1. Hello!

First of all, welcome to MapleLegends! You are currently viewing the forums as a guest, so you can only view the first post of every topic. We highly recommend registering so you can be part of our community.

By registering to our forums you can introduce yourself and make your first friends, talk in the shoutbox, contribute, and much more!

This process only takes a few minutes and you can always decide to lurk even after!

- MapleLegends Administration-
  2. Experiencing disconnecting after inserting your login info? Make sure you are on the latest MapleLegends version. The current latest version is found by clicking here.
    Dismiss Notice

Embracing Power Creep: Gear Progression and Scroll Crafting

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Hiyo, Dec 1, 2021.

1. Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    7:53 AM
    Hiyo
    Camper
    Table of Contents
    1. Introduction
    2. How the system works
    3. Potential Problems
    4. Final Words

Introduction

Power creep is inevitable in RPGs, what was once average will become below average in time. This is very true in MapleLegends, where the average power level in 2018 is lower than what it is in today’s Maplelegends. However, with the bar raised to what is considered to be average, the floor and cost to reach and progress to enter the end-game also goes higher. This is a concern to many of the players who reached, are reaching or wanting to reach the end-game in a server that has aged and matured to what it currently is.

I previously suggested that Mr.Do needs an upgrade in his craft and be able to craft 10% and 60% scrolls as well as the inclusion of pirate-specific weapon scrolls. This introduces a way for players to get scrolls without relying on extreme levels of RNG either from hunting mobs for a small chance to get a scroll, kill area bosses or through gachapon and its pool of hundreds of items. Odds range from uncommon to rare and this makes buying or selling a more reliable way of obtaining these scrolls, not that trade is bad, but for the sake of getting things your way without relying on others, that is what some players may want and have expressed in the past and currently in the present. However, the suggestion of Mr.Do’s craft getting an upgrade does not solve the problem for mid-game and end-game players.

The main problem for many mid-game players is the supply of some 30% scrolls and 70% scrolls that are gachapon locked. As for end-game players, the issue is the demand for end-game commodities such as White Scrolls, Chaos Scrolls and to an extent, glove scrolls 30/70%. The solution to this problem is lowering the demand of these scrolls by giving the players the option to craft 10% and 60% scrolls to 15% and 65%.

How the system will work:

[​IMG]

Talk to The Glimmer Man to upgrade your 60% scroll to a 65% scroll by providing him:

[​IMG] 60% Scroll [5x]

[​IMG] Subani Ankh [1x]

[​IMG] Wisdom Crystal [2x]

[​IMG] Dark Crystal [2x]

[​IMG] Mesos [2,500,000]

Talk to The Glimmer Man to upgrade your 10% scroll to a 15% scroll by providing him:

[​IMG] 10% Scroll [5x]

[​IMG] Subani Ankh [5x]

[​IMG] Wisdom Crystal [10x]

[​IMG] Dark Crystal [10x]

[​IMG] Mesos [15,000,000]

This will make the suggestion of Mr.Do have more value and importance, as well as increase the value and significance of doing the new Crimsonwood Exchange as it was critiqued to have a feast-or-famine-like reward system with most of the rewards being bad or having no value.

Potential Issues

With the upcoming Prestigious Coin system as well as the scrolls shaking the market there is a sense of uncertainty as to how it all plays out. However, with an ever increasing amount of meso being made on a daily basis, whether it comes from multi-mage farmers or single mage farmers, this will undoubtedly mean prices will gradually increase (whether that is a good or bad thing, is another topic). In the case where White Scrolls and Chaos Scrolls reach the 300m threshold or higher, it will push more people to start caving into sweaty ways of farming meso as a single character (mage or melee) will start to feel tremendously slow.

The introduction of these scrolls in conjunction with the Prestigious Coins will definitely lower the demand (and also increase the supply) needed for White Scrolls overall, as you statistically need ~3.333 less White Scrolls to pass 1 slot with 15% scrolls. However, with Subani Ankh being an item needed to upgrade scrolls, this will ultimately rely on the supply of the ankhs, their market price as well as the market price of the other materials. This will encourage players to do the Crimsonwood Exchange for the Ankhs, which will also cause an increase in the supply of White Scrolls as a result of the two being tied under the same prize pool. This may cause the price drop of White Scrolls, and perhaps the price of Chaos Scrolls as the two scrolls are tied under the Prestigious Coin system, which is either good or bad depending on how you see things.

