exclusively for suggestion threads. Personally, I'd rather see it removed because we're missing out on quality conversation because of it. But I will not suggest that because it does have its charms in some scenarios. Renaming it 'Cancel culture'' seems more accurate but perhaps that doesn't make a friendly conversation. We still have a great comment functionality where you can explain why you disagree. That way we can all learn from each other.

• Disagree Disagree x 37
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Ratings in general are kind of useless for us as well. People also more often than not nowadays rate things and feedback threads just based on the amount of people that bashed on the button with no constructive reasons behind it. I've personally said it a few times myself already but we don't look at ratings when we look at feedback, but rather the replies, since those are actually useful.

This is pretty much also the reason why le funny reaction was removed because threads derailed left and right when it became a competition how many funny reactions your godawful post received.

• Like x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Useful x 1
  3. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    This seems like a fairly straightforward stance on forum ratings. Would it not be viable to remove forum ratings (except for maybe "like", cuz those have rankings already included in the forum)? Or do you believe the ratings keep replies manageable (because people might be less inclined to reply when they can already rate?)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. ahotbanana

ahotbanana Capt. Latanica Retired Staff

Sep 27, 2015
    Male
    UK
    4:45 PM
    The temptation to react with disagree to this is very very high, but I'll be good.

(I don't disagree, for the record)

• Like Like x 2
  5. OP
    OP
    Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    Saw that coming from miles away but I took the risk :oops:

6. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Even though I agree with your reasoning I kinda oppose this change of removing them.

In some discussions you don't really have anything to add when things are already said but it still allows you to express who you agree or disagree with. I'd rather get a lot of disagree on a comment I make so I can see the stance of the community a bit better instead of thinking I have a good idea. it makes me rethink my assessment of something instead of thinking I have the greatest idea ever.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Motto

Motto Skelegon

Jun 30, 2018
    Male
    Mars
    PogShad Motto
    Islander
    good to know tbh

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Chris

Chris Zakum Retired Staff

Jan 18, 2016
    Maple Island
    11:45 AM
    Christopher
    Islander
    Southperry
    Now the question is has there ever been a suggestion accepted that was disagreed into oblivion. :writing:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  9. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    im a weaker man than you

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
  10. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    8:45 AM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Counterpoint: The statement is nonsensical for any warrior or bucc in the mid to late game and beyond. If you have a desperate need for accuracy as a warrior you've probably scuffed the rest of your gear as I've found I can shave significant portions of it off without coming across any problems, and that's with minimal investment into accuracy. Something would have to go terribly wrong for a warrior to forgo 4+ levels of str for a dex overall.

Dex overall on bucc is also a poor choice given the numerous dex stacking options. Let's say you get 35 on a hat, 10 from shoes, 15 from rings, 7 from MoN, 10 from earring, 8 from face accessory, and 5 from eyes. After 20 base this puts you at 110 dex without wearing a dex overall, so the only reasonable option for a late game bucc is to wear a strength overall.

There's also this statement that almost sounds like a bowman should wear a strength overall, or that it might be better in some way. It's not, but I'm too lazy to find the Selquin copypasta to explain why.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    6:45 PM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    • Like Like x 6
    • Great Work Great Work x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    The post makes it look like I was the initial disagree on that post, but I wasnt (dont worry, I went back and fixed that). Back at the topic at hand, both posts *were* extremely nonsensical. Warriors, outside of maybe ST/1h NT build, gets significantly more from STR overall than DEX overall. Additionally, the only time bucc really makes use of a dex overall is when starting out, before getting a dex helm/face/etc. Plus pirate top/bottom doesnt even exist, so there's that...

A disagree does just what it says on the label; expresses disagreement. It carries less weight than a text response, but a response could turn into much more of a committment to keep replying like a "debate" than simply pushing the red button. It's sometimes not worth the trouble.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    ''Extremely nonsensical''. We're speaking of roughly a 1~2% damage change as DEX also helps with that. But actually, you have proven my point. Thank you for this. Because, now I actually do understand your stance, and that is the purpose of this thread. You're speaking of min maxing. Because the ''significant'' change you're speaking of is min/maxing. Going from 30 DEX to 30 STR does help, which I already stated, much like how a warrior could go top / bottom instead.

I'm happy that you've clarified what you mean, although slightly off point. I now understand your POV, which otherwise I would not :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    And you have proven mine. It is simply not worth the time commitment dealing with you. In terms of average range, it takes 3.8 DEX to equal 1 STR (admittedly this value should be lower for classes with a lower main stat multiplier and lower mastery, but not significantly so). On average range, 30 DEX provides the exact same benefit as ~8 STR (rounded up to give you the benefit here). Now, with your mInMaX logic, we should just drop both the 30 STR and DEX altogether as it's a small boost, maybe even scroll a dex glove as well because its cheaper. But let's keep SOME sense of rationality here and center our discussion around other players who actually want characters that wont be laughed out of the server. Why would a bucc (since that's who the above number is for) STILL use oa dex 30 as opposed to oa STR 60? Passing an oa dex 30 gives 5 dex, or 1.3 str equivalent. Oa str 60 gives 2 str (or 2 str equivalent), and has both a better success rate and cost, to boot. Now, oa str 60 isnt your typical minmaxer scroll as you wont make anything valuable without 30s, but its SIGNIFICANTLY better than oa dex 30.

