1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Medium Alliance Bug Crashes Game for Any Guildmember

Discussion in 'Report Bugs' started by Hanger, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Hanger

Hanger Orange Mushroom

Mar 27, 2021
    Male
    Malaysia
    11:02 AM
    Permanovice
    Beginner
    GangGang
    Description of the bug: (optional screenshot/video): Alliance tab crashes game upon selecting it either by clicking on it or using [tab] to get to the screen.

Related bug test video: https://youtu.be/8IEhZE-ibvk
    What is supposed to happen?: Alliance tab should be accessible. However now, any guild member or character from both Chroma and GangGang that tries to enter the alliance screen immediately has their game crashed. The screen cannot be accessed, we cannot disband our current alliance since neither of us are registered as Alliance Leader, and neither of us can make a new alliance as it says that both of our guilds are already allied with another guild. So, we are stuck in limbo.
    Where did you find and/or notice this bug?: Chroma handed over Alliance Leadership to GangGang, i.e. me. They also subsequently made Noble the new Chroma leader on the same day. I somehow "super"promoted Noble(with an i) to Alliance Master by using the Title Up function button, while still being Alliance Master myself (usually what happens is that you can only increase the rank of someone to less than Jr. if they're not a Guild Master in the alliance, and you can't change the rank of other Guild Masters from Jr.). I did not use the Alliance Leader function button at the time, just Title Up. At that point, the alliance listed both Noble and myself (Permanovice) as Alliance Masters. Noble handed Alliance Master back to me again, and while I still had the option of clicking on the Alliance Leader button, nothing was working. I relogged, tabbed to the alliance screen, and crash. Tried it multiple times before I realised what was going on.
    A step-by-step guide to re-producing this bug (optional):
    1. Enter the Alliance Screen. Do not close this screen.
    2. Select the person you want to promote, e.g. Alex.
    3. Get the allied guild to transfer guild leadership to Alex.
    4. When the allied guild transfers leadership, you should still see the old ally guild master as having the Jr. role in the alliance (because the alliance screen is not refreshed). When they tell you that the leadership transfer is confirmed, promote Alex.
    5. There shouldn't be a gradual increase in rank. It should automatically promote Alex to Alliance Master - a position that is now shared with you because you never actually transferred alliance leadership.
    6. Get Alex to transfer Alliance leadership back to you, and you will now be stuck in a bug where from both of you being Alliance Master, now there is no longer an Alliance Masters at all.
    7. Close the screen or Relog, and find your way back to the alliance screen, your game will crash.
    Extra information (optional):
    My theory is that since I used title up on an unrefreshed screen, the title up on Noble only worked because on MY screen, he was not a Jr. But in the game logs, he is a Jr. So titling up a Jr., makes them a Master. So, titling Noble up at the same time leadership was passed over, took my Title Up and pushed his role as Jr. to Master. This should not happen.

When the guild realises there's two Alliance Masters, it deregistered me as an Alliance master and defaulted to the person who most recently obtained the role, but since I didn't use the Alliance Leader transfer button, the logs never actually changed. When Alliance master was passed back to me, who was still on the logs as an Alliance Master, probably my UIN or character was registered as undefined or something, or the spot for transfer just didn't exist anymore. This caused Noble to give alliance leader to .... no one.

As a result, now neither of us are Alliance Masters and neither of us can make any changes to the alliance whatsoever.

PLEASE HELP FIX THIS WE NEED TO ALLY MORE PEOPLE

EDIT: IT'S FIXED!!! Shoutsout to xBrett/Bretticuss/Decadron for the SOLID suggestion of swapping guild leaders.

Solution: I used Donor NX to swap guild leaders between a mule, which probably reset the alliance master/jr. records (I'm spitballing, as if I know how the system works), and the alliance page stopped crashing!

The only problem was that when the alliance was reset, neither Chroma nor GangGang were Alliance Leaders, and the alliance was leaderless. So we had to leave the alliance through the Alliance page without disbanding it entirely. This means that our old alliance name of Dreamville was unavailable, and there's probably an empty alliance roaming around in the database. On the other hand, we managed to cop the insanely OG Alliance name of "Dream" which has poggers aesthetic value.

You might want to find a workaround solution if this happens again however, because if another guild leader just doesn't have the money to spend on Donor NX like I did, they would be stuck in crash hell until a GM worked out a way to fix it anyway.

But solid! RESOLVED

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. deer

deer Pac Pinky

Oct 27, 2020
    Female
    Oddville
    3:02 AM
    cervid
    Bishop
    Oddjobs
    A workaround is nice (better than nothing, certainly), but the bug itself should be fixed:
    • Even someone who has the donor NX available to fix this bug still:
      • Has to spend donor NX.
      • Has to rename their alliance.
      • Has to pay 5 000 000 mesos to create a new alliance.
    • This is technically a security bug, because the server blindly accepts malformed packets from clients, thus putting it into an invalid state. This invalid state is potentially harmful to the server’s security (e.g. if it can cause a server crash), and we already know that it’s harmful to the clients’ security, because it allows bogus packets to crash client processes. Obviously, if there were some way to cause remote code execution — which no one has demonstrated, I’m just saying that if it crashes the client, RCE is tEChNiCaLLy a possibility — that would be way worse. But even so, a simple crash (which is otherwise harmless) is a DoS, much in the same way that “map crash” bugs are considered DoSing.

• Like Like x 2
    • Great Work Great Work x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1