1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

My journey to soloing Vergamot as an unwashed night lord

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rapskal, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Rapskal

Rapskal Chronos

Nov 1, 2017
    Male
    3:25 PM
    Rapskal
    Night Lord
    Lost
    I was never especially interested in Vergamot, until one time about 5 months ago when I was trying to clear it on my buccaneer Edgedancer, and I was in a party with the pro player Nightz777Nightz777 . I thought it was really sick how he dodged all the seds and knew all the attacks, and I decided I wanted to be like him, so I set myself the challenge of soloing Vergamot.

Unfortunately, I don't love my bucc enough and I decided to do it on my night lord. My night lord never hp washed, but I'd heard a bunch of people on the forums say that Vergamot's attacks are all dodgeable, and theoretically anyone can fight it, so I figured with enough tries I'd eventually beat him. I watched some videos of vergamot and tried to learn his attacks, then I started my attempts.
    upload_2021-9-12_18-22-40.png

It didn't go very well, and after 5 days of dying to the same attack twice a day, I eventually looked into it and did some measuring. It turns out that Vergamot's minigun attack doesn't give any indication until about 500ms before the damage hits. Since triple throw's cast time is 600ms and average human reaction time is close to 200ms, this attack is undodgeable a significant amount of the time.

So it turns out everyone who claimed that all of Vergamot's attacks are dodgeable is a dirty liar. My little challenge was impossible (edit: I am a dirty liar) without bending the rules a bit. Luckily, every other attack is definitely dodgeable, with indications given more than a second before the damage hits. And the minigun attack has some limitations. It is used only at the beginning, with the minigun breaking as soon as the first body goes down. It also is pathetically weak, only doing up to about 10.8k damage (from my experiences). I figured I could use the chocolate basket I had saved from the valentines event to give myself HB for 1 hour, which with some HP from pet equips and event equips would get me to just above 11k hp. During the 1 hour I could hopefully kill the first body and be safe from the minigun. To me, the basket is basically like using a HB mule so it doesn't really count as soloing, but whatever.

Sadly, my game lagged and froze and I couldn't pot and died to like the second attack and my basket was gone. Then I realised I can just use GM buffs in the same way, if I'm ever online when they happen. Around that time, I didn't play ML for a while, but recently I came back and took up the challenge again, and finally today I was online during some GM buffs! After receiving them I went straight to Vergamot and started the battle. I also had gotten echo, but I'm already cheating a bit so who cares.

With the GM HB for 1 hour, I could survive the minigun, and also the cannons which was convenient because I got hit by them a bunch during the first body. I was scared I wasn't gonna beat the 1st body within my 60 minutes, so I started using energizers to up my damage a little bit. Turns out I may have worried needlessly, I had almost 10 minutes of HB left when the first body died.

10 minutes into the second body, my HB disappeared and the real challenge finally started. From then on, if I took any attack I would die. I started playing safer, giving myself extra time around the cannon attack to make absolutely sure I wouldn't get hit. But even then I messed up one time during the second body and the only thing that saved me was my avoidability giving me a lucky miss. For the next 20 minutes I ducked and dodged all the other attacks, and slowly beat the 2nd body. upload_2021-9-12_18-51-40.jpeg

The third body had a new attack that was unfamiliar to me, and I got hit and missed once more before I got the hang of it (the damage happens really late in the animation). After that, I got into a rhythm and it was actually pretty boring for a while. But it got more exciting towards the end when I thought I might actually make it! And I did! With some help from GM buffs and a lot of LUK, I finally soloed Vergamot :D
    upload_2021-9-12_19-10-36.jpeg

• Great Work Great Work x 29
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    7:25 AM
    So many I keep forgetting
    Fun story! This is the type of anecdotes I want to see more of on the forum :D

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Yeah the minigun isn’t reactable, but definitely dodgeable (just crouch until ur pt kills it). Sadly that’s a horrible strategy, but yeah washing is optional

4. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    This is kinda rough in a solo scenario tho :)

5. kalash

kalash Headless Horseman

Oct 18, 2016
    Male
    Kalash
    Night Lord
    Halcyon
    Oh yeah no definitely. Good luck poking it while crouching hahaha

You could use 1 atk between every one of his attacks, since he takes a bit of time between attacks. It’ll be a long ass run though

• Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  6. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    Great read and amazing dedication! Would love to run more with you at any time

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  7. Eighty

Eighty Windraider

Jun 19, 2018
    Male
    Nepal
    11:10 AM
    Hundred
    Marksman
    Colors
    Hi Rapskal! Interesting read :D

And F, our 2nd BPQ run that got robbed.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Feeed

Feeed Mr. Anchor

Aug 4, 2020
    Male
    1:25 AM
    Feeed
    Corsair
    Not sure if NLs can, but Archers and Sairs can stand far enough away from Verga to do damage while being completely out of range of the minigun attack (stand halfway between the far left wall and the anchor chain). No need to react to it at all :)

Congrats on the kill!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. fael

fael Nightshadow

Jun 8, 2020
    Male
    2:25 AM
    Fael
    Night Lord
    SURRA
    Cool!! Grats, man!
    I think you could wait for mini gun damage and hit it few times, because it takes a while between 2 attacks. Im curious to try that later hahah.
    But other thing I was wondering: did you try to hit a little bit more distant from it? Seems the stun attack from last body doesnt reach you if you are few passes from left of the rope, I don't know about mini gun's range!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Lynx

Lynx Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jan 13, 2020
    Male
    8:25 AM
    Beginner
    Haha great job!! was a fun read, thank you and mad respect!

11. iDKnoHB

iDKnoHB Blue Snail

Sep 18, 2020
    JustinUchiha
    Beginner, Camper
    Lost
    woooow grats Brendan !!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Mirrors

Mirrors Zakum Retired Staff

Jul 15, 2019
    Female
    10:25 PM
    Mirrors
    WeenieHutJrs
    Congratulations this is awesome!! You should be proud of such an achievement and it makes me think we should have more bosses with play styles likes this lol

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. iPippy

iPippy Nightshadow

May 19, 2019
    Male
    iPippy
    NL should have same range as the others and can definitely outrange the minigun. Worth noting that the minigun actually extends the hitbox on verga B1, so you can stand even further back than you might think.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Lynx

Lynx Dark Stone Golem Retired Staff

Jan 13, 2020
    Male
    8:25 AM
    Beginner
    For sure, its kinda sad that there are almost no mechanics that can be played around.
    Its pretty much only Seduce skill and Verga, everything else is just tank it or get 1 shot.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ainz

Ainz Zakum

May 2, 2015
    Male
    Netherlands
    Is the reason for the current absence of bosses with a (mechanical) 'skill-gap' mostly caused by the fact that v62 may or may not struggle with dodgeable attacks? Things like GMS Magnus come to mind with falling projectiles etc. I would assume this is not something that the v62 client can reproduce.

Alternatively, the reason could just be that the content that does rely on mechanics such as dodging simply doesn't fit within the zeitgeist of a nostalgic server like this.

16. Jaewonnie

Jaewonnie Capt. Latanica

Apr 21, 2020
    Crimsonwood Mountain: Cavern of Pain
    PAWGChamp
    Buccaneer
    You can tp/fj out of range of Jr. Balrog attacks :^)

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    mages have quite a few attacks/spells they can play around with some examples being Dunas dispel which can be dodged by tp'ing out of range quickly or Nameless Claw & Stun by tp'ing into the body or out of range

18. OP
    OP
    Rapskal

Rapskal Chronos

Nov 1, 2017
    Male
    3:25 PM
    Rapskal
    Night Lord
    Lost
    lol yikes I never even tried to outrange it. Welp that's a little embarrassing, thanks for the information though. May have to edit the post and take back calling everyone a liar haha