Final Words

Thank you for coming to my TED talk about embracing power creep and addressing some issues regarding progression and how some systems currently feel terrible.

thanks to fartsyfartsy and SkuireSkuire for helping refine the idea and look at it uwu

• Great Work x 15
    • Creative x 6
    • Like x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Discor

Discor Slimy

Nov 29, 2017
    Male
    I/L Arch Mage
    NANI
    I LIKE THE IDEA, BUT IT LOOKS WAY TO EXPANSIVE FOR A 5% BUFF
    p.s sorry for caps lock

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. raysinz5

raysinz5 Mr. Anchor

Jul 1, 2015
    Male
    12:53 AM
    I/L Mage
    The suggestion itself isn't bad in the sense you aim to solve several issues, but it seems like many people don't truly understand how broken 15% really is.

There needs to be a more appropriate justification for the 3.33 white scrolls you save from using this scroll, otherwise 10% will be obsolete. Let's say the 15m + other crafting materials excluding the ankhs are worth 1/3 of a white scroll. This leaves us valuing 1 subani's ankh to be 3/5 the value of a white scroll, or with the current market price, a whopping 150m per anhk. We should either increase the amount of mesos needed(which imo is a nice meso sink), increase number of ankhs, or both. Otherwise, I feel like the current rates are busted af.

Overall, adding stability and reducing overall number of white scrolls used helps reduce frustration. As someone who hasn't been lucky with 10%, I would definitely welcome this change.

Edit: Actually, I made the same mistake in my other thread, where I forgot to multiply number of expected scrolls to success which is 6.67 in this case. So the expected value per ankh is actually closer to 150/6.67 = 22.5m rather than 150m. So, 5 ankhs per 15% is actually very reasonable rate. Ignore everything above.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. OP
    OP
    Hiyo

Hiyo Headless Horseman Retired Staff

Sep 21, 2016
    Kuwait
    Hiyo
    Camper
    But its 5 ankhs for the 15% OnionF4 also 10%s are used in the crafting process so they're not entirely obsolete.

I won't declare my numbers are perfect (cause they're probably not). Overall, suggestion just adds more player agency in terms of progression and I think that is something that is lacking since you're relying almost entirely on RNG.

• Like Like x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Alyosha

Alyosha Skelegon Retired Staff

Mar 9, 2017
    9:53 PM
    Dostoevsky
    Dark Knight
    Spirit
    It looks good, and where there is moderate cheapness to the 15% craft it'll be filled by the price of Subani Ankhs. If it were implemented(with old ankhs nulled?) we'd probably see them at 20mil+ on day one, and it's a logical price point for anyone who's WS10ing their weapon(Which could very well be a very small market honestly, if anything the server has reached an age where people are more likely to borrow perfect gear than make it)

Given the estimated market value of Ankhs, it does actually make the 65% scroll trade unviable, which is the only criticism I have.

It's also noteworthy to mention that the cwk exchange will pop out 3-4 Subani Ankhs for every WS it creates, given the average from the cwk exchange thread. It means that Subani's are actually more limited than White Scrolls(especially with gachapon), which could have some interesting consequences on the market as a whole. There can never be more 15% scrolls than White Scrolls with this exchange, but how the game reacts to such a concept is beyond the scope of my theorizing.

6. -ovv

-ovv Horntail

Feb 23, 2020
    Male
    9:53 PM
    -ovv
    Beginner
    Honor
    This isn't necessarily a bottleneck, but it is an additive by-product of content that will still end up being suboptimal.

In its entirety, I think all this suggestion would do is increase the incentives for people to go CWK. Currently, CWK exchange is pretty meh in terms of payout - nobody needs the crimson weapons anymore. Balanced Furies and White Scrolls are the only thing worthwhile in terms of payout. Adding utility to Subani's Ankh would only pad the bottom end of the exchange.

Overall, I like this idea, but I think it could use some retweaking - perhaps a means to convert undesirable rewards into Ankhs, or lowering the # of Ankhs required (thus increasing cost of each) and being able to choose Ankhs directly instead.

E.G - make it 3 Ankhs required to craft which could give Ankhs a market rate of ~10m? Would mean ~ 50m cost for a 15% scroll.

7. Nightz

Nightz Supervisor Staff Member Supervisor Game Moderator

Oct 22, 2020
    Male
    6:53 AM
    Nightz
    I/L Arch Mage
    Funk & Pasta
    Moderator Post
    These are the kind of ideas that will make legends great again OnionRay

Sure, when implementing such drastic changes the numbers will need to be heavily thought out as it has great impact on the game.
    Hope something like this could be considered though

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1