No, the purpose of this thread is that your feelings got hurt when somebody (quite literally a single person at the time of first post) gave you a disagree react, without giving a chance to double down on absurdity.

• Agree x 6
    • Friendly x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Great Work x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • Creative x 1
  16. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    12:45 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    If you want to be agreed heavily from all players and hope to avoid being disagreed, I think what you need to do is, polishing your suggestion moreover so your suggestion have enough power to convince everybody.

About being logical - it's big mistake to think himself logical because he spreaded tons of numbers and made a thread 'looks' classy. Even though he did perfect math and all the data supports his suggestion, it doesn't mean his suggestion should be agreed by everyone else. Also, I feel it's big arrogance to demand others time aswell to explain all they think if they disagree on suggester's opinion.

In short, we need to accept that every suggestion can be disagreed by any reasons. If you can't get it at all, rather than asking 'systemic blocking' others disagreements, I think we need to choose one of twos - try to convince them with more powerful convincing, or just mute ourselves.

EQ matters. IQ isn't everything.

Added :
    As who played this server quite a long, reason why i'm disagree on this is, not because your logic and numbers are wrong, but because i feel 'not enough strong need' for applying this. And making such dull guys like myself into fans of your suggetion, that's what we call 'convincing suggestion' which you need to try to make.

++ Even if whole community is fan of certain suggestion, kimmy wouldn't care af and she'll decide what to accept and what not to, by her own rules anw just as she claimed lol. Quester's ring when?

• Like Like x 3
  17. Chrisss

Chrisss Horny Mushroom

Oct 21, 2020
    Male
    2102 Top Floor of Roppongi Mall
    11:45 PM
    ChrisBS
    Bishop
    Rogue
    I agree that people should explain why they disagree with "certain" posts/statements, however if they refuse to give an explanation, it just means that you have to think for yourself on "why" people disagree with you.

To be honest here, your personal opinion does not matter if it doesn't benefit the community in general. I can personally suggest something like "Make Paladin's dispel Weapon/Magic Cancels at bosses" but at the end of the day it's up to the community/staff to decide on that matter.

If the Disagree functionality were removed, everyone would be agreeing with false information/statements that would not help us grow/progress in the game. It's like someone suggesting to remove Avoidability gain from Luk that removes the purpose of being a Thief and without the Disagree functionality, they are forced to agree with it like slaves. Hopefully you understand this. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Precel

Precel Zakum Retired Staff

Nov 13, 2018
    Male
    Precel
    Priest
    Spirit
    I believe this thread is biased. The reasoning for the suggestion can be used for "agree" reaction too, but why is it not proposed to remove it?

The reasoning is also flawed. Nobody should be pressed to explain why they agree or disagree or whatever. As much as you'd like people to talk, people can say "yes" or "no" and leave it at that and their opinion is as valid as yours. This is NOT an abuse as you suggest, it's a simplified way of communicating. Sure, I agree that it would be better for the discussion if they could explain their stance, but I don't think that's enough of a reason to remove the reaction. The reactions serve a purpose: it's a great tool to gauge the public interest and prevent duplicate postings. Furthermore, I personally find it useful when I just don't want to hold a conversation with someone argumentative or when I don't have time to write out a long message.

Correctness of your logic also does not matter. You could say 100% correct things, and I can still disagree with you if I don't like the suggestion. Consider this sentence: "I exercised today, and I am hungry, I want McDonald's so I should get some." It contains both truth and logic, but I can still say no and that is not wrong of me. No McDonald's for me, period.

Instead of removing disagree, I think it's better if you and others come to the forums, especially Suggestions, with the open mindset and prepare to accept disagreements. Suggestions are almost always subjective and you will likely meet some opposition. There is no need to find a disagree passive aggressive. All you need to do is understand that your suggestion is not perfect and move on. Bonus points if you can find flaws in your logic by yourself (which you should do before posting anyways).

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  19. UnknownCode

UnknownCode Nightshadow

Jun 6, 2021
    California
    8:45 AM
    Islander, Bishop, Bandit
    Speenies
    https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/long-farewell-post-very-sad-warning.41964/

The link above isn't a suggestion thread and I have no idea what happened there, but reactions do show for itself.

https://forum.maplelegends.com/index.php?threads/bring-back-funny-reaction.41260/

Another thing to note is, why was funny reaction removed? Asking for a friend.

20. Kimmy

Kimmy Administrator Staff Member Administrator Game Moderator

Sep 9, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Moderator Post
    Literally read first reply

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.