1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Accepted Buff mage's spellbooster skill speed

Discussion in 'Accepted' started by Jafel, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    5:22 PM
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    Hello,

Mage's spellbooster skill speed is incredibly slow. This interferes with normal gameplay and makes it a chore to cast in between. Especially at endgame leeching, farming, and grinding spots mages need all the Ult casting time real estate they can get. Having to cast a slow spell booster in between adds no value or identity to mages and is mostly a nuisance. Other classes' booster is much faster and less of a hassle.

lmk what you think in the comments below, or just use the agree or disagree reacts.

Bonus points if you can find a creative way to tell me and everyone on this wonderful server that mages suck.

• Agree Agree x 12
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    This will most likely be a controversial topic with comments claiming that mages are already OP etc.

However, I don't think Spell Booster is the reason for any of this and is not even needed to be cast at multimage farming due ot the 10 second time between ults.

As a mage main I sure am biased when it comes to my opinion but I see this as a welcome change which shouldn't do any harm. Even at bosses such as Nameless I'd have to time booster before it does an animation to keep it pinned properly.

Something similar has been suggested before so I don't expect much to come from it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    9:22 AM
    I/L Arch Mage
    What's worse is that the time the spell takes depends on whether you're on the ground or on a rope. If you're on a rope or ladder, the animation ends much more quickly. It makes the skill feel buggy and unfinished.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    So many I keep forgetting
    This is the case for virtually every buff in the game btw.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Daydreamer

Daydreamer Headless Horseman

Jul 8, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    It's certainly not as noticeable with weapon booster, meditation, or magic guard (for example) as it is with spell booster.

6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    I'd like to see a trade-off.
    Make booster animation shorter but have the skill cost 5k mp.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  7. OP
    OP
    Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    You're clearly making a mockery of this entire suggestion, seeing as spellbooster is a skill learned before any reasonable mage has 5k MP.

But a trade-off wouldn't be a bad idea. I just would like staff to think about this for a bit. Some aspects of characters belong to their gameplay and are beneficial to their class identity. However, extremely slow buffs (so, outside of the normal range of what is acceptable for a buff casting time) are detrimental to the complete playstyle, fun & identity of a class as these buffs (especially when it is a self-buff only). You could definitely multiply the casting costs by tenfold if that is what you like, but that won't really do anything. Besides being a tradeoff for the books.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Not really. A lvl 80 mage should have around 9k mp without having washed. I don't think 5k mp is a significant cost. It's literally just one mana bull and can be considered the mage equivalent of one summon rock for NLs shadow partner.

9. Huiae

Huiae Headless Horseman

Aug 1, 2015
    Female
    Seoul, Korea
    1:22 AM
    Verdict
    Bishop
    WeenieHutJrs
    No...... 9k is mp amount of lv.110~120 if you're unwashed, unfunded 1st character mage.

Even my heavily funded mage (so leveled with mw + 4b worth int gears) hit 11.2k mp narrowly when they hit lv.120 as unwashed.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    upload_2021-8-24_9-45-23.png

11. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    upload_2021-8-24_0-50-11.png
    Huh. I forgot I pumped stat into MP on my hs mule. Kek. I stand corrected.
    I'm still not joking, though. I think a high mana cost for booster for quality of life improvement on recast speed would be a fair tradeoff.
    With this change, booster can be seen as an extreme luxury for 3rd job I/L mages.
    Could maybe make the cost increase over the levels past 11. Increase duration and cast speed for a higher mana cost.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Myungsoo

Myungsoo Slimy

Apr 10, 2020
    Male
    Robinn
    Crossbowman
    Just so that I understand, all that you're proposing is the fluidity between your ultimate and other skills. So no update to the ultimates whatsoever such that your EPM would increase, correct? If that's the case, yes I am in favour of making mages less clunky.

Edit: I would also agree to buff bossing skills if that's an addition to the proposal. I don't see much reason not to have e.g. chain lightning as a good alternative for when let's say an attacker dies and you need to help down the boss.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Yes this would purely be a buff to the cast time of Spell Booster MyungsooMyungsoo ultimates stay exactly the same.

Having a trade off for such a buff past lvl 11 spell booster seems absolutely fair

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. SwordnBoard

SwordnBoard Selkie Jr.

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    4:22 PM
    SwordnBoard
    Paladin
    TeaDrinkers
    Well i think tha-

Nvm ill just sit this one out.
    647736382097195018.png

• Great Work Great Work x 3
  15. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    Be a real sweatlord and animation-cancel booster using cash shop transformation and a well timed damage ping

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    12:22 PM
    Feeed
    Corsair
    For the naysayers, this will save you ~1 second every few minutes. There's really no need to increase the mana cost. The overall "buff" to mages is seriously negligible.

The point is that Spell Booster just feels bad to use. It completely halts your momentum and feels like slamming into a brick wall.

There's precedent in making skill tweaks so that a class feels less clunky (e.g. Shadower Assassinate, Corsair Battleship, Bucc Skills) see here

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    12:22 PM
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    Holy symbol is another skill that feels long to cast. A lot of 3rd job skills ares like this in general.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. OP
    OP
    Jafel

Jafel Capt. Latanica

May 3, 2015
    Male
    KingSlime
    Outlaw
    Twice
    tbh I don't think all skills are problematic. With booster though, that is a difference as it is clearly problematic.

• Like Like x 1
  19. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    Why is booster cast time more problematic than holy symbol cast time?

20. Soblet

Soblet Zakum

Sep 14, 2015
    Soblet
    Bandit
    Pasta
    Meso guard, pickpocket and maple warrior are problematic too.